BellaNaija Style presents the Body Shape Series Vol. 3: Carrot

BN body shape fruitsThe BN Body Shape Series with Eki Ogunbor is back with another shape today. The last two posts on this series have been on the Apple shape (click here if you missed it) and the Pear shape (click here if you missed it).

The body shape we’ll be discussing today is the Carrot shape, it’s also referred to as the inverted triangle. Stylish songstress, Waje, is a great example of this shape and I’ll be featuring her a lot today.

WAJE CARROT BODY SHAPE_waje remi adetiba

carrot body shapeCharacteristics of the Carrot Shape

• You carry most of your weight on the top, around your shoulders and bust. Your shoulders are wider than your hips.
  • You have a defined waist in most cases, but some carrot shapes have a straight torso with no curve.
  • You have small hips/thighs with little to no bum, slim legs and ankles.

Tips for Your Top

• Wear tops with a defined waist or define your waist more with a belt.
  • Low cut necklines like a V-neck or strapless top helps show off your neck, which is a slim part of your body. Showing a little cleavage not only gives you a sexy look but showing skin could make you look a little slimmer.
  • Wrap tops and dresses are great. It gives the carrot shape a defined waist and curves around the hips.
  • It’s advisable to wear tops that hit below the hip bone, to draw attention to that area and away from your bust.
  • Don’t be afraid to try prints especially vertical stripes but dark colours are adviceable.

WENDY WILLIAMS CARROT BODY SHAPETips for Your Bottom

• Wide leg or flared trousers.
  • A-line/flared/bubble skirts help to fill out the little hips you have or give the illusion of wider hips.
  • Wear trousers/skirts with pockets on the side or front help balance out your body.
  • Use bold textures trousers or skirts to create fullness around the hips.
  • Bootcut/wide leg jeans are best for this shape.
  • You have slim legs so feel free to show them off tastefully.

Avoid

• Tops with thick layered fabrics.
  • Tops with exaggerated shoulders like puffy sleeves or shoulder pads.
  • Necklines that cover up your neck like a turtle neck top/dress.
  • Skinny jeans but if you must, wear a top that adds to your hips like a peplum top.
  • Skirts that are too short, or they will make your top look heavier than is.

Waje is my favourite carrot – Lol. She’s one person who definitely embraces her curves in a stylish way.

WAJE CARROT BODY SHAPE_Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 13.22.48

For red carpet looks, she’s not afraid to show a little skin with a V neck or strapless dress. Exposing one leg which is one of her slender features helps make her look slimmer and using  belt to cinch her waist helps give her extra curves.

WAJE CARROT BODY SHAPE_Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 13.15.46

No pants? No problem!
Here she is showing off her great legs in this casual look. Make things even sexier and wear a pair of heels like she’s done here. It helps to lift your bum and make your legs look even hotter.

WAJE CARROT BODY SHAPE_Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 13.16.32

Wide legs trousers are a must for the carrot shaped girl. Notice how these trousers help even out her frame. Feel free to add a belt to this outfit for a more formal look. But I love the casual it has without the best and the mix of prints with her top & bag.

WAJE CARROT BODY SHAPE_Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 13.11.29

If you don’t want wide let trousers pants, go with this option. It’s more tapered than fitted so your legs don’t look too skinny. Opt for a printed trouser and a dark or block colour on the top so all attention is on your trousers and not your bust.

WAJE CARROT BODY SHAPE_waje1

Again here, Waje wears a dark colour on top while her trousers are a bright white, drawing attention to her lower curves instead of her bust.

WAJE CARROT BODY SHAPE_Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 13.22.15

If you don’t want printed trousers, wear a peplum top to even out your figure. Notice how these trousers aren’t skinny. They’re a little loose which add to her curves but fit on the ankle which again is another slim part of her body.

WAJE CARROT BODY SHAPE_Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 13.12.56

Peplum is bae. She looks gorgeous here. The V-neck, lack detail and peplum style give her an instant hourglass shape.

Waje

A wrap fit & flare dress is a definite winner for the carrot shape, I love Waje in this.

On air personality, Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi, is also another carrot shaped girl.

Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi

V-neck, wide leg trousers and peplum top = perfect combination for a carrot girl.

Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi

I love how this outfit flaunts her toned legs and defined waist.

Stylish media girl, Toke Makinwa, is another example of a stylish carrot shaped girl in a petite package.

Toke Makinwa

Don’t be afraid to play with patterns in the right way. The mix of horizontal and vertical lines helps draw your attention to her slim waist , almost like an optical illusion. While the neckline helps flaunt her slender neck and sexy cleavage.

Toke Makinwa

What’s that carrot formula again?

Toke Makinwa

As usual, the fit an flare style is perfect. It helps to enhance her figure.

Toke Makinwa 2 ZAZAII

This is more proof that the formula works. The fullness on the bottom part of this jumpsuit (with both a wide leg trouser and an overlay skirt detail), gives Toke some more curves. The V-neck and cinched waist also make this look perfect for a carrot.

Modern Family actress, Sofia Vergara, is also a carrot shape.

attends the 88th Annual Academy Awards at Hollywood & Highland Center on February 28, 2016 in Hollywood, California.

I love this red carpet look on her, this fit and flare dress balances her shape perfectly and the strapless top adds to it.

LOS ANGELES, CA - JANUARY 25: Actress Sofia Vergara attend the 21st Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at The Shrine Auditorium on January 25, 2015 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by C Flanigan/Getty Images)

This is another great red carpet look for her. The detail around the waist helps define it and exposing her shoulder also helps make her look slimmer.

Another example of a carrot shaped girl is founder of America’s Next Top Model, Tyra Banks.

LOS ANGELES, CA - AUGUST 07: TV personality Tyra Banks attends "America's Next Top Model" 20th Cycle Celebration at supperclub Los Angeles on August 7, 2013 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by David Livingston/Getty Images)

The detail on the hip of this dress helps add volume and create the illusion of wider hips.

Talk show host, Wendy Williams, is a carrot shape.

THE CHEW - A surprise guest competes in a cooking competition and Wendy Williams is a guest on Wednesday, November 12, 2014. "The Chew" airs MONDAY - FRIDAY (1-2pm, ET) on the ABC Television Network. (Photo by Jeff Neira/ABC via Getty Images)

A wrap dress is a carrot girl’s best friend, it does wonders for this figure.

LAS VEGAS, NV - NOVEMBER 07: Host Wendy Williams speaks during the 2014 Soul Train Music Awards at the Orleans Arena on November 7, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ethan Miller/BET/Getty Images for BET)

Again, a cinched waist and revealing some leg also helps this body shape.

WHAT NOT TO WEAR IF YOU’RE A CARROT SHAPE!!!

HOLLYWOOD - FEBRUARY 24: Actress Sofia Vergara attends the 16th Annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards viewing party at the Pacific Design Center on February 24, 2008 in West Hollywood, California. (Photo by Stephen Shugerman/Getty Images)

Though her waist is defined, this look isn’t very flattering for Sofia because her bust is too exposed.

LOS ANGELES, CA - DECEMBER 09: TV personality Tyra Banks attends the 24th annual Women in Entertainment Breakfast hosted by The Hollywood Reporter at Milk Studios on December 9, 2015 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for The Hollywood Reporter)

Shoulder pads are quite unflattering for the carrot shape because they make you look wider on top and give you a Johnny Bravo look.

LOS ANGELES, CA - OCTOBER 26: TV Personality/Model Tyra Banks attends the Paley Center For Media's Hollywood Tribute To African-American Achievements in Television, Presented by JPMorgan & Co. on October 26, 2015 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Michael Kovac/Getty Images for Paley Center For Media)

Though this is a wide leg jumpsuit with a V-neck, the shoulder pads and the white detail on the neck draw too much attention to her bust. I also think the V-neck might be working against her because of these details and it makes her look even wider.

Tyra loves her shoulder pads

onstage during The 42nd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards at Warner Bros. Studios on April 26, 2015 in Burbank, California.

Let’s try a little experiment. If you compare both sides of this outfit, you’ll see that she looks bigger on the side where she has the sleeve on. Try using your hand to cover each side so you’re not confused and let me know what you think.

LAS VEGAS, NV - NOVEMBER 07: Wendy Williams attends the 2014 Soul Train Music Awards at the Orleans Arena on November 7, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Paras Griffin/Getty Images)

The ombre colour of this dress is going the wrong way for her shape, this would be better for a pear shaped girl. The dark colour should be on the bottom and light colour on top. This look isn’t flattering because the light colour draws too much attention to her wide part.

***

Photo Credits: Waje’s Instaram: @officialwaje | Remi Adetiba | Jason Merritt/Getty Images | Stephen Shugerman/Getty Images | C Flanigan/Getty Images | David Livingston/Getty Images | Jeff Neira/ABC via Getty Images | Ethan Miller/BET/Getty Images for BET | Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for The Hollywood Reporter | Michael Kovac/Getty Images for Paley Center For Media | Jesse Grant/Getty Images for NATAS | Paras Griffin/Getty Images

39 Comments on BellaNaija Style presents the Body Shape Series Vol. 3: Carrot
  • Ify March 16, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Hmmm… I’m not sure Tyra Banks and Sofia Vergara belong on this list.

• Anon March 16, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Thank you. I see hips, on them and some other women here – Waje and Gbemi.

• jhennique March 16, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Sofia is carrot shaped cos he has hugs boobies and her hips are smaller than her upper torso. Yeah she does have hips but they are out of proportion when compared to her bossomly upper body

• Gerry March 16, 2016 at 12:59 pm

I disagree that Toke is a carrot shape. Abeg she’s letter I. She’s as straight as straight can be. I love Tyra. I have never been able to understand Wendy’s shape, I mean why will I go for a breast enlargement and leave my hips and butt out???

• T March 16, 2016 at 4:15 pm

There’s no goddamn figure 1. You, and everyone that likes this vitriol should remember this comment when next you’re asking God for a favour. Shame on you. Show us your own body, let’s see

• Tosin March 17, 2016 at 6:44 am

if you’re an I embrace it. what’s the big deal? a carrot looks like an I anyway.

• mia March 16, 2016 at 1:00 pm

i agree with you.

• Person pikin March 16, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Maje is def not a carrot shape…

• Babe March 16, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Tyra is not a carrot shape o. Just ’cause she loves her shoulder pads doesn’t make her a carrot shape. Tyra has booty as well as bust so I would definitely characterise her more as a pear shape

• Sabifok March 16, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Note how no girl is claiming this body shape, even though it appears to be one of the most common body types you see everyday in Nigeria. Carrot shape or Agbalumon shape. GTFOH

• Labule March 16, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Okay the carrot shape is the apple shape sans big tummy or undefined waist

• emzo March 16, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Not a fan of this body type choi.

• ATL’s finest March 16, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Jeez!!! Ms. Tara Banks ?????I have always LOVE this woman since her runaway days on VS, talk show, ANTM etc.

• Anon March 16, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Toke’s shape is boyish. “The String-bean a.k.a The Rectangle ruler/Straight Body Type.”

Wendy Williams – “Inverted Triangle Body Type. The bust is large, the hips are narrow and the waist is not very well defined.”

IMO, Tyra and Sophia have the “Hourglass Figure 8 / “X” Frame.” Even Waje with her current weight. Gbemi is in between Pear and hourglass.

• kele March 16, 2016 at 2:53 pm

No. Eva Alordiah”s shape is boyish not Toke. Sofia Vergara is carrot dieee. If Sofia is Hourglass, wetin Beyoncé come be?

• Anon March 16, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I commented on the pictures here. The people you mentioned are their pictures here?

• Eileen March 16, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Biko tyra, Sofia and toke no follow.. which kian carrot shape.

• jummai March 16, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Toke shouldn’t be on this list

• genie March 16, 2016 at 2:29 pm

team string-bean.

• Bee March 16, 2016 at 2:59 pm

never knew Waje was this stylish, love all

• michy March 16, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Munachi abi is a perfect example of a carrot shaped lady. Your examples don’t fit your description except wendy.

• doris March 16, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Nice one. But I don’t think waje falls under the carrot type of body shape

• glow March 16, 2016 at 3:28 pm

This is definitely my shape….bust 35,waist 29, hip 37….but broad shoulders….i stand at 5’3…..

• Tosin March 16, 2016 at 3:30 pm

nwanne, please leave this vegetarian something. you haven’t distinguished between this and the apple; both of them are team Manchester defeat team Arsenal – that’s the koko.

not to mention how if man call you agama lizard or bonga fish you go vex, yet the beauty industry (or style industry as you all will call it, to reserve beauty for facepainting) stays insulting people’s figures with all this groundnut carrot story.

and for many fake people, we actually have no idea what their true body shape is soooo… thanks but no thanks.

no, honestly, i was hanging out with a shapy friend once, she crashed at my parents’ and next morning wanted to borrow a dress for church. i couldn’t see how this juicy/voluptuous chic was going to fit in little dress. she said sure she’d fit. unpadded her bobby unpadded yansh turns out she’s a petite girl. she explained to me that that’s what men like so she goes out with a “womanly” figure. to each his own. friend in quotes obviously.

• amie March 16, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Thanks a lot for these tips… Its really had coming across articles like this that could enlighten. I had refreshed my wall several times for this post! I belong to this body shape so its quite difficult to actually dress to pull away attention from the bust and fake a larger hip. With these tips, would try to slay as much as possible!

• Big Tee March 16, 2016 at 4:09 pm

okay I’m learning this things from you guys now, I’m patiently waiting for the apple shape I’m wondering who will be the style case study. As for me sha, I like small bobby, big yansh and i prefer for my babe not to have big tummy. Thats all!!!

• Sabifok March 16, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Dude, in Nigeria, that is asking for a whole lot. You just described a runs girl, not a typical girl

• gee March 16, 2016 at 4:25 pm

I have normal boobs lol flabby arms, flat upper stomach, lower stomach a little bit big and normal hips. What am I?

• Koffie March 16, 2016 at 5:44 pm

I have Toke’s figure, except my boobs are a D cup. My ‘carrotness’ is definitely not obvious but I know if I were to grow fatter, the difference between my upper body and lower body would show. Yet, I want to put on weight in the hopes that it goes to my lower body. The fear is real.
    In junior school, one senior had warned us from eating whilst standing, her theory was that the food goes straight to your lower body (thighs, legs). I actually believed her (I was in JSS 2) and started eating while on my feet, lol. No show.
    May God add to my lower body ministry. I’m not even particular about hips, just fatten my thighs and butts.
    By the way, I love that beaded dress on Toke, :*

• Anonymous March 16, 2016 at 5:44 pm

You are Pear. Read the earlier articles.

• Koffie March 16, 2016 at 6:01 pm

I think she fits perfectly on the list as she’s slightly heavier on top (heavy doesn’t equate busty) when compared with her hips. You may not notice cos she dresses for her body type. I’ve seen her in skinny jeans and yup, narrow hips.
    I would have put Funke AKindele on the carrot list and not the apple list cos the slim/petite Apple shaped are Carrot-shaped

• sugar March 16, 2016 at 6:13 pm

I’ll add Waje to the list. Yes she’s got broad shoulders but she’s got pronounced hips and bum

• bizzle March 16, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Hmm,… there would soon be okro shape now.. nothing wey person no go see or hear.
    Ageg BN family Plixx. help me vote for my mama in Dano competition oo.. just click vote on the first picture in this link.

dano.pgtb.me/4jkphk/kCJCJ?w=46441075&e=121709663

thanks Fam

• mabel March 17, 2016 at 7:20 am

I’m 36 28 42 with slim arms and a long neck. Almost a Brick house (36 24 36). Oh well, I’ll make do with what I’ve got.

• honeymix March 17, 2016 at 7:40 am

Please kindly help a sister, I honestly do not know my shape. Bust-35, waist-29, hips-39. Thank you.

• I’d rather remain anonymous March 24, 2016 at 2:36 pm

All ye Johnny bravos lol.