Sweet Spot

Why Do Parents Open Social Media Accounts for Their Children?

BellaNaija.com

It has become a trend for new mums in the past few years to have personal social media accounts for their children most times even before their first birthday. Some mothers do this because they don’t want to drown their own personal pages with pictures of their babies, while others desist from doing this for privacy and modesty.

Vlogger Berry Dakara who recently had a baby shared this question about having a separate Instagram account for your baby.

What do you think about parents opening social media accounts (mostly Instagram) for babies? I always thought it was doing way too much but in the past 2 days, I seem to be having a change of opinion.

An Instagram user @mercygr8 had this to say

I think it is a fun way to track baby’s growth. You also have to be ready for the backlash fom internet trolls and people who freely give unsolicited advice. And also the possibility of pedophiles drooling over your beautiful baby girl….so there you have it… the good, the bad and the outright ugly….lol.

Likewise, another person @boluwatiffey said

I’ve always wondered if it was parents “overdoing” it but a friend who has a baby too said that she felt her baby was taking up too much “space” on her ig account and that u would have to scroll for ages to see any pic of her anymore so she decided to open an account for the baby so baby gets her space and she still gets her space. Lol

Some mothers are not buying into the hype, they believe that this kind of exposure may lead to their children’s privacy being invaded and identity theft. So they carefully post adorable pictures of their children as opposed to opening a page specially dedicated to each child.

@Naijanomads on Instagram said in reply to the comment that when you put children’s pictures on the internet it may get outright ugly

that ugly is UGLYYYYYYY that’s why I’ll pass on opening an IG account for my L.O. However, some people have locked accounts where just friends and family are allowed so maybe that can curb the pedophiles.

This mummy @kikelomo has no problem with it, but her husband does. She says

I used to think it was doing too much, but after having my baby I thought why not??? Though I still don’t have one majorly cos hubby thinks it’s insane. I see no big deal about it

Another mummy @lahmeet says she wouldn’t mind using a personal page for her child as a storage space for memories;

Probably for storing memories… I’ve thought of opening an email account for my daughter where I can send her inspiring notes or pictures chronicling her milestones and such. I guess Instagram can serve too.

@ifetiana doesn’t see anything wrong with it

I used to think it was too much too but I realized people do it for different reasons. Some for fun, bonding with the child, some others for storing memories. If it appeals to you, I don’t see why not.

Facebook took a stand against underage children social media accounts in 2012. The social network closed nearly 83 million accounts that were managed by someone other than the person. The company requires children to be at least 13 years old before they can open an account when they are mature enough to handle it.

So BellaNaijarians, where do you stand? Should parents open personal accounts for their children?

Please share your thoughts.

Photo CreditGelpi | Dreamstime.com

1. Corolla

August 1, 2017 at 1:57 pm

It’s doing the complete most! Why do people want to constantly share pictures of their precious tots with strangers? Why not privately send pictures to friends and family that genuinely care about you? Our generation wants to turn everything into trends and #goals . We want strangers to validate us, and tell us how cute our kids and family is. As if having kids is a new thing. People, please keep your lovely kids off social media.

• Poesy

August 1, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Thank you so much for this. You just spoke to me concerning the validation bit. I have been questioning my priorities especially how I use of social media and recently put my Instagram on private. I plan to delete my FB and Twitter soon. Ironically, my planned Master’s thesis is on social media, hehe.

2. King Bae

August 1, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Personally, i think it’s too much…

3. Papacy

August 1, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Isn’t it this kind of thing DJ Khalid is doing with his kid? You’ll snap the child and still post a personal message in the first person (who you’re not). All to feed our narcissistic side.

4. chique

August 1, 2017 at 3:10 pm

When people start trolling on your child you start to complain and act the victim. Not supporting trolls and I don’t PERSONALLY think it’s necessary. SeyiLaw is in a better position to answer your question. No account for no baby for me…

5. Tolu

August 1, 2017 at 3:16 pm

The only account you should be opening for your child is a savings account.

• Curious

August 1, 2017 at 3:26 pm

With access bank right??

• Meee

August 1, 2017 at 3:41 pm

1000 likes for your comment. Let the child make his/her own decision on opening a social media accpunt please. Even adults are gradually exiting social media.

• Manny

August 1, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I like the idea of an email account for one’s child. I have a relative that died from cancer who did this and stored up memories for her children there.
      But asides death, there are times when I read something and I think oh I’d like my child (unborn) to read this and learn from this. An email account could serve as a filing system for such.

• [email protected]

August 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm

I totally agree o

• Nahum

August 1, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Bless you @Tolu!! TO be honest, this is just doing waaayyyyy too much! Na only you born? And see them trying to justify the “muchness” by stating that the pics of the baby are drowning out their own pics, NO BE YOU DEY POST AM?? You new moms need to stop… it’s enough.

• Corolla

August 1, 2017 at 11:15 pm

One million likes for your Tolu. #Gbam

• Corolla

August 1, 2017 at 11:15 pm

*you

• XYZ

August 2, 2017 at 8:09 am

Thanks Tolu!!!

With Access Bank definitely!! I am a very happy customer. They have never given me any cause to not trust them. You child’s present and future inheritance is very safe with them.
      Plus, they are most innovative with their products and services.
      Another plus; their banking halls are devoid of queues.

6. missappleberry

August 1, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I think its a bad idea. I don’t have time to type the number of reasons in my head why i think so but its just a no no for me. Before social media, how did folks keep memories of their kids? Thats one thing i love the kardashians for. They have several picture albums and videos of when they were young. Mama Chris had so much time to gather such memories though! I really do envy them on that. The lady had time and that was before social media…

7. Ottawa Queen

August 1, 2017 at 3:40 pm

In my view, it boils down to one’s personality and lifestyle. I won’t outrightly say it’s wrong or its right. I’m more laidback, lowkey, private or whatever it’s called now. I’m not one who derives pleasure in showcasing anything. I rarely post pics, which I do only during my birthday’s, special events, family celebrations to name a few. For my kids social media accounts, I think i’l rather leave that up to them to decide on how they wanna run their pages. Depending on their own personalities and lifestyles.

8. Spunky

August 1, 2017 at 3:43 pm

No reason justifies this trend Biko. I just won’t get it.

9. Nye

August 1, 2017 at 6:03 pm

For what kwanu? I’m totally opposed to privacy invasion and I’m teaching my kids to cherish their privacy too. I think the need for overexposure is borne out of a need for validation from the www.

It’s not necessary. We need to build a sense of self in children so they know their worth without crossing the line and letting them become narcissistic.

Please by all means, capture the your memories of your children with pictures and videos but do not share them on social media! Rather, open an email account and post same. Your precious ones do not need the oohhsss, Aaahhhss, likes, retweets or ????❤️??????????? from total strangers.

10. Dew

August 1, 2017 at 7:07 pm

This trend doesn’t make sense. Ebuka and his wife, after hiding their baby. Then they open a page for her and bio is don’t repost my pictures or something like that. And I am thinking why did you open the page in the first place. You be kardasian ?

• Smh

August 2, 2017 at 3:50 am

I was just about to comment this lol. Nigerians are so weird. Open Instagram for a baby and out such bio. It’s a different level of narcissism. As if anyone truly cares about your child.

11. Josephine

August 1, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Its something I would never do regardless of how fine my kids are which is why I am told most people do it.

12. OJ

August 1, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Our people shaaa, we too dey copy copy, every damn thing copy, hian!!! after they open SM account for the baby, soon they would want to display the baby shoes and bag collections..”i just got this Luis Vuttorn bag for her birthday” and hashtag it bla bla bla and some other women would now start putting pressure on thier already burdened husband, ” baby i think little Tochi deserves Channel bag, baby pls now”…forgetting that there are plenty Evans disciples out there watching and waiting to strike. God help this generation

13. MamaD

August 2, 2017 at 7:06 am

I think mummy’s do that as a means of trying to get the attention of modelling agencies. Anything for extra Cash you know.

14. Joe

August 2, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Trust me, no one cares that much about your children. Do yourself a favor and spend time with them for real and stop faking the funk online. Some people sha. Always trying to be relevant. It’s very ok for no one to talk about you or your kids. Don’t worry u won’t die.