Everyone I know wants to get married! To stand on the altar, in front of family and friends, confess their undying love for their partner and live happily ever after! Now that’s the stuff dreams are made off!
But unfortunately, real life after marriage is not quite the fairy tale romance the Cinderella and Snow White stories promised us. Today, more than ever before, there seems to be a higher rate of divorce among young couples. Marriages of only 10, 15, 5 years and even 6 months seem to be the order of the day! Irreconcilable differences and infidelity are just some of the reasons behind most divorce cases.
But these issues in themselves aren’t entirely new. Our parents contended with these problems and more, and today are celebrating 50 years wedding anniversaries! So what’s the difference between the marriages of our parents and the marriages of today?
There are different schools of thought on this issue:
- Some suggest that our microwave generation has no patience. We want things to happen right now and have no patience to fix things when they go wrong.
- Others suggest that women are to blame. Apparently, the 21st century woman, with her education and high-flying career, has forgotten what it means to be a wife and this is the primary cause of arguments in many marriages.
- Some say the men are ‘spoiled for choice’, with too many woman chasing after them and the lack of commitment and willpower to stay faithful.
- We have even heard that ‘it is all spiritual’ and the devil is trying to ruin the institution of marriage!
- While others say this is nothing new! Many of our fathers, mothers, grandmothers and grandfathers were simply ‘suffering & smiling’ through bad marriages.
- Another popular reason that seems to pop up is that people get married for the wrong reasons. Finances, family, pressure and when the foundation isn’t solid, we all know what happens to the building…
But what do YOU think?
Photo Credit: Hello Beautiful