News

Woman Loses Internship Offer at NASA after Vulgar Tweets to Space Council Member

BellaNaija.com

A woman @NaomiH_official on Twitter lost her internship position at NASA following comments she made to NASA engineering legend and member of the National Space Council Homer Hickam.

In excitement, @NaomiH_official took to Twitter to share news of her internship offer. She wrote (in caps):

Everyone shut the f*** up. I got accepted for NASA internship

Hickam, replied her tweet with “Language.”

She went on to say: “Suck my d** and balls. I’m working at NASA”.

Hickam replied: “And I’m on the National Space Council that oversees NASA”.

After @NaomiH_official was sacked, Twitter users began to criticise Hickam for pulling rank. The Vietnam veteran said he wasn’t responsible for her sack.

In a statement on his blog, Hickam said he’s not offended by the f-word, but was worried NASA might be.

He added that he deleted his comments after “her friends took umbrage and said a lot of unkind things”.

However, according to him, NASA saw the conversation and withdrew its offer.

“This I had nothing to do with nor could I since I do not hire and fire at the agency or have any say on employment whatsoever. As it turned out, it was due to the NASA hashtag her friends used that called the agency’s attention to it long after my comments were gone,” Hickam noted.

Hickam said that he’s helping her get her offer back, adding that “she deserves a position in the aerospace industry”. He wrote:

She reached out to me with an unnecessary apology which I heartily accepted and returned with my own. After talking to her and looking at her resume’, I am certain she deserves a position in the aerospace industry and I’m doing all I can to secure her one that will be better than she lost.

I have also talked to the folks that had to do with her internship and made absolutely certain that there will be no black mark on her record. They have told me she may reapply.

Photo Credit: @CatlinNyaa

1. Jennifer Okundia

August 22, 2018 at 4:38 pm

wow

2. Cocoa

August 22, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Even if your hardwork takes you somewhere…ONLY YOUR CHARACTER CAN SUSTAIN YOU.

Talking like a market woman will have you back out in the job market.

Wisdom sure is profitable…praise God He teaches it to His children.

3. Mrs chidukane

August 22, 2018 at 6:29 pm

What clapping back at the wrong person can do for you. I wish our naija professional clap back people will learn from this.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

August 23, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I can’t wait for a similar lesson to be learned by Nigerian Twitter. They all seem to want to rival each other in savagery and the two minutes of trending fame generated by unbelievably uncouth behavior.

Amazing how people don’t understand that the internet is such a vast open space than your phone screen accounts for, with millions of eyes able to assess your character (or lack of it) from online interactions. Well, dem go learn, las las.

4. OA

August 23, 2018 at 2:34 am

O ga oh. @Cocoa, so true. That one is just a foul-mouthed and uncouth somebody! Hope she has learned her lesson.

5. Mamamia

August 23, 2018 at 8:41 am

When you put out everything on social media… pride def does go before a fall. We really have it worse ( this generation).

6. Dayo

August 23, 2018 at 9:58 am

Nice guy! ?

Btw, I do not think she was being deliberately vulgar in her initial tweet. Unfortunately, that’s just the lingo of many of our generation. Hope it all works out for her.

7. Blossom Beauty Finesse

August 23, 2018 at 2:17 pm

think twice before you speak, they won’t hear ! Oya madam borehole mouth hope you’ve learnt the hard way .

8. Wilmz

August 23, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil, now its post no evil.
    It was unprosessional what she did and sadly a lot of people have been trapped by what they post online, cost them their jobs and a whole lot.

9. Ovadje

August 23, 2018 at 8:22 pm

But NASA is a government agency (not a private corporation) and should NOT be able to fire (or withdraw a job offer) or otherwise infringe or penalize a US citizen for exercising her fundamental constitutional right to free speech that does not breech national security or create imminent danger (e.g., yelling “fire” in a crowded theatre), regardless of the color of the speech.