Scoop

Tenny Coco is Embracing her Melanin Magic!

BellaNaija.com

Makeup artist Tenny Coco whose real name is Teniola Aisha Kashaam is embracing her melanin magic and we’re here for it.

The makeup artist shared a photo of herself earlier today on her Instagram page where she was lighter in one and darker in the other, she spoke about how she started lightening her skin at a young age and how bleaching turned into an addiction.

Tenny also reveals how she overcame the addiction and slowly stopped bleaching saying that right now she’s getting her skin back to how it was.

Read her post below:

My Road to Melanin
At the age of 19, I started lightening my skin….. By the time I was 20, I had become a heavy Skin bleacher… at the time it felt almost normal, I felt like I looked more attractive….. it became an addiction, I just couldn’t stop. I craved so much to be lighter.. I felt being black wasn’t beautiful enough. What a stupid way to have thought… I guess the society we live in played a little role in my decision to bleach my skin… coupled with being very Naive at that age. It’s widely perceived that the lighter you are, the more beautiful you look. To be honest I always knew it was a bad thing… I mean, I had seen loads of people with ridiculously damaged skin courtesy the effects of bleaching but I was just so deep into it… like I said it’s actually an addiction.

As my 25th birthday started approaching I started to do a lot of Soul searching, a lot of self evaluation… concerning every area of my life and I finally started to see the light… to see how crazy I had been all these years… how crazy it was for me to have believed that my black skin wasn’t beautiful, to have allowed myself to feel inadequate or to try and tell God ‘ how you created me isn’t good enough’ what a silly, crazy way to have lived. Today I’m more than grateful that I finally saw the light. Black is beautiful! So beautiful! Never have I ever felt as beautiful and as at peace with my skin tone as I do now… Please Love your skin/Yourself the way God has made you…. you are beautiful, you are enough.

Time will always tell… imagine how I would look 10-15 years from now if I had continued to bleach my skin. Please don’t do it… I did it and I Had/ have so much Regret… it’s not worth it. You are beautiful just as you are.

I get a lot of messages asking me, how I was able to transition my skin back… I will be sharing all the tips soon enough.
Thank you to everyone who helped me get through this…… the Amount of support I have received is enormous… Thank you.

1. Fabulicious

October 26, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Good for you girl. You are pretty. Now i hope slay queens and upcoming ones will hear.

• slayqueen

October 26, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Looking good and slaying doesn’t make one a bad person, a ‘runs gir’l or a bleacher. Please there is nothing wrong with being a slayqueen, I’ve only seen it used derogatorily by dumb Nigerians and I believe you’re not one of them. There are after all, many naturally lightskinned women in Nigeria especially from the South East, middle belt and the North. Instead of picking on bleachers let’s attack the colourism eating up Nigerians, especially women.

• Osa

October 27, 2017 at 4:41 pm

@fabulucious dont mind slayqueen. She has deep rooted issues.
      We all know what ‘slayqueen’ is almost synonymous with in most cases

2. Wunmi

October 26, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Toke makinwa they are speaking to u

• ekalor

October 26, 2017 at 2:37 pm

How is this necessary. you must always remember it is a personal decision

3. The Real Oma

October 26, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Loud it sister; there are many at the back…

4. mylady

October 26, 2017 at 2:19 pm

same here. i bleached my skin so much i almost started seeing my veins then one day i thought about it why are you doing this to yourself? the amount i was spending on cream and mixing smh. i wasnt even getting the right attention so i decided to revery to my old melanin skin. EBONY BLACK now i am slowly reverting and i am sooooo happy i even have peace of mind. my scars heal quicker even so gurllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll i am with you well done x

5. Deleke

October 26, 2017 at 2:46 pm

So on LIB this girl says “don’t bleach, Do Not Do It” but on here on BN, caption says she is embracing her melanin. So which Is the real deal or you guys know how to spin a story? Inquiring minds wanna know

• Baby gurl

October 26, 2017 at 3:40 pm

It’s the same message, Deleke. Melanin is the dark brown to black pigment that is responsible for the tanning of shin that is exposed to sunlight. Brown girls all over the world are said to “embrace their melanin” as a way to express love for their brown skin. So as Tenny Coco has begun embracing her melanin, she is telling us to do the same and not bleach.

• Baby gurl

October 26, 2017 at 4:01 pm

*skin

6. marlee

October 26, 2017 at 3:11 pm

she is full of makeup its hard to tell her skin color. wash off all the paste you put on and then we will believe that you are embracing your true color, Period.

• corolla

October 26, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Go and wash the face for her na.

• Osa

October 27, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Marlee actually has raised a valid point. The pictures look like the only difference between them are the camera lights

7. Chief

October 26, 2017 at 3:55 pm

It brings my heart joy to see dark skin women embracing their blackness,distinctive features.We should be proud of our melanin as black people.God made you this way so you have to be happy with who you are.Embrace your dark skin.Your skin absorbs sun rays..Melanin is responsible for determining skin color and is present in the skin to varying degrees depending on how much a population has been exposed to sun historically.This reminds me When i was a teenager i never liked dark skin women.I equated beauty with light skin and long hair.As a grown real man that’s not the case now.I think the media,advertisements perpetuated the myth that dark skin women are less than beautiful and we as Africans must say NO to that nonsense.Beauty shouldn’t be defined by skin color..Stop comparing skin tones.Who cares if your skin is lighter or darker than the person standing next to you.It’s all about confidence in your own skin and in your beauty.It’s corny but it’s true.

I think that when we talk about healing this colourism issue in Africa,is that it start with healing yourself.Because you are the only person you can control.Work on yourself and treat yourself the way you would talk to somebody who are trying to heal.And when we as African men tells bleached women that they look beautiful as form of endearment,we are insinuating that her beauty comes from her bleached melanin.My hope is that this post can remind you of why you should proud of your melanin.Why you should be proud of your heritage as an African regardless of how light or dark your skin is..Forget about the messenger and focus on the message for a change.Thanks.

8. Ese

October 26, 2017 at 5:54 pm

too much make up impressionable lady

• linda

October 26, 2017 at 6:25 pm

In 2017 we’re judging women for makeup? All these barefaced natural hair wicked aunties in church nko. Plus she’s a makeup artist, she has to show off her craft.

• Jay

October 26, 2017 at 11:06 pm

There’s nothing wrong with makeup, Linda. That’s all you could’ve said. It’s all about preference. That would’ve been a better and sensible comment than referring to bare faced natural hair wicked aunties in Church; what was that? Petty and senseless comment. The irony is that you’re also judging bare faced, natural hair people so you’re just as irrational as Ese. Many of you comment like your brains are still developing.

• linda

October 27, 2017 at 2:44 am

She called Teni Coco impressionable so what rubbish are you defending? the point is that bare faced people with natural hair can be wicked or impressionable. Afterall conservatism is the dominant culture in Nigeria so doing it can easily mean you’re doing it for people to be impressed meanwhile you’re wicked inside. At least comprehend before crying blood on BN. Ayea, you will be alright. Or not LMAOOO.

• Jay

October 29, 2017 at 6:02 pm

I am crying blood because I’m shocked by your pettiness and stupidity? ?? I said that you can defend that wearing makeup is completely normal and people have different perspectives, as opposed to judging people that don’t wear makeup (your comment about natural hair bare faced church whatever was brainless and immature), because by doing that you’re equally as mindless as the commenter you’re disagreeing with; which makes you a hopeless hypocrite. Please don’t come for me abeg. If you can drag something, just in a bid to support another, then you lack wisdom and are completely shallow.

9. Lmaoo

October 26, 2017 at 6:14 pm

How about embracing your natural eye colour too? She always looks animated. HATE her makeup.
    But good on you for realising that clear tone was a mess. She was way past light skinned.

10. Proud Bleacher

October 26, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Yawns!!! as for me, I am on a life-long bleaching programme…and I love my self so much..lol

• Osa

October 27, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I love you proud bleacher for straight talking ???? but pls easy with the bleaching. It has irreversible effects

11. @linda

October 26, 2017 at 8:11 pm

So because they are barefaced and in church they must be wicked?! You will not stop your own stereotyping yet you’re complaining about being stereotyped?

• linda

October 27, 2017 at 2:16 pm

mumu I said they can be barefaced AND wicked. Asin bareface doesnt mean you’re a good person as makeup doesn’t mean you’re bad. Jheeze is comprehension so hard for you people at your big age?

12. Desire

October 27, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Good for her actually. Her bleached skin was discolored. Almost like “low current”. (lol).

I think where a lot of dark women have missed it is getting good moisturizers that make your skin smooth. So most times they get sucked into lightening their skin in the bid to look fresh or have nice skin.
    I,’m still in the business of looking for the best skin care products for me too anyway….

Lest i forget, Tenny needs to embrace her natural face form also. That permanent pout looks somewhat retarded and deformed.

smile more… you will never look like Kim Kardashian!