LOS ANGELES, CA - MARCH 07: Tennis player Maria Sharapova addresses the media regarding a failed drug test at The LA Hotel Downtown on March 7, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. Sharapova, a five-time major champion, is currently the 7th ranked player on the WTA tour. Sharapova, withdrew from this week?s BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells due to injury. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CA – MARCH 07: Tennis player Maria Sharapova addresses the media regarding a failed drug test at The LA Hotel Downtown on March 7, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. Sharapova, a five-time major champion, is currently the 7th ranked player on the WTA tour. Sharapova, withdrew from this week’s BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells due to injury. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

28 year old tennis star Maria Sharapova (currently the world’s highest paid female athlete, according to Forbes) admitted she took an illegal drug, and failed a drug test earlier this year at the Australian Open.

She said she had been taking the drug, mildronate, also known as meldonium, issued by her family doctor for the past ten years. However, as of January 1st 2016, the drug became prohibited and she wasn’t aware.

She say she takes full responsibility, and hopes she isn’t barred from playing tennis. She has been playing the sport since she was four years old.

“I made a huge mistake. I let my fans down, I let the sport down.

“I know with this that I face consequences.

“I don’t want to end my career this way, and I really hope I’m given another chance to play this game.”

This failed drug test is a costly mistake, as TAG Heuer has already ended their partnership with her, and Nike has suspended their partnership. According to Telegraph UK,

Nike and TAG Heuer have been quick to make statements about the Sharapova case but if her corporate deals fall through as a result of her positive drugs test she could lose most of her sources of income. Sharapova earned £16.1m last year in endorsements alone. Her earnings from tournaments amounted to a mere £4.7m in 2014 – and that was including her last slam win at Roland Garros the same year.

Sharapova’s eight-year deal with Nike is worth £49m while she also has a five-year contract with Evian and a three-year deal with Porsche.

Watch the video from ESPN –

Photo Credit: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

21 Comments on Highest Paid Female Athlete in the World – Tennis Star Maria Sharapova Failed Drug Test “‘I made a huge mistake”
  • Anon March 8, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Indeed! I was reading Jennifer Capriati’s timeline yesterday and I shook my head.

• zeebond March 8, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I wonder how upset the whole world would have been if this was Serena!

• Julie March 8, 2016 at 2:40 pm

My thoughts exactly, because its Maria we are all oooing and ahhing… Doping is doping.

• Madame March 8, 2016 at 2:55 pm

If it was Serena, they would have vilified her. Sigh. But for Maria we get the “poor woman” narrative. I’M DISGUSTED! Yup, no equality in sports either.

• Md March 8, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Exactly, that is one of the reason I detest feminism, because it only benefits white women, white women only use black women for their own gain.. seen this happen several times. Even in Oscars. .when that white woman Arquette talked about pay equality ( which favors white women) both black and white women stood up and clap for her but when viola Davis talked about the disparities of roles for coloured women in Hollywood, only black women stood up while white women sat down and one white woman even criticize her on twitter. Sisterhood my ass.

• Ada Nnewi March 9, 2016 at 3:03 am

I thought exactly the same thing..

• Miss Mo March 8, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Isnt it amazing that she hasn’t accomplished as much as the Venus sisters yet , she is the highest paid. not even considering other Female sports, just tennis alone.

Such a crying shame, all the endorsements and she couldnt even do it right

• Juwon March 8, 2016 at 1:30 pm

All that doping and she still couldn’t beat Serena. *insert gif of phaedra parks mmm-hmming*

• Segi March 8, 2016 at 1:52 pm

From her explanation, the drug wasn’t illegal until a couple of months ago and if she had been on if for 10 years with no issues… I guess they can cut her some slack. Or can any pharmacist in the house enlighten us on what the drug is used for?

• nene+ March 8, 2016 at 2:47 pm

theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/08/meldonium-maria-sharapova-failed-drugs-test
      Watch this for explanation on the drug.

• *rme March 8, 2016 at 2:06 pm

This, honestly, is disappointing. Not that I care so much about Maria, but I once watched a documentary about her and saw how young girls in her country adore and look up to her. I imagine what they must be feeling now; our superwoman is not soo super. Too bad.

• beauty March 8, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Wow, so sad sincerely…

• Julie March 8, 2016 at 2:39 pm

All these sports men and women have someone who keeps them up to date with what’s illegal – so i feel she has no excuse, with all the money she is making. But trust the world because she is white and blonde she will be forgiven. If it were Serena, it would have been made a bigger deal.

• prince March 8, 2016 at 3:51 pm

its a pity

• me March 8, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Maria Sharapova still lost 18 consecutive matches to Serena even with all the doping….

• Annienonymous March 8, 2016 at 4:20 pm

At least we now know why she screams/screeches when she plays… She was as high as a kite!!

• swagg1 March 8, 2016 at 6:33 pm

What a loser and not surprised. Instead of her dealing with her issue of getting bursted, she was busy complaining about the hotels carpet. Serena, watch out we all know that all you guys are “doper “and also “throw games”.

• zee March 8, 2016 at 7:27 pm

If she’s been on dis drug for ten years it means her heart is not okk since its used to treat cardiac conditions and that is also against d rules of d game!!! I hope she gets banned

• Manny March 8, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Her earnings from tournaments amounted to a mere £4.7m in 2014. MERE????? Oluwa ooo
    She really has no excuse. Saying that she didn’t click on a link is BS. High profile athletes have people that monitor their medicine usage and such.

• Uber bella March 8, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Thank goodness it’s not Serena though. I guess it’s time to retire Maria.

• mabel March 9, 2016 at 12:19 am

I love Maria and I hope they forgive her. Take the endorsements but not the game. I don’t want her depressed and the next thing she will be jumping off windows. That would break my heart.