News

South Africa’s First Gay-friendly Mosque Mysteriously Gutted by Fire

Open Mosque BellaNaija

Last month, BN brought you the news about South Africa’s first gay-friendly church called the “Open Mosque” which had sparked quite a bit of controversy.

You will recall that authorities in Cape Town, where the mosque is located, were planning on shutting down the  facility, over allegations that the building violated some city planning regulations.

The mosque was damaged by a fire yesterday night, Vanguard reports.

There were no casualties or injuries, and no arrests have been made.

Founder of the Mosque, Taj Hargey, expressed that he believed the incident was a deliberate arsonist attack. He alleged that footage from closed circuit cameras revealed some unidentified people who visited the facility two hours before the incident.

Police authorities are currently investigating the matter.
The mosque, which allows women to lead prayers, allows Christian worshipers, and welcomes gay people, opened  in Cape Town last month despite opposition and threats of violence.

1. Brain child

October 4, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Churches are burning down everywhere. People need to learn that God is everywhere and start praying at home.

2. chi-e-z

October 4, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Open mosque? – who thought this was a brilliant idea. I get making their Muslim faith accessible but really who thought this would work. I mean there was an incident where the girls in a school in Saudi,i believe, were forced by their parents to run back inside their burning school and wear their hijab and the poor girls ended up burning to death. If some of the believers of this faith would go as far as to let their own children burn to death b/c of a piece of cloth(which I as a non Muslim wear almost on a regular basis in winter to school, shop etc). This are not the type of people to tolerate a Christian or openly gay person in their place of worship. Funny thing is just b/c there is a sign of acknowledgement outside now it is a problem. It’s not like the Christians and gay (only God sees the heart) couldn’t have been worshipping in a mosque before the concept of open was announced.

• anonymous

October 5, 2014 at 7:05 am

Please think and try to analyse things, don’t just believe any garbage you read. So the parents were notified there was going to be a fire and they all gathered at the school, waited for the fire to start, then sent their kids they came to pick up back into the fire to get hijab that is compulsory for them to put on at all times in the school???? Please think before you write
      I live in the UK, I have experienced so many winters and guess what? People don’t use hijab, they use hats which is very different from hijab. Please think before you write

• anonymous

October 5, 2014 at 7:11 am

A simple Google check showed it was overzealous police. It is reprehensible that anyone would do that to another human being but to turn around and blame the parents just to give your comment more credence is very bad on all levels.

3. @edDREAMZ

October 4, 2014 at 9:14 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    I knw this mosque will never go untouched…… Sorry for them though….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. sugar

October 4, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Wich one is gutted by fire for dia? Dis is more like set Ablazed things! Open mosque indeed!

5. danzeelee

October 5, 2014 at 9:16 am

Ever since this mosque was constructed, I knew the muslim folks wouldn’t allow it to exist. Even if it succeeded, it will still pose a huge threat to the south Africans inhabitant. If we can’t change the islam ideology, it will be better we wipe it out. Islam should not be accepted in any part of the world.

6. misschyka

October 5, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Gay-friendly mosque or Gay-friendly church?

7. Mohammad

October 5, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Last time I checked, right to sexual orientation is enshrined in the South African constitution, a first in the world. I hope the perpertrators of this nasty evil are caught.

8. gift

October 5, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Gay friendly I dnt understand

9. jake ro

October 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Pathetic.at one point the world will have to make a huge decision about these evil people and their so called religion, cos they are trying hard to bring the world back to the dark ages.

10. Kuky

October 5, 2014 at 9:58 pm

The moment I read about that open mosque, I instantly knew it would not last. Gay mosque ke? Arrant nonsense.! Never in a trillion years. Islam no dey carry last. Lol!

11. iba

October 6, 2014 at 6:29 am

Arson things.

12. Tony

October 6, 2014 at 8:48 am

I really wonder why we always try to fight God’s battles. We all should acknowledge the fact that we have sinned and not any better than others. Just because one person does not act like me does not mean i should kill and destroy. These pharisees and sadducees hiding behind Islam and cutting people’s throats, while setting other places ablaze should clearly do that in their authority and not bring God into it.

How can one religion be so hostile. EYE FOR AN EYE would make the whole world blind.

13. okaro

October 6, 2014 at 10:07 am

I agree with Tony.

14. NubianGoddness

October 6, 2014 at 4:47 pm

WOW! I am surprised that Muslim people are accepted gay people to the mosque..I thought they are against gays..That is not my business (sip my cup)

15. Oladimeji Muritala Aderemi

October 9, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Alhamudulilahi, I pray that most non-Muslims will open their hearts and reasoned well before putting pen to paper.
    Just turn a glass cup upside down and see if you will be able to pour yourself a glass of water!

No matter how many times you do that, you won’t be able to get the glass cup fill with water.