News

Jennifer Eliogu gets Candid about the Skin Bleaching Trend

Jennifer Eliogu - BN Movies & TV - April 2014 - BellaNaija.com

For Jennifer Eliogu, beauty has nothing to do with your complexion.

The Nollywood actress and singer shares her thoughts on the never ending topic – skin bleaching.

Yes you can roll your eyes, because every day, in every house, in every friend group, it is always being discussed.

In an interview with Punch, she shares that the trend may be because of insecurities.

“I cannot speak for others because it depends on the reason why they want to be light-skinned. For some people, it is because they have skin pigmentation or the skin colour is not uniform and they want to change it. I don’t know what their reasons are but I feel that for a dark-skinned person to want to tone their skin colour to be completely fair, it has to do with low self esteem.” she says.

Jennifer who recently premiered the video for her song Fantasy, continues by saying “If you are comfortable with the way you are, then you would not want to change your skin colour. If God wanted you to be fair, he would have made either of your parents fair. He would have made you come from that background but when you are not like that and you want to recreate yourself, then it has to do with self esteem. It is a different thing to want to tone up a little bit and enhance the beauty of your skin but bleaching, changing from dark to fair, I think it has to do with low self esteem. People have the impression that fair people are noticed more. For me, it is not about the colour of your skin but what you have in your head. It is about your behaviour and character.”

Jennifer also speaks on motherhood, her love life and fashion. To read the full interview, click here

1. Ferrari

April 12, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I think skin lightening is a non surgical cosmetic enhancement , not unlike nail fixing , hair piece wearing, eyelash fixing and so on. I dont know if self esteem plays any role in the matter sha. I wish , the issue wasnt so overly flogged, “its dangerous” we done hear ohhhhh, na your skin, na your money you take buy the cream, na your choice. On to the next one!

• love not war

April 12, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Exactly why more of our budget needs to go into Education.

• Kelly

April 12, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Lmao. I love your reply. This person is obviously bleaching. Its irreversible, fixing nails is reversible and so is weave. Hell even relaxer you can always cut your hair. It is sad people feel the need to bleach.
      And Bella naija, some of us have 100 problems and bleaching ain’t one of them. There are other issues we devote our time to

• WHAT A PARADOX: SHE'S BLEACHING AS WELL!

May 16, 2014 at 9:24 am

JENNY FORGOT TO ADD THAT SHE ALSO bleaches — she’s a far cry from what she looked like in her early movie day… her trial bleaching days [see the movie: SAWAM and also marvel at her knuckles]

2. misstee

April 12, 2014 at 12:41 pm

shes said it all.

3. MoD

April 12, 2014 at 12:58 pm

No, I don’t discuss bleaching everyday in my house with friends. Heck! I don’t even discuss it at all. Quit with the assumptions

4. yostic

April 12, 2014 at 1:12 pm

BN, please, can we pay you guys not to talk about this issue for like a month?…..I think I speak for most people here…It don do.

and please who is she?

• yesand

April 12, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Exactly, it enough already.
      And who is this non factor
      and who is this thing and why should I care about her opinion
      mchewwwww

• Melb

April 12, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Thing? Non-factor? But ur on BN commenting on her interview. My question is how relevant are you asides being a commenter. You don’t come at people that way…hell she’s someone’s mother, wife who jst granted an interview. She’s a non factor cos she’s not your everyday red-carpet celeb? If u don’t care about her opinion wakapass! U dnt call a human being “thing” esp someone that didn’t shove her opinion down ur throat. Tbh it’s very LOW on ur part. You don’t care yet u read, scrolled to the comment section, put email, put name there nd commented. You don’t care indeed.

• CarliforniaBawlar

April 12, 2014 at 5:11 pm

She gave the interview to Punch… one of the most respected national newspapers. Not a blog oh! A national daily…Well I would think that means a whole lot of people care about her and whatever she does… maybe not some bad-mouthed kid with access to the internet but definitely normal everyday Nigerians.
      But wait sef!! OMG!! why would you call anyone a thing?? Is it that serious?? Dang you are one rude and uncouth child! Yes the issue is over-flogged and even if you bleach, she hasn’t said anything to warrant such nastiness. I feel bad for the people who have to deal with you on any level…. eishh!!

• Busola

April 14, 2014 at 2:42 pm

How arrogant!!! This is one of the many problems affecting Nigeria. I loathe people like you!

5. Ndubuisi

April 12, 2014 at 1:39 pm

To be honest, i am not against bleaching cream if you use it to correct skin discoloration due to exposure to sun or heat but if you use it just to whiten your skin from it’s original color, then i am against it.

6. www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

April 12, 2014 at 1:59 pm

But Jennifer is A LOT LIGHTER than she used to be when she was acting so what is she on about? I saw her at a wedding in January 2013 (civic centre to be precise) and she shone brighter than the sun!

• CarliforniaBawlar

April 13, 2014 at 1:38 am

You see…. there’s an issue with being a light-skinned person in Nigeria…. because of the harshness of the sun, most ‘yellow’ people try to keep their skin tone even and blemish free by using ‘skin toning’ creams. I once fell victim to this trend as well,’cause I would tan (unevenly) very easily. My mum and one of my sisters don’t but everyone else in my family does. I think its the albinism trait from my dad’s side…lol. Just put me in the sun for one hour and I’ll be all sorta shades from grey to red. Anyway just like most light skinned people I know, i would stop using any cream once I noticed I was getting lighter. I had some other skin issues and a dermatologist finally told me to just use moisturizers with sunscreens and voila! I can say I’ve never gone back to any of those nasty creams.
      I think education is key to letting people like Jennifer know that all she needs is a good sunblock instead of creams that will turn her from yellow to white.

• skaia

April 13, 2014 at 8:20 am

I thought so too.

• awosh

April 16, 2014 at 8:38 am

@Thelma jenifer has always been light.you seem to forget that films in the past had poor picture quality and lightening.As for the interview I like it.

7. @edDREAMZ

April 12, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I strongly encourage bleaching bcos if yu no bleach yu no go easily get job and na yellow gal i wan marry so also my brother and frnds……
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• love not war

April 12, 2014 at 3:52 pm

And no one wants to marry you. Thank goodness it’s Jupiter you live.

• awosh

April 16, 2014 at 8:43 am

hahahahahahah Mr Jupiter I don marry and I nor bleach or yellow na five girls my mama born
      all of us don marry.lupita nyongo nor bleach she get international recognition pass you when be Jupiter wen balance dey yarn dust.

8. Stephanie

April 12, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Ok oh…we have heard
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

9. debby

April 12, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I agree wit jennifer.it is mostly as a result of low self esteem dat makes ppl bleach

10. nene

April 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm

she uses bleaching/toning cream but she’s naturally light too.

11. nnennaya

April 12, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Crashed the bleaching market . Some things have come to stay. Just be wise. Kpichikom

12. Lobatan

April 12, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Didn’t read the gibberish but bleaching or is it toning cream sells like killed in nigeria. Even most muas like banke meshida offer toning cream for their clients which makes them lighter befor the wedding day. Banke sef dey mix cream so make we hear word. Each to their own Biko…. Work out ur own salvation first. Opari

13. Lobatan

April 12, 2014 at 6:52 pm

*sells like kilode not killed o

14. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

April 13, 2014 at 2:11 am

Thin Line Between Toning And Bleaching- click my name to read more

15. DocDeola

April 13, 2014 at 7:20 am

I went to a cosmetic conference yesterday, and the amount of stuff on offer for toning, bleaching is unreal. Then there are levels, if you are poor, you stick to old stuff hydroquinone. Then if you are richer, then there’s azelaic acid you bathe in, then if you are more sophisticated, you take meladerm combined with spf for the rest of your life. The point is these products apart from HQ haven’t been tested for too long, and their impact on skin cancers are not known. Furthermore they are usually meant for localised use for chloasma or vitiligo not to be fairer. It’s nothing to do with being black, human beings are never content, never, white people tan and get melanoma and die within 6 months, black people bleach and get melanoma or squamous cell carcinoma and die. Moral of the story, stop mocking yourself, and once you start difficult to stop, so woe behold if you ever become poor – you are going to be burnt and unpleasant looking, stretch marks and the ever hanging risk of skin cancer!

16. ujunwa

April 17, 2014 at 11:18 am

please becareful of hydroquinone.is the worst bleaching cream ever.whether tested or not.i dont trust it.it has many effects on the skin.if you dont want to get skin cancer please stay away.