News

Ex-Minister describes Jonathan’s Claim on Election Concession as a “big lie”

BellaNaija.com

Former President Goodluck Jonathan in his book “My Transition Hours” shared that he rebuffed ministers and aides advising him not to concede the 2015 elections.

The former president wrote that the ministers Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Finance), Mohammed Bello Adoke (Attorney-General), Osita Chidoka (Aviation), and aide Warpamowei Dudafa, were among those in the room advising him against conceding.

They were recommending sundry alternatives, but I was quiet in the midst of their discussions. I hugged my thought, figuring out how to do that which was best for the country. My personal interest was receding rapidly and the interest of Nigeria looming large.

I excused myself and left the sitting room. I walked into my study. Even there, my mantra was a strong circle around me, supporting and comforting me.  Let the country survive. Let democracy survive. My political ambition is not worth people being “soaked in blood.”

A former minister who refused to be named however shared with The Cable that Jonathan’s version of events is a “big lie.”

Let him enjoy the euphoria of his book launch first, but those he has defamed will surely respond in due course,” the former minister said, adding that Jonathan, by his latest claims, may finally demystify himself over the concession speech “which had elevated his status internationally.

Another former minister who also asked not to be named said the former president had to be persuaded to concede by the same people he named.

The impression the former president is trying to create is that the people came to tell him not to concede. In truth, Jonathan was being persuaded by a former south-south governor not to concede, so some ministers were quickly invited to come and counter them.

What would Okonjo-Iweala, Adoke and Chidoka be doing a the villa at that time if not that something was going wrong? Is Jonathan trying to say he was not involved in Elder Godsday Orubebe’s attempt to disrupt the announcement of the results? Is Jonathan trying to claim innocence of a plot to secure a court injunction to stop INEC from further announcing the results? Jonathan needs to be a man of honour.

1. jah rule

November 22, 2018 at 12:39 am

i heard okonjo and chidoka are the once we should be thanking for the concession ..they know what happened that day

2. Ovadje

November 22, 2018 at 1:33 am

Much Ado about Nothing!

At the end of the day, the dude peacefully conceded. Best believe that ANY Nigerian (or African) President who does not want to peacefully concede has enough raw power to discountenance any advice and seek to hang on to power – with disastrous (and probably bloody) consequences. for all So, abegi, instead of chasing shadows in derogation of substance, however it happened, let’s just give HONOR as due!

3. joe

November 22, 2018 at 4:10 am

if there claims are right against the former president they should come out, no need to hid the man said his own openly

4. joe

November 22, 2018 at 4:11 am

he

5. chu-chu

November 22, 2018 at 9:37 am

Oh shut up Mr ex minister.

6. ada

November 22, 2018 at 11:07 am

Why do people make a fuss out of someone conceading an election. It is what any sane person would do. Where the votes show a clear winner, the loser walks away. Donald Trump won the US election in 2016, Hilary Clinton conceeded and moved one, she didnt get an award for doing what was expected. Africans make a big deal out of nothing.

• Diamond

November 23, 2018 at 11:19 am

What is this one saying? Don’t you see the sit-tight presidents we have in Africa and you say Jonathan concession isn’t a big deal. Please!!

• TheRealist

November 27, 2018 at 1:45 am

Is this the same US where folks are still arguing about the 2000 Dublya Bush Florida recount election “victory”? The same US where even the victorious President Dotard Trump is still contending that “illegal” voters cost him the popular vote in 2016? Or the same US where recounts, and allegations of fraud and voter suppression has dominated the aftermath of the recent midterm elections? And this is after a 222-year electoral heard start over Nigeria! SMH

7. Anonymous

November 22, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Mr Jonathan, the biggest fraud. To those that are blind as ever,blind to FFK mischief and Fayose, Doyin Okupe and co Tonto, Toke to mention a few, if you don’t like my comment, fast through out today to compensate yourselves. I bet you’re not blind to your spouse’s mischiefs. It must really hurt getting it wrong in all areas of lifry. Practice less talk and more critical thinking. Funny enough, come 2019, your shame will be doubled as we laugh at another bad choice from you. I stand with Osibajo, side eye, lol.

• Fizzy

November 23, 2018 at 12:20 am

Mtscheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. That is the answer that fits you.