Style

BN Beauty Has the Answer to Nigeria’s Most Googled Beauty Question – “How Can I Make Hair Feel Soft?”

BN Beauty - BellaNaija- August 2015The quest for perfect beauty is a never-ending one. From finding out what ‘Strobing‘ is to discovering how many kitchen items you can use to get glowing skin – the questions keep rolling in. That is why Google.com decided that towards the end of each year, they will let you in on the top beauty questions being asked out there.

With the click of the ‘Search’ button, Google has the one beauty-related question Nigerians ask the most, and that is – “How Can I Make Hair Feel Soft?”

Today, BN Beauty is going to dish out the answer.

Now, there are many ways to get soft hair and a number of products that can help out. You can achieve this through a number of ways like conditioning, using various treatments and more. Let’s take a look at using a conditioner and some natural treatments we hold dear.

Conditioning

BN Beauty - BellaNaija - August 2015003
Conditioning your hair is a great way to add moisture after your strands have been stripped of its natural Sebum post-shampoo. Get a very rich conditioner e.g one containing shea butter; and apply that generously to your hair. When you’re sure your hair is completely drenched in the conditioner, wrap it up and cover with a shower cap.

A great trick I learned from hairstylist Tippi Shorter (Global Artistic Director for Textured Hair, Aveda) is to get a hand towel, dampen it with water and place in a microwave for 20 seconds. Please note it should not be left in the microwave for more that the stipulated time. When you bring it out, wrap it over the shower cap and leave for about 5-8 minutes. This acts as a make-shift steamer for the hair strands, which helps open up the cuticles and lets the conditioner penetrate the hair follicles.

After you’re done, remove the towel and shower cap and rinse hair with cold water. After this you can continue your treatment as you usually would. You can  follow this treatment with a leave-in conditioner for longer lasting soft and supple hair.

Natural Treatments
I get it, sometimes you just want to let nature work it’s magic on your tresses. So, here are  a few natural treatments to get soft hair.

Coconut Milk Treatment

BN Beauty - BellaNaija - August 2015002
This treatment can work great for your hair. It is good for protecting hair against the sun’s harmful UV rays and is packed with fatty acids and protein to help reduce breakage and damage, while getting it soft.

Simply mix;
1 cup of coconut milk
1 peeled and mashed avocado
1 tablespoon of natural honey

After you have shampooed your hair, apply the mixture directly and massage it into your scalp. Then wrap your head with a small towel (you may decide to pre-heat the towel in a microwave for 20 seconds) and leave on for 15 – 60 minutes. When the time is up, wash it out and style as usual.

Avocado Treatment

BN Beauty - BellaNaija - August 2015001
This is another great way to get soft hair. The avocado is a super fruit with hair softening, moisturizing and conditioning powers. Packed with fatty acids, protein and amino acids, it will kick dryness out and save the day.

Simply mix;
1 peeled avocado
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon of jojoba oil

Put the ingredients in a bowl and and mix them together until you get a smooth mixture. After shampooing, massage the mixture into your hair all the way to your scalp and leave it in for 20 minutes. When done, rinse out and style as usual.

Honey Treatment

BN Beauty - BellaNaija - August 2015
Here’s a sweet alternative to getting soft locs. Being a humectant, honey holds on to water molecules which makes for longer lasting moisture for your hair. It also has zinc, iron, vitamins and more nutrients that aid hair growth.

Simply mix;
1/2 a cup of honey
2 tablespoons of oilve oil

Mix the honey and olive oil together in a bowl and heat in a microwave for about 30 seconds. Apply it in your hair and cover with a shower cap. Leave this on for about 15 – 30 minutes and then rinse out. After this, go ahead and style as you usually would.

***

These are only a few methods out there and I am sure you have some secret remedies too. Be sure to share them!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Kiosea39 | Wason Yuyatmak | Avantgardedesign | Alexstar | Edward Westmacott

1. D...

August 26, 2015 at 3:04 pm

There’s also the cherry Lola treatment
    2 parts yogurt
    1/2 part baking soda
    1/2 part amino acids
    I also read that you can mix in your favorite conditioner. The yogurt helps condition while the baking soda lifts the cuticle. The amino acids helps absorb moisture. This is for both natural and relaxed hair… Works for my sister and I. She’s relaxed and I’m natural. You can find numerous tutorials on YouTube. Hope this helps 🙂

• whocares

August 26, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I have read soooo many scary things about baking soda and how it can permanently change your hair’s coil definition.. Did your curl pattern change?
      The other day, I discovered Kimmaytube recipe with Kinky Kurly Knot Today or any other conditioner you like. My life has never been the same. Day 5 and all I have done every day is just use my home made water, oil and conditioner hair spray mix and go to work. My hair is sooooo soft. The moisture retention is insane and the definition is not bad either. Point is water is your friend if you are working with low porosity 4c hair and that method helps me retain moisture. I just top it up with my spray and off to work I go 🙂
      @Ibinabo- Pele o. It’s not that bad really. Just add water, and get products with moisture in them. I also swear by red morrocan clay. Ahh that is the stuff of angels I tell you. But that’s to deep cleanse your hair, although it conditions too.

• MIST

August 26, 2015 at 5:06 pm

‘The other day, I discovered Kimmaytube recipe with Kinky Kurly Knot Today or any other conditioner you like. My life has never been the same.’

Kindly share the link to this discovery please and also where do you get the red morrocan clay form?

• whocares

August 26, 2015 at 5:29 pm

@ Mist- blackhairinformation.com/hair-care-2/hair-treatments-and-recipes/moisturizing-treatments/kimmaytubes-leave-in-conditioner-recipe/

I replaced the jojoba oil with almond oil, and aloe vera juice with gel.. You can replace things as you wish and as your hair likes them, except for the aloe vera. For me KKNT is an essential as my hair tangles a lot and it gives it this nice, sleek, moisturised look. So if you cannot get KKNT, use your favourite leave in conditioner. I buy my clay online. If you have access to amazon, go for Ghassoul red moroccan clay. If not, I honestly dont know, im sorry. This is just a leave in recipe not a deep conditioning recipe. So you should have washed your hair, and conditioned using one of the above methods, or any method that suits you, then use this to lock in moisture. it really works.
      If you do try it, try not to use the whole batch all at once (if your hair is that full, go for it) but the aloe vera gel used too liberally leaves white residues on the first day of a twist out.. by the end of the day I was ok though.

2. Ibinabo

August 26, 2015 at 3:43 pm

This thing is stressful jor.. I can’t even comb my 3 months old hair how much more 6 months…

• MIST

August 26, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Don’t comb your hair dry, its a huge no no for any natural hair person., spritz a little water on it to dampen it before you comb it and also always make sure to you a moisture retention product this will keep your hair moisturized and make it more manageable.

3. naturalhairbeautifulstress

August 26, 2015 at 5:20 pm

It takes work but once you find your routine you’ll be fine, if you have sensitive skin (aside from your scalp) I wouldn’t advice any baking soda type of recipe, the important thing with natural hair is figuring out how to retain moisture in your hair without it getting greasy, for me I have thin hair so I use a the LOC method which is pretty much liquid:water, or aloe juice, rosewater, oil: I use olive oil,sometimes almond, I’ve heard people say grapeseed is good, and then a cream, so any leave in conditioner, or butter shea butter/cocobutter.
    when you sleep you must use a satin bonnet or silk scarf.

4. Blossom

August 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Do a quick wash with a relaxer. Yes. I said it. RELAXER. All you have to do is just make sure it doesn’t stay on your hair for more than 2 minutes. You’re welcome.

5. natu

August 26, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Shea butter is the truth.!!!

6. Mabel

August 26, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Castor oil really softens hair. I got soft hair from shea butter, but it also got really dry after a while. I swear by castor oil and co-washing for soft hair. Apple cider vinegar washes also strip excess buildup which does help to make the hair softer.

7. Tunmi

August 27, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Water and coconut oil

8. Anie

September 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Contact 08166243282 for Turmeric, Camwood, and citrus powder and Kaolin Clay at N300 each, all handmade and fresh ingredients, no chemicals, additives or colouring.