News

Rev. Yomi Kasali has a message for a “preacher fleecing members…. asking for $1000” | WATCH

BellaNaija.com

The cathedrals we're building is with corruption loot, not tithe and offering - Reverend Yomi Kasali | WATCH - BellaNaija

Senior Pastor of Foundation of Truth Assembly (FOTA) Reverend Yomi Kasali has a few words for a female preacher who he says is “fleecing members. Asking for $1000”.

Although Kasali didn’t mention names in his comments, the message is possibly for Reverend Funke Adejumo who has come under fire (and also received immense support) in recent times after several videos of her asking different congregations to donate money – sometimes in thousands of dollars and euros – went viral.

Kasali, who posted a clip from one of his sermons on Instagram, said:

In today’s world, we have Christians who have had their conscience seared to the point that the line between good and evil has been blurred. A Christian without a conscience is not a Christian and such person is not under the authority of the Holy Spirit. #conscience #christian#killingofconscience

Here’s what the clergy said in the clip:

Christians no longer have conscience. Preachers have dead consciences. I watched the video of a preacher fleecing members. Asking for a thousand dollars! And I said ‘does this woman have a conscience?’ You know you are lying. The bible says ‘speaking lies in hypocrisy… have their consciences seared.’

She knows what I’m saying is right. If she has ear let her hear, Judgement is coming on her very soon. How can you be lying to members in the name of God? We have preachers that are lying on the pulpit daily just to take your money. You come to them saying ‘God told me I should take money from you… sow a seed’. Which seed are you sowing? Where is it in the bible? Where?!

You cannot be a Christian, without a good conscience. The moment you take away your conscience, you’re gone yourself!

1. Vicky

August 5, 2018 at 4:27 am

Fleecing? Please if you don’t want to give don’t!

Use the brain given to you by the same God and think.

2. nene

August 5, 2018 at 5:59 am

The worst rhing christians do is speaking against each other at least not in the open, is there almost any pentecostal church that does not receive seeds sown? If she said God told her to how sure are you she is not saying the truth? Lets walk in love please. If i feel angry at another christian best thing i do is keep mute. Brother don’t demean each other in public. Why not ask her one on one ie wait till the heat is down before you ask her to explain better.

3. o

August 5, 2018 at 9:51 am

Sigh. I just hope this fizzles out fast and the people concerned learn their lessons.

• Californiabawlar

August 5, 2018 at 11:12 pm

Gbam! While I’m not a fan of prosperity teachings, I’m tired of the rhetoric and constant blasting. I join you in wishing that people have learned their lessons and go back to the drawing board (the basics of their faith). I doubt it though… the love of money has hardened their hearts.
      Interestingly, I was discussing this internet drama with my mum just yesterday and she quoted the same “seared conscience” scripture. We’d been penticostal christians since the 80s – before it was cool. Those of us who were raised in small churches back in the day know that it was way different than what’s going on now. In fact I remember how this doctrine slowly encroached our church. It was usually when bigger fancier pastors visited (Bishop Idahosa comes to mind) – they would ask for seeds. I can remember seeing the raw ambition in our Pastor’s eyes wanting to be like them at all costs. Things went out of control and my mom jejely returned to the Anglican Church a few years ago. Me sef I simply rotate between a baptist church and local churches.
      Hmmn. The things I know! The love of money is truly the root of EVIL. And it definitely fosters the rot that Nigeria is stuck in. And my last statement is not some abstract made up theory. These pastors blatantly mingle with corrupt politicians just so they can get paid.

• jokobaba

August 6, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Californiabawlar, you are Baptist? We have a lot in common you know? 😉

• Mrs chidukane

August 6, 2018 at 2:03 pm

So true Cali. Back then in the 80s, we only gave offering once in church. Pastors never asked for seed rather secret donations were taken for Church projects. We hardly ever discussed money in church. Now, its all pastors talk about. Always quick to invite politicians to Church because of fat envelopes.

4. Nelo

August 5, 2018 at 9:53 am

Very well tell them. How can you consciously ask your congregation to pay some huge amout for God’s blessings huuuhh. And Nigerians are one gullible beings, always vulnerable to things of this nature.

5. Nelo

August 5, 2018 at 11:15 am

Bella naija so you now swallow comments huuhh. Where is my comment? Please vomit my comment with all due respect thank you

• jokobaba

August 5, 2018 at 2:51 pm

No be today Nelo.
      I dont know if it is deliberate or a technical error

• Californiabawlar

August 6, 2018 at 4:02 am

I guess they are moderating cos the potential for slander on these posts is astronomical ????
      Oh plus they used to advertise her summits ??

• Uberhaute Looks

August 6, 2018 at 12:47 pm

??????

Religion is the opium of the masses. No deity can enter my pocket except I drop something ooo

6. Tatafo!

August 5, 2018 at 2:08 pm

I don’t understand why this is an issue all of a sudden. Preachers have been doing this for a very long time. This is nothing new.

• Elle

August 5, 2018 at 4:53 pm

That something is “nothing new” doesn’t mean it cannot be pointed out or spoken against. Better late than never.

7. Disguised

August 5, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Salvation is free!! Let people give unto God as it touches their heart to give. When you ask for a certain amount of money and ask them to come forward for prayers, you are simply selling Jesus to the rich.

I might be seating there and can’t afford 1k dollar, does that mean I wouldn’t be blessed that day?

8. Anonymous

August 5, 2018 at 10:09 pm

It’s not criticism. Judgement must start from God’s house. He may have used fleece because she isn’t likely registered in those countries as a non profit so will collect the money tax free! Did you watch her condescension in one of the videos? “ I don’t beg anyone for money “, “there is nothing you give that I don’t have” etc. I have been born again since 1984 and I haven’t seen anything like this. Quit defending her. Read your Bible. Prophet Ezekiel spent a whole chapter on judgement for those regarded as false prophets and Jesus called them “brood of vipers who make converts twice the child of hell as themselves”. It’s not as simple as “don’t pay if you don’t want to”. Charlartans and “Ichabod” agents should steer clear of God’s name and just do yahoo!

9. zzzzzzzzzzz

August 5, 2018 at 10:42 pm

He is a Pastor and so is she. All he could have done is to contact her and speak to her one on one and not drag her in the open, Not right at all

10. MsAtl

August 5, 2018 at 10:46 pm

When you go about asking for specific and huge amounts IT IS NOT GOD…I am a Christian and know the word of God for myself, so all them brainless people saying if u don’t want to give then dont give, I ask you, what the heck are u giving to or for??? When they gave WILLINGLY in the Bible it was to distribute to others of faith who were poor, or to build the temple of God,aside from your willing tithes to God, you are what the Bible calls a fool if u say u are giving to God to bless u.

• Cocoa

August 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm

She is ruuning multiple charity programs, at least i know of the one for widows and abused women.

If more Christians gave without being asked ..the world would sure be a better place. We are meant to look after each other..but many Christians are uncomfortable once money is brought up.

What will they use to run these programmes for the poor, needy and vulnerable ..no be money?

When they say sow a seed..they are not refering to buying salvation . The Bible is clear…a CHEERFUL GIVER is Blessed! You are sowing a seed of hope into another’s life.

If youre so uptight about giving i.e. i.e. sowing, tithe, offering etc….ill say CHECK YOUR HEART…your palms are closed for a deeper reason.

11. Frank

August 6, 2018 at 5:30 am

No difference between Nigerian Politicians and Nigerians Pastors aka Men/Women of god. All are thieves & criminals. Notice it’s god not God. Cause these thieving a– pastors are nothing but thieves. But trust gullible Nigerians to get suckered into their Bulls—. Nigeria has the most churches in the world yet it’s one of the most corrupt & s—hole countries in the world. Go Figure

12. Adeleke

August 6, 2018 at 9:14 am

Dunno why this is an issue. If u wanna give, give, if u do not wanna give, do not give. Your conscience is your must trusted Pastor. You conscience never lies to you. I have been in congregations like this and seed sowing never moves me for once, my lovely wife on the other hand gets moved a lot when its time for seed sowing. It has never been an issue, I do not discourage her and she sometimes tries to dissuade my orientation towards it. I have made my stance clear and the way I see it, it works for her (so she says) and it also works for me. God still blesses us tremendously.
    I gave her a perfect example last night, citing what my ‘akata’ friends always ask; ‘What would Jesus do?’

And I answered that when the taxman was hassling Jesus and his disciples, he didn’t ask them to sow a seed or go crowd-funding, he asked them to go to the river, the first fish you catch, open the mouth and see enough money to pay the taxes. Also, Jesus and money did not seem to be in tandem. The only time he lost his temper was when he saw buying and selling in the temple and he was livid, calling the place a den of thieves (isn’t that what it seems to be now today). When Judas took money for Jesus’ life, bible described his death in graphic details (something to think about)

I am sorry but if I wanna sow into the life of my pastor, money is not the first thing to think about. I also told the wife, remember how we would come to church on Saturdays, and clean the whole church, toilets etc, and how I would go to Pastor’s house, help them clean the house, vacuum, wash their cars, mow their lawn and iron their clothes. I am sorry if that is not seed sowing then my conscience must have been lying to me all this while.

Be wise my people

• Las

August 6, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Adeleke, please this is a genuine question – if you had diligently offered the same services (you offered to your Pastor) to a poor family, do you think you would have received God’s blessing the same way you did? Do you think the Pastor’s life is a more fertile ground than say a widow or an orphan? I ask based on this scripture verse – James 1:27 “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

I am really interested in knowing what you think. Thanks

• Adeleke

August 7, 2018 at 9:24 am

Sir/ma,

Charity they say begins at home and in our acts of kindness, it should come from the heart, and not in the expectation to receive something back in return. Who am I to categorically prove that it is because I sowed into the life of my Pastor (only) that is why God has blessed me? I doubt that to be very honest. What about just praying to God and asking? After all Bible says ‘Ask and it shall be given to you.

Back to your question, I have offered my services to the poor, widowed and fatherless. I left home over 15 years ago and I went back to Nigeria first time about 5 years ago and you cannot imagine the throng of neighbors who came to our house, bringing their kids to show them this is the ‘uncle’ they have been talking about who did this and this for them when he was around. There was a particular one who were twins, one boy one girl, their mom who was a widow and tailor brought them to me, they are about 10 then and she was reporting the boy to me.

She told him how my sister and I came to the hospital when she gave birth, (she was over 50 then, waiting on the Lord for years and her husband died when she was preggers), early in the morning and we gave her food and bought her meds etc. I swear I did not remember the story but how many acts of kindness do you wanna record?

My motto in life is to help anyone who needs help, especially if you are in the position to help. Do it, leave the rest.

• Cocoa

August 6, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Adeleke you’re right that is ALSO seed sowing. It doesn’t mean giving Money isnt as well. Give what you can , acts od service, time, prayer, money, kind words, shelter, food, drink, a smile….just GIVE WILLINGLY AND WITH A CHEERFUL HEART.

• Mrs chidukane

August 6, 2018 at 2:06 pm

God bless you Adeleke. That is what we were taught as working for God and sowing in Hus vineyard when we were growing up. These days its all monetized.

13. Bobosteke

August 6, 2018 at 10:26 pm

A good name is indeed better than riches (whether
    iill-gotten or legitimate). How would she ever be able to live this down?