Events

Support Autism Awareness in Nigeria at the “Autism Awareness Campaign Short Film” event in Lagos | Sunday 8th December 2013

BellaNaija.com

Autism Awareness Campaign Series - BellaNaija - November 2013

In line with advancing an awareness campaign for Autism in Nigeria, Pure Souls Learning Foundation and Derwin Productions in collaboration with Patrick Speech and Languages Centre have created a short film to raise awareness of Autism.

This “Autism Awareness Campaign Short Film” Stars Akpororo, Omoye Uzamere (Brownie), Danielle Oboba & Anietie Enime. It was directed by Doyin Akinlade and produced by Dotun Akande & Grace Edwin-Okon.

The launch of the film will take place at the “Talent in Autism Show“; a yearly event aimed at showcasing the gifts and the hidden talents in the children, as well as adults living with Autism in Nigeria. After the launch, the short film will then be launched online.

Check out the trailer below.

Show support for the Autistic in Nigeria by showing up.

Date: Friday 8th December 2013
Time: 3PM
Venue: The Incubator, 7/8 COD Church Road, Lekki Peninsular, Lagos.
Sponsored Content

1. Efe Kunbi

November 29, 2013 at 6:44 pm

It is great to see such effort by Nigerians trying to bring Autism awareness into Nigeria but I must say it is still a very far cry and lots still needs to be done to support children and adults living with the condition in Nigeria. As a mother of two children with autism, I can clearly say that the wider society in Nigeria have got a lot to do to enhance and provide a good quality of life to people living with Autism. It is a very long struggle even here in the United Kingdom where I reside with my children but there is a light at the end of the tunnel with the right support and attitude towards the condition. In the United Kingdom in present times you still find a lot of ethnic minority still struggling to deal with the acceptance of the condition and accepting the right support for their children. You will be surprised to know that there is still a very high percentage of people still believing that autism can only be a demonic condition and seeking miracle workers to cure their children of this condition. We are talking about intellectual people living in a society where the support is readily available, can you then imagine what an average parent having an autistic child in Nigeria is going through? The cost of the services that are needed to support children living with autism is staggering and even though the support is available to us in the United Kingdom, I can’t say the same with parents dealing with the same condition in Nigeria. Only the affluent people in Nigeria would be able to afford the cost of the right support for their children require and my heart goes out to the millions of struggling families and average income families who probably do not have the finances to follow through a structured programme and support for their children. The financial aspect of dealing with the condition is just one tiny fragment of the whole picture. How do they deal with the emotional turmoil that they have to go through for the rest of their lives. A society who still feels that autism can only be a condition associated with witchcrafts and demonic powers. So yes, an awareness is much over due and I hope that some support would be available to every child and adult living with the condition because it is not easy and I say that because after almost three years of my children being diagnosed with the condition, I can truly see an amazing and remarkable improvement in their lives. The right support is being given to them and just to watch them read so fluently and excel so much in their academics is a dream come true for me and my family. I wouldn’t be sitting here and enjoying their great achievement if I had decided to bring them home to Nigeria. I knew the right support was in place for them and even though everyone can’t be as lucky as I am, I can assure you that working closely and engaging an autistic child with activities that would stimulate their minds and social skills is one key step in optimising an opportunity of living a fulfilled and independent life. I am recently setting up a parent support group for ethnic minority in my community with the support of my local council and my charity ( National Autistic Society in the United Kingdom) and I would hope that one day such an opportunity would arise when such support groups would be available to Nigerian living in Nigeria. I can be contacted on [email protected]

• Uwa

November 30, 2013 at 3:57 am

Just sent you an Email

2. nana

November 29, 2013 at 9:18 pm

whoop whoop. go uncle doyin

3. June

November 30, 2013 at 2:58 am

This is absolutely not the way autistic kids behave. if you want to make the public aware of what autism is, then the way the little girl is being asked to portray an autistic child is absolutely wrong. They don’t act like they are possessed. Please do your erase arch first before you release false information to the public. Autism simply means that a child is developmentally delayed in some areas, non-verbal, not social, and tend to repeat behaviors or words. Please go to autism speaks.org for more real information on autism. These kids should be portrayed as kids that are capable of doing and behaving the same way as typical kids if given early intervention/therapy. This is a false portrayal of autistic kids and I’m disgusted by this.

You want to release a short film to make the public aware then DO YOUR FREAKING HOMEWORK!!! Better not to do a movie than to do one that gives false information BLOOP!!!

• Genie

December 3, 2013 at 10:50 am

@june…From all indications your outburst is like that of someone who is hell bent on destroying or rubbishing other people’s effort. If you had done your own HOMEWORK well you would have known that there is no clearly defined behavioral pattern for children (or adults) with autism, though there are some common signs and symptoms. All you have done is display your ignorance by criticizing without offering any meaningful contributions. If you knew so much what efforts have you made to share the knowledge that you have before now? How many other children with autism, apart from your own have you encountered, that makes u speak in so uncouth a manner? If you had worked closely with people with autism, you’ll know it’s not a “one size fits all” affair just as “Beaubelle” has said. Someone somewhere is trying to make a difference by creating the much needed awareness, rather than lend a hand by offering your own suggestions based on your experience if any, you resort to destructive criticism. Who says you cannot disagree to agree or offer your own perspective as long as it is done in a manner that is civil and decent? After all the whole idea is to get people better informed!

4. Mooji

November 30, 2013 at 5:54 am

Omoye Uzams the Actor!! Brownie, the OAP! We’re waiting on the best of you. Keep shining God’s light girl. Your talent is real and your personality is genuine.

5. breezy

November 30, 2013 at 6:26 am

@june… for someone who is supposedly know about Autism, you really don’t know the basic thing about Autism, which is that Autistic characteristic manifestation is unique with different individual. It would be better if you had encouraging constructive criticism to people who are trying to make a difference and not just bashing them.

6. sylvia omoshehin

November 30, 2013 at 7:08 am

As a mother living with a child with autism. I fully understand the challenges faced both by parents n the child. It makes me glad to see we are making efforts to raise awareness of this condition and curb discrimination for persons living with autism. God bless you for this.

7. dami

November 30, 2013 at 11:34 am

She wasn’t behaving like someone who is possessed in my opinion, she actually did a good job and autism like any other learning disability is different from each other

8. Jay

November 30, 2013 at 12:27 pm

@breezy Exactly what I was going to answer June … , have ever been personally in contact with an autistic child before or even watched foreign movies about autism? @june please don’t give an opinion about what you yourself is ignorant about….

9. June

November 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I happen to have a 4yr old son on the spectrum for all who think I’ don’t know what I’m talking about. Yes it varies based on the child and what part of the spectrum the child is on but all the characteristics I listed above are common for all kids on the spectrum. Kids on the spectrum are developmentally delayed not that they enter a room acting that way. They don’t like to give eye contact, they like to be on their own, some have seizures while some do not. If you are going to make people aware of what it is then come with the common facts and symptoms that parent should watch out for. I never comment on blogs but this topic is very personal to me and I’m very passionate about it.

• Uwa

December 1, 2013 at 6:12 am

i agree 100%

• Ani Gurl

December 2, 2013 at 1:04 am

@June: Regardless of the common traits that you may know or be aware of, there are still varying characteristics and behavioral manifestations that children on the spectrum (especially autism) have.
      While you may be used to only certain manifestations, it is completely not polite or wrong to conclude that research was not done before the movie was shot. If you read the information above, the producer of the movie actually runs a school for kids living with Autism; can you possibly encounter more children/manifestations/behavioral patterns than her?
      It is alright to make your constructive criticism but please choose your words and be sure of your facts before you go public.
      And by the way, you are wrong when you say they do not behave like they are possessed because YES some kids living with autism do behave like they are possessed much as not all of them behave like that. I also happen to work with them so I should also know…

10. Israel

November 30, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Oga “Autism Awareness”, I salute you.

Thank you for trying to create awareness about this developmental disorder.

Nevertheless, I have watched the trailer in its entirety repeatedly and as a person with multiple relatives diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), I can speak with complete confidence that none of the behavioral and social characteristics portrayed in this short film has anything to do with Autism.

Your message has been completely drowned in the false and excessive dramatization executed by the characters in the video.

You should have done your research before releasing this video.

As an illustrative example, it is analogous to labeling someone displaying symptoms of respiratory disorders such as Asthma with a false diagnosis of Diarrhea.

It is completely unrelated. Period.

The little girl in the video demonstrates symptoms associated with epileptic disorders or Tourette syndrome with is not related to or caused by Autism.

If your original intention is truly about raising Autism awareness, I seriously plead with you to do more research and edit this video before releasing it.

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and verbal and non-verbal communication, and by restricted, repetitive or stereotyped behavior.

There are 3 primary characteristics used to diagnose children with ASD.

(1) Impaired social interaction (lack of social skills)
    (2) Non-verbal communication (inability to communicate verbally effectively)
    (3) Repetitive or stereotyped behavior.

Here is a quick video that would educate everyone on Austim Spectrum Disorder (ASD)

youtube.com/watch?v=YtvP5A5OHpU

I would like to reiterate that the little girl in the video demonstrates symptoms associated with epileptic disorders or Tourette syndrome with is not related to or caused by Autism.

The video seems to stigmatize kids with Autism and has a greater tendency of making parents want to hide their kids’ developmental disorders due to shame.

I agree with June and I don’t believe that your portrayal of the symptoms of Autistic disorders in this video are accurate.

For anyone interested in truly learning more about ASD should checkout AutismSpeaks.org

Knowledge is power.

Thank you.

11. Vicky

December 1, 2013 at 9:18 pm

June I agree with you ,I don’t have an autistic child but I teach one in my Sunday sch.class,he doesn’t make eye contact,doesn’t like it when we sing loudly,recently he’s started inflicting wounds and scratches himself till it bleeds,that one I don’t understand.

12. Efe Kunbi

December 2, 2013 at 1:21 am

To all the vibrant and powerful women, mothers and care givers of young children and adults living with autism, you have all truly spoken so passionately about this topic and its great to see so many powerful messages being sent across. However, I will say this, the pathway through supporting anyone especially a loved child or children with autism is very difficult and some times takes the whole life out of you caring for any one within the spectrum. So please do not turn on each other, rather support each other. Autism awareness starts from everyone who is in one way or the other effected by the condition. If you do have a loved one who is effected by it, why not start your very own awareness from within your family, your neighbourhood and your community. you will be surprise at how many people we have out there that are still very ignorant to autism. We need more people out there being educated about the amazing progress that children and young people within the spectrum can make and encourage support for their lives and that of their family which can not be easy at all. We don’t need a medium to come up so we can jump up and be at each other’s throat because we have more than enough on our plates right now and collectively our powerful words can cause awareness to those around us but at the same time, it can truly divide us on what we all passionately believe in. If you do have a child or children within the spectrum you will feel some of the pains and hurt that some of these women are pouring out here and they may not have gone about it completely the right way but sometimes information just comes out the exact way you feel about them and even though they may not sound absolutely right in everyone’s ears, just please take a step back and feel the pain that the person writing such a message may be going through and feel the urge to encourage them rather than to attack with bitter words of resentment. Caring for a child or children with autism presents very staggering difficulties and I know it cannot be easy because I too like so many mothers out there face the same difficulties but its always very reassuring when we read something positive about autism. Remain Blessed

13. Beaubelle

December 2, 2013 at 5:06 pm

From most of the comments above – it appears it’s about knowing more than the other which is confusing to me. I thought this should be about creating an awareness.

It could be that it’s not a one-size fit approach. Rather than criticising each other, would n’t it be better to share your different experiences and pool ideas together to help the cause?

This was just the trailer so I think it’s to early to judge. Besides even if a “correct demonstration” was not portrayed, this can be pointed out constructively.

I think by castigating each other – we are forgetting the cause – which is to create an awareness and help enlighten people who are just as curious to learn more to help /support children and families impacted.

14. Beaubelle

December 2, 2013 at 5:07 pm

*one- size firs all approach

15. Beaubelle

December 2, 2013 at 5:08 pm

*fits – ha, I can neither type nor spell – it seems 🙂

16. tuns

December 3, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hello good people, i can see we are all passionate about this issue. I will like to point out some things i noticed .

This is the “behind the scenes ” not the the short film itself, you should wait for the short film before drawing grave conclusions about the actions of the little girl.
    Also, The people who spent their time and hard earned money to put an awareness production should be supported and not condemned . If anyone feels they did rubbish, then they should do their own and make it open for criticism.
    @ June, you said you know a lot about children with autism, yet you referred to them as ‘autistic kids’. I guess your ignorance is appalling in that wise. According to a professional in this field who i had the opportunity to meet, you are not supposed to call them ‘autistic kids’, it is a a derogatory way to address them. The proper way is to refer to them as “children with autism’

Moreover, I am surprised that some people did not see the video clearly or probably had issues hearing some of the conversations in the video. According to what i saw and heard, a woman who is a professional in that field and even manages a school that deals with these children was telling the child what to do and also explaining some things to the actors. Just like breezy said, these characteristics may vary from child to child, i don’t think there is a definite way children with autism behave. So, Someone who has to relate with different children from varying backgrounds would actually be able to say more about them than a mother who only has her children to look out for.
    People should take time to criticize constructively instead of displaying their ignorance in public, at least the producer has made an effort, if anyone claims to know better, they should go ahead and produce their own and stop bashing someone else who is making an effort. the more awareness we have, the better it is for the children living with autism.

17. PureSouls

December 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your comment concerning the behind the scene of ‘MAID’, the full version will be online as soon as it’s lunched during Talent in Autism show on the 8th December 2013.
    From the various comment, the issue raised was on how individuals living with autism should be portrayed. But the truth here is that they are all unique. Everyone on the spectrum does not have the same symptoms. Some of the children on the spectrum possess socials skills, and this is one of the skills people generally believed they lack.
    We have been committed to giving hope to individuals living with Autism for over seven years. Some of our children have been integrated to regular school as well. We have worked on several videos that talk more on Autism Awareness in Nigeria. Here are the names and links to the videos on our youtube channels; Emere(youtube.com/watch?v=dKs4-GUQJCE), Silver Lining(youtube.com/watch?v=ZKFbzNb_Mao) and Talent in Autism concert.
    Producing an infomercial such as ‘MAID’ was very tasking; because it will air on the internet we had to compress it to 3 and 7mins. Knowing what autism is, compressing it was a challenging task. This is one out of the twelve episodes we are hoping to work on if we get appropriate sponsors on time. We have seen from the comment that we all have different views on how someone living with Autism should be portrayed, so we would appreciate it if we can come together to work on the subsequent episodes.
    You can visit us at PATRICK SPEECH AND LANGUAGES CENTRE
    13b Remi Fani Kayode Street, GRA, Ikeja-Lagos
    puresoulslf.org our twitter handle @puresoulslf
    Or [email protected]. We would also appreciate it if you can like our facebook page (facebook.com/pages/Pure-Souls-Learning-Foundation/465941453492864), this will enable us to collectively raise support for individuals living with Autism.

18. Moses Kalili

December 5, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Its quite encouraging to see the efforts been made by Nigerians in support of fellow Nigerians living with Autism. Although I’ve never been to Patrick Speech & Language Center, I’ve read a few write ups about their efforts, and I think they’re doing a very great job. I’ve always been interested in learning about autism and related disabilities, and recently I met this wonderful young woman in Abuja who works with children on the autism spectrum as well as a wider variety of special needs. She goes beyond mere therapy and actually provides special education programming. I’m currently receiving a short training by her organization. I think everyone in the Nigerian autism/special needs community should know about her. Her approach to special education is amazing; in the last 3 months I’ve seen some beautiful transformation in the life of an autistic/speech delayed child under her care. Please note that she didn’t ask me to write this, but I think everyone needs to know about her. Here’s a link to her website: cacademy.sch.ng

19. PureSouls

December 10, 2013 at 10:40 am

Have you ever been misunderstood, abused or even threatened with death? That is what children with AUTISM, especially those in the rural areas go through. Please click on the link below & watch this short infomercial clip “The Maid”, you just might learn a thing or two. Starring Akpororo, Omoye Uzamere, Daniella Oboba & Anietie Enime. Directed by Doyin Akinlade, Produced by Dotun Akande & Grace Edwin-Okon. Pls help pass it on, as a child’s life & well being might just be dependent on your doing so. Thank you. youtube.com/watch?v=ITdvHKzuuC8&feature=youtu.be