News

Ciara gives a shoutout to Tiwa Savage for “the inspiration and sample used in #FreakMe”

BellaNaija.com

Ciara gives a shoutout to Tiwa Savage for "the inspiration and sample used in #FreakMe"

Ciara

On Friday, Ciara released a single titled Freak Me, which she featured singer Tekno who also produced the track.

Fans were quick to point out the similarity between the rhythm of Freak Me and Tiwa Savage‘s Before Nko, a track in her 2015 album R.E.D.

Ciara has taken to Twitter to give Tiwa Savage her credit on the song.

“Shout out to on the inspiration and sample used in #FreakMe! She’s a beast! I fell in love with the melody when I first heard it in Africa 3 years ago ❤️??. So good. #AfroWave,” she wrote.

Listen to Freak Me below:

Listen to Before Nko below:

1. jah rule

August 10, 2018 at 9:56 pm

which country did she visit 3 years ago called Africa??

• Teejay

August 11, 2018 at 3:55 am

Dis she say she visited a “country named Africa” she said when she heard it in Africa…its no different from me saying I bought my watch when I was in Europe or middle east, you can then ask which country…we need to chill with this always ready to battle attitude….nawa

• Kimya

August 11, 2018 at 11:45 pm

I know, this so crazy !

• Na dem dey rush us

August 11, 2018 at 4:02 am

Thank you for mentioning this. I was just about to post a similar remark when I read her tweet. It’s 2018 and people are still referring to Africa as a country and not a continent smh!

2. Hotchick

August 11, 2018 at 12:08 am

🙂 Jah Rule oh!!! You will not wound me. Oya Ciara, come an chop, your food don land — for Africa:-).

3. Na dem dey rush us

August 11, 2018 at 4:00 am

My concern with this “shout out” is that would she had acknowledged this if Tiwa’s fans didn’t point out the obvious similarity in both tracks or is she doing this because of the harsh remarks that some people said?
    There’s nothing wrong with sampling a song (artists do that all the time, yes your faves included) but integrity lies with those who are honest, upfront, and give due credit to the artist whose song (s) was sampled.

• Vera

August 11, 2018 at 8:17 am

how do you know Tiwa and her team aren’t already aware of Before Nko being sampled. Before you can sample a song on a track for commercial purposes you need to get clearance from the originator. So I’m quite sure Ciara’s team had already done this. There is no need to publicly acknowledge who you sample. Samples are found in almost every song these days and very few artistes shout out the original. So I don’t see how she was trying to be dishonest

• Dayo

August 12, 2018 at 8:53 pm

@Na dem, Tiwa is listed in the writing credits…

4. Spunky

August 11, 2018 at 8:09 am

This song will certainly rub off on you. Give it time. For all its worth, had me sorting out my CD collection for Tiwa’s “red”…cool album.

5. lami

August 11, 2018 at 3:32 pm

My take on this, is that tekno is behind this, remember he reproduce” Jogodo “without permission from Danfo drivers. Tekno lacks originality .

• Dayo

August 12, 2018 at 8:57 pm

@lami, Tiwa is listed as a songwriter on the song’s credits…
      But always interesting to see the Nigerian being held responsible for anything shady.

6. Cocoa

August 11, 2018 at 3:37 pm

I don’t even have to hear the song…i already know a song titled “freak me ” will certainly have NOTHING to offer my soul.

Ciara you said you are a Christian, sister break free of this bondage and free those you also have held captive!!! Nothing about your music shows God’s influence. I’m rooting for you.

• TheRealist

August 12, 2018 at 8:55 pm

So Christians don’t “freak” their spouses? Or each other other? SMH

• Anon

August 13, 2018 at 7:33 pm

@Cocoa, so Christians don’t “freak” their spouses or significant others? No wonder you lot are often so uptight! Lmao!

7. Cocoa

August 13, 2018 at 10:15 pm

If we are uptight it is because we carry heavy burdens for the rest of you still in darkness. Our hearts are heavy and we are praying for you to know and cherish your Maker.

Perhaps your question was meant for those fornicating because i certainly wouldnt degrade the coming together of a godly man and his wife to “freak” …..sex in MARRIAGE is a blessed and sacred act.