News

Nollywood Director Obi Emelonye Arrested

BellaNaija.com

Obi Emelonye - May 2014 - BellaNaija
Last Flight to Abuja director Obi Emelonye just sent out a tweet that he and his team from the UK were arrested for taking aerial shots of Lagos.

“Just been arrested with my team from the UK by Lagos TV for taking aerial shots of Lagos around Shoprite Ikeja; using remote helicopters. As a media house they should understand what we are trying to do. But they want to put me in jail for making Lagos look great. I am resigned to my fate and allowed God to take control. Challenges we face in trying to grow the industry. Pray for me and pray for Nigeria. #free-obi” he said.

1. Jo!

May 26, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I don’t understand. LTV has rights to all aerial shots of Lagos? :S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S

2. Dea

May 26, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Did he get the required permit or not?

• nene

May 27, 2014 at 8:06 am

gbam

3. me ma sef

May 26, 2014 at 10:39 pm

#BringBackOurObi

• Bleed Blue

May 27, 2014 at 9:02 am

Hahahahahaha!!! Kill me oh! Kill me with laughter!

Seriously though, he needs to ensure proper procedure was followed and the right permits were obtained (assuming there is an available laid down process for this oh).

If it was, then they’re just being silly arresting him, if otherwise, then he needs to realise we are in a heightened state of security awareness and a helicopter roving around Lagos, whether with people from the UK or not, is bound to be treated like a threat.

4. Ola

May 26, 2014 at 11:54 pm

May God deliver you bro, nonsense people, they will see that one if it’s boko haram bomb filled abandoned car no one will question you.

5. Wifey

May 27, 2014 at 12:54 am

Jail is excessive…. but I can understand that is probably the wrong time to be recording images of Lagos from above. Such videos can be used to plot terror attacks. Wrong timing. I hope he gets out soon.

6. NNENNE

May 27, 2014 at 1:06 am

Am impressed about this development. That means Gov. Fashola and his security team are on top of their game. Nothing is too much in these trying times.
    I have no doubt in my mind that you will be released Mr. Obi, once they properly identify you. Hope you had proper permit before you commenced.

7. Shadie

May 27, 2014 at 1:14 am

Obviously, that location is very sensitive you have the seat of Lagos state govt there, as well as Lagos state govt offices, you could have chosen so many other locations within the state. Why that one? would you use helicopter to take aerial views of Downing street, House of Parliament, House of Lords or any govt Parastatals in the UK. This is Nigeria so it is ok to bring your UK crew to show them that you can get away with such behavior. Well Fashola rules Lagos and not Dia ris Godooo Aso Rock people. #Free Obi and his UK crew.

• nene

May 27, 2014 at 8:07 am

lol “Well Fashola rules Lagos and not Dia ris Godooo Aso Rock people.”.

8. seun

May 27, 2014 at 6:17 am

E be like say things done get k leg
    Well you can still watch the videos on kicotv.com

9. kunle

May 27, 2014 at 8:08 am

He can take several seats in jail. Who gave him a permit to do such? You don’t follow due process them you run your mouth? With all the security concerns…did you think you can just take ariel pictures? #Obigoestojail

10. Fatimah

May 27, 2014 at 11:21 am

All I know is that I hate when I am walking on the street and I see cameras obviously recording everything and everyone without permission. I experienced this last month, twice. I was so irritated.

He obviously had no permission to do such. Like a typical Nigerian, he expects them to ‘understand’. Mssschhheeew. Why not ask for permission first?

Instead of him to apologize and or call his lawyer, he is going the emotional blackmail route. Wa pe lori Twitter.

11. @edDREAMZ

May 27, 2014 at 11:43 am

Is so obvious that naija doesnt like progress and am not even surprise at all…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

12. NNENNE

May 27, 2014 at 1:04 pm

You’re right @ nene.Fashola rules Lagos and his roles are different from GEJ’s. Please compare him to Shettima. Am glad he is performing and watching over his state . That’s how it should be. ..Division of labor.

13. Lady with the AfroLocs

May 27, 2014 at 1:32 pm

@edDREAMZ : you should not be “surprise” at all…pscheeeeeeew!!!

14. Turi

May 27, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Where is the likes button when you need one!!! Truth be told, do people take ariel shots of Downing street, white house, pentagon and the likes just like that? we agree you are a director, but this use of twitter is the sole reason why peeps like you shldnt have social media in the first place.

15. Idak

May 27, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Obi, the king of drama!!
    See your mouth like free-obi.

16. Hannah

May 27, 2014 at 7:40 pm

See ur mouth like free Obi, next time you should do the right thing and seek a permit from the state. So enjoy itself in jail, u will soon come out ,u hear.