Style

My Style: Akin Faminu

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015052Let your style express your personality because your personality isn’t the first thing people see, your style is” – Akin Faminu

It’s time for another fabulous edition of My Style – our monthly BN Style feature that aims to celebrate the unique style of our amazing BN readers.

The My Style page is all about showing how diverse and universal style can be. Style is individual, unique and fun and is a personal representation of how each person expresses their take on fashion; so BN Style watchers let’s appreciate his unique style. 🙂 Enjoy!

***

Our stylish My Style star for this month is menswear enthusiast – Akin Faminu. A medical student at the college of Medicine, University of Lagos, a fashion stylist and a men’s fashion blogger at AkinFaminu.com, Akin believes that before anyone gets to meet you, they meet your style first.

He was born and raised in Lagos, Nigeria, and has always been science inclined since his days in secondary school, but then he also always had a burning passion for fashion and art. As the years went by, he learned how to combine both passions and knows in the end what matters most in passion and motivation.

You can tell Akin has a love for the suave and dapper things in life from his collection of suits and formal wear, and we just know the fellas are going to enjoy this one.

Check it out!

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015001

My Style Is…
…dapper, exquisite, and original. It’s easy going, interesting and detailed…very detailed. I pay attention to the smallest details, the buttons, shoelaces, cuff links, everything because details, I believe make the difference.

It reflects my person and it revolves around with the dynamics of fashion tapering from vintage to contemporary. It’s more minimalist than extravagant because I believe it’s not until you’ve spent extravagantly that you’re fashion forward, your Style is what matters.

Where Style Meets Personality
I would describe my personality as outgoing and confident and my style furthermore fuels my confidence. A ‘dapperly’ dressed man oozes confidence without having to speak at all. My personality depicts originality, creativity, flexibility, open-mindedness and an overall appreciation of aesthetics, and my style has a part to play in all of that.

Where I Shop Till I Drop
I am not very selective when it comes to shopping. I’m rather open-minded, and not too extravagant. I shop where I see quality stuff that suits me and I do a lot of online shopping as well, because going from store to store is quite time consuming and I don’t really have a lot of time on my hands.

I like to shop Nigerian as much as I can. Asos, River Island, Next, TopMan, Debenhams, H&M etc are some of the stores I visit regularly.

My Cut
I’ve been wearing a fade for as long as I can remember lol. It’s become a signature hairstyle sort of, and it’s by far my favorite. I wear hats too, a lot, so many a time my hair is covered.

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015008 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015011

How I Accessorize
Details! This is my favorite part of getting dressed because the importance of details cannot be over emphasized. From the ties to the pocket squares, the collar tips, the brooches, the lapel pins, the collar chains, the wrist watches, the shoes, the satchel bags; they have to be spot on if you’re nailing that outfit!

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015027 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015033 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015022 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015019 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015021 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015009 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015007 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015002

I Own the Night
Now this is where you go super stylish. Most of the events are usually at night so you want to look impeccable. If it’s a dapper or casual look I’m picking for the night, I’d do it well.

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015018 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015054 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015014 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015026 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015027 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015034 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015028

On a Regular Day
I really love being as free as possible on my casual days because dapper does it for me on other days. I’m a sucker for prints, florals and vintage shirts. I usually have a hat on with glasses when it’s sunny. I keep it simple really.

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015002 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015005 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015009 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015035 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015033 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015032 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015031 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015022 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015041 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015049

Shoes & Feet + Bag Life

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015015 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015017 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015016 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015003 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015011 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015010

The Rare Traditional

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015029 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015039

Getting My “Working Class Guy” On
“Dapper” is the key word here! I like to appear neat and proper when I’m at work…or well school in this case, and it’s a hospital environment as well. I pay a lot of attention to the details, everything’s important. I love vintage and print ties so you’d see me in those mostly. I don’t like to look too simple either so every chance I get to have a waist coat or a blazer on I do.

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015036 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015028 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015034 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015031 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015008

My Must-Haves I Think Every Guy Should Have
Well, the basic essentials that every stylish guy should have isn’t a particularly long list. Simple and high quality buttoned down shirts, granddad collared shirts, casual polos, properly fitted trousers and chinos, sweaters, denim jackets, casual shoes like sneakers, brogues and the like, dress shoes like oxford lace-ups, double strap monk shoes etc.

I would also recommend burgundy details – ties, lapel accessories, pocket squares, socks etc and HATS! They’re the icing on the cake.

My Advice for Other Style Lovers
Your style is an expression of your personality and you have to be original about it. while going casual, don’t be too laid back about it, make sure your outfits are properly fitted, not overly fitted. You’re allowed to be minimalist, it’s not until you’ve spent extravagantly that you’re fashion forward. Express yourself, be principled and be original.

If I Could Steal A Celebrity’s Wardrobe
Now this would be a combination of David Beckham and Pharell Williams. Becks has it all, from ultra dapper to laid back casual, the stunning red carpet outfits, the shoes, the details, he is a stunner; and I would take all of Pharell Williams hats!!!! Those two are original and that’s what I like about their style.

Plain Backgrounds

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015024 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - January2015023 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015013 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015014 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015035 My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015036

Which Celebrity Stole My Look
I really cant tell. I don’t exactly compare my styles to others, I just try to be myself; but I admire the likes of D’banj, Uti, Mai Atafo and a host of others.

My Style Philosophy
Be daring, be different, be impractical. Let your style express your personality because your personality isn’t the first thing people see, your style is.

My Style Akin Faminu - Bellanaija - July2015012

Thank you to Akin for sharing his amazing style with us. Follow him for more of his style on Instagram: @AkinFaminu | Send him and e-mail: [email protected]

________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you are interested in appearing in the My Style feature, simply send two pictures of yourself or that of a friend depicting a typical day and night look with a short summary of your style to style(at)bellanaija(dot)com. When your entry is approved, you will be required to send in more pictures and personal commentaries on your style or that of your friend as the case may be!

1. fteemah

July 23, 2015 at 2:16 pm

waoh’ luvly pics

2. DatEnuguChic

July 23, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Hmmmm………….different but interesting. He is such a young man but prefers something more dated and classic. Not for me though but different is good cos it shows variety of human taste and preferences.

3. sonia paloma

July 23, 2015 at 2:35 pm

He has it all, Style, Looks, Pose, Catchy dress sense that puts a smile on one’s face. Honey, you are definitely SLAYING!!!. 100/100
    Btw, I think you are in the wrong profession , *sips tea* you should be a FULL time style consultant/personal stylist.

• S!

July 23, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Wearing a trench in Lagos? I give up!

4. londongirl

July 23, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Lovely style Akin! you look absolutely smashing

5. Ashley

July 23, 2015 at 2:56 pm

See what Denola Grey has caused. Haha. The only thing I don’t like are the socks with skinny and cropped trousers. A brain box is very attractive (Medical student.)

• Matilda

July 23, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I thought the same too…. he has a great sense of style, but the socks with the casual shoes don’t work…. at least not for me

6. Gorgeous

July 23, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Yoruba boys can fine for Africa. I love love love. And he looks like a man. Not wearing strange color clashing clothes. Classic Man

7. La'Shonda Balogun

July 23, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Its crazy – he’s more into clothing, details and accessories than me! But I can’t deny it – one of the most stylish guys I’ve seen. I love all nearly all the looks – sometimes it a bit ‘extra’ but a lot of the time its quite fresh and exceptionally well put together. Kudos!

8. Mymind

July 23, 2015 at 3:38 pm

SHARRRRP! Love it!!!! That danshiki-Jean combo is business! Also like how BN featured a guy for a change…

9. Tiwalade

July 23, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Na so so suit?abeggi,park well joor,dis is over serious ,aw abt mixing it up wit linen shirts& shorts,.

10. Toma

July 23, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Love his versatility and eclectic style. Very original without being camp!

11. Abena

July 23, 2015 at 4:23 pm

http://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/My-Style-Akin-Faminu-Bellanaija-January2015009.jpg – the ring tho……..too many men trying to overdo this metro sexual.
    Personally i dont fancy my men to be overly dressed like him,i like them laid back, neat, “normal looking”..
    He is a medical student?funky doctor yea

• aj

July 25, 2015 at 1:22 am

I agree with you…He is always looking too dressed up. I prefer casual and when going for an event then the dressing up can happen.

12. patrick

July 23, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Wo! this is work oooo…chai!!!! its really nice but i cant shout!

13. Thank you Akin

July 23, 2015 at 4:29 pm

*singing* Classic Mannnnnnn…… Shout out to all the brothers that dress well and smell niceeeeeee. God keep you blessed.

14. Nfii

July 23, 2015 at 4:33 pm

He is a striking looking lad.

15. CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIQUE

July 23, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Niccee…Well assembled!

16. Ebony1

July 23, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Swooon swooon love his style. We both have the same male fashion icons. I perfer my man a little more rugged but i def get his style. Well done!!!

17. Tee

July 23, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Nne his girlfriend better bring her A game loool he outdresses most females i know including me!! Stunning without being overly pretentious or label/goldchain etc crazy..nice one!!

18. Nee

July 23, 2015 at 5:02 pm

nice…but i wouldn’t want to go out with a guy looking too stylish. u wan take my fans? ah ah

19. Mahka

July 23, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Hats out to him,he s got style n brains to go..Thanks for not giving us awkward leg poses and pouts. I bet he smells nice too….love this!

20. prince

July 23, 2015 at 5:10 pm

DAMN!!! I love your style. Good one bro

21. Onetallgirl

July 23, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I love his looks but I know I could never date a guy that dresses up all the time. I have no style whatsoever! Lol. Even his casual wear is dressy. I like a man who can wear dress shoes when he needs to but can wear sneakers when he goes to get ice cream with me!

22. My opinion

July 23, 2015 at 6:20 pm

I think he dresses better than Denola, his outfits are better put together.

• BlueEyed

July 23, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Denola should be somewhere taking notes from this young man.

23. trudy

July 23, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Hey Akin! Marry me! lmao… I swear I’m gorgeous

24. Sammy Gatsby

July 23, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Nice one Faminu!

25. bolaji

July 23, 2015 at 6:32 pm

covenant stand up! we can see the root of your dressing, born and raised in covenant university. Hebronite!

26. IjawGeh

July 23, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Hehe.. On a normal day sweetie, You’re not just simple. Haha! First, I enjoyed that view. Eh the one where You represented the Yoruba culture.. (Black hat & a blue ripped jean! Mad, mad.. The reipped jean was just what the outfit needed to tell the story) You dress real neat and expressive. But then don’t let it draw all your attention and end up being majorly a “suit person” with nice shoes. Style itself should be on the flow anytime , with any outfit. Mix it up! From tribal prints jean to straight up caps.. From pointed shoes to snickers… The flow is nice, enlarge it.. You can wear a simple polo with a denim jean and snickers and look okay.. The whole style comes when You add a corner chain to the jean, Stylish lace on the shoes and still look simple but dead good. The hair style too, it shouldn’t always be ehh thesame. Even if it’s low cut, there’re different styles.. Don’t let the shops give You your style and everything just looks perfecto with the trend in the shop.. Naah, take from theirs when You need too and mix your own ideas.. Nice still…keep going Fine pikin. :*

27. Yebo

July 23, 2015 at 7:52 pm

This is good. Dressing is more important than we sometimes realise. Fashion is not only for women.

28. Abby

July 23, 2015 at 8:29 pm

The future patients though *cough cough* 🙂

29. purpleiciousbabe

July 23, 2015 at 8:34 pm

i enjoyed it. x
    He gets it.

30. babygiwa

July 23, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Waohhh! Very sharp and confident style. Me likey. See his fine face…. Swag for dayyyyssssssss

31. Tosin

July 23, 2015 at 9:13 pm

This is serious! Like, seriously cool.

32. Akin Faminu

July 23, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Thank you so much everyone, really appreciate your comments. They mean a lot.

33. EllesarisEllendil

July 24, 2015 at 1:44 am

No details for his barber. *Sigh* my search continues.

34. Nawa oh!

July 24, 2015 at 4:53 am

Trench coat in hot/humid Nigerian weather????? #ijustcant

35. Priscy

July 24, 2015 at 10:13 am

I like…vintage everything

36. Alert!

July 24, 2015 at 10:44 am

Aha! Step aside Denola!

37. Alert!

July 24, 2015 at 11:06 am

Aha! Step aside Denola! i like this one!

38. Darey

July 24, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Yes! Finally! Been a huge fan of Akins style for a while now and this is very well deserved. Proud of him. And I remember reading the trench coat post on his blog, he said it was for his readers abroad for winter style I guess. But even at that, his style is perfection. Nice one BN

39. Sugar

July 24, 2015 at 4:32 pm

My boyfriend uses a tie clip and i always thought in my head that this is old school Bae.
    Now i have to keep my mouth shut because it seems am the olodo here always condemning his tie clip. I totally give up, he can continue with his tie clip after ive seen it here

40. Playa

July 24, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Dude you killed it

41. Terver Ayaka

July 27, 2015 at 5:24 pm

he killed it

42. Koffie

July 27, 2015 at 7:16 pm

He’s so my type even though I can’t dress from here to here. lol crisp and you should totally keep that hairstyle, I like the idea of a signature look even though I prefer signature bald. Kai, I’m sending this webpage to my younger brother.One of us deserves dress sense, lol.

43. an angel from style God

August 2, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Nigerians need to understand that style has nothing to do with suits. Suits just show you’re a classy person, style evolves around your lifestyle, its an art. I hate suits but I could wear this niggas suits and look way better than him, that’s me just trying to be classy. You ever notice that nobody calls kanye stylish when he’s in suits. He’s only stylish when we see him in his ripped jeans, chelsea boots, yeezy boosts, bomber jackets, so I really don’t understand why any nigga that wears a suit in this country is considered stylish, the realest stylish dudes are the ones that think out of the “whole suit box” and wear something different. That’s what style is all about. Y’all should check out tseyii emami/ toluthecreator / tivere_hilfiger/ _supreme_nt_ on IG and you’ll understand what I’m talking about I never really liked any of them cuz they seem weird but they’re actually cool lads and they should be the definition of style not this nigga or denola grey please

44. LOVE AJAGBE

December 26, 2015 at 7:29 am

YOUR STYLE IS UNIQUE. KEEP IT UP!

45. comrade_mj

February 17, 2016 at 12:00 am

Very Good styles and pose……. see you at the very top.