News

Liberian Woman Found Hanging from a Tree in Lagos

BellaNaija.com

Liberian Woman Found Hanging from Tree BellaNaija

A Liberian woman named Kate, was found dead, hanging from a pear tree in Lagos this morning.

The scene of the incident was Bankole Street, in the Isheri-Oke area of town, Punch reports. Kate was reportedly well known in the area, and worked at a satchet worker factory.

Sources say she didn’t seem to have problems with any one in the community, however; after the Ebola outbreak some people in the area began to stay away from her when they discovered that it was Liberian Patrick Sawyer that brought the disease to the country.

She is said to have begun to look ill in recent times.

Police authorities are yet to comment on the matter.

Photo Credit: Punch

1. the queen

September 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm

stigmatization is worst thing anyone can pass thru

2. Ona

September 12, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Thank you for blurring the pics at least, unlike some tactless, tacky blogger who put up the full damn pics with everything showing! I found it really disturbing and tacky.

• Yinka

September 12, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I.m telling you some bloggers have no shame….doing that to your fellow human because of traffic.

• LILO

September 12, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I thot it was just me that had a major issue with the way some nasty uncouth bloggers locked the decency to blur out the victim’s lifeless body

• Koenigin

September 13, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Your reply has L.Ikeji writen between the lines and it’s truer than true which is why I have stopped visiting her blog especially after the Alu4 tragedy. I don’t know how some of her readers still manage to click through the pages of this her blog. abi na journalism? sensationalism or provocation? biko which one is it?

The police should investigate properly. Many cases showed us that a dead body found hanging from a tree does not necessarily mean that the victim committed suicide o..

May her soul rest in peace and may God forgive all her sins. Dying a downcast in a foreign land….this is sad…this is sad.

3. POSHILLA

September 12, 2014 at 3:29 pm

HMMMM DIS ONE NA NKAN NBE! I TINK ITS TIME FOR LIBERIANS MUST GO

4. i no send

September 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm

no words ..but thank you BN for giving this woman some dignity …where is our humanity in all this ??

5. Etieno

September 12, 2014 at 3:49 pm

God help us.

6. Cece

September 12, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Really sad. Suicide is NEVER an option.

7. deejay

September 12, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Are we sure it was suicide or murder?. That Sawyer guy is real killjoy. Can you imagine the kind of heartache and panic he caused to Nigerians.. Every aspect of our lives is distrupted because of one LIberian.. See the way they are paying us back with all our assistance to them. There is God oh!

8. Ugojenny

September 12, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Nigerians just love to hype issues. Why should a Liberian resident in Nigeria be stigmatised because the Ebola thing was brought to Nigeria from someone from her country. Its just dumb. How would we feel if Oyibos stigmatise us because they hear we are from the country where Boko Haram reigns. So annoying

• Libgirl

September 12, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Thank you.

The answer to your question, I think, is pure ignorance. And honestly, this could’ve happened in Liberia, if the case was reversed. I am amazed at how we Africans think, especially those of us who claim to be so pious. May her soul rest in peace.

9. Tina

September 12, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Belle naija tush pass linda ikeji blog

• elleven45

September 12, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I just want to send loads of likes to your comment. Bella pls create a ”like” feature biko

• omoboy

September 12, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Not sure LI cares about ‘tush’ ….. but I know she cares about hits on her page 🙂

10. @edDREAMZ

September 12, 2014 at 5:46 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Patrick didnt only cause harm to we Nigerians but also to his country man and woman.
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

11. Shadie

September 12, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Wow I hope she didn’t have EVD and then chose the easy way out rather than risk being quarrantined.

12. msfriksy

September 12, 2014 at 7:05 pm

so sad…

13. Wande

September 12, 2014 at 10:01 pm

This is a way better way than that lindaikeji of a site, where is our sense of humanity, our sense of human feeling, or wanting to protect another’s dignity, don’t know what was more sickening, the people that gathered around some1 who just committed suicide to be snapping her dead body or the blogger who put the picture up in such an insensitive way, we have lost our sense of human feeling let’s get it back.

14. jackie Onassis

September 13, 2014 at 9:02 am

The same thing happened in Senegal… when a Guinean Bastard who knowingly knew he had Ebola.. just disappeared just like that in Guinea and clandestinely came to Senegal.. which I heard was the only case.. .Guinea people can be wicked ooooo!! this bobo knew he had the disease.. but, because Senegal was not affected by ebola.. Na by force ooooo!! He came to Senegal… thank god he was cured.. now the population is trying to lynch him for destroying Senegal name… Na wawoo.. Wickedness.. this Guinean boy wicked ooooo!! Wonders shall never stopped.. Black mann..

• Koenigin

September 13, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I don’t mean to throw generalizations left and right but could that be that Senegalese people lack hospitality? I’m just wondering given the fact that Senegal hasn’t been the only west african country affected by Ebola which broke out in Guinea. Did Nigerians lynch Liberians or Guineans on Nigerian soil for it?
      I remember this event that troubled me as a pre-teen in the eighties when the whole senegalese working class went on strike for three good days because a Ivorian man dared to make a living in Dakar as a TAXI DRIVER meanwhile all the jewelers in Abidjan Treichville were Senegalese and still are to this day, never paying taxes and stuff but who complains?. Abdu Thiam and his senegalese name and citizenship, has been the honorable minister of communication and information yet no Ivorian went on strike over this. SMH I have like a whole world of examples that led me to think Senegal might not be hospitable to foreigners, having been there on vacation twice myself, I know better but since you’re talking about lynching this Guinean Ebola patient for “destroying Senegal’s name” I thought I should ask. Ebola is a disease. No one want to contract it but it happens. Fear lead humans to act irrationally and I’m sure that’s what happened in his case. He thought running away was the solution.

15. Mz Socially Awkward...

September 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm

This is so very sad. And if she took her life because of any stigmatisation from the community due to being a Liberian, the we have a lot to answer for as a society. How can we lambast people in the west of being “ignorant”/”racist” at every given opportunity when our very backyards are the breeding ground of closed-mindedness?

What a horrible way to have been treated by the Nigerians around her.

16. Stella

September 16, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Hmmm…very sad. But like Deejay said, are we sure it was a suicide and not murder? I smell a rat even though I don`t know the details of the events which led to this. It would be a shame on us if this turns out to be murder.