Sweet Spot

Celebrity Cakes Maestro Tosan Jemide Set to Retire at 50

After more than two decades in the business, celebrity cake maestro and leading baker, Tosan Jemide of the Cakes by Tosan fame has announced that he will officially be retiring from active cake-making to focus on new projects including mentoring and setting up a cake school. Known for designing some of Nigeria’s most iconic cakes and winning several awards, Tosan, who turns 50 this month will also be launching a book titled Sugar Icing, as part of activities marking the celebration.

Speaking on his retirement plans recently, Tosan said that he is indeed grateful for the many opportunities he has received over the past two decades. He also expressed his excitement about what he called the “new phase” of Tosan Jemide, which will be referred to as CBTImpact, focused on giving back to society and mentoring Nigeria’s next generation of cake masters. He said:

“I am not retiring into oblivion; actually, I may become even busier with some of the new projects we will be embarking on over the next few months and years. The whole idea is to help the new generation of entrepreneurs and professional bakers be better at what they do by instituting a new and minimum standard for excellence in the industry.”

Tosan Jemide also said he owed his success in part to the formalized training he received as a young baker in the United Kingdom, and that, even though he faced several challenges as a rising star, he never lost hold of the fundamentals.

“I think it is the same for every industry,” he said, “those who subject themselves to exacting standards and maintain them through the years, always endure, no matter the weather. And so when you hear all the nice things being said about Cakes by Tosan today, it is mainly because we have refused to compromise on excellence.”

This, he said, is what he hopes to bring about through the CBTImpact project which is set to be launched in the month of April 2018.

As a master icing expert and cake decorator, Tosan Jemide is best known for building the iconic “Tallest Cake in Africa,” a 28 feet masterpiece unveiled in 2013 to global recognition and acclaim. He has also made cakes for many of Nigerian leading elite, while enjoying wide patronage from individuals of all classes. More recently Tosan has taken to bread-making, and is currently the President of the Premium Breadmakers Association of Nigeria (PBAN). He is also the Managing Director of Topcrust Bakeries.

1. Lol

March 20, 2018 at 7:39 am

Better late than never. I was expecting he would have opened up a school earlier but others such as dewdrop cakes, dripple cakes, andy clarkcakes and lizzie okon who i believe trained under him are already setting the pace in this area.
    Nigerian cake market is so saturated that I’m not sure how people get their market share. Saying that though…if you are talented it shines through and much admiration to those putting a twist on things including livvytwist.
    I hope he brings us a tv program such as cakeboss and cake genius etc. Organise or extend the cake international arm in nigeria, launch a naija bakeoff version. He really inspired everyone at his peak!

2. Radiant

March 20, 2018 at 9:05 am

Happy birthday to him in advance. Yours is an inspiration life and I wish you many amazing years. Success in the new phase. Greater impact and health. I may not have eaten a cake by Tosan but I am so glad to have heard about it.

Cheers.

• Radiant

March 20, 2018 at 10:05 am

*Yours is an inspiring life*

3. Kudos

March 20, 2018 at 1:43 pm

Congrats on 50 years Tosan and here’s wishing you more blessed years ahead. Well done on all the achievements and we are here routing for you for the next chapter.

4. SingleMoms Club

March 20, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Totally luv Cakes by Tosan! Wow, never knew it was a man running it. Wow wow. And he is handsome on top. Nice. HBD

5. Zahra

March 20, 2018 at 1:48 pm

You are an inspiration,and I wish you the best in this new chapter

6. Laurey

March 20, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Amazing!!! I wish you the best sir! Continue to Soar…

7. Icing

March 20, 2018 at 1:55 pm

You inspired me to start my cake business. I can’t wait to get my hands on your book.

8. RZP

March 20, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Congratulations Cuz!!!

9. Kuku

March 20, 2018 at 9:52 pm

Happy birthday in advance Tosan….many more fruitful years ahead!
    Inbetween…..life is not a race neither is it a competition. If he decides to open a cake school when he turns 70, good for him. If he doesn’t even venture into that, the “gooder”. We should stop all these unnecessary comparisons…dewdrops has started a school so Mr. Tosan is late! SMH

10. OA

March 21, 2018 at 3:04 am

I like his baff (Naija men can dress sha!) and he’s a fine man – see photogenics! Yeah, I hope he sets up a TV program or Youchoob series (as pronounced by Taylor – the small precocious girl from the Islands on Facebook), so that people like us can enjoy the shows. Nuts About Cakes had a show at some point but it was quite brief. Something like that will be really cool coming from such a connoisseur (and a fine man). Te-he-he!

11. Yagazie

March 21, 2018 at 10:55 am

Please I need to know when the book comes out.Bellanaija please update us.