News

Bride-To-Be Toke Makinwa Talks Wedding Planning, Bleaching, Her Accent & More!

BellaNaija.com

toke makinwa doranne beauty

Toke Makinwa is engaged! The media starlet may have joked about getting a ring a few days ago (See Here), but she’s already engaged! Toke shared the great news with Liz Yemoja for The Genevieve Magazine Show on Igroove radio.

Notable Quotables:

On accents,

“Do you expect me to sound like a savage? I’m sorry. And I studied English language … people spend so much time dwelling on the wrong things. Can the person just breathe?

Am I communicating? Then please just let it be.”

On her engagement,

“I’ve known him for 11 years. We’ve been dating off and on for about 8 years. Yes, we got engaged this year. We were supposed to get married this year as well. I think it’s our scheduling, our schedules got so busy.”

On bleaching,

“I think it’s unfair to think it’s a Nigerian women thing. A lot of women all over the world, Asian women bleach, Indians, … You have music stars, Beyoncé and Rihanna who have advanced from how they were when they started their career.”

Liz asks, “But have you gotten lighter since you started?”

“If I maintain my skin tone I think it’s perfectly my business. I don’t think it’s something that people should be asking me about… How does that put money in your pocket? Have you gotten lighter? Are you telling me you haven’t gotten a soap that says skin lightening or skin brightening, Liz responds, “I have” and laughs.

Let’s just be honest with ourselves.”

Toke also talks about how her sister encouraged her to audition for Silverbird and follow her dreams.

Watch the interview here:

By the way, this photo of Toke for her friends’ traditional wedding on Thursday, makeup by Doranne Beauty. How gorgeous does she look? Can’t wait to see the wedding looks! Her birthday is still round the corner, hope we see a ring pic!

1. Bleed Blue

November 2, 2013 at 3:22 pm

She doesn’t rub me the wrong way like she does a lot of BN commenters. Her accent, her dress sense, her skin tone, her vlog topics, her attendance at events etc seem to be such an issue for a lot of people. I fully understand that when you’re in the public eye, you should expect criticism BUT I’ve never really understood the special brand of cyber hate that this girl receives.

I already fear for the barrage of berating comments coming her way…sigh

• Miss_Flygerian

November 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Tell me about it. Till tomorrow, I still will not understand why Toke is so different that she has to receive all the hate. People just come in here and hate on her for no solid reason. It’s like the moment they read Toke’s name, they get high blood pressure. I just can’t understand.

• Maurie

November 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

lol at they get high bp…haters gonna hate but life still goes on

• Non professional opinion

November 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I think the “hate” is less to do with what she is or does
      and more to do with the fact she doesn’t “own” it. What’s wrong
      with saying “people are fascinated with my skintone and the truth
      is it is somewhat *enhanced*, and while I’m not advocating it for
      everyone! I prefer myself this way. Similarly my accent mat not be
      nature-given but if you listen to the radio these days foné seems
      to be the order of the day and if I can give myself a professional
      advantage with my diction I would be foolish not to” Hiding behind
      “it’s nobodies business” while discussing her business in an
      interview is disingenuous and makes it seem like she has a complex.
      I understand that for a long time she was Maje’s on and off jump
      off from the wrong side of the tracks, but she is a celebrity in
      her own right now and even if she wasn’t, life is too shorter to
      feel inferior to anyone.

• Truth..

November 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm

God bless you. I really don’t get why Nigerians are so full
      of hate..it’s just sad..and the chic is right tho,she’s got an
      accent but guess what?i totally comprehend what she says.

• Fleur

January 18, 2018 at 10:55 pm

I think I am confused. Has it been 8 years since the end of marriage with Maje? Btw, I think ppl hate on her for the same reason they hate on Linda Ikeji

2. Miss_Flygerian

November 2, 2013 at 3:25 pm

waiting for the hate comments to roll in…*grabs a seat and a bag of popcorn*

• Kia

November 2, 2013 at 6:55 pm

With you there.

3. Posh

November 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Lol abeg nice one even me that’s dark skin was really fair as a child so I used toning cream to bring back my colour not did I used toning cream plus the English weather helped too. I love my toned skin colour now but not too fair or yellow just normal

• essy

November 2, 2013 at 4:31 pm

can you recommend the toning cream to me?please people don’t yab me lol

• itsjustme

November 2, 2013 at 9:21 pm

estee n pure glycerine

• Frances

November 19, 2013 at 7:38 am

My dear, Toke back thenm started with a very potent mix of G & G…the jar, 4 tubes, and the soap…
      she cant deny this, I was her room mate in her first year

4. Atinuke

November 2, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Toke I love you jor! Your haters will be hating while you are enjoying and moving on with your life.

5. lola aji

November 2, 2013 at 3:43 pm

i like toke, the fact that she is beautiful makes petit
    people hate on her.

• nene

November 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm

beautiful gini? she’s not beautiful biko. however, i don’t know why people insult her everytime. maybe people she wronged in her past? or fake friends? who knows? she’s just an average nigerian girl who is a tatafo and likes talking.

• Real

November 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm

“beautiful gini? she’s not beautiful “… Wow what a
      reply… Are you the only one with eyes to recognize beauty? You
      cannot argue on beauty because beauty is in the eyes of the
      beholder. Toke is a beautiful woman inside and out in my eyes…
      And the reason why people hate her is because she is confident,
      which is much expected.

• Anne

November 3, 2013 at 7:52 am

Beautiful? So not!

• Non professional opinion

November 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Normally I don’t really rate Toke’s looks and I’m not even a fan, but you must admit she looks pretty gorgeous in the native pic.

6. Ecneica

November 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Am so in love with her neck piece and the makeup

7. bimby

November 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Am sorry, but she looks so plastic and aged.

• Dora the explorer

November 4, 2013 at 12:01 am

there we go!!!

8. ama

November 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm

past haters,present haters ,potential haters,as if she cares the hell about them all.she is leaving her dream.so keep on building heart attacks for yourselves.toke you are great.
    there are faceless people here who are doing crazy and abominable things one cant imagine,but are free because they are not in the limelight. i beg make she breath fresh air.

• Truth..

November 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Gbam! Gbammer! Gbammest!

9. Jesseswife

November 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Way to go Toke…your haters will soon be silenced…

10. Jennifer

November 2, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I like the fact that pp on here are commending her and rising to her defense. On Linda ikeji’s blog, she was severely criticized for being fake and all. I didn’t think it was fair. As far as am concerned, she is a nice person, always smiling and full of humour. Her personal life may be different from what she preaches to ladies but I don’t care. Her blog changed my life when my friend who I loved and who obviously loved me too asked me out officially after we watched one of her blogs and she spoke right into our situation. It made him realize how unfair our undefined relationship was. She has a great sense of humour, always smiling and her accent adds to to her wit. Moreover, she looks happy with her man. More than I can say for most married couples around.

• Bleed Blue

November 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Awwwww that’s so sweet… see how I’m smiling. I’m such a
      sucker for love stories though! 🙂

• I formerly known as Miss Anonymous

November 4, 2013 at 10:25 am

Awwww!

11. Beht why?

November 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm

AH!! I had to re-read.. Sister, It’s not that deep now..

• Omo1

November 4, 2013 at 5:43 pm

My dear no be me cause am oh!!! 😀

12. Modella

November 2, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Why the screaming headline?…it is not same blog,were she was interviewed,were she say she was engaged? Why the surprised BN? Lol @ Busy kwa,your write up sum it all…waiting for the comment…You go fear English graduate na!

13. Okechukwu Ofili

November 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm

On accents: YES On her engagement: YES On bleaching: YES
    End of interview. No long story.

• Rexie

November 2, 2013 at 7:20 pm

That’s really the gist of it, lol #next

• Dora the explorer

November 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm

on bleaching = maybe! loooool

14. J

November 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Praise the Lord Toke you are blessed and highly favoured.
    God bless you! I am so happy for you. keep up the good work and you
    are so smart. Smart answers. keep it up. Congratulations and
    blessings for the future.

15. Leah

November 2, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Well 95% of the comments here are from Toke herself. You are out there every where making videos and giving interviews, you talk, talk, and talk some more but don’t what people’s opinion on what you give them, how convenient. So when people talk in their natural accent the sound like “savages”? How shallow? And you really want to get away with that? No body “hates” her, she is looking for attention and she is getting it. You were on twitter a few days ago begging him to propose, now you don’t have time to wed. Fake, insecure, pretentious, and highly deluded. And please hold off on the routine “Jealous” nonsense, because bleaching, weave, fake accent and a fake engagement are really cheap and obtainable to every woman out there.

• SassyDiva

November 2, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I swear I thought I was the only one that caught on. Toke has learnt the art of e-warrior lol! But that’s such a cheap tactic, damn! that girl is thirst!

• Chic

November 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Thanks to BN’s Avatar system for comments, for Toke to keep replying to and making comments on here she would have to be using no less than 20 devices or open 20 or more user areas on whatever device she is using. Simply put if she made 95% of the comments here like you suggest we would be seeing similar avatars with different usernames. Try commenting using the same device and page that you made your first comment on with a different name and see what comes up same avatar different names get it? I honestly do not think anyone has time for that and no I am not Toke my name na Chic

• sideyeblankstare

November 3, 2013 at 7:09 am

no problem there, easy to have many devices at ones reach. have u counted the number of desk tops, lap tops, tablets, phones, game consoles, even internet tv in ur household?

• nunu

November 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I just love your comment! Am never her fan,but whatever she does,is being done by uncuontable nigerians! Bleacher of the year award goes to her!

• shadey

November 4, 2013 at 12:56 pm

WORD!!! An accent after just a year in the UK……hopping
      of and on red carpets every weekend at other peoples events and
      yet, no time to plan her own.if she doesn’t want us in her
      business, she should get out of our faces.

• forbisi

November 4, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Leah, I love u! u spoke 100% truth in every sentence. all u
      said her is what I wud hav said, but dint bother to comment cos BN
      dosnt post my toke comments.

16. eesha

November 2, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Too busy to plan? Abeg gaan sit down joor. Why do we have wedding planner? What do U̶̲̥̅̊ do that makes you too busy to plan your wedding but you can attend bridal showers and red carpet evsimple yes would suffice on the bleaching ewo ni rihanna and beyonce story. Not hating on you though. All the best

17. MyView

November 2, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Liar liar weave on fire! Toke you talk to much! From both sides of your mouth. If you can’t handle the critique, shut up already! Everything about this woman is fake. You are too busy parading around to plan a wedding to a man that you were publicly asking to marry you. Take some of your own advice and have some respect for yourself.

• Salt Fyfi

November 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm

You’re sad!! She snatch your man, abi the man na your brother? Take some chill pill Myview…

18. DocDeola

November 2, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Bleaching is bad for you. Just because people in america bleach doesn’t make it right. Black is beautiful and I cite ms GHana’s ebony skin. Bleaching and composed accent may imply a complex. Perhaps her role as a role model offends people as her image doesn’t advocate being yourself or being comfortable in one’s skin.

• TA

November 2, 2013 at 7:06 pm

100 likes!!

19. intheoverseas

November 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm

My own is please nobody should harrass Toke when the interviewer too is spewing “one kain” phoné that I’m struggling to understand!

• Chigbo

November 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Lmao!!!

• DestinedForGreatness

November 20, 2013 at 1:50 am

LMAOOO

20. yostic

November 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Are you telling me you haven’t gotten a soap that says skin lightening or skin brightening…lol.

NO, NO, NO I HAVEN’T. The way you asked that question sounds like you know your ways are suspect and dodgy . It’s just like asking, are you telling me you haven’t run past the traffic lights on red, or, are you telling me you haven’t bought a fake designer bag.

Please feel free to maintain your skin, but don’t assume we are all doing the same thing. Some of us are okay with our accents and complexions. And we hope to raise our future daughters that way. Many thanks.

• TA

November 2, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Thank you,thank you and God bless you for this comment. Your last 2 sentences should be etched on marble. Savage accent?! Oh my days!!! And i thought I had heard it all. Well,I can tell you for free that no human accent or language is superior to another. All humans who can use their vocal cords for speech have an accent. So no need to feel or act superior because you have acquired or developed a certain accent. I have done my CSR for today. #thank me later. 🙂

• TA

November 2, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Public Service Announcement: Guys,Please look up the meaning of ‘Accent’. Lol! 🙂
      #endofCSRactivities for today.

• TElemi

November 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Savage accent rubbed me off the wrong way as well. ‘Do you expect me to be sounding like a savage?” Really Toke?! Really????

• sefi-ann

November 3, 2013 at 2:02 am

thank you oo, this bleaching or sorry ‘toning’ (to appease those who refuse to admit that they are altering their skin tone) is getting out of hand. It arises from low self esteem and we as nigerian women need to have an open, honest discussion about it.

• labelle

November 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Gbam!

21. Anon

November 2, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Wanna be…. wanna be… wanna be… na you be savage mcheww to the next one please…

22. kemi

November 2, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Like i Always Say all comments Don’t have to b nice and point Of correction toke is not beautiful and @ busy kwa thumbs up u read my Mind

23. B

November 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Cool story, i think everyone has a pale of shit. Only when you stir it shall it stink. Toke started stirring her shit by tweeting now it is stinking everywhere. My take is let her be who she wants to be, she has got sisters and they are all lovely people. Toke, please when you get engage keep it quiet as the media and public is out for you.

24. Ibukun

November 2, 2013 at 6:15 pm

*drinking hot chocolate in a corner* This is serious *choking* is Toke Makinwa officially the most unliked human being in Nigeria? i don’t get it. anyway people have been hating on Wendy Williams before i was born and the woman is still here. hmmm do you know the mere fact that Toke has not yet run away to an unknown destination to escape the venom Nigerians spew her way is some sort of proof that she may outlive many of these faceless enemies of her soul. Haba! *nibbling on cookie*

25. Olori Tari

November 2, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Rest ma ! Please rest ! It’s never that serious ! Breathe ma !

• Olori Tari

November 2, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Don’t know why this comment is appearing here but it is meant to be under Busy Kwa’ comment.

26. Reasonable advice

November 2, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Toke supporters club. You are still wondering why she is hated? She just called our accent savage. Omotoke. Savage loun loun. I am sure your parents raised you better. And you wonder why you rub people the wrong way. You are a serial liar and gamer. You either adopt the Tonto stance or hire a PR professional because you are not helping yourself. Own your fakery and stop leading a double life. Too busy to plan a wedding? I have heard it all

• ao

November 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm

She did not call “our” accent savage. She spoke in the
      singular; about herself. Please stop exaggerating.

27. Tobenna

November 2, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Bleaching and composed accent may imply a complex…the word is called inferiority!!!

28. Uchechi

November 2, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I really like Toke Mankiwa…but she lied all through the interview…first, she is not busy to plan a wedding. She doesn’t have enough money for a classy ‘toke mankiwa’ kind of wedding…and hiding under the guise of been busy…reason the matter…who gets busy to plan her own wedding? better still…pay someone else to do it…secondly, she has a complex…serious one for that matter! want to change your accent…your colour…no hating…toke baby, believe me…but it was so soo glaring you have a really complex problem…hope you don’t pay the price for stardom with your marriage…be happy with whom you are…you don’t have to be someone else…to be star!

• Person

November 2, 2013 at 7:32 pm

You are the same person as Tobenna above. AVATARS don’t lie. And you are a hater.

• Worship and Swag

November 3, 2013 at 9:19 am

Lololololol! Avatar police, three gbosa for you. Cyber bullying is a no no…even worse when trying to “duplicate” the hate under a different name. Ha! 😀

• Olanma

November 3, 2013 at 11:12 am

No she isn’t a hater. She might have made duplicate comments, but all she said is correct; she actually made some sense. There’s NO duplication of hate there. I wonder when Nigerians will realize the truth isn’t hate. *shrugs*

November 4, 2013 at 9:33 pm

It is most definitely is hating when someone leaves comment under different names pretending to be two people on the same post. She had made her first comment, what was the point of reiterating the same thing? It was a ploy to make it look like she was not the only one with that opinion about Toke! Going that extra mile , is HATING!

• It's possible

November 5, 2013 at 9:28 am

Have you considered that 2 people could have watched the interview at the same time on the same system and each decided to drop their comments on that same system. There are always different sides to every situation so let’s not be too quick to make assertions.

November 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Yeah right!She commented at 6:46 pm and quickly gave someone else the computer to make their own comment at 6:53 pm. abi???The lies you tell!!!

If you want to hate on Toke, please stand your ground like Busy kwa did(not that I support her hateful utterances). Don’t be a coward leaving multiple comments under different names!

29. toke

November 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Bleaching and composed accent may imply a complex…just saying

30. Purpleicious Babe

November 2, 2013 at 7:09 pm

In all fairness Busy Kwa?, did make some valid points esp the accent thing. Truth is, honesty is the best policy. When you are honest with yourself, you are usually not defensive.
    Have said it before and I will say it again, in general some of us put on accents whether you are African, Asian etc we do it to a degree especially in an English speaking country. I guess some of us recognise when to switch to our native tongue if need be. In case of Toke, she likes to speak that way because she actually likes the sound of what comes out of her mouth which isn’t a bad reason. if I were her I would gladly say it with pride “and so I like forming in English its part of my identity and I actually feel better because I sound different and its not everyone that will like it but I DO”..

Like I said its all about being honest and knowing yourself. If someone accuses you of anything and there is an element of truth in it, I beg you admit to it and lets move on.
    And No toke does not sound British, tools sounds more British than her(no offence toke). She just likes to speak that way because she likes it… and NO Nigerians don’t sound savage o Toke, some of us just like to pronounce every word lol.

P.S. BN I dont like the supermalt icon thing jor that is following me around each time I scroll etc.

lifeinstagesdoz.blogspot.co.uk

31. Aidan

November 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Human Beings are just evil!
    Who has the poor girl offended?
    Bleaching, toning or whatever you decide to call it is practiced everywhere.
    India= Deepika Padukone, Shah Rukh Khan
    China= Fan Bing Bing et al!
    Please calm down.
    Fake it till you make it is not bad, it motivates.

• Nike

November 3, 2013 at 1:55 am

LOL. How did Shah Rukh Khan bleach o????????????????? He was lighter when he was younger sef

• sefi-ann

November 3, 2013 at 2:05 am

so because it is practised all over the world makes it right? If they started practising bestiality in other parts of the world, should nigerians too join hand? since according to your statement, consensus validates a particular behaviour. Very silly thinking.

32. Person

November 2, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I like Toke. I don’t know her from Adam, but dang! Babe is living her dreams, getting jobs left, right and centre and haters are still here hating. Like Ibukun wrote above, people have been hating on Wendy Williams since beginning of time. Guess what? SHE IS STILL HERE. And doing fabulous: has a show on tee vee and it got renewed this year till 2017. Haters gon hate but Toke will still be here when some people finally choke on their hate.
    As for ‘bleaching’, smh. A lot of Nigerians have sunbruned skin and they don’t even know it. Try using SPF 50 regularly and come back and yarn the nonsense you are currently yarning. It is Toke’s life. Free the babe.

33. sasha

November 2, 2013 at 7:48 pm

wait is she calling us.”savages” first of all if u go thru her videos she changes accents,not even to a good one but she sound like all this gutter lagos girls,and what with the facial expressions this isnt halloween.and i can bet you nobody will marry her.fake ass.

34. Bide

November 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm

The Lord is your strength oo Toke..

35. veevee

November 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm

@busykwa nne thank you! I love toke et al but she just spewed a whole of nonsense in that interview. My mouth wasopen the whole time from her lies and foolish statements..like so we that don’t form accents speak like savages ne? Imagine. Look at around you and realise that you practically just called your whole fam that. And don’t get me started on your wedding ish please..sisi tiwa that’s way more busy and in demand for is getting married this month o. Like play like play e go do you like film trick. Go work on yourself hon.

36. Kaybee

November 2, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Go Toke. Let the haters take Tylenol and OxyContin for your headache. You speak’well. It’s your choice. Haters go get a life….or easier still, form ur own accent. Ukrainian, perhaps?

37. toke

November 2, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Bleaching and composed accent may imply a complex..just stay!

38. nnennia ifepe

November 2, 2013 at 8:47 pm

an average naija girl in the UK even dose that have spent
    only one year for their masters all improved their accent.its a
    personal thing to choose to speak the way you want.i have never
    seen anyone that works in radio/tv stations that speak the natural
    english that we nigerians are known for without modifying their
    accent.as for tokes rlship,my opinion is that its nobodys
    business.business is different from personal life.she is not only
    one that have been into long rlship.i dont buy the toning skin idea
    but the truth is toke is making so much money and you guys re here
    hating the girl.tokeluv,wishing you the best and pray that your
    marriage will come up very soon.busy scheduling reason why the
    marriage has not been done;toke u re so smart and for those
    recommending wedding planners;hope you guys will use one for your
    wedding.

39. mama mia!!!

November 2, 2013 at 9:09 pm

You are also bitter for thinking everyone should have the
    same views as you, just because you look up to her, doesn’t mean we
    should. Every thing the person above said is right! I don’t get why
    we should celebrate mediocrity? Watched her on moments with mo and
    was so shocked by her responses to certain questions. However,
    adorah oleh was more engaging and firm you could tell the lady has
    standards. Big ups to adorah and toolz for getting it. Check
    yourselves if you see comments without insults but facts as hate.
    Ain’t no body got time for that! Ps: didn’t read through.

40. Idy

November 2, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Can u let the poor girl be, damn haven’t u ever heard of
    pple are different and priorities are different too….why don’t u
    go mind ur own biz ness and go nurse ur bitter life instead of
    picking on someone who has done nothing to u. Hating on d gal for
    nothing cos she got a better life and man than urs……hypocrite
    oshi

41. funmi

November 2, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Good job busy kwa. My exact thoughts. U spoke my mind..
    Awesome! Shess got a low self esteem

42. jjjjjj

November 2, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Honestly cannot stand this girl. She made me stop kistening
    to 93.7 in the morming. Once I hearheronce mysk

43. NNENNE

November 2, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Congratulations Toke. Hope you have a fun filled married
    life.You deserve nothing but the best. It is important to point out
    though, that bleaching is not good for our skin because of the
    health hazards like skin cancer. If you choose to do that as an
    adult knowing the consequences fine but you must let the younger
    ones looking up to you know the risks of skin bleaching. You are a
    role model of some sort and you owe it to them. NOT ALL OF US
    BLEACH.

44. slice

November 2, 2013 at 10:23 pm

People do get too busy to plan a wedding. Trying to
    convince someone to go ahead and do wedding next year but between
    new job and exams, she’s thinking now is not the time. For those
    saying she called naija accent savage. Let’s all calm down. U know
    in your heart that’s nt what she meant

45. Bev

November 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm

*testing avatar*

• Nikki

November 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm

*testing avatar one more ‘gin*

46. Ndidi

November 2, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Toke lovely interview. Who is anyone to judge what his/her
    fellow human being does with their personal life? Are we all
    perfect ? Or do our shits now smell like Chanel no. 5 ? My thing
    is, as long as what she does is not harmful to her neighbor,
    environment or the person judging her, then it should not concern
    you. I am definitely a fan of honest criticism but ensure that you
    are doing so with good motives and not as a result of
    hate/jealousy. Toke keep working hard and sitting beautiful. Have a
    lovely evening my people!

47. Real

November 2, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Wow, all this essay for Toke… she’ll be honored for the
    amount of time you spent writing it… How lovely…. (if you
    haven’t already, i advice you to go into journalism..) 🙂

• Real

November 2, 2013 at 11:24 pm

above is a reply to: @busy Kwa?

• Busy kwa?

November 3, 2013 at 12:19 am

Nah. It took me all of 1 minute. Anything else you would
      like to know?

48. KokoDee

November 2, 2013 at 11:27 pm

What nonsense, what arrant assumptions you make Busy Kwa!
    Are you serious with this statement’ chimamanda is 100 times the
    person Toke is? How silly? on what basis ? that she’s written a few
    books? given a few speeches? did she cure cancer? or translate the
    bible? That aside, do you know Toke personally? Chimamanda
    personally? do you know the sum total or quality of their
    relationships with people they actually know? Nobody is 100 times
    better than anyone since we are each only going to die once… not
    a hundred times. As to whether or not she and her beau are too busy
    to plan their wedding art this time- what’s your business? what’s
    it to do with you? Why does it rub you so badly and did you use
    funke bucknor yourself? I wouldn’t pay the outrageous sums people
    pay to wedding planners so please keep your silly recommendations
    to yourself .What is the Toke type of wedding that she can’t
    afford?so judgmental And any one with two peas for brain knows that
    she never said Nigerians speak like savages… seriously, what do
    you expect her to sound like to please you? To say her ” so her
    parents sound like savages…” is rude and says more about you. Her
    knuckles are your problem- really? Get over your self and keep
    quiet if you have nothing positive to say. Get busy kwa?

• Busy kwa?

November 3, 2013 at 12:15 am

Do I really have to explain how Ms Adichie is times 100 the
      person that she is. Do I? A literary genius who is an original and
      has reached heights in the public eye and has stood her ground in
      the international community and still trays true to the Nigerian
      that she is. A woman who has helped to pave the way for African
      literature. She wouldn’t need to not sound like a savage because
      she is being interviewed by them. Yet voltron that you are thinks
      there is nothing wrong in that statement. “I was looking for a job
      in England, do you expect me to sound like a savage”. That is some
      screwed up shit right there. The problem with you voltrons is your
      limited capability to think. Any criticism must be hate. The only
      word in your dictionary is hate, hate, hate. There is no excusing
      that savage reference. If you had two peas in your brain and stop
      voltroning you will see that. Imagine if a White HR professional
      said that all Nigerians sound like savages. If you want a job in
      England you must adopt another manner of speaking tell me you won’t
      hit the roof. Please go and sit down jare. I hope you are being
      paid for the voltroning. Toke is allowed to insult all of us but
      she can’t get back a dish of her own food. Several seats please. Oh
      yes Funke Bucknor is an amazing wedding planner hence the
      recommendation. Since you can’t afford her fees (cough cough for
      outrageous sums) may I suggest you or Toke register for the 15mil
      win a wedding? She is on board as one of the suppliers. That will
      solve her problem you know. I can offer to register her and Maje
      you never can tell, they may just win. Busy my foot. She put that
      statement out there herself. It is my prerogative to call her liar
      liar weave on fire.

• Zeltern Fiornkan

November 3, 2013 at 9:58 am

@ Busy Kwa.
      Did Toke kill your father?
      Snatch your husband or bullied you when you were in high school?
      Nne, take several seats @ the F1 in Abu Dhabi.
      Go to confession, you need to make atonements!
      Abi kilode/
      mai yayi zafi haka?
      Wallahi fa!
      Adichie copied history in the Half Of A Yellow Sun inugo?
      There is nothing original about Ngozi Adichie
      Adichie this, adichie that?
      Leave Toke be!

• ao

November 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm

You must be out of your mind. Adichie “copied” history? So,
      she found a non-fiction book about Biafra in her local village
      library and plagiarized? I done.

• KokoDee

November 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Read carefully: No one is a 100 times better than any other
      human being. Your worldly, external achievements are not meant/
      guaranteed to get you into heaven. Ok? I think personally,a s a Phd
      & attorney, I have more than sufficient capacity to think
      and I know enough to say you are silly if you keep ranting about
      someone you do not know personally. You could be a savage if you
      think you are one so while I don’t know which “all of us” she
      insulted. It’s not your role to question how people choose to spend
      their own hard earned money or what they can afford. Do you even
      realise how petty you sound ? there’s a wedding promo going on?
      wow, how deep and insightful. Are you on funke’s staff or hay do
      you keep harping on? Why don’t you just give it break yourself.
      There are no voltrons on here, so gbo? Just people who wonder if
      you can say all this bile you are typing to Toke if you met her in
      person and how her relationship status affects you physically,
      psychologically or spiritually.

• Cross when crossed.

November 4, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Wow BN really does have some clout. PhD holders and lawyers have time to make several comments on a post.

• Jesseswife

November 3, 2013 at 1:06 pm

@BusyKwa, this is based on the comment you made earlier ( BN did you guys delete it?)…I am sure you have not achieved a quarter of what Chimamanda has, but based on your reasoning, it will be right to say Chimamanda is a 100x better than you? See ehn, at the end of the day we are all children and you are in no position to demoralize a human being and elevate another above her. Do you freaking think you are God? If faced with God right now, can you actually repeat everything you have uttered here to him? I am sure all you bitter people have gone to church today, raising “holy” hands, praying and crying to God for one favor or the other but then you come here to bully one of his creatures.

So what if she is too busy to plan a wedding? Is she the first person that has postponed her wedding? So what, if the real reason is because of limited resources? Should she go and steal ni? You are the same people that will insult her if you hear that she did a wedding and failed to pay some of her vendors. This girl just can’t get it right!! Damned if you do, damned if you don’t .

You all keep bringing up this bleaching thing. How many of you are really concerned about her the effect of bleaching on her health? You only all bring it up, because her supposedly bleached skin is an easy target for you. Not that bleaching is right, but in a society like ours, where light skinned girls are automatically labeled as beautiful, do you blame some people for bleaching. Instead of hurling insults at this girl, why don’t we as women start devising ways to show case the beauty of all skin tones. Maybe if we put heads together we can stop our daughters from having this mind set and falling into the same trap.

Also, many of you rock weaves. You sew hair that belong to people of other nationalities. You are all watching you tube videos and contouring your nose and making it look pointier etc, but does that make you insecure?
      The hate this girl receives is ridiculous, it is quite sickening and very disturbing. I don’t know how much insult one person can be subjected to. If you want to call her out on her bullshit, by all means ,feel free too, but do not do it with so much venom and let it be based on things that matter not the petty reasons you guys come up with.

• Bliss

November 3, 2013 at 12:45 am

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha…Koko Dee you just
      freaking made my day with the nobody dies a hundred times. lol. Btw
      now that we are on the subject, I had one of my friends indian
      american friends who happens to be a vivid Chimamda fan argue with
      me that Chimamanda is married. He showed me some articles on some
      really pretentious(always a good thing by the way when it comes to
      education and events 😉 ) and scholarly website confirming it. Is
      this true? When did this marriage take place that I know nothing
      about+ how come he doesn’t accompany her to events?

• Svetlana Ofonawire

November 3, 2013 at 10:00 am

Her husband is Dr Ivara Osagie, he’s biracial Nigerian/British/American.

• Bliss

November 3, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Oh yeah? Cool. Never knew. That’s awesome that she is happily married bcos if she wasn’t people would be like oh look where her feminist movement gra gra has landed her. Not she would care anyway.

• bNigerian

November 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Ivara Esege, not Osagie.

49. nene

November 3, 2013 at 12:28 am

You are so right!! real people can see through this
    babe

50. http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

November 3, 2013 at 12:55 am

Honestly I think the only reason people don’t like Toke is
    because of what happened with her an Linda Ikeji some time ago. I
    don’t know too much about Toke but she seems like a fun person. I
    wish women would find better ways to keep busy than staying at a
    spot and dragging each other down.
    africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

• nwanyi na aga aga

November 4, 2013 at 9:31 am

I agree with you…. The same thing spread to susan peters. People just started hating them for no cause..I dont know Toke but I follow her on twitter she sounds like an average naija girl.Even her videos are the opinion of a normal single lady..I am yet to place why ppl hate her but that Linda Ikeji situation keeps coming to my mind. On her accent a lot of naija peeps do enhance the way they speak so far the person communicates I believe that is their cup of tea. I am yet to see any OAP in this country that does not have an enhanced accent yet ppl do not hate on them. Anyway I think she has the balls and heart to stomach the hate.It has even made her popular.But I think ppl should really tone down on the criticisms. But then….

51. Bliss

November 3, 2013 at 12:56 am

In a weird way, whenever I get so much hate and anger
    directed towards me in my personal life, I know I am on to
    something. Toke had better keep at what she is doing. There’s no
    such thing as bad publicity. If everyday you look in the mirror and
    you are proud of who you are becoming, then everything else is
    secondary. When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside
    cannot hurt you.

52. Bling

November 3, 2013 at 1:31 am

1. We cant all be confident
    2. we cant all have perfect skin.
    3. We cant all like Toke
    4. We cant all have star weddings
    5. We cant all be truthful
    6. We cant all be kind…..
    I can go on and on. The simple truth is that nothing is new under the sun. Enjoy life and let others too.
    Chimamanda is God’s child n I can bet you that so is Toke, even that prostitute consumed by drugs n AIDS on the island is loved by GOD and that makes them all equal regardless of their earthly achievements.

Busy kwa, you might hv been spot on in your analysis but you were definitely spot on in your lack of consideration. See no.6. You are lacking in many things n so is Toke but just as you hv your strengths, so does she. This is Nigeria, everyone speaks with an accent…Yoruba, ibo, freed, colonized, borrowed from 1 wk trip to London, Dubai, America —even on the plane-borrowed from the air hostess on the way to Ghana accent.
    So wat?
    it doesn’t mean she is insecure. My accent in the office is different from the one I use at Amala white house in yaba (yelzzzz). I am not insecure I assure you.
    I don’t like weaves but must I kill or vilify those who don’t?

I don tire. Live n let live.

53. Oyinkan

November 3, 2013 at 1:54 am

I don’t dislike this lady but I do find her to be superficial and fake.

I’m not a fan of Nigerian women or black women in general investing so much of their time,money, and energy into being something they are not. You should not need an Indian woman’s hair and a fair-skinned woman’s complexion to feel good about yourself. Just be yourself. I also think her accent is fake and stupid. I wish Nigerians would stop associating foreign accents with being posh. There is such a thing as a posh Nigerian accent. I hear it all the time.

Last, I don’t believe she is too busy to plan a wedding. I think she just hasn’t found a man who wants to marry her.

She seems like a nice woman though. I hope she learns to walk in her truth. (Psalm 86:11)

54. Iphy

November 3, 2013 at 2:26 am

Not sure why people are trying to figure out her accent, she has no foreign accent. She studied English language and tries to speak fluently. And, her comment about “savage” shows that she truly wants to be polished.

55. Tolu

November 3, 2013 at 2:35 am

Tbh, busy kwa and others like you… There’s absolutely nothing wrong in training yourself and deciding you want to speak in a certain way. After a while, it just won’t be fake, cos duhh- u’ve gotten used to it. It’s all about interest and preference. Pale live abroad fr a zillion yrs, and can’t be bothered. Others travel for a week and decide they like the foreign accent and get to work! Really, like toke said (and I’m rephrasing), ” how is this your mission to save planet earth??”
    You need to see how our kids are taught to speak in Montessori schools these days. Hear them recite ‘a for apple’ and you’ll wonder if it’s same one you did severally years ago.
    Basically, let’s just all learn to live and love.. I’m sure toke’s doing a lot of this.. Life is too short to be taking panadol for other people’s headache. Unfortunately, I soo know that’s what I’m doing right now, but at least I don’t feel a teeny tiny bit bitter while at it. *tongue out *
    Yea maybe she likes to talk a lot, but hey, she knows too! Dts why she got a job being paid to do just that!!! Question to you: have you found your passion??? Are you making money from it??
    Funny thing is toke was my senior in sec sch, though our parts never crossed, and not even now.
    And guess what, she spoke soo we’ll back then too. Representing our school at L & d (aaaand winning I must add) so clearly she’s always known what she wanted.
    Ok I have to stop now. And I hope that I passed a msg or 2 across with these- not so few- points of mine! Ciao

• Worship and Swag

November 3, 2013 at 9:30 am

Lol @life is too short to be taking panadol for another person’s headache. I don’t know when we started subjecting others’ accents to intense scrutiny. I don’t have a problem with the way she speaks, lol 🙂

56. Oyinkan

November 3, 2013 at 2:36 am

Also, why do Nigerians like to bring up the fact that people of other cultures bleach? What does that have to do with us? Let them deal with their own inferiority complex on their own time and let us address our own. I am not Indian or Chinese, so I could care less what they do to their skin.

57. Nneks

November 3, 2013 at 2:53 am

I like Toke but I do nor agree with that her ‘ I went to England to look for a job do you want me to sound like a savage’ something similar…believe it or not the white man does not care as long as they can understand what you are sating and you have the brains and skill they want, you are good to go. That was not a nice statement toke and shows that you may have a complex……anyways wish you the best and keep dreaming…

58. ese

November 3, 2013 at 3:26 am

Busy kwa r u that less busy … I dare u tell toke thid one on one n also d rest of u haters …ntw u dnt type those in 1min so u lied jt like toke … I hv said I cant hatetoke especially cos u gets hate

59. aunty

November 3, 2013 at 3:50 am

DEEP!

60. Its TRUE!

November 3, 2013 at 4:01 am

Im sorry, dont mean to sound all bugee at all.. but when uve lived abroad 4 so long like some of us has, its kinda true, Nigerian accent does sound ‘savage’.. just saying.. Now eat me up! N pls how do u expect her 2 get across to a large diverse audience without an improved accent??? Alot of y’al need several sit! Just angry 4 no reason. She got paid 3million 4 lipton advert ?(that ws d only thing I heard in dat interview) and y’all r here hating while she’s cashing checks! Hmm.. dats d answer to all u haters right there! Success!

And No, Im NOT Toke, just a reasonable human being!

• Titi

November 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm

What is “Some of us has” ???? you on your part needs to
      learn to speak english properly before you start talking about
      savage accents. I have a Nigerian accent and live in the US and the
      thing I hear most is “where is your accent from, it’s nice”!. I
      dont know this Toke girl, but she comes across as a bush girl who
      is trying to be what she is not. Also has that isaleko babe look!
      But, to each his own!!!!!

• Girl Bye!

November 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm

So you’ve lived abroad for so long yet its only the “savage
      accent” you decided to work on and not your abysmal spelling abi?
      Please what is “bugee”? Do you mean “bourgeois”? Have several seats
      please; I’m even willing to stand so that you can have this seat
      you’re desperately in need of.

61. Its TRUE!

November 3, 2013 at 4:03 am

U need a seat too! Sit Down!!!

62. Funb

November 3, 2013 at 6:40 am

Just spent time reading ALL the comments! Yes I have that much time on my hands, and ‘In the overseas” you’re the only one who can’t understand the OAP; you deaf raccoon! Lol, you sha just wanted to comment! BN did great job of transcribing the important bits, you’re not a blind bat aswell are you!? Great interview! Toke seems to have her head screwed on, she knows exactly what she’s doing, wish her all the best.

• intheoverseas

November 4, 2013 at 5:03 am

Haha! Please leave me jare, it was a battle of the phoné from those two so “I just tired”. In all honesty I think its an overflogged topic Toke + bleach + phoné + xxxx. Nigerians in general are pretentious/fake so no use calling someone out because her “fakeness” is more than yours lol.

• intheoverseas

November 4, 2013 at 5:07 am

Also, if BN readers could understand the OAP and the OAP could understand Toke then why are BN readers calling Toke out?… abi the OAP has more claim to the “undone phoné”? Haha!

63. Yetunde

November 3, 2013 at 6:45 am

There’s more guys!! youtube.com/watch?v=m1DgUrFRtFg&list=UUecHeWfp05aliIs5ZrRzlVQ&index=3

64. bee

November 3, 2013 at 8:13 am

Toke is a human being just like any of us that comments on these media sites. Please be conscious and responsible about the kinds of things you say about another person, seeing as no one is perfect. If you are the kind of person that derives joy and satisfaction from seeing another person hurt and depressed, from the things you say to them, then you have more issues than you think, because the negativity you spew reflects your true character. Toke is a beautiful woman with an wonderful personality. Appreciate that about her. Trivial things like accents, bleaching are not what you should be focusing on. Keep your head up, Toke.

65. Tobenna

November 3, 2013 at 9:09 am

Busy kwa is so on Point Ohhhh…I think she needs to see Toke…
    but wait a minute…Bleaching and accent conditioning may just be a complex problem…just saying!

66. pynk

November 3, 2013 at 9:49 am

In someone’s words “almost all Nigerian women are bleaching” even the hafl caste ones!

67. Soprano Idonzafi

November 3, 2013 at 10:09 am

My My My!
    So much hate.
    People accumulating bile due to a person that does not even know they exist!
    I have read all the comments and i must say people are really shallow.
    I had a nose job because i was not fond of my African one.
    I had the nostrils reduced, the tip elevated and so on.
    Its a personal thing, why are people so angry?
    Let the girl be!
    What all of you are doing here is bullying, trolling et al.
    Its extremely unfair for you to spew so much hate.
    Why? God has a lot of things to judge!
    Due to social media, i am certain that new sins have been introduced to the judgement curricula of heaven!
    People who hate so much are usually sad, lonely, depressed people with nothing better to do. Go drink some tea and read a book, it helps or listen to Enya while jumping up and down like a slutty raccoon!

68. Tolu

November 3, 2013 at 10:26 am

The “I hate her cos everybody hates her” bug has bitten busy kwa… Reeeaaaal deep I must add.
    Hehehe

69. Atolani Ibrahim

November 3, 2013 at 10:57 am

Toke Makinwa my role model go girl you rock!

70. ec

November 3, 2013 at 11:12 am

99% of nigerian females old and young use a toning soap.
    The lord saw it all when he sd remove the log from ur eyes b4 u
    remove the spec from ur brothers eye. All of u haters go in ur
    bathroom now and swear u dont hv a fair and white soap,papaya soap
    or toning soap. None of u use premiere or lux or joy or dettol
    soaps.i dare u to say u do.God forbid u told urslf the truth.is it
    toke that is making nigeria the no 1 bleaching african nation? Na
    she de buy all d toning soap for west africa abi.bloody
    hypocrites

• yesmina

November 4, 2013 at 6:43 am

I use Dudu osun. My mother uses lux. my sister uses Johnsons baby soap. so please before you come up with 99% do some research.

• yesmina

November 4, 2013 at 6:43 am

71. Rhoda

November 3, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Wish you all the best dear Toke!

72. ennn

November 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Abeg I digress, Where can someone buy this beautiful coral
    beads. I see them on a lot of people and I would like some. Please
    reply if you know!

73. ennn

November 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Abeg I digress, where can someone get these beautiful coral
    beads?

74. Vivian

November 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Busy kwa, No one is a hundred times better than another
    human being…life is not a race to be won. The only person you are
    in a competition with is yourself. That being said, everyone has
    their priorities. And YES!!! There are some jobs here in the US and
    in the UK that require u modify ur accent. Especially jobs that
    require a lot of public speaking or customer service. The white
    people will struggle to hear you if you give a presentation with a
    nigerian accent and you ll have to repeat ur self most times cos
    they won’t understand you the first time. If she wants to bleach,
    will God hold u accountable? It’s her body, her life. If she lied
    about being engaged, is that the first lie to be told by a nigerian
    celebrity or politician? If she decides to postpone her wedding cos
    she wants to plan it herself, how is that a problem? Please park
    well and stop comparing two people made in the same image of
    God.

• Kaybee

November 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Thanks jare! As a professional who migrated to the US years ago, I had a hard time with Americans saying ‘ I beg your pardon’, ‘whaat?’, ‘could you say that again, please?’. To communicate, I had to adjust the way I spoke the English language. Now I drawl a bit, speak more slowly and they tell me, you have such a pretty accent, where are you from. The whole exercise was not to sound American, it was for clear communication. I’m still obviously a naija babe and I revert back to my ‘I yam what I yam’ at home with my husband, friends etc. it’s Toke’s choice to speak anyhow she wants. Obviously her employers looove her accent.

75. veevee

November 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm

See the way you guys are just foolishly insulting busy kwa.
    She only said the plain truth and em voltrons just rushed to the
    rescue without thinking. Its clear to see that this girl is fake,
    and yet we still like her and all she brings but to utter the word
    savage as regards to our african accent? Cmon! Lets be reasonable
    here. That is not ok! Plus no one is ever busy to plan their
    wedding. No one at all. You can’t be so busy please. Anything else
    in that interview is purely toke so no surprise here. Its just
    amazing to see people defend her despite her unintelligent
    utterances. But hey what do i know yh? I heard she pays some of
    yall to comment or better still, gets her staff to do it.
    Whatevs

76. oyin

November 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Toke is equivalent to Kim kardashian. A wannabe celebrity who is thirsty for attention and will do what it takes to get cheap publicity. She’s a liar, manipulator and really there’s nothing to hate about. The word hater and jealousy is the most overused, annoyingly out of context word. Her critics are simply calling her BS out, not everyone kisses ass. Toke, desperately want to be married, so act like you are surprise and too busy now. You know u’ve been nagging him. Now, bleaching is done all over the world, got it. Popularity doesn’t make it right. And, turning from dark/brown to white/pale is straight up bleaching. You look whiter than the white people themselves, its crazy. Women enhance their beauty as they get older and as technology gets better. However, let’s not mix everything together and call what is what it is. Toning is differing from bleaching. For example, if someone has dark knees and finds smth to blend it to match with the rest of her body. Now, if u take skin whitening injection or pills then that’s an aim to have smth opposite of ur natural skin color. Toke will always remain annoying but she will the fame she wants until her 15minz will be up.

77. bee

November 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Thank God I am not a media freak so I don’t even know who this chic is. But I don’t understand thehate hate or love love.she looks like any other oyinbo pepper that u can see in City people it Yoruba owambe party.as for the accentm let it be know to you that u don’t ve to speak like an iyinbo to be heard or understood anywhere in d world. Ask Kofi annan, okonjo iweala ,woleee soyinka,Chinua Achebe, and d plethora of Africans who understand that it is about being. True to who you are. People go and rest, there are a lot of irrelevant people in the media today, don’t let them affect you. People come and people go. Focus on what is relevant,e.g how u go take hammer. #yimu#no time for chit

78. Wale

November 3, 2013 at 4:33 pm

No, she is not beautiful, if she had her original dark complexion she might have been a little attractive, there is a reason our maker made us with certain physiological qualities. She now looks older than her age and used up.
    Wow-one learns a lot from these comments…she USED TO BE Maje’s side kick or jump off as they are now called. If she is not from the right family, I doubt he will marry her. Knowing her, if they were really engaged trust me she would have been all over the place proudly showing off the ring, dark knuckle or not, we know she loves attention. Toke has a complex and wants to be accepted in the social circle she really doesn’t belong. OR it could just be the ring was just too small. Anyway, she needs to mellow a bit, the circle she wants to marry into typically don’t fancy this type of glaring attention. Poor Toke she is fast becoming our very own Kim. From – to ???

79. Funkebucknor Obruthe

November 3, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Toke my darling……..

80. Ibukun

November 3, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Toke done did it again! over a hundred comments as usual, she is on fire! and what’s with all the chimamanda adiche talk anyway, I can’t even say the woman is a better writer than some of the people who comment here on BN, luckily for her, she’s gotten worldwide acclaim, good for her! but please why/how did she become the yardstick/standard for determining how an educated Nigerian should speak? why will i want to sound like her? …i don’t get. infact if many of toke’s haters hear my YorubaHausaSouthernAmericanBristish accent, they will probably pour me acid; but you see it’s my prerogative to speak however i want to speak. the low self esteem talk is the shallowest thing i have heard in awhile, and as for the bleaching issue…egbami, even funbact A makes the skin lighter fa. *sigh* Happy Birthday Toke Makinwa, may God deliver you from the enemies of your progress.

81. Edmond-Joe

November 3, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Toke..engaged,period..walk down the Isle mi lady..Haters gonna still hate..End of story

82. MyView

November 3, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Wow wow wow!!! The amount of names I have never seen on Bella and I have been with BN since her blogging days. IP changes on three separate devices. Toke chill out!!! Toke relax, calm the h3ll down, Danmmmm

83. meldibson

November 3, 2013 at 7:42 pm

WHen Black people! African people will stop focusing on
    each other accent, skin tone before/during/after, weave/natural
    hair, makeup/no make up, they would be able to focus on more
    important things like education, health, developping their
    country’s economy, helping each other to progress… we are far
    from there…

• Oyinkan

November 4, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Well those things are related to one another. When you think very little of yourself physically, that manifests mentally and emotionally. It is because Africans think so little of themselves and their communities that they do not find them worthy of building up in the first place. Do not overlook physical insecurities to be superficial. They are a reflection of what is in the inside.

84. Honest opinion

November 3, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Wow……toke you are loved…see comments #toughlove
    Keep doing big things

85. Honest opinion

November 3, 2013 at 9:59 pm

One more thing, toke has been fair from secondary school so people REST!!!

86. feango

November 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

Lol! People crack me up regularly on BN. At least the grammar used here in dissecting people- appearance, views, talents & comments is of a higher quality than that on LIB. Gbam!

87. Zelda

November 4, 2013 at 10:27 am

@Lola, petite pple hate on her?y

• corolla

November 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I think she meant “petty”

88. Tokunbo

November 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm

She goes to the UK for a year then comes back with an
    accent no one can place? who is the savage. Issorait Toke rangers
    you people can kill tell this babe the truth for her own
    good.

89. forbisi

November 4, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Leah, I love u! u spoke 100% truth in every sentence. all u
    said her is what I wud hav said, but dint bother to comment cos BN
    dosnt post my toke comments.

90. corolla

November 4, 2013 at 2:18 pm

when Annie Idibia did that radio interview, they abused her
    for sounding razz. Niue they are insulting Toke for speaking fone.
    since most of you think this is constructive criticism,i
    pr

91. corolla

November 4, 2013 at 2:23 pm

When Annie Idibia did that radio interview, she was insulted for having a local accent and sounding razz.now Toke is being bullied for speaking fone.Oma ga o! Since some of you think this is constructive criticism, I pray you all receive this kind of “constructive criticism”..amen

92. Tokunbo

November 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm

you go to the UK for a year and come back with an accent no one can place? who is the savage? as for not having time to plan your wedding babes tell us another lie my own don’t waste your time, if he’s not game move on o you are not young don’t let your skin fool you.

93. Omo1

November 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I don’t care about anything else she has said in the interview, she can bleach her life out that’s her business..but faking accent cos you are an English student??!! how dumb is that response..sounding savage has got nothing to do with this please. Honestly I listen to other on air personalities and they sound so convenient in whatever way they choose to speak..but when ever I listen to Toke, it just sounds so not it!

Toke isn’t the only public/on air personality..it should give her something to think about on why she’s always been picked on..like some people said here, she takes pleasure in yabbing people so why should she be entirely free from some criticism?

94. Omo1

November 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Don’t care about anything else she has said in the interview, she can bleach her life out that’s her business..but faking accent cos you are an English student??!! how dumb is that response..sounding savage has got nothing to do with this please. Honestly I listen to other on air personalities and they sound so convenient in whatever way they choose to speak..but when ever I listen to Toke, it just sounds so not it!

95. Omo1

November 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm

96. Dora the explorer

November 4, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Award winning page!! excellent!!!

97. GirlOnTop :D

November 5, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I like Toke. She’s just doing her thing which is what a lot of people are not bold enough to do. Haters will always hate. #YouGoGirl

98. To

November 6, 2013 at 4:50 am

Wow toke is doing something right!!!! Please let’s all
    accept the fact that she has a personality!!! You either love it or
    hate it!!!

99. wiklo

November 7, 2013 at 1:33 am

Ain’t nothing wrong with her spoken english from the
    interview i just saw….if u never had ur early years in England or
    the States, ur accent would still have that variation and the
    “native” would always know ur originally from somewhere else…the
    interviewer was equally going in and out of accents…bottomline:
    yankee babes love our accent o!!

100. Yetunde

November 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm

why does she open all her mouth while talking tho.. Ugh! so irritating

101. enkay

November 13, 2013 at 7:19 am

Closing Argument: Thought I’d add some colour to the rhetoric on this page
    ( According to Merriam-Webster online)

1savage adjective
    Definition of SAVAGE
    a : not domesticated or under human control : untamed
    b : lacking the restraints normal to civilized human beings : fierce, ferocious
    : wild, uncultivated
    a : boorish, rude
    b : malicious
    : lacking complex or advanced culture : uncivilized

2savage noun
    Definition of SAVAGE

: a person belonging to a primitive society
    : a brutal person
    : a rude or unmannerly person

102. Jirla

November 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Hmm…na wa o! if only we could channel some of this venom and energy into getting our leaders to lead us right…then we could really get somewhere.
    Toke …Congratulations on your engagement I wish you a wonderful married life ! xoxo

• @1bougiechick

November 26, 2013 at 2:25 am

Best comment on this thread!

103. Crown

November 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

If the worlds doesnt beef/hate on you, then u r not world’s best

104. Crown

November 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm

*world* before they will turn their hate on me

105. Leye

December 16, 2013 at 2:51 am

I honestly thought she had lived in NY for a while. Hian Naija girls sabi the accent forming sha

106. Me