News

Genevieve Nnaji tells Encomium columnist Stella Dimoko-Korkus all about the ‘Oprah Experience’

BellaNaija.com

GOn the heels of her feature on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Genevieve Nnaji granted an exclusive interview to Encomium columnist Stella Dimoko-Korkus. In the interview, she shares her thoughts on the experience…

_________________________________________________________________________
Hello Genny

Stella how now?

How are you?

Good. You?

Fine. You must know why I am calling you?

Surprise me (Laughs)

Did you know you were profiled on Oprah.

How did that come about?

It’s a long story my dear

I have enough credit

(Laughs) Well, I was away on holiday and got a call from Iconola that Oprahs people wanted to speak with me. I thought it was a joke but I told her to go ahead and give them my number in the UK. Then my P.A also called to tell me, the blogger, Bella Naija had also called about the same issue and that she had given her my email and number. Then I got interested and started paying attention to my inbox which I hardly do. (Laughs).

Then what happened?

Well the mail came soon after, but before I could respond I got a call from the Supervising producer of the Oprah show and an interview was carried out immediately over the phone. She explained to me first of all that they were doing a show on the most famous talents around the world and in their research I was the famous talent for Africa. I can’t tell you how shocked I was.

So, what were the steps, give us details?

I am not good with details (laughs) but basically, I had about 3 telephone interviews with them. I gave them one or two numbers in Nigeria that they could deal with to send them all the stuff they need for the segment and that was it really.

Was there any chance of you physically going on the show?

I don’t know. They asked me if I had a valid visa and I said yes but straight off the bat they said they were not sure when it was going to air and logistics might be a problem so they would let me know. It was cool with me because I was holidaying different parts of Europe with non-refundable reservations (laughs) so I was hoping they would not want me to come over immediately because the exchange rate of the Euro these days is not for children. Then I had a charity show in Nigeria on my return so, it actually was fine by me either way.

Would you have loved to go on the show and sit on Oprah’s famous couch?

Sure. Why not, who wouldn’t?!(Laughs) But I didn’t and I have no issues with that whatsoever. I feel humbled that the big O and her people sought out little me in my little Nollywood box to do a profile on me on the most popular talk show in America. The fact that I was discussed at all is a great honour as far as I am concerned and can only be a good thing for me and I represent Nollywood. So, it’s good all around. Maybe one day. You never know.

What did you think about Oprah’s comment that the average Nigerian earns 400 dollars a year?

Well, unfortunately she was wrong. That works out at about 60k a year. The average Nigerian doesn’t earn that. Who is the average Nigerian? Civil servants. They do not earn 60k a year. Maybe they got their exchange rate wrong. I don’t know but that’s inaccurate I’m afraid.

She also said you earn the 6,500 dollars a movie.

Also a result of maybe the wrong exchange rate (laughs) I humbly submit that the figure is also inaccurate.

So what do you earn?

Stella, you know the regions of how much I earn. You and your paper have speculated on it several times and even when your speculations were not so accurate, it was not 6,500 dollars. The reality is, the average AMERICAN does not earn in a month what Oprah earns or even what I earn or even what most actresses in Nigeria earn every 2 weeks. We shoot movies in 2 weeks so these earnings should be viewed like that.

Did you call them to make these corrections?

I haven’t watched the show to be fair but I did see a little clip on Youtube where they showed some market women selling, not the beautiful part of Lagos. Western media never do really. This has been going on for years. Besides, those women are part of what makes Nigeria Nigeria. It’s part of our culture. So, if the western world prefers that as the picture of Nigeria, that is a problem for the ministry of foreign affairs. I think Nollywood has done a lot to show that there are other parts of Nigeria that are beautiful and I am interested in Nollywood because no one in Government is interested in us even though they should be as we are clearly the most popular export out of this country right now and should be funded adequately enough so as to represent the Country better but enough of that. I am tired of saying the same thing year in year out.

Do you think this will open doors in Hollywood for you?

(Laughs) I don’t know. I did not look at it as an avenue to break into Hollywood. I didn’t go looking for it , so it wasn’t premeditated. My view on Hollywood remains the same. I am an actress. I can work anywhere. I am passionate about a good story, particularly character driven stories. If your story is good and the character appeals, I will play the role. Although it would be nice to work with acclaimed Hollywood directors and actors, I have always maintained that when they are ready for a young African woman to take part in a project that they will come looking for us.

Finally, what is your overriding feeling on this?

Humility, Joy, Different feelings. Pride. I am just grateful to Oprah and her crew. I am honoured and humbled. It’s a great privilege and I am sure I will replay a million times over, Oprah saying Genevieve Nnaji . I am also proud of myself because I believe I have sacrificed a lot and worked hard and so, to be identified alongside all those other leading lights in their respective continents on a show as globally recognised as the Oprah Winfrey show I see as a little reward from God and the good will of my loyal fans. To be identified for work that I have done in my own little Nigerian box is truly gratifying to me.

Click to visit Stella D-K’s Blog

1. ladi

October 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Nice interview.

But, an average nigerian earns $400….Over 70% of Nigerians live under a dollar a day (and 365days in a year) do the math.

2. ladi

October 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Actually, just ok, interview!

3. olubee

October 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I luv genevieve’s responds to this, she sounds like a humble person. hopefully i’ll get 2 see this episode but till then luv watchg oprah everyday.Keep up d good work bella, oprah, genevieve, stella and all u strong black women out dere including d market women

4. teris

October 5, 2009 at 10:56 pm

well, good for you! but no resting on your oars girl!

5. zee

October 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Genny gurl……u said it all……I mean, how beautiful could you have stated your appreciation for your honor and towards our motherland……

Once again, we are proud of you genny…..a gem amongst us all…

6. rizzle

October 5, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Beauti freaking ful. I never got all the hulla baloo about this girl until now. Major props, abeg.

7. Aisha

October 5, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Wow what a read. I am so happy for you Genevieve. Thank God for his mercies. Thanks Bella for sharing the story, for all the doubters BellaNaija did play a part in putting Genevieve Nnaji and Nigeria on the map. By God’s grace Nigeria will make it through the hard work of notable Nigerians.

8. Aisha

October 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Plus I was Ist …. Hurray.

9. ariana

October 5, 2009 at 11:23 pm

For some reason,i personally don`t like the girl(genny),but she is a good actress and i`m pulled to watch her movies.Can`t wait to see/hear what happens next.wish her the best.

10. jtk

October 5, 2009 at 11:48 pm

i love u genevieve!! haha

11. me.

October 5, 2009 at 11:52 pm

I’m jus tryin to imagine the different emotions that would flood me if (when!) Oprah says my name (for something good obviously). Congratulations Genevieve. Seest thou a man diligent in his work…

12. Obi-talker

October 6, 2009 at 12:27 am

yes, yes, yes!!!!!!! I am the first to comment on such a good story. Well done Bella we now know how you were involved with the project. Genny is so confident, i like, i like!!!! Good thing she commented about the western media thingy. Congrats to Stella for breaking this interveiw!

13. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

October 6, 2009 at 12:28 am

kudos to you girl!you seemed humbled by the whole experience.The sky definitely is your limit

14. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

October 6, 2009 at 12:29 am

I just looked at the pic on this post and men………Genny is so pretty!!!she has definitely progressed from her days of doing “hot stuff” with K.B(trybes men) and co.

15. mary

October 6, 2009 at 12:36 am

Bella i am glad you have made reference to Stella’s blog as she is the origin amebo and you are the tush amebo, well done bella on your contributions to Oprah

16. lolly

October 6, 2009 at 12:44 am

Where are the folks that were asking Bella how she helped the Oprah show? Make una come read o.

Good job, Bella.

17. bbii

October 6, 2009 at 12:49 am

im first!! yee haw

18. Ada

October 6, 2009 at 1:06 am

Great response Gen! Ur blessed indeed.

19. omo urhobo

October 6, 2009 at 1:12 am

the euro exchange rate these days is not for children…buahahahaha! Na wa for Oprah o! 400dollars a year where did she get that from? not even househelps earn that…besides if what we earn is not as much as what they earn, there shld look at it based on the cost of living which in Nigeria is frankly not very high…I know parts of europe where the doctors earn 250 euros a month so what is Oprah on about? anyway nkan to ba wun anybody lo le fenu e so!

20. NNe

October 6, 2009 at 1:21 am

I never liked this woman as i always wrongly assumed she was full of sh*t and also because of her behind the scenes escapades known and confirmed.
    But in a weird was she has won me over.
    I am actually happy for her and hope she goes further than anyone can think.
    There is something about her,I think she is one of those people that no matter what she does,and no matter how people hate on her,hell..no matter how bad she even is,she remains uncommonly blessed and touched by some higher beign.
    She has gone really far and is a major success.I think my own hate for her was actually borne out of her beign able to do something she loves and get paid reasonably for it.I really hope she gets to the level of earning millions in dollars for a flick.
    But first she would have to sort out her …..hee hee hee..okay was just about to hate again.

Go on Mama Nadia…Your head must be extra strong and your personal chi guiding you must haveput in some extra work o…cus babes YOU ARE A STAR..WHETHER WE LOVE TO ADMIT IT OR NOT.

21. tiana

October 6, 2009 at 1:34 am

Congrats girl. Best wishes for da future.

22. eggone

October 6, 2009 at 1:38 am

great interview. she sounds grateful and humble as well. I pray more blessings come your way.

23. jen

October 6, 2009 at 1:51 am

Western media loves to show the dirty markets, instead of the posh mansions, and skyscraper. It was an honour, but also a predictable depiction. Nnaji does not earn $6,500 per movie that is too small

24. Omoge

October 6, 2009 at 1:55 am

Very mature and on point.

25. Princess

October 6, 2009 at 2:01 am

Genevieve, you are very deserving of the credit and reward given by Oprah and her crew. Like you said your hard work, dedication and sacrifice has taken you places you never imagined. I tell people that if I was you I will be very proud that out of a million you were chosen. I think I am happier for you then you are for yourself. When I heard I ran to my computer and watched it on Youtube then posted it on my wall, then I wrote on my status “Princess is giving Genevieve Nnaji two thumbs up “lol… congrats once more.

26. Ink

October 6, 2009 at 2:29 am

HOLD UP! I had to take a break outta my studying to comment on this.

I’m disappointed that Oprah talked about the average income being $400 before she talked about Genevieve. Why is the Western media obsessed with countering African entertainment achievement with images of suffering?

Even when the NY Times talked about West African magazines this weekend, the implied subtext was that only the super rich read and buy True Love or Genevieve, True Love costs 700 naira, which is simply the cost of 1 MTN recharge card. yet they make it seem like the imagined ‘super rich’ are the only ones who read them. Are they trying to say I are illiterate? Because I am definitely not super rich.

NYtimes says, ‘In the wealthy neighborhoods of Lagos, Nigeria; Nairobi, Kenya; Luanda, Angola; Dakar, Senegal; and the like, ladies of leisure, successful businesswomen and middle-income housewives make up an attractive demographic that, in the past, relied on international fashion magazines for style and beauty information.’

Nigerian women did not ‘(rely) on international fashion magazines for style and beauty information.’ We have always thrived on a fusion between Western and our native culture. The sales of City People style magazine, Ovation and Encomium that our tailors use for style inspiration is proof of the local flavour. Internationally, only Spring and Summer collections from designers abroad have been able to influence our style. Trench coats or Winter Coats in Nigeria? Boots? I don’t think so! Louboutin heels with an Ankara jumpsuit? Strappy high heeled high-street inspired sandals with iro,buba and gele? YES!

Nigerian and West African media does not need the West’s validation. I simply smile when Oprah or NYTimes decides to talk about us, because they are telling me what I already know. We have worked our way up without government support into a bourgeoining movie and entertainment industry, we don’t need to be classified and dissected for us to recognize that.

Keep on working hard Genny, we love you. Rock on BN, you gimme all the entertainment news I need to know.

27. Ink

October 6, 2009 at 2:33 am

*BN gives me all the entertainment info on My Country that I need to know.

28. Juno

October 6, 2009 at 2:57 am

Ms Nnaji is a true example of being the very best u can be. The world will come calling one way or the other. Just so very proud of her dedication to her craft. Baby girl’s got ‘IT’. ‘Nough said!

29. Ginger

October 6, 2009 at 3:19 am

Holler!

Go Genny! Go Bella 😀

30. Marian

October 6, 2009 at 3:45 am

Congrats Gene!! Your responses are so intelligent.

31. Anyvic

October 6, 2009 at 4:06 am

Nice interview…..i like her Humility

32. ladi

October 6, 2009 at 5:51 am

This interview is ok.

I totally agree with Ink but we middleclass-and-up Nigerians should stop thinking we represent the average. Even if we have blackberries, travel in and out, attend every Petit Marche and read True Love, and wear Loubos.

That is the reason, we get bad press because the rich are only very few (unlike the rich in UAE and other OECD countries). I’m an Economics/ African studies major and it is so embarassing when I find out that 70% of Nigerians live under a dollar a day.

N700 is expensive (I know because of cost but compare Elle is $3 which is even not the cheapest for Americans talk less of Nigeria) and not ‘simple’ recharge card. In the Nigerian bank I interned, in with all the highly paid women, we used to wait for one person to buy True Love and ‘share.’ Did you read the NYtimes article, what is the circulation of True love?

Nigeria has 130million people. Do the math.

$400 per individual makes sense (though GDP per capita is higher)

If we stopped watching free movies on onlinenigeria.com and youtube and just went to silverbird or bought the DVD, maybe Genny and co can earn better. $6,500 is over N750,000 per movie.

33. ladi

October 6, 2009 at 5:59 am

Why is Nigeria ranked lowest 30 for earnings in the whole world?
    Oprah exagerrated but it is true (under $1000 a year).

34. Ink

October 6, 2009 at 6:17 am

I totally agree with you too. I wrote a more detailed critique of the feature and the NY Times article, and there are just too many subtle layers of suggestions that the features make for me to analyze here.
    1. The first thing is, contrasting the market women images and Genny’s glamour shots served no narrative function. It IMPLIED, with the aid of the voice over, that the market woman is an ‘average’ Nigerian. This propagates stereotypes and belittles the purpose of promoting Genny’s elevated status in the first place. How can Americans justify Oprah’s earnings in this economy? Would pictures of inner city neighbourhoods be placed side by side with images of Oprah on the red carpet? Does that even make sense considering that Oprah is from the South, which is more rural?
    2.This leads to my second point: The less than 1 dollar a day thing. Approximately 50% of all the United States’ wealth is held by the top 20% of households in the US. Hows that for equitable distribution? Yet with every feature of Conde Nast, Vogue, and the conglomerate that owns LV, Hennessy and Moet, this fact is not always mentioned. This fact, in my opinion is not reliable because it does not take into account the diversity of cost of living in urban and rural areas in Nigeria.
    3. The NY Times article outrightly states that Africans relied on foreign magazines for ‘beauty information’. Thanks to tailors, our creativity is not only enhanced by influences from Western cultures-‘ankara jumpsuits and Loubys’ but also by using the same material to create many different styles, influenced both from styles abroad and at home. The image of the loubys and so on was just to provide a striking example that we see in society magazines every week.
    4. The market woman is not the average. And neither is the socialite. The way Oprah constructed her article, you wouldn’t tell that there was some kind of middle ground.-
    The parents of kids that go to private unis for example.
    The Ny Times articles implied that the readership of these new articles was somehow tied to the purchasing power of those who read it.
    If this was true, then how would True Love be in every salon that I go to do my hair in Lagos?
    Basically, they have presented a limited view of the division of our society, based on too many assumptions, in subtle ways that we may not even realize.

35. Ink

October 6, 2009 at 6:24 am

Plus Ladi wrote, ‘with all the HIGHLY PAID women, we used to wait for one person to buy True Love and ‘share’.’ So we can see that the women DID have the purchasing power-they are ‘highly paid’, they were simply unmotivated to buy the magazine because they knew someone else would.

VALUE vs. COST. This has to do more with how we are motivated to consume things as humans. With all the highly paid women, we used to wait for one person to buy True Love and ’share.’ i.e. we wanna see if there is something good in the mag, that would make it worth buying or not. e.g. a feature on a little known model may not be as valuable as one on Genevieve. So we can see right there, that it wrongful to equate the assumed purchasing power of a magazine reader with the economic disparity within the country.

36. cgh

October 6, 2009 at 6:34 am

Genevive, you are humble and very intelligent, I admire u.

37. 2 gems (Dith)

October 6, 2009 at 6:40 am

Niceee. I loved it

38. Gennyz #1 Fan

October 6, 2009 at 6:42 am

I Loooooooove Genny..shez jus effortlessly beautiful doesn’t try too hard to be a “celebrity” like most of the other young nigerian actresses do! Plus the thought of how her being featured on oprah would make madam “Omosexy” and her fellow haters feel jus makes me so happy!! Hahahahaha In Your Face Omo-T!!!…Lol

39. ladi

October 6, 2009 at 7:28 am

I agree. Inequality is widespread but the poorest American is not comparable to ours. considering the 1dollar poverty line.

My point is N700 is not cheap. Magazines are luxuries that only people who are not hungry will buy.

Did Genny say Civil servants average nigerians. Erm, and the 70% of country who are farmers are what? Home girl should have stuck to nollywood issues not socioeconomic stuff with wrong facts.

40. Cutiepie

October 6, 2009 at 8:41 am

Genny is great..And i think 700naira is expensive for a mag…Justthot i shld put it out there..

41. Busisiwe

October 6, 2009 at 10:13 am

Spot on! I really liked your comment

42. sweetie

October 6, 2009 at 10:21 am

i am so sick and tired of viewing an article, picture, post and the next comment that follows is something to do with “HATERS” , i mean lease WTH!!! please i think omotola and genevieve are really good actresses and have accomplished a lot individually, people are always trying to cause so called “beef” between these two. Did any of them ever open their mouth to say that they dont like the other, na wa o!! ABEG, GENNY CONGRATS JAARE, and OMOTOLA CONGRATS FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING ABOUT THE WOMEN IN SIERRA LEONE; God bless the both of you.

43. May

October 6, 2009 at 10:22 am

U go gurl, I hope 2 see u in Hollywood soon. Nice interview,intelligently answered. Good good luck & please press on till u get there….

44. ubioworo

October 6, 2009 at 10:24 am

I’m impressed,she’s got both beauty and brains..Very rear combination in Nollywood.Keep the flag flying.

45. nandy

October 6, 2009 at 10:28 am

itz the talent of a man that maketh way 4 him,he shall not stand b4 mere men but b4 kings.Genny go itz ur turn 2 shine,very proud of u girl!the sky is ur starting point babe!

46. abeni

October 6, 2009 at 10:52 am

I hate OPRAH..PERIOD!

47. nigerialist

October 6, 2009 at 11:29 am

For her talent, its a shame she doesn’t get paid more

48. titi

October 6, 2009 at 1:53 pm

ur own issues,period!,who cares

49. moi

October 6, 2009 at 3:33 pm

@ cutiepie, Genevieve is not the owner of Genevieve mag it’s owned by Betty Irabor so be sure before making comments and I think for the quality and content N700 is nt bad

50. adaeze

October 6, 2009 at 4:28 pm

ladi, i wonder were you get your facts from…70% of Nigerians are farmers???what statistics have u been taking? agriculture which used to be a major source of revenue for Nigeria has taken a backseat unfortunately but gal pls! 70% of Nigerians are not farmers…the villages are almost empty cos everyone has come to the urban cities to better their lot (whether or not their lot is actually bettered is another topic)

and N700 is not expensive for the average Nigerian…..it is almost the cost of an MTN recharge card and the average Nigerian owns a phone.
    and if people dont buy a mag , it doesnt mean they cannot afford it!

not surprised at oprah tho…these pple already have a bias when it comes to Africa…..Nigeria is no America..agreed..but pls!the vaerage nigerian does not earn 60k a yr..some nigerians might but not d average nigerian..i mean..dats just wrong!

51. lady lilac

October 6, 2009 at 4:45 pm

@adaeze….abi ooo

i kinda agree with genevieve…a civil servant for instance is definely not wealthy…. a honest civil servant cannot even be classified as “middle class”…really…they are barely comfortable at most and even they do not earn 60k a year..so all this GDP per capital based on inaccurate data should just stop!

52. Just saying

October 6, 2009 at 7:14 pm

an average nigerian earns $400??? men thank God for great jobs paying $100,0000 and above!!

53. labalaba

October 6, 2009 at 7:30 pm

well… Oprah wasn’t wrong by saying the average income in Nigeria is less than $400/yr. it is an economic fact.
    the average income is a calculation of the net income divided by the population, with over 80% of our population living below poverty line, her saying below poverty line was making it fancy…. the actual amount is about $354/yr.

54. bbii

October 6, 2009 at 7:33 pm

heheehe!! oprah and her beef with nigeria… she doesnt matter there i guess thats whats tearing her down.. heheeh!!!!

55. mayowalulu

October 6, 2009 at 8:38 pm

awwwwwwwwwwww woww! i really like her!

56. mary

October 6, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Yes you are right! Nigeria claims to have over 150 million people and yet the number of mobile users is still less than 40 million with the average mobile phone user having more than one line further reducing that number of users to less than 25 million people the others cannot afford it. Please do not base your average Nigeria based on the Lagos people you see, even half of Lagos working class still earn less than 40000 naira a month! where does that leave us? people generally leave on less than a dollar a day in Nigeria

57. ladi

October 6, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Im studying Economic development and I worked in microlending for farmers. How many people live in the city? 7 million in Lag, kano 3m and 1m in Abuja, Ph and Ib. How many real cities are in Nigeria? Barely
    40% of people are urban.

Go and GOOGLE it or do research dear. 70 percent of our labor force is employed in agriculture.

58. la

October 6, 2009 at 11:13 pm

The Genevieve mag issue was on another comment on NYTimes article on True Love magazine. No one said it was owned by Genevieve Nnaji.

59. tatafo!

October 7, 2009 at 2:27 am

Ladi, the people who come on BN cannot relate to the reality you are trying to paint. A lot of the middle class is outside of the country so it really does leave a large disparity which is why people do not believe these stats cos they are being left out of the equation.

60. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

October 7, 2009 at 2:39 am

I hate when they make up facts based on another country’s currency and standard of living.Even if the average Nigerian income is $******* (whatever amount oprah said) does that amount mean the same thing in Nigeria and USA?

61. pamela

October 7, 2009 at 6:46 am

i dont really agree.cos if average nigerian is considered it would be the civil servants.”working class”,the least people earn from working as a civil servant the last time i checked is 15k a month which is the first level and multiplied by 12 is 180k..and u saying 4000 a month..wow…the average nigerians are the middleclass people which are the civil servants not the poorest or the richest..just my opinion

62. fifi

October 7, 2009 at 3:46 pm

That you all can afford recharge cards does not mean that you shd 4gt that at least 60% of this country’s population live in abject poverty-some dont know whr their next meal will come from. I dont think Oprah did well in making us look bad as a nation but hey, she did not lie!

63. ladi

October 7, 2009 at 7:02 pm

erm, Sooo wrong! There are very few on top and few in the middle (civil servants) with majority at the bottom. Averages are about MATH! So Civil servants are middle class but not the average.

Y’all are offended but truth hurts. Lets realize we are from one of the poorest places in the world. Get used to it or do something about it instead of bashing Oprah for honesty.

64. GOGO

October 8, 2009 at 7:33 pm

GENNY BABY U TOO MUCH, U DESERVE ALL DAT COMES UR WAY!
    U’VE PAID 4 IT WIT UR PERFORMANCES, WUD CONTINUE 2 REMBA D HILITES OF UR CAREER. CHEERS 2 D IRON LADY

65. an

October 9, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I dont think the reason Gene was metioned by oprah has anything to do with her physical appearance as some people seem to insinuate.I think its because she’s a very talented actress.Gene interpretes her role with so much passion that sometimes you actually forgets she’ just acting.I beg the sky na her limit !!!

66. samson

October 9, 2009 at 2:46 pm

i agree with you

67. Oyewo Kehinde |Sidiqat

October 10, 2009 at 7:29 am

let us do our own calculation and know how much average nigerian is collecting. if we are doing bad or good we will know. Cheer!!!!!!!!!!!

68. Poet

October 12, 2009 at 6:47 am

Oprah likes looking for my trouble o! WTF is $400 a year? Is she mad? O ma si ayi nwere osisi na mi ego na naija? Ka o kpachakpu anya o!

69. taiwo

October 16, 2009 at 10:04 am

anyway,na oprah know,i am waiting for her to come to naija so me and her go yarn. dis mite hurt but dat is nt my intention,i think OMOTOLA EKEINDE deserve dis attention dan Genevieve,period.

70. flowmiz

November 3, 2009 at 6:03 pm

u guys jus dey display ur ignorance for here!theres a formula for calculating these things and dats wat the oprah pple used.and yes like someone above rightly pointed out,those cars u see on lagos roads and those fancy suits u see on lagos bankers dont mean the majority of nigerians are having it good o!men pple dey suffer o,wella pass wetin u fit imagine,jus bcos u fit afford to recharge ur fone no mean say pple dey lounge o,go to the rural areas and see suffer firsthand,how many pple fit even afford to feed not to talk of owning a fone?and dont forget despite how jampacked oshodi and all our urban areas look,65 percent of nigerians still reside in the rural areas,so dont be deceived!stop attacking oprah for saying the gospel truth,do ur own research before calling her names,no be say i gbadun the woman anyway cos her mouth too big and she dey always do like say shes the final authority on tins wey no concern am sef….nonsense

71. Benjy

November 5, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Well Taiwo Ekeinde, if Omotola deseved it she would have gotten it. She didn’t and that says a lot. You might be more of an Omotola fan than a Genny’s but at least be honest and give honour to whom honour is due. Omotola will always trail behind Genevieve because that’s how God wants it. So deal with it. If not, Take it up with Oprah.

72. riri

November 8, 2009 at 1:06 am

I have my own issues with Oprah, but I think a lot of you guys are missing the point. First, I think one of the reasons she mentioned Genevieve Nnaji is because the most famous celebrity in the world was on her show, Aishwarya rai, and abhishek Bachchan, so I guess she also wanted to do the most famous celebrity in Africa, and Genevieve Nnaji is.

The truth is, an average person makes $400 or even less a year in a country like Nigeria. Only in developed countries, does the average person have full access to basic necessities. There’s a big gap between the rich and poor, in somewhere like Nigeria.
    The only problem is that, Americans forget that dollar is higher, so by the time $400 is exchanged, it wil be enough for an average person to survive, in a country like Nigeria. It said an average person, that doesn’t mean some Nigerians don’t make more than that. Oprah didn’t make Nigeria or Nigerians look bad, that’s exactly what’s happening, so she’s pretty accurate. Don’t blame her, blame the leaders!!!

73. uchman

November 21, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Hello riri, u have to do a proper arithmetic before arguing the fact that Oprah was wrong. No average Nigerian citizen makes 60 thousand naira a year in Nigeria. That was an insult. When we talk of average, we mean citizens in between the rich and poor. Anyone who earns 5,000 naira or there about per month spontaneously belongs to the poor class, cos that amount cannot even sustain you for one month feeding wise, let alone see to ur house rent and all what none.

74. uchman

November 21, 2009 at 7:00 pm

u guys just babble on the net foolishly. I bet ur problem is that u don’t understand the word ‘average.’ It’s just like saying that an average American earns 100 dollars a month. I maintain that that was a wrong calculation. No citizen who considers his or herself average lives on 5000 naira a month, because that is what u get when u convert 400 dollars to naira and then divide it by 12. She should have said that poor people live on 400 dollar and not an average nigierian. If u earn 400 dollars a year, that means u are indigent. So, oprah i would clearly say, exaggerated at this point, rather than making a proper calculation and stating the fact. This is a world wide show. People should be candid and careful projecting certain things. Ofcourse, that’s the western style when it comes to Africa. Good job for recognising Genevieve my babe as the most famous african icon. She deserves it. Genevieve is indeed a bunch of real talent, representing Nollywood for real. I cant still forget the crowd the pulled in Liberia when she visited; Angelina Jolie of Africa, Oprah called her. That was cute. From Face of Lux to one of the most famous talents in the world. An honour from Almighty Oprah.wow, what a great achievement. I can’t believe it. Am so happy for genny

75. riri

November 22, 2009 at 12:50 am

I agree. I didn’t know $400 is equivalent to 60,000 naira. If that’s the case, it was definitely a wrong calculation, so I guess an average Nigerian person can’t sustain on $400 a yr, especially if they are working class right!!!
    Africa is a poor continent, and sometimes, it’s hard to see beyond the stereotypes, even though, there are some truth to the stereotypes. I noticed Africans get angry when something negative is said about their country, and my point is, people are saying what they see, so who do you blame? The westerners, or the leaders who are just embezzling all the money , and do nothing for their people.Thanks for pointing it out nicely!

76. Shade

January 29, 2010 at 11:53 am

She spoke so well, I’m proud of her!

77. abby

March 11, 2010 at 11:55 am

Genieve has been great form day 1, i remember her from Ijele, i knew she was a bundle of talent immediately, and her personal issues/relationship, crisis, competitors,and even Alaba boys cannot take that from her.
    Congrats!dearie, keep your head up and u will go farther….Love