News

Brides-to-be Getting ‘Hand Lifts’ for Flawless Engagement Selfies

BellaNaija.com

Hand lift 1.1 Bella Naija

The desire to look flawless on social media is fast becoming an obsession for some women. Last month, BN reported that a Los Angeles woman got $15,000 worth of plastic surgery on her face so she could take the perfect selfies for Instagram and Facebook.

And now, the new trend is that brides-t0-be are getting “hand lifts” so their hands can look flawless when they post photos of themselves on social media, flashing their engagement rings, ELLE reports.

According to NYC dermatologist, Ariel Ostad, “hand lifts” are not a new plastic surgery procedure. However, it has increased by about 4o percent since the rise of social media and selfies.

Hand Lifts 1 Bella Naija

“As we age, the skin on the hands can lose fat, becoming more thin and bony with prominent veins and wrinkles. Social media has certainly led people to be more concerned about their appearance and how they present themselves, so if women can receive a quick procedure to make themselves feel better and younger, it’s something that they are willing to do,”says Ostad.

Here’s how “hand lifts” are typically done: Juvéderm (an injectable filler made largely from hyaluronic acid, a substance normally found in the skin, muscles, and tendons of mammals) is injected into the hands to smoothen wrinkles and plump up the skin. Results are instant.

Hand lift 2

The procedure typically takes about 10 minutes, costs about $1,200, and reportedly lasts for about 9 months.

Speaking on getting a hand lift, Alexandra Berry says “I always thought my hands were a little boyish growing up, so I thought why not. Engagement photos are coming up in about a month.”

***

Hey Bella Naijarian brides-to-be! Would you get a hand lift?

Photo Credit: www.tinadiaz.com/ABC 7/WJLA

1. Sjaneviel from Suriname

May 19, 2014 at 11:32 am

madness… smh

2. kim

May 19, 2014 at 11:33 am

hell NO! or maybe.

3. Kcee

May 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

nawaaa oooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hand lifts keeee…… each to his own ooo!!!!!!!!!!!

4. selfie

May 19, 2014 at 11:39 am

this is so weird

5. Daisy

May 19, 2014 at 11:41 am

Orisirisi things! So I would go through all that stress just to get the perfect engagement selfie? So a bunch of random peeps can uh and ah and I can feel important. To what gain exactly? Smh

• Dora the explorer

May 20, 2014 at 9:29 am

I knowwwwwwwwwww!!!! God bless you for speaking my mind..

6. Grace

May 19, 2014 at 11:50 am

Smh

7. @edDREAMZ

May 19, 2014 at 11:55 am

I dont see anything wrong in it, if yu like go for it as simple as A.B.C…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. Fabulicious

May 19, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Triple Odiegwu….Someone somewhere is praying that she’ll find MR RIGHT NOW while another is using $1200 to get a hand lift that will fetch her compliments when she has seen someone who is ready to love her nonetheless.Lord open our eyes that we may see.

9. sisi

May 19, 2014 at 12:29 pm

…then ankle chains will be in vogue, feet lifts will be the in thing… all these lifts end up bringing terrible falls later on… SHIOR!!!

10. www.ANEMISTYLE.com

May 19, 2014 at 12:38 pm

All this for social media approval? What if at the end no body gives your photo a like or your friend get more likes than you, will you kill your self?
    Social media is moving toward a direction where people want more ‘realness’ rather than the fake perfection most people try to portray.

11. Berry Dakara

May 19, 2014 at 12:53 pm

*hiss*

• Iamme

May 19, 2014 at 1:02 pm

lol Berry I’m with you. *hiss* *mschew* is just perfect. I can’t even comment.

12. happychick

May 19, 2014 at 12:58 pm

LOBATAN!!!!!

13. baboushka

May 19, 2014 at 12:59 pm

All these hand lift people have clearly never heard of almond oil. For smooth flawless hands and skin if you like you only need to use almond oil every night works wonders I tell you. it’s also the number one ingredient in all those high end very effective hand creams so go figure.

14. T.I.

May 19, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Hope brides carryout inwards surgeries and ‘lifts’ to make the marriage last sha…

• esteelauder

May 19, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I love this comment, if we could devote as much effort to taking care of the inside like we do the outside, the world would be a better place.

• B-WEST

May 19, 2014 at 2:19 pm

God bless u for such wisdom plus common sense!

• Bleed Blue

May 19, 2014 at 3:20 pm

And T.I. has said it all. Nothing more to add.

• divadivine

May 19, 2014 at 10:41 pm

word! you are beyond wise

15. SMH

May 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Well, I hope BellaNaija would slow down with the photos they post with all that mush and glam that drives the average woman into thinking having her pre-wedding shots get more than 20,000 likes on your IG would translate to a lasting marriage now, before Nigerian women begin to adjust their toe nails surgically so we can see flawless toes through their shoes instead of using good old filter….. Meh too much joy and wanting to be like the facade you see on social media will not be the death of this generation…Amen.

16. uju

May 19, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Nna ehh…what will I not hear…

17. adelegirl

May 19, 2014 at 3:05 pm

“A fool and (her) money are easily parted”

18. Chika

May 19, 2014 at 4:36 pm

To what end please? It’s only for those women with low self esteem. Else why hand lift? The dude saw your lanky hand and fingers, yet chose to ring you out of the many finer hands…and social media applaud is your worry? You are sick please

19. Stylefash25

May 19, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Hmm what wont we hear. All these just for social media. No words.

stylefash25.blogspot.com

20. Mzlyrics

May 19, 2014 at 5:12 pm

How did we get here really? Hmmm, for the last few days I have been on a social media detox and trust me I felt lighter and somewhat happier afterwards from all the bad belle news on blogs, unnecessary banter on twitter and and the ‘my life is more perfect than yours’ picture splash on IG! SM is slowly driving us to a dangerous point and its o.k to apply the brakes sometimes. Amma do this more often. Handselfie! SMH!!!

21. dalady

May 19, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I think you ppl at BN and other wedding bloggers are part of the problem. You have indirectly made weddings a competition, down to pre-wedding photo shoots and proposals. I even heard of one, pre-wedding photo shoot party, kilode. Brides constantly trying to outdo one another it’s ridiculous. I am a soon-to-be-bride and i was chatting with one of my friends about the planning and all, when she made some statements that made me ask her “what have you done with my friend, cos the friend i knew wasn’t this superficial”. Simple introduction has now become a major event on its own and there is a selection process for picking asoebi girls and bridesmaids, there i was thinking all you had to do was ask your best friends and family members. And when did the so-called “asoebi girls” come into circulation? So many new rules and then let’s not even talk about vendors ripping couples off anyhow.
    I think that you kind BN folks need to encourage average everyday couple, let them know it’s okay to not have their wedding pictures up on BN because as we dey go so, pesin go soon rob bank ontop wedding. E remain small.

• jojo

May 19, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Thank you! Its like BN weddings have a certain price tag if your wedding did not cost $$$ $$$ $$$ then my friend you are not worthy enough to be on this page its so ridiculous. A non Nigerian friend was watching a marriage convention pastors show where he featured regular people weddings people who had met at his marriage conventions and she could not believe those were Nigerian weddings because all she has seen of Nigerian weddings has been on BN if not for the names of the couple and location it would have been hard to convince her that this is how 80% of Nigerian weddings look like the 20% are the moneyed famous last name people and celebrities, oil moguls that can afford BN type weddings. We need some realness on this site.

• ajus

May 20, 2014 at 12:31 am

I totally agree with you. It will be nice to have articles suggesting tips on how to plan nice weddings that are affordable. There is everything for everybody and let us be contented with what we have and move on. In fact it is the marriage that matters and it wont make any sense to spend a lot and end up bankrupt after.

• adelegirl

May 20, 2014 at 11:46 am

I totally get what you are saying dalady but I cannot blame BN at all for people’s insecurities. People send BN pictures of their weddings and BN puts it up- that’s all really.

Like you, I am also planning my wedding which takes place in a couple of months by God’s grace and though I am a fan of BN weddings posts, I know what my budget and financial limits are so I do not get carried away by the lavish weddings often featured here.

Besides BN also posts “regular joe” weddings where the brides give practical tips on how not to break the bank. At least 3 of such weddings come to mind now and I know there are far more. I wish I had the time to trawl through archives and post the links here for you. I have gotten valuable tips from such posts like the bride (she is a blogger I think and she married the founder of Jobberman) who used bride and groom chairs that she could put in her sitting room and pictures in a frame instead of a banner, so that those pictures could be re-used in her home. Oh and Berry Dakara’s wedding also gave great tips. She had a beach wedding which looked like so much fun but not one she needed to break the bank for. Examples abound. Just know and be confident in yourself, be realistic about your budget and financial capabilities, bearing in mind that there is life after the hoopla and excitement of the wedding ceremony.

• Je ne sais pas

May 20, 2014 at 12:12 pm

there are other wedding websites.
      0ne of the strongest appeals of luxury brands is the exclusivity and status that comes from owning a designer handbag or instantly recognizable pair of shoes (think red soles or purses with interlocking “C”s).

‘BN type of wedding’ might be something this brand is going for, If BN has a niche and preference let them be.

22. deel

May 19, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I don’t even know what to say. Social media is killing the world!

23. Je ne sais pas

May 20, 2014 at 1:17 am

I recently saw an article on one of these gossip blogs announcing the engagement of a certain lady alongside the picture of the ring on her finger. You needed to see most of the comments, very bashful and horrible. Rather than congratulate her, most of the commentators felt it was their duty to emphasise on how ‘ugly’ her hands were, some even had the guts to question the guy’s wisdom in proposing to her.

We now live in the world of social networks where every tom, dick and harry feels compelled to offer their unsolicited opinions. The anonymity of these social networks provides the platform for very nasty and dreadful statements to be uttered. I really don’t blame these women, some of us have insecurities thats why people like me sometimes wear make-up…we don’t necessarily want these insecurities to be opened to public evaluation and assessment.

My two cents: Dear to-be brides congratulations, but rather than putting some dangerous chemicals in your body, try taking the pictures from different angles and using those blessed Instagram filters 😉

to the rest of us: Let us constantly make efforts not only to to speak positivity but to also write it, irrespective of the anon platform…you don’t have to give an opinion on what x can see in the mirror….if it aint nice please don’t write. The people who read these things about themselves, believe it or not, have feelings too.

• anonymous

May 20, 2014 at 11:05 am

God bless you

• Florence

May 20, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Exactlyy! Gosh I love you

24. www.blogsvila.blogspot.com

May 20, 2014 at 11:22 am

WOW!

25. RayRay

May 27, 2014 at 11:14 am

I would rather not display my fingers neither would I spend such a ridiculous amount of money for something stupid. In the end, who do you really want to impress? After the ‘uhhs’ and ‘awws’ what next? What matters most is not using those same hands to tear down your home but making it happy and habitable for the pair of you. C’est fini!

26. Oscar'my

May 28, 2014 at 9:37 am

So yuck…like seriously?? Ladies and wahala.

27. Engagement Rings

May 7, 2015 at 4:47 am

It is becoming a trend nowadays. All you need is a nice Engagement Ring and for sure photos will look absolutely stunning.