Laolu-P2-2

You’ve got to love how Nigerians are making positive impact in the world!

Visual artist and singer, Laolu Senbanjo has teamed up with Nike to come up with a collection that draws inspiration from his Yoruba heritage and global travels.

According to Nike, at Air Max Con, he’ll be creating art, incorporating his love for Air Max, New York City, and sports.

Laolu-AirMax

Laolu, who actually trained as a lawyer, excitedly shared the news with his followers on Instagram saying “I’m making my dreams a reality. This is my ayanmo. Create your destiny. Let me be your inspiration. Just do it!!!!”

You can check out some of his other artworks on his Instagram page @laolunyc

22 Comments on Inspired by his Yoruba Heritage! Nigerian Visual Artist Laolu Senbanjo collaborates with Nike
  • Nakoms March 19, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Just do it!

Naija for life!. The cup is half full! I keep saying this. For every story like this there are a million more, the only problem is they never get a platform such as this for exposure. What we hear are the negative stories of how dark we are as a people; a lie which unfortunately having spread for so long stands for truth. This negates all I have seen and experienced of my country. The people are good, kind creative and hard working and most importantly forgiving. Too forgiving. Too forgiving of politricktians who have capitalised on this virtue to worsen our lot.

Give Naija a place to stand and we will move the world. And this is just a tip of the iceberg. NIGERIA WILL BE A MEMBER OF THE G7 COUNTRIES IN THE NEXT FEW DECADES.
    Mark my words when I say for every story like this there are a million others. I know because in in the course of my business travels round the country (I have been to almost every state in Nigeria) I have seen the true Nigerian. The type you don’t get to see on social media. The type that are too busy in nation building to be spewing hate and venom on a country that has given so much to them.

MARK MY WORDS.

• ‘Deola March 19, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Will our story be better if we owned the platforms. Imagine if a Nigerian owned facebook, microsoft, and apple. It helps if we owned the manufacturing industries and our people can add value through their creativity.

• Kadara March 19, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Beautiful I want one already. Proud of him

• Damilola March 19, 2016 at 11:33 pm

I’m very happy for this guy. And the fact that guys like him are able to show their creativity and get recognized is amazing.
      Congrats to him.

• nwa nna March 19, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Very nice.. Time to step up my Nike shoe game 😀

• bb March 19, 2016 at 1:58 pm

I want one already

• Sommmie March 19, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Impressive goodluck

• Gistyinka Blog March 19, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Whoa, am very happy that Nigeria artists are getting known through the power of social media. This design are on point..

• X-Factor March 19, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Cee-Kay baba! Proud of you brov!
    I hope Donald Trump is watching…lol
    #Naijarocks

• nnenne March 19, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Love it.
    Need a pair.

• Tosin March 19, 2016 at 4:38 pm

omg , spectacular i noticed his over-the-top style years ago on some blog. lucky Nike.

• Sultana March 19, 2016 at 7:11 pm

This is so hilarious on many levels! Which Naija teenager uses balderdash in conversation with a mairuwa (water carrier)

I’m northern born and bred and i can assure you that this letter is as fake as fake can be. How can yinusa an illiterate mairuwa turned keke rider who has been hustling from age 12, did not go to school suddenly understand English enough to correspond? Biko, please let us be wise.

Do a test for your Hausa maiguard, Mairuwa, shoemaker. Write I need money and ask them to read it, there you have your answer. Even public primary school educated Hausa boys can’t read English, then …
    Ese did not like the boys in school and church, it’s now one dirty, no bathing nor brushing mairuwa and his cohorts she wee now like. Indeed!

P.S. have you seen a Naija teen referring to herself as a.k.a. Seriously, who does that?

Pls advise the letter writer to try again later, this one nor go work. Nonsense

• Simplyjane March 20, 2016 at 11:26 am

Wetin consine this epistle for here? Dem de talk of artistry, you come here de yarn opata! GOH!!!

• j’suis belle March 19, 2016 at 8:11 pm

woah GOD is in the business of changing people’s lives over nite this 2016,LORD may i not miss out in Jesus’ name

• Ijebujesha March 19, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Nigeria is a mere geographical expression-Awo. There is nothing called Nigerian. The guy is Yoruba -simple. It’s about time to do away with this facade of Nigeria. It is an impossible union that has only slowed down and hindered the potentials of the vast majority of us. Biafra and any other ethnic nation that wants to go should be allowed to conduct a referendum and go (if that is the outcome of the referendum). No union should be by fire, by force. Kudos to this great son of Oodua. May Allah continue to uplift him and me too.

• Josephine March 20, 2016 at 9:54 am

Great work! What does he mean by “this is my ayanmo”?

• ‘Deola March 20, 2016 at 12:21 pm

It means it is his destiny. In the sense that this is what my life’s purpose is about and is what I have resolved to do.

• dee March 20, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Ayanmo means destiny in Yoruba

• Destiny March 20, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Ayanmo in yoruba means Destiny

• Ij March 20, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Love the design… art is up in Naija. Hurrah 🙂

• Olukayode March 21, 2016 at 2:26 am

This is the Lord’s doing and it is marvelous in our sight!

• nunulicious March 23, 2016 at 9:57 pm

You embraced both sides of your identity, its not a surprise that are soaring! well done Laolu!