News

RIP Joan Rivers

WE tv's "Family Affair" 2012 Winter TCA Event

Hollywood has lost a legend, the world has lost a star.

Joan Rivers, 81, host of Fashion Police on E!, longtime comedian, red carpet host and mother of one, passed away in New York City, USA, today September 4, 2014.

The comedienne had been brought out of a medically induced coma after her heart stopped beating during a vocal cord surgery last week. Here’s a statement from her daughter and producer of Fashion Police, Melissa,

“It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers.”

“She passed peacefully at 1:17 PM surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother.”

“Cooper and I have found ourselves humbled by the outpouring of love, support and prayers we have received from around the world.They have been heard and appreciated.”

“My mother’s greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon.”

The world mourns her loss … RIP.

Statement via TMZ

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Angela Weiss

1. Doxa

September 4, 2014 at 8:53 pm

RIP Joan Rivers.

2. P

September 4, 2014 at 8:55 pm

E! Tv will never be the same again!
    RIP miss Joan

3. Rahhhhh

September 4, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Oh no!!!! Not Joan. Really loved her. Damn. It’s like losing a relative, it actually hurts. Her sharp wit and tongue was unrivalled

4. Busarni

September 4, 2014 at 8:57 pm

So sad, RIP.

5. bruno

September 4, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Most Devastating news I have heard this year. RIP.

• Ann

September 4, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I can’t imagine this being more devastating than Ebola and Boko Haram #bringourgirlsback

• slice

September 4, 2014 at 10:36 pm

it could be…he probably didn’t know any of the ebola or boko victims. It makes sense for this to hurt more

• Carliforniabawlar

September 4, 2014 at 10:19 pm

ooooohhh really? Folks dying of ebola left right and center, 100 or so girls missing, One fully packed missing plane, One fully packed shot down plane, numerous boko haram attacks, 2 reporters beheaded in the past weeks…I could go on on….in fact I’m sure if I scroll down the BN page for today, I’d find even more devastating news! Shoot! I actually find the most recent Agony Aunty even sadder than this…..But an old AF 81 year-old woman dies and that devastates you the most?!! Dang son!! you need something….I don’t know what it is, but you need it bad and you need it NOW!!
      p.s. This is not a personal response to you….Its for you and your fellow devastated pop culture E-sheep…. change the channel a little more often and you’d find better heroes and role-models making a difference in the world and changing lives….not Joan Rivers and Kim Kardashian. Msschewwww….devastate ko devastate ni, somebody that if she was your grandma sef, you would have picked the aso-ebi for her burial since last year and sent out the party invites in anticipation of her exit.
      In the time being, Imma be the good christian girl my mama taught me to be and end on this note….
      “Joan Rivers was such a good entertainer, may her soul RIP”

• bruno

September 4, 2014 at 11:07 pm

@carli,after reading ur comment, I can tell you are devastated also but you don’t know how to control ur emotions, just like a typical Nigeria, when they are angry they start blaming everyone. Calm down. (By the way,I don’t have DSTV, and I don’t like the kardashians)

• girl

September 4, 2014 at 11:12 pm

excuse him but that is rightly his opinion, lawddd, y’all be too much at times.

• Nwa

September 5, 2014 at 12:14 am

@ CarliBawlar #you said it# #right out of my mouth# #eziokwu# #authe#

• Anon

September 5, 2014 at 1:52 am

Lol

• larin

September 5, 2014 at 8:32 am

you are the disturbed one see the essay youre writing cos of someones opinion you need help

• Cassie

September 5, 2014 at 8:40 am

@Bruno it’s only @carli’s opinion and it’s very correct, secondly, when you know you don’t have a DSTV, why should this be the most devastating news you’ve heard this year, except you wanted to say something else and ended up making a blunder with your choice of word. Word of advice, go to your neighbour’s house stay for a few minutes scroll and see some of the programs then go online and see some fashion police cut-outs then feel free to come back and correct yourself, this page is always up.

• Blessing

September 5, 2014 at 9:42 am

Best comment ever. Thank you!
      RIP Joan!

• bruno

September 5, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I purposely said I didn’t have a dStv. I knew someone will insult me and call me raz @cassie. What a typical nigeria, dstv is a sign of wealth and coolness. In secondary the so called cool kids taunted and made fun of others who didn’t have Dstv, nigerians and their mediocrity. SMH. In america people who don’t have TVs and people who don’t watch tv are regarded as cool.

• bruno

September 4, 2014 at 11:01 pm

All these problems like boko haram, spread of ebola, missing girls etc, its all the fault of the nigerian government, okay let me re phrase my sentence “this is ONE of the most devastating news I have heard this year” are you happy now, I don’t know why everyone thinks I’m a wicked monster. Kilode?

• Iris

September 5, 2014 at 3:08 am

Oooo it’s getting to you, is it, that people think you’re a ‘wicked monster”?

• Tru

September 5, 2014 at 11:01 am

Hilarious!!!

6. Tuu

September 4, 2014 at 8:58 pm

so sad!What is Fashion Police without Joan Rivers…

• ALS challenge

September 4, 2014 at 10:35 pm

The show is as good as dead already. Joan was the life and soul of that show

7. Anon

September 4, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Yes, I had a feeling it would end this way. Sad. May she rest peacefully and may God console her family.

I may now start to watch Fashion Police.

• anon

September 5, 2014 at 12:43 pm

U be crazy to make such a comment….well shows what your standard is anyway mtcheew

• Anon

September 6, 2014 at 1:05 am

Not as low as your standards I must say. It’s telling since you cannot spell. The lowest of the low. Some of us with higher standards like to buck the trend. But nitwits like you can’t understand.

8. AVID BLOG READER

September 4, 2014 at 9:02 pm

“I wish I had a twin, so I could know what I’d look like without plastic surgery.”- Joan Rivers.
    R.I.P to the funniest woman who ever lived

• Erik

September 5, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Lol, that’s really funny. May her soul rest in peace. Fashion Police is over.

9. MMJ

September 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

RIP.the most important thing is meeting Jesus and welcoming one in heaven.I hope and pray that your life would be as such.We love you but your creator loves you most.

10. Felinda

September 4, 2014 at 9:11 pm

good riddance to bad rubbish

11. Stephanie-Feld

September 4, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Fashion police will never be the same without her.

12. Mizzy

September 4, 2014 at 9:12 pm

R.I.P to one of d most funny women in d world. So shocked, tot she wuld Mke it alive. Love her n her works r great n wuld b remembered

13. Fashionista

September 4, 2014 at 9:13 pm

She was so talented! Rest in peace Joan, you made me laugh my ass off. Best wishes to Melissa and the rest of the family.

14. benny

September 4, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I feel so sad. So damn sad. Its really like I lost a relative. R.I.P joan. Id calculated the next 7 years wen u turned 81 and mentally prepared for it. I didn’t think itl b so soon. This is so sad. R.I.P Darling

15. Berry Dakara

September 4, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I feel really really sad 🙁

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 4, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Me too, just not in the way of missing her (because I’m not really an E! TV watcher) but instead just praying that she had that ability and awareness to prepare herself for the end. That’s the worst possibility I can think of when death takes you suddenly (as it did with the Malaysian flight shot out of the sky).

May God help us all to be ready to pass from this life to the next when the end comes.

• Berry Dakara

September 5, 2014 at 7:34 am

Exactly!!! It would have been one thing if she had been sick but she just never woke up from the procedure. That Malaysian flight shot down shook me to my core. Just hopping on a plane and no warning, no nothing, just gone.

• Chu

September 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm

MZ SA, methinks that you’re acloset believer. Your words sound like that but you never come straight out to bring God into it. Or maybe you just have high morals. Anyways like you comments gurl, always look forward to them. The world will most def miss Joan Rivers.

16. Halia

September 4, 2014 at 9:16 pm

oh dear :0( enjoyed her unapologetic humor…

17. strawberry

September 4, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Rip mam

18. Bliss

September 4, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Wooooow!! I,ve been checking updates on her condition since it was announced. However, I woke up this morning with a disturbing feeling that she wasn’t going to make it later. Four hours later, I get a notification on my phone that she passed. RIP Ms. Rivers. I pray fashion police doesn’t die with you. I bet God and the angels have been cracking up since u arrived heaven two hours ago. Adieu

19. nana

September 4, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Sad indeed. RIP joan

20. Uzo

September 4, 2014 at 9:29 pm

She seemed like she would outlive us all. A lot of people associate her with Fashion Police which was funny as heck but she was also a fabulous stand up comic. RIP Joan

21. @edDREAMZ

September 4, 2014 at 9:32 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    E! Fashion police will be boring frm nw on.
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

22. Ecnieca

September 4, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Such a devastating news,she sure knows how to crack one up.YOU WILL SURELY BE MISSED.REST IN PEACE JOAN RIVERS.

23. Donald-Landon-24 (formerly known as Donald-Landon before someone purloined it)

September 4, 2014 at 9:41 pm

‘I succeeded by saying what everyone else was thinking but didn’t have the guts to express it’ –Joan Rivers #RIP

24. Jewel

September 4, 2014 at 9:45 pm

This is very sad. Such a great loss. May her soul rest in peace. She was indeed a legend..

25. corolla

September 4, 2014 at 9:47 pm

The mean comedic is no more.

26. tayo

September 4, 2014 at 9:57 pm

RIP joan so sad #crying#

27. Mostest

September 4, 2014 at 9:59 pm

People have been getting very angry at some not too. Ice comments about her passing, but in true Joan form, she would say it as it is without caring whose feelings got hurt. She made fun of dead celebs too and it was funny to everyone. To truly honour her it should be okay to make fun of her as well. She lived to 81, she tried o

28. Mostest

September 4, 2014 at 9:59 pm

*not too nice…

29. Ehi

September 4, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Oh Joan!How would Fashion Police even continue without you,choi!You were different.RIP woman!!!-Your No 1 Joan Ranger….(Salutes)

30. deyrhounkey

September 4, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Saddest for me this year…will miss her badly rip mama joan

31. RS

September 4, 2014 at 10:31 pm

What a nutter!!! RIP joan

32. ATL's finest

September 4, 2014 at 11:03 pm

RIP to her! Fashion police will never be the same again..

33. paty omini

September 4, 2014 at 11:07 pm

RIP joan, we will miss u,I pray u make heaven, dats wat is more important.

34. Lerato

September 4, 2014 at 11:09 pm

RIP Joan. You will be missed

35. Tbaby

September 4, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Oh, RIP Joan Rivers, so sad. Fashion Police will be nothing without her, she brought life to the show. I will miss her funny talks n hard jokes. God be with you Joan.

36. shady

September 4, 2014 at 11:45 pm

RIP Joan. You died doing what you loved best SURGERY. U will be missed

37. Odion

September 5, 2014 at 12:13 am

@Californiabawler. I’m with you, true talk. All these commentators be tripping. People are murdered for no reason, unjustly over 200 girls still missing, Ebola wiping out families and some people r saying they are soooo sad an 81yr old lady died! OMG! they might even stop watching their “favorite show” on E! Her death is trending more on Instagram than the the two reporters slaughtered like chickens on TV !! Sheesh! SMH people. Y’all should tune in on CNN more, you might actually find something worthy of being sad for than an 81yr old lady who lived a full life.

• benny

September 5, 2014 at 5:45 am

Maybe you need to turn off CNN more and shut out the propaganda. Maybe you will have peace of mind and not live in the constant fear and hate the media wants u to. Try it; it works

• ada

September 5, 2014 at 8:02 am

everyone has a right to their opinion. you cant compare what matters to you to that of others. This is the major problem with the world. let people be!

• Funms

September 5, 2014 at 10:39 am

Hmmm. This “Letting people be” thing is used too liberally and generally. A lot of the negative stuff we all have to face today is a fallout of it. We should not be afraid to speak up when it is required. Not to put people down and make the next person feel their opinion is worthless, but to sway opinions and let people always pick the best options/position. If it needs correcting or reshaping, we should do so with love.

• O

September 5, 2014 at 10:23 am

Death is Death..irrespective of your occupation or Age. Its never pleasant hearing any one passed on even if the individual is 126 years old.
      The fact that people are expressing themselves about Joan’s death should not make you this bitter. You should not have bothered clicking the story then. You should have just listened to it on CNN and left it at that.
      This is a lifestyle blog, where everything(the serious and not so serious) is talked about.
      @ Odion and @californiabawler and your voltrons had better calm down. #rubbish.

If you are so bothered about boko haram and the american reporters, you should not be on BN commenting, you should be working with the Nigerian Government on helping out with Boko haram, Do same with the American government on stopping the terrorist from beheading more reporters.

Rip Joan, you would be missed.

• Syms

September 5, 2014 at 11:39 am

Thank you jare. Very well said…….. Many of them are just hypocrites. I don’t understand why some people just hate on other people’s opinion.

• Stephanie-feld

September 5, 2014 at 11:05 am

You are talking about people needing to watch CNN more meanwhile you are on a site that is mostly an entertainment and lifestyle blog: see the hypocrisy of your life! The problem is you and Californiabawler are trying to force down your opinion on other people’s throat. If Bruno or any other person expressed that this is the most devastating news to them; don’t they have a right to that opinion. Should they be forced to see things in the same light as you. I shouldn’t be surprised because Nigerians thrive on group think and herd cattle mentality. Any one who has a different opinion is looked down as crazy. Californiabawler expressed that she considers the last bella agony write-up, boko haram, more devastating. Should we all be forced to consider that the most devastating because Californiabawler and Odion says so. The beauty of humanity is that what devastates person A might not be the same for person B or person C. Lastly, every human being has a right to choose whomever they consider a role model or hero. It’s their prerogative not yours. If you and Californiabawler weren’t bothered about the passing away of Joan Rivers then you probably shouldn’t have bothered clicking on the page. You could have just easily scrolled to another page or visited the CNN site.

38. Achilefu izuchi kennedy.

September 5, 2014 at 1:17 am

RIP.

39. cuteflames

September 5, 2014 at 1:40 am

rip joan…

40. Samira

September 5, 2014 at 3:31 am

Ding Dong the witch is dead. She was an extremely mean spirited comedian. Many successful comedians make people laugh without making it personal……but she was the Queen of nasty quips. Nothing was sacred but if anyone criticizes her daughter’s looks or dressing, she comes out swinging and was known to try and use her Hollywood connections to destroy the careers of those who do.. Good riddance……I hope Satan finds her funny!

• Nkay

September 5, 2014 at 4:39 am

Wow…really?

• T.

September 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Too harsh, Samira! I know she was mean spirited and very unapologetic about a lot of her rudeness and unthoughtful comments…but it doesn’t call for your harshness…let her rest in peace.

41. keechi

September 5, 2014 at 5:32 am

Man this one hit me bcos I just watched her recent FP episode a few days ago and she was so full of life. Also weird coz as I was writing this post, I was watching a naija movie and in the movie, the person was watching FP and I saw her all vivacious. It’s really sad! RIP Joan! And to think she was getting better…

42. benny

September 5, 2014 at 6:00 am

And for the rest of you, members of the “who you can and cannot mourn for police”. This is a post about the death of Joan Rivers; people who love her will feel sad. They may not be rolling in the mud about it (just like u are not fasting and praying for the return of the supposedly missing girls) but this is a personality they love and they can feel sad if they want to without u coming out to blow ur pretentious self righteousness all over the place.
    Again, this post is about joan rivers; not about terrorism nor bombings et al. Perhaps you should go round all the other posts on bella naija and chastise people for daring to comment on “trivialities” such as Keke Palmer’s outfit and Angelina Jolie’s wedding gown when ur girls are still missing and ur journalists are still slaughtered.

43. Feirooz

September 5, 2014 at 6:46 am

I cant say Gone too Soon bt u will be missed a great deal..FP will never be the same without you.

44. Pray for Gaza Advocate

September 5, 2014 at 7:31 am

Joan Rivers should RIP.
    Just weeks ago, she said that Palestinians deserved to die even the civilians which of course include women and children that were casualties of the rocket firing drama.
    Palestinians say it is divine retribution.
    Only God knows…………..

• benny

September 5, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Looool. Only clowns will think an 81 year old died cos of things she might have said. Joan was 81. If she died at 75, she would still be considered as one who lived to a ripe age. She is not the one that asked them to support an organisation that uses them as missile bait. Have you prayed for the many villages being wiped out in kaduna and plateau by fulani cattle rearers?

45. ada

September 5, 2014 at 8:01 am

i loved this lady. Rest in Peace

46. Sugar

September 5, 2014 at 8:14 am

This lady inspired me, she is the quintessential “it is never too late to achieve your dreams”. You’ll definitely be missed.

47. kweenliz

September 5, 2014 at 8:22 am

Rip Joan! still young @81 #surgeryrock

48. jenny

September 5, 2014 at 8:38 am

RIP JOAN

49. Observer

September 5, 2014 at 8:40 am

Damn! Some people be really twiswted within.Someone died,say RIP and move on……Negativity wouldnt make her Un-dead.But its your opinion and you’re very entitled to it*shakes head*

50. FEEEEZ

September 5, 2014 at 9:17 am

@ Samira your comment was making a huge sense but why did you mutilate it by saying’ ”hope satan finds her funny” pls my dear dont judge like that so you wont be judge. RIP JOAN..

51. me2

September 5, 2014 at 9:43 am

rest in hell (RIH) few weeks back you (Joan Rivers) wish the innocent children of gaza death not knowing that you tym was right @ the corner waiting. whats gos around comes around.

• benny

September 5, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Joan is Jewish. You think she will be on the side of the palestinians? You can be neutral and wish the war and the dying children well but Joan is speaking as a jew. This is basically like me speaking about the religious/communal clashes in the north. U rily think il wish the people I see as my enemies well?

52. ify

September 5, 2014 at 9:43 am

RIP Joan Rivers

53. TANTRA

September 5, 2014 at 10:01 am

Rest in Peace dear. We will miss your witty sense of humour.

54. Mystique

September 5, 2014 at 10:19 am

oh Joan……..you came, you saw, you conquered. Rest in peace.

55. O

September 5, 2014 at 10:22 am

@ Odion and @californiabawler and your voltrons had better calm down. #rubbish.

Rip Joan, you would be missed.

56. sum1special

September 5, 2014 at 10:26 am

I would personally miss Joan Rivers,,,she always made my day.sad much..even if fashion police continues, it will never be the same without her.

57. AJ

September 5, 2014 at 10:42 am

RIP im soo sad

58. Vikkie

September 5, 2014 at 10:45 am

RIP Joan

59. POSHILLA

September 5, 2014 at 10:49 am

AWW I WOULD MISS HER LOVELY JACKETS AND ACCESORIES. REST ON JOAN!

60. Tru

September 5, 2014 at 11:02 am

I’m gonna miss her caustic wit

61. Nerybanty

September 5, 2014 at 11:15 am

Am so short of words. RIP Joan Rivers.

62. juliet

September 5, 2014 at 11:44 am

so so sad,RIP Joan Rivers,

63. olisexy

September 5, 2014 at 11:56 am

i feel so sad for her death , I love and watched her last fashion police show last week RIP Ms Rivers

64. gene

September 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm

RIP

65. Camaraderie

September 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I agree with @Samira, except the little bit about Satan finding her funny. Once again this over-exaggerated mourning of a Hollywood figure by Nigerians shows the hypocrisy of our lives. Joan Rivers’ brand of COMEDY WA SNIDE, SHARP,TOXIC, DISRESPECTFUL AND HAD NO BOUNDARIES. I mean, she made jokes about Kim Kardashian’s defenseless little baby?? That’s really low!!! If it were a Nigerian who made jokes of people’s lives and insecurities, we’d be all up in the person’s face. Because ‘it’s Joan Rivers” does not make it right!!!
    I hope her loved ones find comfort, but mehn i think we have one less toxic person in the world. By the way she died at a ripe old age of 81. Let’s chill.

• BlueEyed

September 5, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I just pray u don’t lose somebody to death, no death is “chill”

66. bruno

September 5, 2014 at 12:40 pm

67. Toyin

September 5, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Can’t believe she is gone, she ll definitely be missed by the celebrities she yabs, buh ll miss u more on tv making jest of their fashion choices. RIP Joan Rivers

68. T.

September 5, 2014 at 3:36 pm

@ Bruno, everything “in America…” Wetin? Biko, if you hate Nigeria this much, move out and do yourself a favour rather than rant every time.
    By the way, America is not the bed of roses you think it is!
    Oh, it is ‘typical Nigerian’ not ‘a typical Nigeria’. (Nigeria and other names of countries, people or things are Nouns and MUST begin with a capital letter). Your American folks should have taught you that! Call me English teacher, na you sabi!

69. BlueEyed

September 5, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Joan rivers was a brilliant woman, her season on the apprentice was the best season ever..business savvy and smart woman….still she managed to make people laugh….exceptional woman, would be greatly missed

70. Ms B

September 6, 2014 at 10:50 am

Oh!, so sad! . May God grant her soul a perfect rest!

71. Bel