News

“If I Slap a Man, He Has Every Right To Slap Me Back” – Is Whoopi Goldberg Right?

BellaNaija.com

Whoopi Goldberg - May 2014 - BellaNaija.com

BellaNaijarians, violence in every and any way is completely wrong, but does that mean, women should hit men because they know they will not hit them back out of respect.

A few months back, I remember listening to a conversation on the radio on domestic violence. A woman called in and said, she hits her husband all the time and is confident he won’t retaliate. The presenter told her, the man may be provoked so she should stop.

Wendy Williams shared her thoughts on the Jay Z and Solange Knowles elevator fight – watch it here, now the ladies of ABC’s The View also weighed in on the trending topic.

Actress and co-host Whoopi Goldberg made a statement that will raise a lot of eyebrows.

“I think Solange was quite ready for him to do whatever he was going to do,” she said. “This is the thing: If anybody hits you, you have the right – I know that many people are raised in a different way – but if a woman hits you, to me, you have the right to hit her back.”

Barbara Walters then asked Whoopi if she believed it is okay for a man to hit a woman. Goldberg replied, “If I slap a man, he has every right to slap me back.”

Watch the clip!

1. Person pikin

May 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Enough already!

• Thatgidigirl

May 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I know right? BN can flog a topic to death, revive it and lynch it again! Meanwhile, i do not support violence in any form, either from men or women. if you hit a man and he defends himself or ego by hitting you back, i believe you asked for it.

• Kiki

May 16, 2014 at 5:34 am

Lol @ flog a topic 2 death, revive it n lynch it again. Everybody shld learn 2 control their anger man or woman.

2. nene

May 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm

yes she is. he is entitles to slap you back. it’s his choice. some women don’t know how to control themselves when dealing with men, not everyman will be like Jay Z.

3. Good Girl

May 15, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Yes o! And vice versa.

4. Eebony

May 15, 2014 at 7:42 pm

By being the first to hit anyone,you r asking for trouble,so it’s justified if they hit u back in Self-defence,yea,nt every maan can be like Jay Z

5. Olori Tari

May 15, 2014 at 7:55 pm

As it should be. Not like violence is the answer, but if you hit anyone first (male/female).. you are actually giving the permission to hit you back.

6. Truth

May 15, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I feel the same way as whoopi. I am a woman who believe in gender equality and if a woman has the nerve to hit her man, she better be ready to receive and vice versa. I hate how in usa women have upper hand when it come to abusive cases and they get to hit and degrade like men, and once that man snaps,he is jailed,and she is let go. Example Chris brown and Rihanna situation.i don’t condone domestic violence but if a woman decides to hit her man, she better be ready to receive. Most men are raised to be honorable and not hit back,but some women take it too far.

• slice

May 15, 2014 at 11:04 pm

so sad, you think there’s something she could have done to him to deserve what he did to her.

• Tex

May 15, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Did Rihanna hit Chris Brown first?

• girl

May 16, 2014 at 4:43 am

oga anyi isofanolu ni’ime motor?? how do you know rihanna hit him?

• camo

May 16, 2014 at 11:11 am

loooooooool!

7. name

May 15, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Abi shey be na women they look for gender equality up and dow. You want the public to see us as equal, then you can’t slap me and think you will get a way with it, i will double slap you left and right like a man because we are see as equal…..

8. Cancel Reply

May 15, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Yup!I agree. No one has the right to hit another human being and if they do, you have the right to protect yourself and retaliate.

9. slice

May 15, 2014 at 11:03 pm

i won’t argue whether or not you have the right to. but i’d say it’s a very bad idea. many men are in jail for the same thing. that her little hand may hurt but you dish her one blow and she ends up with injuries and in the hospital or dead. There goes your life.
    and when all is said and done, real men don’t hit women

10. mich

May 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm

If a female hits a male first, the male has every right to hit back (its called equality and self-defense). However, that does not always mean the male should hit back especially since most men have strength that is exponentially higher than a females. The same slap that a female gives to a male and he retaliates will cause way more damage.

As for Jay Z, I respect the heck out of him for putting up with Solange’s bulls**t especially when it was “technically” behind closed doors. No matter what the issue was Solange was out of line. There was no reason for her to resort to violence especially to Jay Z. I am NOT talking about Jay Z the celebrity ooo, am talking about Jay Z the man, Jay Z the in-law, and Jay Z the elder. This man is older than you by at least 15 years and you attack him like that? What type of ewa anya is that?

If Jay Z had mistakenly touched her in any kinda way eh, this for become a different kind of story. It takes a lot of courage, discipline, and control to do what Jay Z did, and I will forever respect him for that.

11. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

May 15, 2014 at 11:22 pm

That’s gangsta abeg. Real men don’t hit women no matter how provoked they are. They can restrain the woman from hitting them, but they should NEVER hit back. Jay-Z handled himself like a real man.
    Some Attractive Things Men Do Without Realizing- click my name to read more

12. Person

May 15, 2014 at 11:29 pm

I am with Whoopi. Don’t ever put your hands on a man. It is wrong. If hits you first, then all bets are off. You can like to kill him in self defence. So that he won’t kill you first. But if you hit a man, he has every right to hit you back. Shebi it is us women that want gender equality? Ehn ehn, this is equality. If you think you are strong enough to initiate physical abuse and aggression towards a man, you should be ready to take it. When women are abused and they don’t fight back, no one says ‘well done’, but for men, it is some sort of honor which is why 15% of men are in abusive relationships. Like they say, ‘don’t start nothing, won’t be nothing’

13. Smyl4me

May 16, 2014 at 12:41 am

Thou shall not do unto others what you cannot condone. This hold true for both sexes. I bet why JayZ ddnt retaliate was coz of his reputation. Some ladies take it overboard sha especially here in Uk. Its a woman land

14. Bella

May 16, 2014 at 9:35 am

Why the violence in the first place? so if it was you being a female and being hit first, how would you feel, would you not shout murder? Please abeg, if you fit hit am first, then be prepared to receive his own. Violence is a no no, period!!

15. Pamela

May 16, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hm. I’ve never really liked Whoopi anyway. The thing is, I believe in self respect and composure. A woman has no business hitting a man and a man has no right to hit a woman. Women can be quite annoying and men could be total babies. But it’s all about tolerance and respect. No need to turn the world into a punching bag. And Whoopi, you are old enough to know this: ‘two wrongs don’t make a right’. Much love.

16. Pamela

May 16, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hm. I’ve never really liked Whoopi anyway. The thing is, I believe in self respect and composure. A woman has no business hitting a man and a man has no right to hit a woman. Women can be quite annoying and men could be total babies. But it’s all about tolerance and respect. No need to turn the world into a punching bag. And Whoopi, you are old enough to know this: ‘two wrongs don’t make a right’. Lots of love.

17. mouth mouth

May 16, 2014 at 9:59 am

AM IN UK N IF I WOMAN DOES THAT N YOU DEFEND YOURSELF TRUST ME THE WOMAN WILL TAKE YOUR MORTGAGE AND EVERY HOUSEHOLD , UNFORTUNATELY FOR US THE MEN WE HAVE NO POWER IN UK MAY BE USA . I HAVE SEEN MOST MY FRIENDS THEIR WIFE TOOK EVERYTHING HE WORK FOR YEAR WHEN A FIGHT BROKE OUT AND THE MAN SLAP HER BCOS THE WIFE KEPT SLAPING HIM AND HE DEFENDED HIMSELF. ALL THAT U NEED TO DO IS BE LIKE JAY Z N WALK OFF

18. sum1special

May 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but then when you go around hitting someone, get ready to be hit right back. Any woman who has self respect would know better than hitting someone, talkess of a man. I said this here before, Solange was very lucky with Jayz, but she shouldn’t try it with some other guy because she would surely regret it. I definitely agree with Whoopi.

19. omo eniyan, a.k.a nwan-nmadu.

May 16, 2014 at 12:16 pm

i think most women should know better,…and the idea of a gender iquality would will not just work @ all,…as a woman if u hit a man..u feel like he can take it,…like he’s not flesh and blood right?,…please whatever laws they have in the usa and eu,..should be reviewd,..its wrong to hit anybody in the first place,…i
    think most women should know better,…and the idea of a gender
    iquality would will not just work @ all,…as a woman if u hit a man..u
    feel like he can take it,…like he’s not flesh and blood
    right?,…please whatever laws they have in the usa and eu,..should be
    reviewd,..its wrong to hit anybody in the first place,…

20. Jane Public

May 16, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I thought we have moved past an eye for an eye as so called progressive human beings. We may as well rewind the hands of time back to before Moses was on earth. What kind of stupid statement is that? Is Whoopi a mother to a son, I sure hope not. A huge shame coming from a black woman, knowing the statistics of black men in jail for domestic violence issues. I don’t agree with what Solange did because if she was “defending” her sister, she could have used her words, even at that, don’t butt into a marriage. Go face your own sorry life and stop living in your sister’s shadow. Honestly I am tired of seeing that girls face. If she wasn’t related to Beyonce, the world would have forgotten about her ages ago. I will raise my little boy with the words, if a woman hits you, walk away. Walk away because at the end of the day, your life is the one that will be ruined and not hers. Society will never be on your side and I pray it never comes to that, otherwise people like Chris Brown will be walking free in 50years. That is the kind of society Whoopi wants to leave behind. If a woman hits you, walk away. Two wrongs don’t make a right. If someone is crazy enough to raise her hand at you, do not descend to her level and be crazy too. Walk away not because it is possible you are stronger (which is not always the case, some women are stronger), but walk away because two wrongs don’t make a right. Walk away so it is obvious the woman is the violent one. See how Solange is like HQ of Cray in the eyes of the world. Jay Z held his resolve and I salute him for that. Let the crazy person look like the crazy person and you remain sane. Human beings have evolved beyond retaliation, or I sure hope so. If you steal my phone, I steal yours, if you rob my house I rob yours, if you kill my child i kill yours. That is what Whoopi is saying isn’t it. Stupid old woman. She should go ressurect her career and stop playing daft. Helen Mirren is still working at her age, Judi Dench is still working at her age. Meryl Streep is still working at her age. These women have even been nominated for Oscars recently with successful movies. What movie has Whoopi been in since before my sister was born. Washed up has-been trying to be relevant.

• Miss J

May 16, 2014 at 8:27 pm

As usual, you are on point madam. You’ve said it all but you shouldn’t have insulted the mama na, lool

• Jinmi

May 16, 2014 at 9:52 pm

You did not also say what transpired everyone is saying Jay Z must have done something bad. So if a man and a woman have issues the man is presumed guilty, by the society and the even the so called court. Keep on turning men into babies. Have you heard that word mann up women are become the way you want. ….slackers lot of them here in Europe I will never hit any woman but I will hit any that hit me proportionately. Feminism is not about equity its about subduing men. Assume its the other way round, your type would have been here making all manner of noise and justify feminism . Just watch in the future what will happen between Jay Z and Beyonce if she allow her Sis to continue her madness. Men don’t forget there humiliation. It may take time but it will never be erased and will act when opportunity present itself, on the surface its like everything is fine. And don’t forget these happen in many families here in Uk too. This older buddy got kicked out of his house for these, the wife just started acting after he is done paying mortgage she slapped hit him hard over a minor disagreement and he hit her back that’s all now all he as laboured to do even before marrying this black girl is gone. That’s why more black men are refusing to settle with most BGs they will act and get you into trouble, even when you are right you are the one who will get screwed.

• Prato

May 16, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Dayummm Gurlll … Whoopie steal your man ?

21. Junior Medina-Colon

May 19, 2014 at 1:58 am

The law should change because EVERYONE is EQUAL and the times are changing No one should put your hands on anyone ( IN SELF DEFENSE ) for e.g. if a man hits a woman he’s goes to jail why can a woman, And their a saying, If you do the crime, You do the time, just like everyone else, No Special treatment

22. kofieko

May 19, 2014 at 8:33 am

The question as to whether it is right for a man to hit a woman does not arise at all. It is not right for any human to express his/her anger through violence on another human. Animals do that because in Akan, it is said that when your child grows beyond spanking, you don’t spank it. So, how on earth should raise a finger a partner who is not your child, who has grown beyond spanking and who is adult enough to be married to you the ‘violent’ aggressor?

23. Ben Haith

September 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm

The shootings and the violence that has taken place within the United States over the years reveals that our nation is within a “Perfect Storm.”