News

Eunice Atuejide isn’t Happy with Donald Duke & his Statement on Gay Rights

BellaNaija.com

Eunice Atuejide isn't Happy with Donald Duke and his Statement on Gay Rights | BellaNaija

Eunice Atuejide

Who would have believed that LGBT rights would be a topic of discussion going into the 2019 elections?

Presidential aspirant Donald Duke had on Sunday released a statement clarifying his position on human rights.

“Homosexuality is a crime in Nigeria and ought to remain so,” Duke said, but he “would not go seeking homosexuals for prosecution.”

Eunice Atuejide has on her Facebook chastised Duke for the statement, saying that while “homosexuality may be immoral, unacceptable, embarrassing,” still, “it is not a crime.”

“Nobody gets hurt when two or more fully consenting adults indulge in same-sex activities,” Atuejide continued, and LGBT people “are humans. And every human being has a fundamental right to the protection of their privacy.”

She wrote:

You see ehn, when I watched Donald Duke with Folarin ‘Falz’ Falana and Laila Johnson-Salami on @onthecouchnaija I was so proud of him. Today, I feel awfully ashamed of him.

In fact, the only area he actually made sense while on the couch was when he discussed criminalising homosexuality in Nigeria. I drew strength from his views, and felt more confident about my approach to the topic.

Today, when I saw his retraction, I lost the little respect I had started to develop for the man – Donald Duke.

Dear Donald Duke we must state our opinions clearly, and when we have done so, we must stand by them no matter whose oxes are gored!

How else do you Mr. Donald Duke hope to assure the electorates that your word is your bond?! ????

Homosexuality may be immoral, unacceptable, embarrassing etc, but it is not a crime!

Nobody gets hurt when two or more fully consenting adults indulge in same sex activities. We can criminalise public displays, but certainly not whatever fully consenting adults are doing in the privacy of their homes, offices, hotels etc.

They are HUMANS. And EVERY human being has a fundamental right to the protection of their privacy.

Let’s please read or re-read the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We are ALL equal under the laws of this land because we are HUMANS!

And all laws in Nigeria which contravene the Constitution are null and void to the extent of that contradiction.

Prison because one is homosexual runs foul of our Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act and our Constitution. Shikena!

#ANigeria4All

1. jokobaba

September 3, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Donald has caught himself in a conundrum of the political expedient vis-a-vis his courage of conviction. The criminalisation of same sex couples, to the Nigerian mind, exceeds the here and now; it is more important than life and death. Some think the will of the majority should subvert the right of the minority, even if it results in no harm to a third party. I’ll see how Duke navigates this.

2. Udegbunam Chukwudi

September 3, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Ghen ghen!

3. Tolu

September 3, 2018 at 7:07 pm

He cannot navigate from this one, it’s an utter blunder. One retraction is enough! He would simply let this sly. *Fingers crossed* hopefully another opportunity comes for him to win back his voters.

4. Elle

September 3, 2018 at 8:34 pm

“You see ehn…”
    This lady is just so uncouth. I cannot imagine her in that position of president cos she will definitely abuse the position from all her antecedents so far.

5. Dayo

September 4, 2018 at 5:16 am

“Homosexuality may be immoral, unacceptable, embarrassing etc,..” is as backhanded a ‘defense’ as one has ever seen!

6. OgeAdiro

September 4, 2018 at 7:31 am

Not sure what she’s talking about because Duke wasn’t in support of gays during the Falz interview. He said it was against Nigeria’s norms. He probably cleared the air because he joked about it. It was a clarification, not a retraction.

• jah rule

September 4, 2018 at 8:21 pm

but is it a norm s a governor to fornicate with university girls??? i need an answer

• Anon

September 5, 2018 at 2:35 am

Jah Rule, in Nigeria it sadly is the norm…

7. Simplyjane

September 4, 2018 at 4:41 pm

Ma’am, everyone and I mean everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I don’t have to agree with you and you don’t have to agree with me. Let’s be civil please.

8. molarah

September 4, 2018 at 9:29 pm

These bunch of distractions posing as presidential candidates though. I won’t be surprised if they are on APC campaign team’s payroll to spread out the opposition votes so that Buhari has a clean lead in 2019.

9. molarah

September 4, 2018 at 9:32 pm

I’ve yet to hear any one of these aspirants speak on any of the real problems we are facing in the economy and the society. But when it’s time for non-issues see how vocal they are. Presidential candidates my foot!