News

Genevieve Nnaji’s ‘Lionheart’ starring Nkem Owoh, Pete Edochie & Onyeka Onwenu to Premiere at #TIFF18

BellaNaija.com

Nollywood actress Genevieve Nnaji’s latest production ‘Lionheart’ which was shot last year, is set to have its world premiere at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival.

The movie follows Genevieve who plays Adaeze, a level-headed executive in her father’s bus company, Lionheart Transport. Time and again, Adaeze has proven her keen ability to make a profit and to manage the most heated situations. But when her father falls ill, both her and her rival are passed over in favour of Adaeze’s less-than-suave uncle, Godswill.

Determined to fight her way to the top, but not wanting to go against her father’s wishes, Adaeze feels like the proverbial bus has left the station without her. She must quickly shift gears, however, when her and Godswill discover that Lionheart is running on fumes, financially. Together, the unlikely duo must come together to save the company and their family name.

Sharply and comically observed, the film deals with the everyday sexism that saturates workplaces everywhere, and captures the delicate balance between honouring one’s family while finding the courage to strike out on one’s own.

Lionheart stars Nkem Owoh, Pete Edochie, Onyeka Onwenu and more, and this would be Genevieve’s directorial debut.

The festival is scheduled to take place from the 6th to the 16th of September 2018.

See more photos below:

Photo Credit: TIFF

1. Mrs chidukane

August 23, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Can’t wait to watch it. Nkem Owoh is one of my everlasting faves. I’m happy she went to the old school nollywood people. All the best Genevieve. Always looking sweet sixteen.

• Californiabawlar

August 23, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Yes!!! Nothing like regular Nollywood folks mehn! Someone needs to help integrate these spree spree new school on Iroko and their mediocre soulless performances with the older ones. Even the new guys we laud as decent will benefit. I can’t imagine Blossom sharing the screen with Pete Edochie! His performance will improve exponentially!

p.s. perfect example: watch earlier movies of Yvonne Nelson… one of her first films was with Nkem Owoh… the babe was actually watchable. Now compare that to the nonsense she does now just chewing gum and catwalking upandan as if she’s doing self promo ??‍♀️??‍♀️

2. Allwell

August 23, 2018 at 4:46 pm

A must watch for me.

3. Awesome

August 23, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Most Anticipated movie of the Year!! Opening at Tiff…. This is MAGOR!! I just can’t wait!!!

4. M

August 23, 2018 at 7:45 pm

I must say with the way the story was presented. I look forward to it. An interesting storyline that’s not been overflogged

5. Elle

August 23, 2018 at 8:30 pm

I personally think a number of the new ones actually act better than some old ones. Genevieve has made a name for herself but I do not think her acting is anything fantastic, always stiff in her movies.

• Californiabawlar

August 23, 2018 at 9:19 pm

I’m with you on a COUPLE of the new ones being good. But I think Genevieve started becoming stiff mid/later in her career. The started type casting her for these weird stone cold roles. In fact reading this synopsis makes me wonder if she hasn’t typecasted herself too… that’d be such a shame ??‍♀️

6. Elle

August 23, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Pete Edochie is a PRO, the man will always have my respect. Solid actor.

7. Chyke

August 23, 2018 at 9:34 pm

@Californiabawlar I get your point on Genny typecasting herself here since Genny’s character is still an executive. But I think it won’t be the usual hot headed executive who is in search of a man. I’ve always been a fan of Genevieve cos she shines even with bad script. She was fantastic in her last movie Road to Yesterday. I’m seriously looking forward to seeing Lionheart.

BTW :: Genny please get a Wikipedia page for Lionheart. Even upcoming American movies that are slated for release in 2019 are on Wikipedia already. We need to be thoroughly informed. Love ya

8. Nnenne

August 24, 2018 at 3:13 am

I simply can’t wait!!!
    The best of Nollywood is coming!!!!

9. John

August 24, 2018 at 8:40 am

Never watched a Nigerian film in cinema but I will gladly do it for this one.

One of my favorite all time best actor Nkem Owoh is there.

I hope he plays the villian . Osofia in a villian role is always double fun.

As for Pete , nothing but respect

10. chi

August 24, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Gene nwa…your movie is a must watch for me. love u forever…

11. Boniface

March 5, 2019 at 5:08 pm

Genevieve is a nice actress. The movie is very good. Many stakeholders are talking about it. Keep it up Geny.