Chimamanda Channels TV
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s “Americanah” book press tour has kicked off its Nigerian leg! This weekend, we spotted the author on Channels TV’s Saturday Morning Talk Show “Sunrise“.

The interview started with an introduction detailing Chimamanda’s academic pursuits including her undergraduate minor in Political Science. The author jovially but emphatically stated that she had no intention of running for political office though she is very interested, she says “it’s not something I think I can do“.

From there the discussion transitioned to various areas including when she stated writing (Between the ages of 4 and 5), reading culture in Nigeria, her passionate views as a “naturalista” (Chimamanda showed off a glorious honey-hued afro during the interview), the inspiration for her work and lots more.

Check on it.

49 Comments on “Instead of Buying Recharge Cards, Buy a Book” – Watch “Americanah” Author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on Channels TV’s Sunrise
  • deep April 29, 2013 at 11:43 am

luv u Chimamanda! School these people on natural hair, literacy and all the other things they really shud be concerned about and not wedding aso ebi n recharge card.

• hayzey April 29, 2013 at 11:58 am

GIRL………

• cathy April 29, 2013 at 12:03 pm

she has this refreshing personality which endears one to her.

• Hi April 29, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a snob, though a good writer and novelist. ;-)

• Kola S April 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Any personal experience of this?

• D April 29, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Of course, an educated black..no, Nigerian woman who has a very strong sense of self will be viewed as a snob.
      People are intimidated by black women who will not bow down to popular beliefs.

• Ngum April 30, 2013 at 12:07 am

I’ve met her once and couldn’t disagree more.

• Ushees April 29, 2013 at 12:33 pm

i luv luv her,very interesting personality!!!

• salsera April 29, 2013 at 12:57 pm

@Hi
    she isn’t trying to be everyone’s friend okay na book she write.

Will check out the book

• Miss Tee April 29, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Beautiful woman! :D

• KELZ HENRY April 29, 2013 at 1:14 pm

the female interviewer didnt look quite enthralled by chimamanda,like she was attacking her.lol…maybe because of the hair issue.in my opinion

• Dee April 29, 2013 at 1:25 pm

i luv this gurl, she is very articulate, smart, intelligent and has a good composure. The first time i saw her was when she gave that lecture/speech about the african story…and i just fell in luv with her.

• Molly April 29, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I found this on yahoo news,… omg.yahoo.com/news/adichie-focuses-nigerias-present-novel-111644278.html

• Okechukwu Ofili April 29, 2013 at 2:12 pm

..the money question is…where can Nigerians buy the book in Nigeria =/

• D April 29, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Ah ah there are bookstores in Nigeria. I have been to a bookstore in the mall in Abuja.

• EMI April 29, 2013 at 3:47 pm

You can get it at Glendora (both their Ikoyi and Ikeja City Mall Outlets) i just bought mine at Glendora (Ikeja City Mall) last saturday and She will be having a reading and book Signing at Ikeja City mall on Saturday May 4th 2013. So go get yours now lol!!

• Banny April 29, 2013 at 5:04 pm

kachifo.com(farafina). I think that’s the publisher’s website. Bought and read it already. Paper bank 2500. Lol

• 5’5 April 29, 2013 at 6:15 pm

there is a book signing in Patabah books on Wednesday. Hoping to pick up my copy there.

• baby April 29, 2013 at 2:14 pm

lol…..snob as in she must have views that everybody agrees with abi? since am sure u have never met her one on one we will take ur comments as just not important..

• xoxo April 29, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I actually agree with “Hi”. She can be a snob though it may not be her character. She was at Harvard last year and didn’t have a warm reception for the Nigerian Harvard students. Though she said she was veryyyy busy and her time was pulled in multiple places so she couldn’t do “coffee/lunch”, etc

• Partyrider April 29, 2013 at 8:47 pm

So this one incident( which you even explained why she didn’t have time for the students) makes her a snob?

• ‘Mide April 29, 2013 at 2:45 pm

There is something rich in her voice…very sexy. And there is that lingering Igbo accent that echoes in a way that serenades a well cultivated accent. She is so rich in many other ways, a real lady I must say.

• EMI April 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Igbo accent??????? i didn’t hear any

• ‘Mide April 29, 2013 at 11:43 pm

You so right she has no accent. lol I heard Zadie Smith the other day she does not have an accent, she sounded British though, like h Toni Morrison, who sounded American. No accent o!

• hettie April 29, 2013 at 9:05 pm

You’re so right, spot on!

• Anonymous April 29, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Chimamanda should come and help me take care of my natural hair every damn morning, I don’t wear weaves to resemble oyinbo people, I wear weaves because they are more manageable. Everyone has different preferences. Hair pass hair. She has good hair and unfortunately I don’t,I have gone natural and it didn’t not work out well. I love her writing but she has been going around promoting natural hair like those who use weaves are inferior,

• Bukie April 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

If you continue to believe that you do not have ‘good hair’. Than you NEVER will.

There is NO such thing as good hair. Learn how to take care of your own hair and what God gave you instead of longing for someone else’s

• deep May 1, 2013 at 2:27 am

U feel inferior because she challenges ur lifestyle in a way that you know you are doing sth wrong.
      How cn u say Chimamanda has good hair n u don’t? What’s good hair?

• Janet April 29, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Hahahahaha. So the Nigerian Harvard Students were waiting for Chimamanda to have lunch and coffee with them. ‘Warm Reception’ indeed. Una don wait tire. As you were. Hahahahaha.

• kehinde April 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm

you can get both the Hardback 4,500 and Paperback for 2,500 on konga.com

This books can be delivered to your door step!!!

• Ola April 29, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Channel’s reporters should pls make their researches before bringing a guest to their shows…thanks

• …..just saying April 29, 2013 at 9:18 pm

This interview was painful to watch. one would have thought since the anchors were “experienced” presenters, they’d at least have done their homework. They hadn’t read the book, or reviews on the book, they didn’t know the name of “the award” she won. They kept cutting her off midway and ranting. #sigh

• Ngum April 30, 2013 at 12:12 am

indeed. it was a wasted opportunity. they just regurgitated previous interviews. Americanah is such an interesting read which can be analysed from all kinds of angles. it only takes an intern to do the research for them. jeez!

• ‘Mide April 30, 2013 at 8:48 am

Painful to watch? You can say that again. We live in blissful ignorance, thisI have come to accept. It seems that we are happier this way. Yet, I like the way she went FELA KUTI on them. She emphasized her Igbo accent in contrast to the somewhat pretentious accent of the lady interviewer.

• TYJ April 29, 2013 at 9:44 pm

She try, the hair though

• you must havereallyfelt… April 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm

..i mean look at the presenter she looks good…

• Omototun April 30, 2013 at 3:11 am

The presenter with all due respect has chopped hair. Her hair looked fried, the front part is gone and now it has been ‘stylishly’ styled to cover the iya eko part. If you are addicted to frying and abusing your hair that’s ok with me but to tell a bold-faced lie that the presenter looks better than Chinamanda is just ridiculous.please you can’t even compare death with a nap…..

• Jeneth April 29, 2013 at 9:46 pm

i hate e-books!!! Young Nigerians really need to read books!!!

• Jeneth April 29, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I love Chimamanda writes good books, I love her talks, she’s a feminist and I love that. But talking about hair as political and African Ladies not being appreciative of their hair is totally untrue. It’s really a privilege that we can style our hair in so many different ways. How you do your hair is a thing of choice and it doesn’t mean you’re not appreciative. I totally disagree with her on this. Hair is not political and it never will be. I love what Alero said; ‘ Alot of Nigerians appreciate Natural Hair’. You have to do something to your hair, whatever makes you look good! Hair shouldn’t be a topic for discussion.

• D April 30, 2013 at 1:09 am

My take on this is that hair is political. Politics is related to anything that concerns the people of a country. Politics also has to do with activities that are carried out to achieve power and I see this connection with hair as well. Hair is not “just hair” because it influences how we relate with one another and some form of power is achieved through it.
      I have heard Nigerians and other people ask people with natural hair what they are going to do their hair because it is not “done” and they look “bush”. Bush hair is African hair..The hair God gave to us. Some ignorant people call it mama Africa. It appears acceptable for Nigerian women to walk around with atrocious brazilian weaves/ wigs and they aren’t asked what possessed them to wear such because it is “Brazilian” and it’s expensive. But people think it’s normal to tell a female with natural hair to comb it or make it look “clean” or “presentable”- People are insulting Beyonce’s daughter’s natural hair. They say it is unruly and that her parents are not taking of her hair. Do you know what people consider “good hair”? Hair that is similar to a white person’s. Do you also know that some black people are not hired because of their hair texture? I have experienced that. People are reluctant hire you especially when you will be a visible face of their brands. Or the most beautiful women are the ones with straight/ european like hair. You cannot flip through these magazines and find a black woman with her natural hair..Also find out the history on what we call dreadlocks and negative connotation of dada. I have been to Asian stores to get weaves. They usally hire black women and they treat them terribly. The black women do not handle the cash or work at the tills. The chinese employers are unpleasant to costumers and they don’t care. We keep coming back. One of the workers mentioned that these chinese employers always mock black women’s hair and how they spend a lot of money on straight hair. We are making these people rich and they are laughing at us.
      I am not sure if Chimamanda gave her reason for this statement but there is nothing new about it. It has existed for years. Thanks to the European colonization.

• Just-saying April 30, 2013 at 2:59 am

It is political because black people don’t show pride in their hair. Black men walk around with shaved heads in Yankee, and black women do atrocious things to their hair in the name of beauty. Black people just need to learn to love and appreciate themselves as a people.

• D April 30, 2013 at 1:18 am

If people are doing the hair they feel looks good, then it is evident that people believe straight hair looks the best on them. smh.
    Alero or the female host seemed defensive. Standard behaviour of a lot of women with permed hair. She doesn’t know anything about natural hair. Isn’t she the same person who asked where people could buy books?
    How can she say equate a woman with permed hair wearing braids to one wearing one’s own natural hair? I cannot take her seriously.

• Noni April 30, 2013 at 7:22 am

I’m so tired of people with this natural hair/relaxed hair /weave thing. It’s one thing to say that more Nigerian people should understand that natural hair is beautiful and not find it so abhorrent when girls wear it out (which I agree with) it’s another to go on and on and on about how everyone should go natural. I’ve been natural for 6 years and even I am tired of hearing it. Whenever people say natural hair is easy to manage I call them liars (from my experience and those of most people I know), my sister is natural too and I know a lot of friends who are the same. Unless you’re putting your hair in braids constantly, for most hair types natural hair is blood, sweat and tears (just go watch the numerous tutorial videos on youtube if you don’t believe me). Dogmatically slaving away at trying to take care of your natural hair because you feel like you must when you don’t have the time and energy useless. Sometimes people act like natural hair will take us to heaven or something, well let me tell you now that it won’t.

• deep May 1, 2013 at 2:34 am

You think that being natural validates your argument? No, it doesn’t. It just shows that u’ve no conviction n u aren’t self assured. In ur case, d kinks in ur brain are what u’ve to get rid of.

• Mo’blezzing May 1, 2013 at 8:20 pm

@Deep Actually, a myth goes the ‘kinkier’ (rougher) your brain texture, the smarter you’d be…. I’d rather keep both kinks, thanks…lol.

• Noni May 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm

So miss “deep” (questionable) the fact that you counter what I’ve said with no logical response of your own says what about your own brain? that you have none?
        I’m not attempting to validate anything, my argument would still stand regardless of the state of my hair. The point I was making by saying I’m natural is that (a.) I love natural hair but I’m tired of people constantly trying to convert women/girls that they don’t know personally. (b.) I know very well that taking care of natural hair is a hassle, don’t lie to those who don’t by saying it isn’t.
        Also how/why does anything I said warrant insults? When people pull unnecessary insults out of their arse to make an argument it really just makes you look stupid (and yes, that was necessary).

• NNENNE April 30, 2013 at 3:02 am

Love her to bits.

• Michael April 30, 2013 at 5:53 pm

You’re very well okay and creative