BellaNaija Celebrates Academic Excellence – Class of 2013: Uwa Imafidon

Posted on Saturday, June 22nd, 2013 at 1:10 PM

By BellaNaija.com

BellaNaija presents “Celebrating You! Class of 2013.” A few weeks ago, we called for submissions of graduating students who had excelled in their course of study. We acknowledge the fact that everyone who has graduated this year is a winner. We, therefore, want to celebrate people who have gone over and above the norm. People who have gotten meritorious distinctions and awards from their institution of study. We hope that you are inspired and we look forward to receiving more entries.

In this edition, we’re celebrating a pretty scientist who studied at the University of Benin and graduated with a 1st class degree. Uwa Imafidon went on to get a post graduate degree at the University of Texas, Arlington where she graduated with a 4.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.

Three reasons why Uwa should be celebrated.

My childhood dream was to become a medical doctor, however, upon applying to the school of Medicine, I was instead accepted into the University of Benin City to study Crop Science. In my second year, I wanted to switch to the department of Microbiology, but sadly, after accepting me into the department, it did not work out and I was made to return to the department of Crop Science. I did not stop there, I took the jamb examination for the second time passed, and took the post UME. However, I was 2 marks short of the cut off point for Medicine, scoring 138 of 140. Shockingly, when I got my admission letter for the second time, I was given the same Crop Science. I accepted it and decided to do well in whatever I studied, as I was taught. My efforts were rewarded and I graduated with a first class degree with a G.P.A of 4.52 and was awarded the best graduating student in the department, in 2010.

I traveled to the United States to further my education in the sciences  and graduated with my Masters degree in Microbiology with a 4.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. I plan to attain a Ph.D in Microbiology and begin a lifelong career in research.

I should be celebrated because this is a remarkable achievement, and I believe my story would be a motivating factor to other Nigerian students. Hard work, dedication and of course God was a key factor in helping me get a first class in my undergrad and a maximum GPA in my graduate studies.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 64 Comments on “BellaNaija Celebrates Academic Excellence – Class of 2013: Uwa Imafidon”

Comments
    • .../ June 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

great job!

• Someone June 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Really worth celebrating

• anonymous babe June 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

What struck me was that she made 138 in jamb.Way to go and Jamb should be scrapped

• Iamme June 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

No… she scored 138 out of 140 in post-UME (or post JAMB)

• Feyifunmi June 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM

@Anonymous babe, she didn’t say she made 138 in Jamb.. She said after passing JAMB the second time she scored 138 in the Post UTME.

• Teddy Bear June 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

WOW! I am so impressed! Kudos to you, Uwa! Congratulations.

• Partyrider June 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

congrats babe. very well done. great things ahead

• Ghosgurl June 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I hope to get a first class too and motivate other people.

• Oaken June 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Hmmm….ok…so why don’t we see oyinbo kids publicizing this kind of stuff? Bellanaija folks I understand what you are trying to do but perhaps this premise for this sould be reexamined.4.0 gpa is not a friggin big deal in the USA. 10-20% of her class probably graduated with a 3.85-4.0 gpa. I’m tired of us africans bragging about gpa, paying our bills, not in jail, staying in school, etc….it’s not a friggin big deal. You don’t see other nationalities bragging of such

• Addey June 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM

This person is a beefer on his/her own

• e-bukun June 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Are we oyinbos? Can’t you just step into her joy and celebrate her? Positivity takes less energy

• Lorenz June 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

common! don’t be cynical. Chai! Wetin you graduate with.

• Demmy June 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Um she’s happy that she graduated and yes her GPA is a big deal. She’s excited and can talk about it if she wants.In these days, when most students party hard and do not study as they should it’s really nice to see someone who takes her education very seriously so please enough with the hating. x
        PS: No insult meant.Just merely stating the fact.

• Dare June 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

God bless u for this comment………..for a master 4.0 is no big deal. i graduated with 4.0 together with about 7 other classmates. Thats in my department alone

• Kemmy June 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Please send in your story so Bella can celebrate you too! No point berating their efforts. We are not oyinbos, we are Africans. Lets celebrate our own whether 4.0 is common place or not. It wasn’t easy achieving such and i’m sure someone would be motivated from this story. Don’t hate, please appreciate!

• fex June 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM

You’re not even making sense! Tell me 5 people you know that have graduated with high honors for masters? Its a great thing she has achieved and it does not come easy! she deserves every praise she can get! The “oyinbo” kids you are talking about throw massive parties for things like this. In other news, if you’re not enlightened enough, gain some knowledge first :)

• Loveslife June 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Oaken! I actually feel sorry for you. Your outlook on life is sad judging from your comment….. 4.0 is a BIG DEAL!!!! She should celebrate and be celebrated. Being able to pay your bills, stay out of jail etc. is worth being celebrated. There are loads of people who are not able to do so, not because they are lazy but life does deal some tough blows…. I am not saying kill a cow each time pay your gas bills but just being thankful and looking forward to greater achievements…. This is a big deal! Congrats Uwa!

• Rukky June 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You see your life Oaken or whatever you call yourself…you’re an attention seeker–mumunat *hiss*

• parisclub June 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I beg shut your – mouth, u musnt reply wetin , hard work pays and success which is a reward of hard work is celebrated .if bella naija has decided to create a spot for hardworking,successful Nigerians or Africans who has made it in diaspora or at home what is bad.To make 3.85,4.00 ,4.50 as the case is it easy or u think say na beans Be it home or abroad .Faced with missing scripts, lecturers harassing students and so on a student comes out good its a mega deal and its a source of inspiration to other students to also shine bright. DO u know what it is for a black to do very well in a foreign school ?obviously it eludes you . Who told you white kids don’t brag about their gpa if they don’t they brag ,the schools they came out from represents it. when u hear harvards,ivy league students you know what they came out with and for the rubbish that we brag of not going to jail,pregnancy its a mega deal for us here in case u don’t know . I beg post your C.G.P.A lets see . Dont dull other peoples shine because its shinning in your eyes .if u hate it I beg don’t open the page.thank u

• Sols June 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I totally agree practically everyone finishes with 4.0 it’s no big deal. What have you done with that 4.0 is all that matters.

• e-bukun June 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM

practically everyone? where? do you have the data? I don’t understand people o. I agree that it’s what you do with your gpa that counts, but why are we having a hard time celebrating someone’s success? Is it so difficult?

• Naija4life June 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

why cant you just say congrats and move on? when u see a good thing just be kind and graceful enough to celebrate it. what was your own GPA? if you want to be celebrated its simple, submit your story and we will cheer. Anyone who gets a good education regardless is worthy of a cheer. Shame on your arrogance. Its very sinful to take things for granted. I can also count many people who have dropped out, failed or even passed away before graduation so hold your tongue.

• Kikiana love June 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I think you are just being negative. Please be proud of her! A 4.0 is not easy to attain

• iamnephiza June 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM

well to me {and most of us i guess} its a friggin big deal. made a 4.0 this semester and it was a friggin big deal for my parents and i. u think say na for ground we they pick am. no dude, we friggin read. And even oyinbo people are friggin busting their asses and will kill to friggin have it.

• Objecty June 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Hmmmmm see black belle…Pls take a back seat.

• Msunderstood June 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Brilliant

• Mz Socially Awkward... June 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Well done, honey!! What impresses me is your excellence in a field life you hasn’t planned to be in, which makes me think that God just may have a great plan for you to do something phenomenal in this field you’ve landed in. You may have become a good doctor but by the sound of things, you’re squaring up to be an exceptional research scientist maybe bringing a solution that the world has been waiting for.

Beautiful brainiacs getting ready to rule the world. Yeah, baby!! :-)

• Mz Socially Awkward... June 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

*a field you hadn’t planned to be in*

• chizzweightlossdiary June 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Thumbs up. you truly are an achiever!

• NNENNE June 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Congratulations.

• Susan June 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM

What an inspirational story, well done Uwa. You will go far in life

• X-factor June 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Wow! Congrats

• me2 June 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Very well done gurl!!

• Rukky June 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

You are my inspiration and may God continue to bless you and take you from glory to glory. It is things like this that make me proud to be Nigerian. I wish you more success and may your light continue to shine and never be deemed. Amen. :)

• Rukky June 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Na only law terminology full my head lol, dimmed*

• Good June 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Congratulations!

• choclate June 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Congratulationssss!!!!

• miskimbis June 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Well done dear thank

• Truth Teller June 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Proud of her!I’m one of the people who appealed to BN to focus a bit more on the academic/professional sector and i’m glad we’re seeing such. Anyone who thinks this is no big deal truly has a problem. I’d rather read stories like this a hundred times over than to constantly see half naked bodies with nothing to add to society.

• I Rock June 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Congrats girl. Its no mean feat. I pray that God will take you higher and never let you down, amen.

• Temitope Adewoye June 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Awwww Uwa I am so proud of you thumbs up!

• jay jay June 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Oaken,You are such a hater. You sure did not graduate with a 3.0 talk more of 3.5. Get a life sucker. I live in the US too and a lot of people don’t graduate with a 4.0 GPA . Congrats Uwa.

• iamnephiza June 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Abegi o. tell em.

• Princess Dee June 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM

She even graduated with a first class in nig,abeg she tried.Congrats Uwa!

• zoomzoomzoom June 23, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Great job! Congratulations! This a great story, a big departure from the negative stories we hear about Nigerians in the diaspora. Love this feature Bella, more of this please.

• Watin HAPPENNN June 23, 2013 at 2:22 AM

umm i always celebrate a woman that uses her brains not her booty! lol! soo many young ladies out there want to be runz girls!

• Nikki June 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Congratulations!!!! and to greater heights!

• Temizzy June 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Great Job Miss Uwa, and I like your comment Mz socially awkward.

• comment awaiting moderation! June 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Pretty scientist??

• Biha June 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Congratulations 2 her and me too I got my LLB degree this year …class of 2013

• Mogar June 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Very well done, Uwa. Congrats and all the best.
      The best graduating student in Uniport in 2010 had a CGPA of 4.88, the highest in the history of the school. Nobody has beat that record yet. And yes, it was a chic from Akwaibom state. Please haters, it is a BIG deal gaaaaan. They are worth celebrating.

• Lee June 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Congrats dear… this is just the beginning of amazing things in ur life… haters, locate the nearest wall n hit ur head hard a milli times…

• Ani June 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Congratulations Uwa no mose. Oviedo nu zomo. We are proud of you. You’ve made your parents so proud. I tap into your success for my children. God bless you girl.

• Annie June 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I celebrate you uwa!

• Yossi June 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Congrat uwa is not easy to graduate with a first class in nigeria especially with the type of lecturers we have… I wish to graduate with first class too.

• alex June 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM

omonabiese….(benin language …translation meaning ”pikin weydembornwell’) U have done well….as far as I’m concerned she should be celebrated oooo…..!!! this oaken person must really be frustrated….i pity you…go and hang yourself and stop hating on others!!!!!!

• Chisom Samantha June 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

OMG! most some people hate all the time. This pretty girl gets a 1st class from a 9ja university where there’s no stable power. No water in the dorms. Mosquito infested dorms. corrupt lecturers.Half the girls are doing aristo! Then she goes on to the states and shines too and someone posts its not a biggie?…Hating is not necessary here. Uwa you have inspired me. Well done for your achievements.

• omonaijanimi June 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM

i just had to comment @ Oaken…OMG you have to be kidding right

I am sorry but you need to get your facts right before mentioning that in the US they don’t celebrate getting a high GPA; it is not an easy fit as you think (I will like to know what your GPA was as you sound bitter).
      As a 12 year professional in Finance and Accounting and also an honor student who graduated with a 3.9 and a 4.0 in my undergrad and master from a university in the US, I can say it is a big deal.
      As someone who recruits from various colleges into the work force, I can say it is a big deal. When we are looking at a resume, we will look at your GPA, the number of years you spent in Uni and your other activities. It is common knowledge that most people spend over 5 years on a 4 year course and may leave with a GPA of 3.0 or even less. Not all African’s go into US system and come out successful as I can count about 8 people I know who got kicked out for low GPA’s.
      No about bragging, I disagree – yes she did not find new specie or come up with a new idea but bragging is so common in the US. Have you picked up a local town newspaper to see parents bragging that their teen got into a college or why do you think graduation are well celebrated in the US – IT IS A BIG DEAL
      So yes, this girl has to be celebrated for her achievement; she was focused, determined and set high standards that she made sure she attained – IT SERVES AS ENCOURAGEMENT TO OTHERS

• Soraya June 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

@Oaken June 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM – She did very well to publicize the fact that she obtained a 4.0 GPA- she states that her aim is to encourage other Nigerians and the only way you can do that is to publicize the fact! So, well done to her and Oaken, not everybody graduates top of their class, even in the US!

• Lola June 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Most nigerians who study medicine do it for prestige not because they want to save lives.

• gia June 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

So true….

• Peejay June 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM

After all is said and done, we still celebrate her for a job well done and wish her a wonderful career!!! It is a BIG DEAL when you know how much work you put into it.. Congratulations UWA… Nigerians Sha NA wa for us

• Grace June 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

see beef! huh…. 4.0 is a BIG DEAL and she can put it on CNN if she want, it doesnt matter if a million people got it; point is SHE DID TOO! put ur own make we see. Bad belle Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

• Amira July 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Every group celebrate achievements and success. Oyinbos don’t play with it. Well, non oyinbos especially Asians and middle easterners are the ones who study science and math in American universities and they make sure they are top in their class. And, society use these achievements to judge one’s intelligence. My point is, 4.0gpa is a BIG DEAL especially in science. So, congrats to this young lady. You are an inspiration.