Chocolate is good for a number of things – mending a broken heart, being the perfect gift for a loved one and making sure your skin looks great. However, we aren’t just talking any type of chocolate, we are dishing on that which is best for you – Dark Chocolate.
This type of chocolate is low in sugar and high in cocoa which is great for your skin. It is high in vitamins, antioxidants and minerals that nourish the skin and its conditioning properties also make it great for hair care.
So here’s your chance to get chocolate-wasted. Check out 8 reasons why dark chocolate is a great addition to your beauty regimen.
1. Some of the best ingredients found in dark chocolate include iron, calcium and vitamins A, B1, C, D and E which help deeply moisturize the skin and give it a healthy glow. Getting a healthy dose of cocoa-rich chocolate drinks or a bite of dark chocolate will get you that much closer to great-looking skin.
2. Cocoa powder is also great when it comes to applying it topically. All you have to do is DIY a sugar body scrub using olive oil, brown sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla and scrub those hyperpigmented areas for a fresh layer of new skin.
3. Dark chocolate usually contains Flavonol which is a member of the phenolics group that provides protection from UV radiation. They also aid with protection from redness, sunburns and other signs of UV damage to the skin.
4. It is is great for making sure you have fewer wrinkles and fine lines. According to YouBeauty, cocoa helps reduce stress hormones which then reduces the rates at which collagen breaks down. So if you have more collagen, you have a firmer skin free from wrinkles and fine lines.
5. Dark chocolate can give you the shine in your hair you’ve been waiting for. Simply add it to honey and yogurt then apply it to your hair. Cover your mane with a plastic wrap and leave it on for about an hour and then wash it out with cold water. You will notice enviably shinier tresses.
6. Dark chocolate is full of copper, zinc and minerals which are also some of the reasons behind hair growth. After the consumption of chocolate, there is an increased level of oxygen and blood flow to the scalp. This makes the perfect foundation of strong and healthy hair to grow.
7. Thanks to the fact that it helps the scalp get all the oxygen and blood flow it needs, there will be a reduced level of hair loss from the scalp. If you notice some form of hair loss, it is most likely due to prior damage to the strand. But not to worry, that strand will grow back stronger after your chocolate dose.
8. Flavanols are also great anti-inflammatory compounds found in dark chocolate. These compounds help reduce the level of inflammation on the skin and help with scalp infections that may occur over time.
How to pick Dark Chocolate
It may be hard to pick the right type of dark chocolate due to so many brands making different versions of it. So here are a few tips to help you pick the right one.
1. It should have a smooth surface.
2. It should not have dots or streaks and should not be dull in appearance.
3. It should have a velvety texture and not look greasy or grainy.
4. When you break it, it has to have a clean and firm snap.
5. If its aroma is chocolaty and sweet go ahead and buy it.
Do you have other yummy ways to get better skin, hair, nails and more? Be sure to share them with us!
Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Erik Reis