Scoop

Mofe Duncan has a Message for Someone who Body-Shamed Him on Instagram

BellaNaija.com

Mofe Duncan isn’t here for body shaming trolls today! He posted a length post in Instagram in response to an Instagram user who called him fat, saying he’s deceiving himself that he’s ‘chubby’.

The Sons of the Caliphate actor revealed how rude it is to call someone out for being fat especially when it’s difficult to tell the person’s mental or physical state at the time.

In his response, Mofe also revealed that although he suffers acute Spondylosis, his recent weight gain is also to fit into his forthcoming character

So comments like make me realise that some people are short sighted and intrusive. Because I am a public figure, doesn’t give you the effrontery to dish out negative comments at will. Now, let me address this… for the sake of this conversation, @spendoura represents everyone who calls others fat. ☆ • Has it occurred to you that a person might have a medical condition which makes them to add weight?
• Or better still a medical condition that prevents them from losing weight?
• Or maybe the person just doesn’t give two tiny rat asses!

The actor added: “I have been filming back to back since March, which makes me realise, my talent is NOT affected by my weight, neither is my personality, nor my ability to get movie roles. I have bagged major roles because I am not ripped or bearing a six pack, which I would NEVER have bagged but for my frame and mass. • I sat with a prominent Nigerian filmmaker last year, who teased me because I sustained major injuries due to excessive gyming, her words “You want to kill yourself? If all of you are looking like action figure, who is going to play the soft looking roles?”, she ended by saying “Mofe, six pack or not, I will always cast you as long as your talent is required to make the film better.”

To directly answer your comment @spendoura, I suffer for acute Spondylosis (google it), caused by excessive strain on ones lower back, and I have been vehemently advised to NOT do any heavy lifting for at least one year (which expired in June). “Then diet!” You might argue. To which I reply, I am currently working on a project which requires the xter to look exactly the way I look. Once the project commences, you will be tagged for validation of my claim. And lastly, I am very comfortable with myself, my blood pressure is perfect, my lifestyle is decent, and my work gives me the exercise I need. So thank you, but not thanks.

View this post on Instagram

☆ So comments like make me realise that some people are short sighted and intrusive. Because I am a public figure, doesn't give you the effrontery to dish out negative comments at will. Now, let me address this… for the sake of this conversation, @spendoura represents everyone who calls others fat. ☆ • Has it occurred to you that a person might have a medical condition which makes them to add weight? • Or better still a medical condition that prevents them from losing weight? • Or the person is dealing with some sort of depression and as thus comfort eating? • Or is required to add weight due to the job he or she might be involved with, in my case, character believability? • Or maybe the person just doesn't give two tiny rat asses! ☆ I have been filming back to back since March, which makes me realise, my talent is NOT affected by my weight, neither is my personality, nor my ability to get movie roles. I have bagged major roles because I am not ripped or bearing a six pack, which I would NEVER have bagged but for my frame and mass. • I sat with a prominent Nigerian filmmaker last year, who teased me because I sustained major injuries due to excessive gyming, her words "You want to kill yourself? If all of you are looking like action figure, who is going to play the soft looking roles?", she ended by saying "Mofe, six pack or not, I will always cast you as long as your talent is required to make the film better." ☆ To directly answer your comment @spendoura , I suffer for acute spondylosis (google it), caused by excessive strain on ones lower back, and I have been vehemently advised to NOT do any heavy lifting for at least one year (which expired in June). "Then diet!" You might argue. To which I reply, I am currently working on a project which requires the xter to look exactly the way I look. Once the project commences, you will be tagged for validation of my claim. And lastly, I am very comfortable with myself, my blood pressure is perfect, my lifestyle is decent, and my work gives me the exercise I need. So thank you, but not thanks. ☆ • #StopBodyShaming • #FatPeopleHaveSouls • #BeConfident • #BeYou • #InnerBeautyOverOutterAppearance •

A post shared by Mofe Duncan™ (@mofeduncan) on

Photo Credit: @mofeduncan

1. Cocobutter

August 2, 2018 at 10:40 pm

Mofe Duncan one of favourite nollywood actors, please you doe owe a faceless troll an explanation, as we cannot all be the same size. I suffer from SCD and I am sick ad tired of explaining my skinny frame to those I owe no explanation to whatsoever. Kudos though, as I am able to understand your health condition. Regardless of whether the troll gets it or not, you will always remain a nollywood star to me, so keep representing on ROK Studio, and your fans will continue to love you screen.

• TheRealist

August 3, 2018 at 8:29 am

@Cocobutter, you are NOT a public figure and personally I am against body-shaming but..

I simply do not get why PUBLIC figures or celebrities, who rely on an adoring PUBLIC for their fame and their very livelihoods, get all bent out of shape when a member of same PUBLIC comment on their PUBLIC personae (i.e., appearance, personality or actions). Dude, it comes with the territory. Just swallow hard, explain or ignore (whichever one you choose) and move on, without getting your drawls into a darn twist. If this “fan” had made a positive/admiring comment on his weight, I doubt that his response to her would be to mind her own business.

2. Ob

August 3, 2018 at 3:31 am

Ur weight gain is 90% of what you consume .

3. Felinda

August 3, 2018 at 9:16 am

Mschewwwww

So called naijas celebrities with such thin skin, learn from Beyonce. Do you know how much critique Beyonce has gotten over two decades including her daughters hair where a petition even started (compare that to when Seyi Law daughter was critiqued, spent all his time responding) ,

Have you ever heard Beyonce ever respond to any critics or haters. Never.

You guys have such thin skin. If you want to respond to every hater, you’ll be here all day. Spend that time you respond to haters to attend intensive acting classes and polish your subpar acting skills

All you need to do is block and spam that critic and delete the comment simple. It takes two seconds. Instead of that long epistle response you just gave.

Matthew Knowles taught Beyonce so well to deal with critics. Ignore them. Never ever ever respond

Someone needs to start a consulting firm in Nigeria teaching these self proclaim celebrities how to act like a real celebrity. Like Beyonce. Very Private and never respond to haters. She concentrates in her art and that’s it. Nothing else

Ps: the only person who has mastered thia a little bit is Lilian Esoro. She deals with critiques so classy. She ignores and never responds. She owes no one an explanation why she walked away. If you like go and hug a transformer.

This mofe in his feelings. And then hell say it doesn’t bother me. Of course it does.

• Siye

August 3, 2018 at 11:47 am

You LIE!!!!! Beyonce has responded to criticisms! She has even made press conferences about it. In 2008 when Obama won the presidential election and she had to sing the national anthem. She pre-recorded her song and lip synced and people came down on her heavy. She organised a press conference with her team and talked about the issue and then sang again, lmao!!! You know not what you speak of. Back in DC when people came down on her and father heavy for marginalizing the other girls, they did interviews about it and Wendy Williams was one of the people who interviewed Beyonce and that’s what started their age long beef. When it was rumored Beyonce and Rihanna were feuding over Jayz, she responded on Ellen. She has even responded through things like public statements and docuseries. Say what you damn well know!!! Beyonce is Beyonce and Mofe is Mofe. Personalities differ. Doesn’t make anyone better or worse. Diddy responds to critiques on and off social media and he is still the richest man in music, Mayweather, 50cents etc all responds to criticisms and they are still minting. Don’t denigrate somebody else based on another person’s life,especially somebody with a different culture you clearly know nothing about. I really don’t care for this subject but don’t say what you don’t know. You think Beyonce’s approach to critiques and how she responds is better others don’t think so.

• Felinda

August 4, 2018 at 6:45 pm

I said what I said and I’m. Sticking to it.

Z list mediocre celebs can continue with the bafoonery and folks like you can support. All Blah blah blah he just ranted, will that stop critiques. Mschewww. More time needs to be spent on polishing their mediocre acting skills than responding to EVERY critique or spending time on photoshoot.

I repeat they should learn from Beyonce But then again you can’t buy class. .

4. Beth

August 3, 2018 at 11:55 am

Why would people never mind their own business? People like her are the ones with serious issues. Internet warriors, but cowards in reality. If Mofe is not complaining what is your own?

• 9ja

August 3, 2018 at 8:37 pm

BETH, as @therealist said, when those “people like her” were paying his bills and putting food on his table by paying their hard-earned money to go see him probably because they thought he was fine, did you ask them to “mind their own business”? As a public figure, you take the good with the bad.