BN Music Friday Top 5: “It’s Don Jazzy Again”

Posted on Friday, March 2nd, 2012 at 12:00 PM

By Onos O

Hi, it’s Onos O again and welcome to this week’s edition of BNMusic Friday Top 5.

This week, we decided to look through our music archives and pull out the songs that have rocked Nigeria over time. As such, this week’s Top 5 theme, “It’s Don Jazzy Again” takes us back to all the hits produced by our one and only Nigerian Internatioanl Super producer, Don Jazzy.

So, without further ado, let’s jump right into the countdown.

1.Ikechukwu feat. Don Jazzy and D’Banj - Wind Am Well

I remember clearly the day I heard “Wind Am Well” for the first time. I was in my friend’s car and he had connected his iPod to the car stereo. My friend, being a “butti”  boy, had a playlist full of all those UK grime and pop songs. Back then, my music taste was pretty jaundiced, so I really wasn’t interested. And then, somewhere in the middle of all that Dizzee Rascal and Wiley was “Wind Am Well”. Once it started playing, that was the end for my “janded” friend because I put it on repeat all through the Lekki-Ajah traffic. I initially thought it was another UK artist until I was bold enough to ask who it was. “Wind Am Well” was is an evergreen party jam; it never gets old and that’s why it’s number one. The video was directed by Seyi.

2. Wande Coal – Bumper To Bumper

“Bumper To Bumper” is another classic produced by Don Jazzy. This was the song that skyrocketed Wande Coal‘s career into stardom. If I recall correctly, in its prime, “Bumper To Bumper” had about a one year lifespan of constant radio and club play. It was THE song that if a DJ didn’t play at the club or at a party, he would probably not get any gigs after that. The video was directed by Sesan.

3. D’Prince feat. D’Banj - Give It To Me

The first time I heard “Give It To Me”, no one had to tell me before I said, “It’s Don Jazzy again”; I fell in love with it from the jump. My friends and I loved it so much that we even made a short choreography for it; and any time it played at a club or party we were at, we would leave the girls we were with, arrange ourselves well and display our silly dance moves. This song really never gets old. The video was directed by Sesan.

4. Dr. Sid feat. K-Switch – Over The Moon

People had a lot of things to say about Dr. Sid when he joined Mo’ Hits Records; but ever since, it’s been hit song after hit song after hit song. From the first day i got my copy of Dr. Sid‘s “Turning Point”, “Over The Moon” was my best song. There’s just something about the beat that just makes you want to move and keep moving at that. Tiwa Savage even made a cameo in the hilarious video which was directed by DJ Tee.

5. D’Banj – Mo Gbono Feli Feli

Last, but most certainly not the least, pardon the cliche, “Mo Gbono Feli Feli”. This song and its video are like plot points in Nigerian pop culture. D’Banj and Don Jazzy didn’t take it easy on the music industry when this song came out. I even recall M.I. had a remix to it on his Illegal Music mixtape. “Mo Gbono Feli Feli” took Nigeria by storm; the special effects and locations in the video were like none anyone had ever seen in the industry before, back then. The video was directed by Sesan.

So again this week, there’s a trend with a music video director. Sesan did those videos due justice though and so did Seyi and DJ Tee. Anyway, here’s a recap of the Top 5:

1.Ikechukwu feat. Don Jazzy and D’Banj - Wind Am Well

2. Wande Coal - Bumper To Bumper

3. D’Prince feat. D’Banj - Give It To Me

4. Dr. Sid feat. K-Switch - Over The Moon

5. D’Banj - Mo Gbono Feli Feli

So, with all that said, I’ll be right here waiting for you next week; and as I always say vivere senza rimpianti” (to live without regrets). Have a great day.

Photo Credits: nollywoodgossip.net

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 12 Comments on “BN Music Friday Top 5: “It’s Don Jazzy Again””

Comments
    • olah March 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM

1st! over the moon is a classic

• Dolly March 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Over the moon remains the best and Tiwa even made the video gorgeous *thumbs up*

• christy March 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I wil foreva cherish wande coal.he s such a talent.hs album dat year was a masive heat.frm d 1st track 2 d lst.I believ,bt kind of concern as don jazzy giv 2 much publicity 2 Dbanj.check out any colabo he does wit dbanj,he out shine him.sinc he relis hs latest singles,no much hype had been heard 4rm Don jazzy,bt trust if it s D banj,he wld hve taken hm for tour al ova d continent.God pass dem.who wil be,wil b.I play go low,by wande coal evryday.

• Teni March 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

@christy,pls kindly make an effort to understand the complexity and versatility of the word ‘Talent” before posting any biased comment.Evry single living soul has a talent OR more.Whilst Wande Coal”s talent is his voice and NOT his lyrics(tho” Ololufe and the other one which goes like “…..Glory be to Jah Jehova…have excellent meanings),D”banj”s talents are his sense of humour,his great melodies,his exceptional stage performance,him being an excellent mono instrumentalist,his charisma personified self and so on.However some non-fans of his may say his songs lack lyrical depth but i emphatically disagree.If u listen to songs of his like Mobolowowon,Olorun Maje,Celebrate,Loke Loke,Fall in love which is still being played at weddings till date,his lyrics from the remix of Endowed(and dis has absolutely nothing to do with Snoop),u wld admit that those songs have excellent lyrical depth and very good interpretations which teach us all a thing or two.Agreed some of his club bangers like “Suddenly” or “Oliver Twist” were not actually intended to make that much sense at all as we all kno and shld agree that club bangers must be beats catchy NOT lyrically deep.However,wot sells D”banj is NOT only his music so don”t get it twisted at all and u must kno that his success is solely from God and NOT Don Jazzy.If Don Jazzy was the one solely behind D”banj”s success,then he wld have turned his D”Prince of a BLOOD brother into another D”banj ages ago without blinking an eye.The bottom line is D”banj is D”banj and its only God who is responsible for this.We”re better off appreciating each and evryone of them and wishing them all more power to their elbows!

• Personal tuvs March 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    • Didi March 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I love ‘Wind am well’ and ‘Give it to me’.

• chexbarbie March 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

@christy, your point exactly…….??? Abi are u trying to starr up a debate here?

• Usaveone March 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

‘Give it to me’ is classic, even in my dreams i play it.

• Teni March 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Pls stop the D”banj beefing and kindly speak the truth.Wot is the definition of the word “Talent”?Many seem to limit the definition of the complex word “Talent” esp when related to Music as a whole.A talent is any skill one has and is very good or excellent at it.Wande Coal”s talent is his voice not his lyrics tho” i appreciate some like “Ololufe” and the one where he praised God which goes by “Glory be to Jah Jehova…..,can”t really remember the name but those two in particular have excellent lyrical depth.I wld hail him and give him kudos for those 2 songs in particular.However as far as D”banj is concerned,he is humourically talented,an excellented mono instrumentalist as he plays the harmonica like it was made for him,has a brilliant and an exceptional stage performance,charismatically personified and has equally sung many great songs like Mobolowowon,Olorun Maje,Celebrate,Fall in Love (08) which is still played at almost evry wedding till date,Loke Loke etc.If u take ur time to listen to those songs and sit back,u wld deffo come up with excellent interpretations and i won”t be mistaken.However,ur stating that “if it was D”banj who released singles,they wld av gone on tour” is slightly irrelevant.See D”banj is D”banj and u must understand that the success behind D”banj is no one but the Almighty God.To I and many others,he is someone who is destined to be great without necessarily putting in extreme effort.Do u think Don Jazzy doesn”t want to get richer?It only makes outright sense for him to concentrate on the others almost equally and i bet u won”t disagree neither shld this be a new food for thought for Don Jazzy.That shld tell u that he is not particularly responsible for D”banj”s success else he wld av particularly turned his D”Prince of a BLOOD brother to another D”banj ages ago.So the point is D”banj is D”banj and no one can take that away from him.He probably even brings out the best in Don Jazzy “cos it looks to me like they are divine working partners.Having said that,i wld still emphatically state that there is no way in this world that Don Jazzy wld not want to get richer or wealthier as the case may be and he sure wld do anything positive to achieve that so don”t get it twisted.Wot sells D”banj is not only his music at all hence the reason for stating that its actually God who is behind D”banj”s success.D”banj wld entertain any skin colour or race and won”t get it wrong.He wld stand in a gathering and can”t help but be noticed.He wld play his harmonica to the tune of any song whether his or someone else”s and u can”t help but want some more .So really,there”s no need pointing accusing fingers at anyone least of all Don Jazzy as evryone in life has different destinies.The best we can do is to wish evry single one of them well and promote them in our individual ways….Blessings to u all!

• Dee-USA March 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I never even heard the Give it to me song. Sadly, my first time listening to it coincided with my first time watching the video. Here’s a word I haven’t used in a long time: DAFT! What the heck were they doing in the video? Did D’Prince (or Sesan) actually get that many music stars to put on that ridiculous face? And what were the lyrics again? Epic fail!

• Dee-UK March 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

@Dee-USA, Omo see badu belle o! You are on your own sha. That gbedu “give it to me” was/is a banger and even has a dance that goes with it. Oya, “give it to me now, give it to me now………

• Asake-Okin March 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM

why me ..should have bn on that list