News

US TV Reporter & Camera Man Killed by Gunman During Live Broadcast | Suspect Shoots Self

BellaNaija.com

Alison Parker

A shooting on live television has left a reporter and a cameraman dead in Moneta, Virginia.

According to abc news, Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27, were killed in the field during a live news segment on Wednesday morning, while working for WDBJ-TV, a CBS affiliate serving the Roanoke-Lynchburg television market.

The shooting took place at Bridgewater Plaza, a recreational facility with shops, restaurants, a mini golf course and boat rentals.

An anchor at the station, Chris Hurst took to Twitter to reveal his shock about the news, and also revealed that he and Parker were making plans to get married.

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliff, says he doesn’t believe the suspect is a terrorist. Rather, he says the individual was probably a disgruntled employee. Policemen are currently in pursuit of the suspect on Highway 64, and have described him as “distraught.” Update: Law enforcement agents apprehended the suspect, Vester Flanagan, on Interstate 66 and Flanagan shot himself, officials told CNN. It is not clear whether he was killed or injured.

Photo Credit: WDBJ-TV

1. tosinj

August 26, 2015 at 4:21 pm

lord jesus save this country called ‘AMERICA’ … #SMH

2. Ebony

August 26, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Ugh!
    RIP to the dead.
    Can’t imagine what those watching the live broadcast would have been thinking

3. nunulicious

August 26, 2015 at 5:21 pm

when will america wake up and ban the guns ehn? ptshhhew. what a waste! I pray for comfort for those left behind.

4. The Buttery Hotness

August 26, 2015 at 7:10 pm

How truly evil and decayed can your heart be to walk up to people and just shoot them, because you are “disgruntled”? When will we as humans, respect the sanctity of life? The right to live and let live? America, ironically, is a slave to freedom.
    I pray that that gunman does not die. I know it is terribly un-Christian of me, but I want him to live and suffer for what he did to these people and how he has left families and loved ones grieving.
    I pray for the families of those that we lost today (the ones reported by the media and the ones we heard nothing about), that God will give them the strength and comfort they need to bear this loss.
    I probably am really sentimental about this story because it’s the first thing I heard the moment I woke up today.

5. Ada Ada

August 26, 2015 at 9:38 pm

I’m flabberdazed………..

6. kate

August 27, 2015 at 2:19 am

I keep saying it reporters should be given a bullet proof vest to wear. their jobs are as risky as that of the security force.

7. Ogbenituks

August 27, 2015 at 8:58 am

R.I.P but this Virginia governor has double standards of course he is terrorist he inflicted terror and pain on society Simple