Scoop

“Mercy and I are not fighting” – Lanre Gentry

"Mercy and I are not fighting" - Lanre Gentry - BellaNaija

Lanre Gentry, estranged husband of Nollywood actress Mercy Aigbe, has in an interview with Punch said him and his wife are “not fighting.”

Gentry and Mercy Aigbe had made news headlines in 2017 after the actress accused him of domestic violence.

Mercy Aigbe had changed her name on social media, letting go of her husband’s name and campaigning against domestic violence.

While it is unclear if the two are back together, Gentry has said him and Mercy Aigbe “talk every day.”

Gentry had on Mercy Aigbe’s birthday wished her a good one on his Instagram, writing:

Today you are @40 even though we are fighting I still say happy birthday to you because you are still my wife and my children mother as I use to call you ones again happy birthday to you Mercy Aigbe Gentry. Long life and God bless you.

Gentry, in his interview with Punch, said the “fighting” he referenced in his birthday wishes was “normal lovers’ quarrel.”

He explained that the reason he was absent at her birthday party was he had traveled to Dubai.

He said that although he was not in the country, he sent her gifts and a birthday cake. He said:

Mercy and I are not fighting. We talk every day.  I know that in the birthday wish I sent to her via Instagram, I wrote that we are still fighting but what I actually meant was not a real fight but the normal lovers’ quarrel. I am a very peaceful person and I don’t like fighting, most times, I compare myself to water which has no enemy.

The main reason I was not at her birthday party was that  I was not in Nigeria on that day. I travelled to Dubai and I returned on Wednesday. Despite the fact that I was not in the country, I bought her a birthday cake and other gifts I would not want to mention because it is an issue between husband and wife.

Mercy follows me on Instagram, so, I was surprised that the news went round that she is following me again. If she had ‘unfollowed’ me before, there was no way I would have noticed because I have a lot of followers on Instagram.

1. Ec

January 6, 2018 at 10:26 am

Mercy stay far far away from this abuser

• Jade

January 6, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Mercy is a grown woman, let her decide for herself. Likes attract each other. Why do we always think women are some victim and deserve better.

2. tatz

January 6, 2018 at 10:38 am

How did mercy get caught up with this man in the first place. He’s so immature

• Cyn

January 6, 2018 at 3:12 pm

What makes you think Mercy deserves any better? She obviously doesn’t think so. Garbage attracks flies. The fact some of these women are famous and you see them on your screen does make them better human beings. A decent man is looking for a decent woman and vice versa. These two deserve each other.

3. Mariah

January 6, 2018 at 11:54 am

I saw so many comments on IG and on blogs asking Mercy to go back to this man/praising her for going back. I was thinking ‘Wow.’ Are Nigerians so ignorant? Go back to a man who gave her a concussion? What if it had led to permanent brain damage? If she had become a vegetable. he wouldn’t have hesitated to marry another woman and dump her somewhere!

• Fizzy

January 6, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Those asking her to go back are as ignorant as the Mercy herself. I knew she’ll run back to her vomit when she said her heart was gladdened that Saidi Balogun sprayed money on Fathia at her birthday party. Mercy is an oloju kokoro. Small money will get her running back. I must belong by fire by force.

4. Lilo

January 6, 2018 at 12:42 pm

He has used bank alert to get Mercy s attention again ? Ok o

5. June

January 6, 2018 at 12:59 pm

“Normal lovers quarrel” ???!!!!! Let me just face my front and be going! Wow!

• Ottawa Queen

January 6, 2018 at 3:50 pm

My dear I follow you for back they go too ohh! Normal lovers quarrel that will land you in hospital in “the abroad”. . .make I wear shoe dey go o! Na una know!

6. Sarah

January 6, 2018 at 1:10 pm

My mom would always say, never pick sides between a couple that is fighting, because when they settle, you will be the enemy. I am always neutral on these kinds of issue, my opinion is my opinion.

7. Fizzy

January 6, 2018 at 1:54 pm

“Mercy follows me on Instagram, so, I was surprised that the news went round that she is following me again. If she had ‘unfollowed’ me before, there was no way I would have noticed because I have a lot of followers on Instagram”.

This is 2018, women, thou shall not be unequally yoked.

8. Letty

January 6, 2018 at 5:02 pm

My children mother as i use to call you ones again. To crown it all English is impossible for him. No coherent thought. He’s a jump off who has become totally obscure and is no longer celebrated and not in the limelight since abusing mercy. Well if she thinks she can tolerate him good luck to her. Mercy loves social media I only wonder how this will all play out.

• CrazyWorld

January 7, 2018 at 7:58 am

You that you understand English perfectly, where’s your mansion and billions. What we ask them to boil, they won’t boil it….they will say they can boil 200 needles.

9. tolulope

January 6, 2018 at 11:29 pm

This dude is sick!

10. Loki

January 7, 2018 at 4:33 pm

There could be a lot of truth to the “we are not fighting”. As I learned in Uni, there is a difference between fighting and beating….