News

Singer-turned-writer, Etcetera Says “God won’t listen to Nigerian songs”!

etcetera-ejikeme

Singer-turned-writer, Etcetera is back with another thoughtful nugget, and this time is saying “God won’t listen to Nigerian songs“.

His article, originally published to his website – Etcetera Live, states that some Nigerian songs like ‘Shakitibobo‘ is “raucous noise“, “some of these artistes should be taken for mental evaluation” and that “This is now a SICK SOCIETY and, therefore, it produces SICK MUSIC.

Read more below;

***

Shoki hey hey Shoki!” cries a voice from the radio to the beat of a nerve-wracking pandemonium that seems designed to drive you insane.

A quick flick of the dial and “Shakiti bobo” is playing. The worse thing is that the raucous noise emitted by the artiste is no match for the loud, odious din coming from the beat. The lyrics are completely lost – which may not be regrettable to some – but the whole tumult sounds more like bad static than music.

I tuned the dial again. This time it was Olamide screaming “VANESSA VANESSA.”

As the last strains of the song died away, the OAP cheerfully and enthusiastically breaks in, “Yes, that’s for all you listeners out there. That’s the way we do it right here at your cool station. We personalise our playlist to make you feel cool.”

Cool kor, cooler ni…. I felt like telling the OAP that his choice of songs made me feel SICK.

This is simply today’s Nigerian music! Something is terribly WRONG with it! Yet millions around the country – especially the young people – listen to it by the hour. WHY?

What is there about this music that is so gripping? How can something so meaningless hold millions under its spell? Why does it serve as a common denominator – as “the tie that binds” – for so many youths?

Judging from how and what they’re saying and singing, it is easy to conclude that some of these artistes should be taken for mental evaluation! Music mirrors our emotions; it reflects our thoughts; it echoes our activities – it shows us the way we really ARE!

Most Nigerian artistes are confused and bewildered – or they wouldn’t sing songs about not being able to tell right from wrong, or songs which purposely don’t say or mean anything, or which try only to “embody an emotional state that points indirectly to marijuana and crazy sex positions.”

Music – just like other forms of art – is like a social barometer. A strong and healthy society produces dynamic and stimulating music; a diseased and decaying society produces sick and decadent music.

It’s a simple matter of cause and effect!

This is now a SICK SOCIETY and, therefore, it produces SICK MUSIC. It’s just that simple! Both parents and the young people are to blame. My point is, we all don’t have to be a part of this sick society – or its sick music.

Even talking about today’s gospel songs, many are lacking in purpose and quality. The gospel singers are forgetting that God believes in QUALITY. Look at the universe He created! He also believes in human improvement and GROWTH. “Become ye therefore perfect” (Matt. 5:48) and “Grow in grace and knowledge” (II Pet. 3:18), He commands.

God wants His people to grow in the right kind of culture – the right kind of appreciation for the finer things in life. He says that mature Christians are “those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to DISCERN both good and evil” (Heb. 5:14).

God wants us to EXERCISE our five physical senses. He wants us to learn what the true values for the enjoyment of the senses are. One of these senses is hearing. And one of the ways we need to exercise our hearing sense is in the appreciation of quality music. Quality in music involves, first of all, the way it is composed or arranged. Secondly, it involves how the music is performed. And thirdly, the setting (the place and occasion) in which the music is heard.

You attend a concert only to see artistes with a hodgepodge of idiotic noise played from a CD and the audience seated at round tables like they are in a canteen, screaming with mouthful of small chops and ‘samosas’ as every new song is introduced by the performer. What utter nonsense! What is WRONG with us? How did we completely lose our sense of value regarding music? Do we even know the purpose of music?

A mother justifies her daughter who’s listening to an obscene song by saying, “If you listen to the words of that one, it’s pretty rough. But it has a real good beat. My daughter says she doesn’t pay any attention to the words anyway.” Are we really that naïve? What erroneous reasoning! Go along with the crowd – even if the crowd is on the way to suffering, misery, pain, extinction? Do we think that these songs have no part in the tidal wave of promiscuity, venereal disease, illegitimate babies that are all over the country today? If you are one of those who like today’s Naija music, you ought to honestly and truthfully ask yourself WHY.

***

What are your thoughts?

1. EllesarisEllendil

July 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Come on!! Music does not have to be a certain way to move people. That’s what makes it special, the Ekwe and Ogene moves me more than it would move an Hausa Man, just like the typical Hausa music seems uninteresting to me, different tastes.
    It obvious the writer only listens to one genre and is super obsessed about it, FFS last year my most played songs were Devil in I and Oceans(where Feet May Fail), two very different songs, but Devil in I hyped me up on the track and Oceans helped me relax.
    Nigerian songs appeal to a niche, a very large one at that, I’m tired of hearing people diss them.

Etcetera should give K-POP a listen sometime, its noise to me yet it has its fans.

• Cindy

July 26, 2015 at 7:19 pm

KPOP is not NOISE ! 🙁

2. @edDREAMZ

July 25, 2015 at 2:25 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Mr man nobi by force to listen to those music, so if yu feel yu dont like then shut the hell up and listen to ur favourites ok.. Not feeling this post at all…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. omime

July 25, 2015 at 2:29 pm

I totally agree. Our Nigerian music is nonsense now, these young artists just mk good beats accompanied by jargons, mtcheww. I agree with him,jhor

4. agada Regina

July 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm

shut up dude! failed musician

5. Denice

July 25, 2015 at 2:57 pm

One must recognise the massive economic contributions of Nigeria’s music industry. Young men and women through hard work and dedication have transformed a less fancied industry into a viable and thriving one. Creating jobs along the way and millionaires born.
    But for me, all that comes to naught when you consider that we achieved all that at the expense of almost completely losing our values.
    It is difficult to always agree with Etcetra’s messages, but i quite agree with him on this one.
    Outside of the catchy tunes and beats, there’s very little left to take out of it. The lyrics are sometimes devilish, glorifying sex and drugs and alcoholism and everything wrong with today’s society.
    I feel pity for the youths of today, who listen more to these messages and are the most influenced by them. Take ‘story for the gods’by Olamide for instance, glorifying rape! What has come of us. I can’t even let my 3 year old son watch soundcity for a second, too many lewd scenes. Sex is now in and that’s why there’s so many single mothers. Society has definitely lost it’s values, and I dare say, pop culture is partly / mostly responsible

6. A Real Nigerian

July 25, 2015 at 3:12 pm

As much as this potty-mouthed halfwit disgusts me, I can only agree with him on this one. Nigerian music sucks and will only appeal to people with low standards (which happens to be about 98% of the Nigerian society).
    I find it hilarious when people like MI are showered praises and labelled “fantastic” because he is “different” and produces “good music”. There is nothing different or good about that guy’s generic, tiresome and recycled rap music. If someone like MI were in the US where the rap game is strong and with much higher standards, he’d be on the same level with someone like Young Thug or Wacka Flocka.
    The growing apathy towards the ridiculous Nigerian Music Industry continues.

• Ashley

July 25, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Good except the 98%. For such a high figure, you and your family line must be among. Trumped up figure.

• IAMUNDOMITABLE- Aisha Buhari Said So

July 25, 2015 at 8:35 pm

@Ashley, I like good come backs. Don’t mind the nit wit trying to form what I don’t know. This real shit (Real Nigerian) is probably from the ghettos of the ghetto. I no blame you, God punish who give you wifi.

7. Bayowilson

July 25, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Sincerely, following the music trend around the world, you would observe that we have really gone down our moral bar. You know, in the 80s, artistes sing songs about relationship and they are so emotionally and meaningful. They are clear relationship beautiful lyrics that can make an Ex have a re-think. In the 90s, I can not forget the days of Backstreet boys, Westlife, Craig Davids and others. Though these songs encourage early childhood relationship but no vulgar content expressed. Imagine that Usher song again “YOU REMIND OF A GIRL, THAT I ONCE KNEW”…….. or “BROWN EYES” by Destiny Child…………….or “HAVE YOU EVER by Brandy…….ohhhhh damn! I cant forget those songs. Even the Hiphop guys (likes of Jarule,Sisqo,Nas etc) are moderated and we still enjoyed them. This 21st century music is completely different from what use to make us (guys) remain in love with our partners. We don’t hear about love any more but Sex. They are songs welcoming, encouraging, and certifying sexual promiscuity. We now still dance to them because we don’t have alternative (or the alternative is minute). We are left “choiceless” to dance to them to unwind from the hustling and bustling Lagos holds. Really, i’m not condemning anyone o, but I feel really really sad that we miss those days and things have really fallen apart.

8. Yemi

July 25, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Dis guy should go n take several seats. He is just an empty vessel. He only criticize, he has nothing good to say. I think he is just trying to be relevant in Nigeria. By force celebrity. He should go and find something to do rather than sit on the fence and criticize.

9. kayla

July 25, 2015 at 4:45 pm

so towards the end of this article he writes
    “Do we think that these songs have no part in the tidal wave of promiscuity….” were u not the one that was supporting men who cheat in your previous article… telling women to “endure”…. I agree Nigerian songs( or rather most) are meaningless just like some articles written by you..

• Californiabawlar

July 25, 2015 at 10:46 pm

The promiscuity he refers to pertains only to women….

10. Yinmu

July 25, 2015 at 4:51 pm

First all, who gives this guy space in their papers to waste? He seems to have this hatred for Cool FM and most of their hosts. This Nigerian songs you write with so much disgust about, weren’t you a player in it once? Besides, no one have a memory of your songs as I know u more as an absentee artist than a real one. Nigerian artists need to do more no doubt but I can mention a number that their content is high up their. MI, Falz, Darey,Timi Dakolo. I listen to Olamide and I have all his album, not because I don’t know he’s content could sometime be explicit and “stupid” but truth be told, if I can move to his songs in the club whilst not alone in my car/house. For your info, some of us don’t expose our children to music with “Parental advisory: explicit content” written on them till they come of age! Abeg lemme listen to Shakiti Bobo jare before etc etc etc… spew another rubbish! Long Hiss!

• Chibarbie

July 26, 2015 at 7:40 am

You missed the point-the title says God wouldn’t like such which is the TRUTH. Sex and bedroom matters shouldn’t be public period! Our body is the temple if of holy spirit and truly no part of our bodies should be impure including listening to dirty words. The truth is that in our hearts we know that it’s wrong but we are so of this world that we can’t resist. Try listening to meaningful songs from the likes of sonnie badu and Nathaniel bassey, it’s like day and night, light and darkness don’t mix!

11. Yellow sisi

July 25, 2015 at 5:03 pm

I agreed with singer turned writer on this one,some of naija songs are kind of noise to me.I love music and the only way I feel it is when it touches my body and soul,but if it touches my head and it aches then I know is naija song.I give it Asa,Tuface,Brymo and the rest that write good songs.

12. Idomagirl

July 25, 2015 at 7:54 pm

This Etcetera is such a foul hypocrite. Some days ago he wrote an article justifying a man committing adultery based on nonsense like ‘we like variety’ bla, bla, bla….today he is all over the place talking about God. Did the same God not forbid adultery?

“Do we think that these songs have no part in the tidal wave of promiscuity, venereal disease, illegitimate babies that are all over the country today?”

This is rich coming from the person who wrote that silly article days ago. Infact your problem is more than hypocrisy. I suggest you sit somewhere and have a serious talk with yourself, there’s something not right somewhere.

• Eve

July 26, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Better person, I totally agree with you. Excetera or whatever his name is such a bitter writer. When he fails woefully at something, he goes on to critisize and castigate such a thing and isn’t happy when other people are successful and reaping rewards from the same thing he failed at. There are positives and negatives in any field in life and for this myopic writer, It’s only good when it conveniently suits him. Hypocrite oshi…

13. jojo

July 26, 2015 at 7:15 am

Angry bitter disillusioned man. Lots of unfulfilled dreams. Go get some therapy

14. Chi

July 26, 2015 at 8:01 am

Very true! My thoughts exactly. These songs nd their beats cause headache, but that is fair to compare with their terrible lyrics. Sadly ladies (that are mostly d objects portrayed wrongly in these songs) sing them nd enjoy them. I doubt the devil would listen to these songs sef.

15. UCEE

July 26, 2015 at 9:01 am

I think etcetera is rather contradicting himself. First, he justifies adultery and now he’s talking about God. U should know that the same God who wont like the kind of nigerian music circulating now wont also like adultery, no matter how u try to justify it. Simple.

16. The real D

July 26, 2015 at 10:07 am

Ok, as i was reading this article i was thinking maybe my memory was failing me, then i read kayla’s comment and then realized…nope it was the same dude that wrote an entire article about women accepting infidelity as a norm. Now see him throwing Bible passages in our face. FADA LAWD!!!! shish o well…
    I am not opportune d to listen to many Nigerian music so i can’t say i relate or have any input of significance to make but eh eh even in the West, lyrics are getting more and more risque and some even violent. It is a worldwide phenomenon, not that that makes it ok but just saying it is not only Nigeria(ns) that people are focusing on beats for sale as opposed to good lyrics.

17. nnenne

July 26, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Song writers are seriously needed in Nigeria.
    Our beats are good, the language does not matter much. Our musicians must understand the importance of well written songs and arrangements and that the singer can’t do it all.

18. akissi

July 26, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Please what is the Nigerian meaning of OAP? I know this means ‘old age pensioner’ in the UK, but i don’t think this is what is means on this blog

• Idomagirl

July 26, 2015 at 7:55 pm

It means “On Air Personality” another name for radio presenter…

19. Taiwo salisu

July 26, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Please, how does this guy get money to pay for Internet.???

20. akissi

July 26, 2015 at 9:59 pm

thanks idomagirl 🙂

21. Manny

July 27, 2015 at 4:44 am

I agree with several of his points. #1 Music is indeed a social barometer. It influences and reflects culture. An abundance of vacuous music = an abundance of vacuous minds.
    #2 The setting —- someone please explain to me the round tables, overfed patrons and small chops at a concert??