News

Nivea responds to Backlash over Billboard with tagline “For visibly fairer skin”

BellaNaija.com

Ghanaian musician Fuse ODG had in an Instagram post called out personal care brand Nivea for an ad campaign promoting a “fairer skin.”

The ad, for the brand’s lotion, featuring former Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria Omowunmi Akinnifesi, has as its tagline: “For visibly fairer skin.”

Fuse ODG had asked that the billboard be taken down all over Africa, else people would do it for the brand.

However, in a post on Facebook, Nivea has said hey had no intention to “to demean or glorify any person’s needs or preferences in skin care.”

“We respect every consumer’s right to choose products according to their personal preferences,” the brand said, possibly highlighting the fact that some people in this part of the world actually do seek a fairer skin.

See the full post below:

We in no way mean to demean or glorify any person's preferences in skincare - Nivea on Criticized Ad - BellaNaija

Fuse ODG however responded to Nivea’s statement saying that the company missed the point of the backlash. Fuse ODG said people do not have a problem with the product Nivea is selling, but the “ideal” that beauty comes in a “fair” or “light” skin.

See post below (Swipe left):

1. Udegbunam Chukwudi

October 20, 2017 at 5:27 am

I do get his message but I’m so not for all this “hug your imperfections” rant. Biko if you’re not comfortable with uneven skin tone, flabby abs, crooked teeth and what have you and you have the means to fix them, you should be able to fix them without anyone making you feel like you’re undermining your race, being vain or whatever

• californiabawlar

October 20, 2017 at 7:20 am

Visibly clearer not visibly even. Dude!

Nivea! Why don’t you stay in your lane and stop embarrassing your brand with this nonsense campaign? Not like you’ll be successful at it. Because this is not India that you can be selling nonsense greasy creme to people in the name of ‘fairer’ skin o. Who ‘fair’ skin epp? We Nigerians go all the way with our bleaching/whitening/yellowing. I mean… you really think you can compete with the Isale Eko mixers, the people mixing milk baths for the Northerners, or even antifungal N150 tube creams that have been in the business since 19gbiridim… lets not even mention the new-age entrepreneurs like Bobrisky and the whiteniceous chick?
      Biko come correct or swerve… if you’re going to damn the consequences then just come out and say it as it is! If not, take this BS down.
      I bet some genius thought it was a smart ad campaign move to do this nonsense…. “Hey guys! lets cash in on the Nigerian bleaching epidemic market” …. thunder fire una!
      Omowunmi… no words for you.

• B

October 20, 2017 at 7:29 am

I agree with you to a large extent. If your means affords you the opportunity to change some things about yourself that you don’t like, please do so. I used to use this body cream back in school and i loved it at the time.
      Bleaching cream brands advertise their creams with tag lines like “for white skin” but nob

2. Val

October 20, 2017 at 5:31 am

Well said. I agree with everything he has said and admire the way he firmly and articulately communicated his opinion with respect and dignity. Unlike many celebrities. Better pesin.

3. Ec

October 20, 2017 at 6:01 am

Nivea knows that they are wrong in this . So I guess bye bye to you too.

4. Ephi

October 20, 2017 at 7:40 am

Well said FUSE! Nivea should goan take a seat. Dumb response. The earlier these companies realize this is a different generation of Africans, the better for them.

5. Missy

October 20, 2017 at 8:38 am

But this lotion darkens the skin. .I’m naturally very fair. I decided to buy it and my skin turned dark. I had to quickly stop using it. Let’s focus our energy on other important things abeg

• Loool

October 20, 2017 at 9:08 am

Have you ever heard of the proverb that when the big ant floors you, the small ones too will make an attempt? ***Focus on more important things,*** like an attack on the identity of a race is not an important thing.

6. Della

October 20, 2017 at 9:19 am

Abeg abeg, y’all should just rest! Ah ah! Dove’s ad was obviously racist but i see nothing wrong in this one for crying out loud. Africans sha! Sometimes, we do the most. Haba. Funny enough, I use this cream, A million and one people out there use it too. I don’t see anything degrading in the ad. Only insecure people go dey complain. Aneg, buy cream or sleep!

7. Cutieylicious

October 20, 2017 at 9:32 am

I do not know what ppl are on about concerning this advert! if I want a fairer skin I would simply buy n if I don’t I simply waka pass shikena! Bitter truth is most ppl want a fairer skin, abeg to each its own! I hp ppl making noise abt this know there is Nivea Whitening wiv its serum (was actually shocked cos those ppl are white already) sold in Malaysia? Ppl forget that these brands have a range of products for their diff regional markets and cater to the needs of their target populace! It will do u no harm to find out abt these products!

8. Ms Kunms

October 20, 2017 at 10:16 am

Meanwhile, I’m this Fuse ODG has featured light/fair skinned ladies in his videos….

• Jaygirl

October 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm

You have totally missed the point. Mtchew.

9. Xplorenollywood.com

October 20, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Honestly to each his own! I have a need to have an even toned skin, as such this product might or might not work for me. Why is he acting like truly this advert whether by Nivea or anyone else will change people’s already laid down perception? If i need to go light, i know the products that will get me there, if I need an even tone, i know those products too!

10. Sigh!

October 20, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I don’t really get why ppl are so vexed by this ad, it didn’t say for you to look beautiful you should have fairer skin like fuse is implying, it just said for “visible fairer skin”, it could have been easily been “ for summer glow tan” just like lots of skincare companies abroad advertise

11. Bolaji

October 20, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Fuse is a celebrity! Ordinary people do not go taking down any billboards and get arrested! He won’t bail you!