News

Lydia Forson Rescues a 12 Year Old Boy from Child Labour in Ghana

BellaNaija.com

Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 023

Lydia to the rescue!

Ghanaian actress Lydia Forson has facilitated the rescue of a 12 year old boy who was forced into child labour at Gasoekope, a village surrounded by water in the Volta Region in Ghana.

The boy who says his name is Emmanuel was taken from his mother at Temar near Accra to the Volta Region where he as well as other children from other parts of Ghana, were forced into child labour.

When he could no longer take the “horrible treatment”, he escaped the village with the aim of finding his way back home. Unfortunately because the whole area is surrounded by water, he couldn’t escape completely.

The “Phone Swap” actress met Emmanuel when she visited the Volta Region for an outreach programme to rescue children trafficked to the area. He was wandering on the river banks.

Emmanuel is set to reunite with his mother.

Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 045

Lydia Forson & Emmanuel

Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 030Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 028Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 029Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 021Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 022Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 027Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 024Lydia Forson Rescues 12 Year Old Boy in Ghana - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 025

Read Lydia’s account of the incident;
“Our boat was the only available boat. He was afraid to tell us he was running away so he lied that he wanted a lift to the neighbouring village. He didn’t know who we were and we saw he was afraid because he was lost and didn’t want to say it.

We took him with us and in the boat we questioned him. When we were far from the village he finally opened up a little. When we got to Kpando, he tried to escape from us, so he started panicking and wouldn’t talk.

But we spoke to his master, reported it to the police and social welfare and took him with us. He finally started relaxing by the third day when he saw we were leaving Kpando. All he kept saying was he didn’t want to work on the water and he wanted his mum.”

She said the boy is currently at the Osu Children’s Home in Accra undergoing a process to reunite him with his mother.

On their plans to rescue children: “This year, our vision is to rescue 20 children who have been sold or trafficked to be used for labour. The plan is to visit the villages, talk to the chiefs and ‘owners’ of these children to convince them to release the children. We have to make three visits per village and after that when we get the children we reunite them with their parents, and where the parents can’t take care of them we support the families. And also try to find for the fishermen alternative methods to fishing that won’t require them using children in this dangerous water.”

1. omonaija

February 5, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Proud, proud, proud of you Lydia; a job well done and may the Lord stregthen you and bless you as you take on this cause

2. 5'5

February 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm

well done lydia. Slavery even after we have been set ‘free’

• Iyke

February 5, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Slavery is worse among ourselves in Nigeria…all the Ekaetee washing madam’s clothes….na slavery….all the Kabiru driving oga to work everyday, na slavery…all the bisola,ifeoma, hadiza stuck in abusive relationships, na also slavery…even ‘The Oga at the top’ syndrom, na slavery….We are all slaves in our own land.

• Diuto

February 6, 2014 at 7:30 am

The thing is the househelps, drivers etc are paid and actually seek for this employment. They re also free to leave whenever they feel like. There are some that are forced which is totally different though…………….Diuto

• Thelma

February 6, 2014 at 5:27 pm

@lyke , please no one sells this house helps with chains on their necks to wash clothes, they come by themselves looking for employment. and the drivers and maids are paid.

My Uncle’s maid actually is much happier than she was in the village, she goes to school, gets clothes and shoes for jand when they are around, she even enjoys watching cartoons with the kids in the livingroom. she is eventually part of the family and her mother is happy with my aunt and uncle. and when she wants to go for holidays to the village ,she is free to go with extra goodies for a family.

so you should check your points before talking like a bush person.

• Energybill

February 6, 2014 at 6:24 pm

@ Thelma, for every good employer who is like your uncle, there are hundreds if not thousands that are bad employers. Everyone is not like your uncle. You have stories of house-helps who for one reason or the other the person responsible for them comes to take them away. Then one morning you just find them back on your doorstep. Ask them what they are doing back at yours and they tell you they were either trying to be forced into marriage or the new employer they were taken to was horrible. So what Iyke said is true and many more.

3. Obi

February 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Heartbreaking that in this day and age, children are still being trafficked for such things. I love the approach taken; not only take the kids, but offer alternative fishing methods (which might yield even higher output). Hence, eliminating the need for the kids and at the same time keeping the fishing industry going. I’m praying it works really well Lydia. God bless you.

4. Austino Da Whizchap

February 5, 2014 at 5:14 pm

God Bless Her Real Good!

5. mouth mouth

February 5, 2014 at 5:17 pm

U have done well. I hope to adopt the child myself . After all I need 1

6. Bee

February 5, 2014 at 5:19 pm

God bless you

7. nene

February 5, 2014 at 6:23 pm

love love lydia forson!!!

8. Aibee

February 5, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Well done Lydia. God bless you and may your efforts to save more children be fruitful.

9. TA

February 5, 2014 at 6:58 pm

God bless you Lydia.
    Stories like this are heartbreaking. ..#off to read a lighter post.

10. Nelo

February 5, 2014 at 7:01 pm

wats up with her hair though, it looks so rough and unkempt

• CarliforniaBawlar: chaneling her inner Iyke

February 5, 2014 at 7:53 pm

wow!! Blatant displays of the human cerebrum mimicking inept activities similar to that of a fish has become more common over time, even more so as the internet has become accessible to all and sundry.

• word

February 5, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Oh carliforniabawler, u no go kill me! @ Nelo, its unfortunate sha…so dis is all ur brain could produce after going through this post…o ma se o!

• you see your life?

February 5, 2014 at 8:39 pm

for you to talk about the important issue here you open ur dirty mouth to talk about how she looks.how does that even change your life sef?

• Laide

February 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Funny enough, I also noticed this, but I knew if I had earlier commented on it, some people who only focus on ‘very important things’ would come and yab me. So join me in overlooking that hair and appreciating the good she did.

• Ada Nnewi

February 6, 2014 at 12:55 pm

You said exactly what I was thinking..lol.. Anyways Well done Lydia!

11. Charis

February 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm

@ iyke your soo right! Unfortunately many Nigerians do not see those as slavery. But the question is can it be avoided? Is it possible for helps not to be needed or wanted?.. In conclusion I still think its still a form of slavery

12. missme

February 5, 2014 at 10:40 pm

there’s a movie on youtube about this story. you guys should check it out. youtube.com/watch?v=bphAMdULv9w

13. Mz Socially Awkward...

February 6, 2014 at 12:14 am

I’m heartbroken every time I hear of children’s futures being stolen away from them (always imagining to myself, “what if that had been me and I was never given the opportunity to grow up like a child should?”. Linda, God bless you indeed.

14. Banti

February 6, 2014 at 12:53 am

@ Iyke,i agree and disagree with you.If parents can’t afford enough money to take care of their kids and send them off to do nanny or drive,it okay provided they are been taken care of and they are in school.There is nothing bad in it (All the kids that are helping my mom,my sis and Cousin out,are all in schools and we can’t even punish them talk less of beating them,cos my mom will never and won’t take that from any one of us). The problem is wen the kids want to go back to their families,some so called Ogas and Madams won’t allow them which is very sad and bad. If a child wants to go,let her go but don’t be so selfish about it and started thinking of who will help you with this and that?
    @ Nelo,My 28 months baby is way smarter than you o. So the only thing wey u digest from this article na unkempt and rough hair? at least she did something meaningful and change person life but wetin that ur cockroach brain and toothpick body do?nothing but to dey siddon and type with that ur skeleton finger.Rubbish, stupid and idiot ode omo.
    Thanks Lydia Forson,for giving that innocent and brilliant boy a second chance.

15. no heart to hate

February 6, 2014 at 8:33 am

My God bless her Beautiful Heart

16. Dr. N

February 6, 2014 at 10:01 am

So touchingly. Being in the right place at the right time. I suspect a movie script from this. Hope their govt supports her efforts.

drnsmusings.wordpress.com

17. whocares

February 6, 2014 at 10:55 am

I tried to avoid reading this, I knew it would make me sad but I am soo glad he is going to be reunited with his mother, and I am even more thankful that she has started this outreach programme. I cant begin to imagine the horrors the boy and other kids like him have been through.. I hope we hear more success stories similar to Emmanuel’s.