Style

Funmilola Olurinola of Abeke Makeovers debuts “Oriki” – A Celebrity Inspired “Iconic Gele” Collection!

A while ago, BellaNaija Style let you in on a new way of wearing the traditional head tie – Gele. Created by makeup artist, Funmilola Irantiola Olurinola of Abeke Makeovers, these unique “Iconic Geles” are becoming  a favourite of fashion insiders and celebrities.

See fashion designer, Toju Foyeh rock them here.

Now, everyone can own an iconic gele as Funmilola debuts the first collection.

Titled “Oriki“, this collection of 5 pieces has been inspired by pop and reality TV style icons who have made their mark on the global fashion industry.  They have Beyonce, Rihanna, Kim Kardashian-West, Selena Gomez and Madonna, who have been given traditional Yoruba names which personify them.

What makes this gele unique is that it comes with a patent pending velcro strap, that fits your head perfectly.

See the collection below:

The Beyonce – “Abike” (The one who was born to be pampered)

Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015 Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015001

The Kim Kardashian-West – “Apinke” (The one who everyone pampers together)

Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015004 Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015005

The Rihanna – “Ariyike” (The one who you pamper when you meet)

Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015008 Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015006

The Selena Gomez – “Asabi” (One who was wished to be born)

Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015009 Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 20150011

The Madonna – “Amoke” (One who you’ll pamper when you get to know her)

Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015003 Oriki Collection by Abeke Makeovers - BellaNaija - September 2015002

To find out more about the “Oriki” collection, and the Iconic gele, call: +2348023772906 or +2348066896259 | Send an e-mail to: [email protected] or [email protected]

1. Abys

September 22, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Lovely gele but they all look the same to me.
    No variation….
    You name a collection ‘Oriki’, yet named after American pop culture influencers? *confused*

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 4:53 pm

# to appreciate this works,u ll ave to think deeply # They might look same but it makes it easier to know what the client want. # Its easier for me to get to the studio and request for Beyonce-Abike. She already knows what i want.

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 4:58 pm

u choose to be confused. Its all about fun and creativity.

• Laraba

September 23, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Lovely concept and very different. Definitely a show stopper any day.

However, i think she is just hoping for some int’l exposure and I can totally see Beyonce wearing this.

But my issue is she didn’t have to name the gele’s after them especially since an Oriki name in the yoruba tradition is well thought out before given and not even called anyhow. (My dad calls me my oriki when he wants me to do something for him or just to show off).

Perhaps she should have just tried Tope FnR’s style, keep tagging beyonce and kimK till they decide to wear it.

But all in all, very creative and i wish her well. Oh and pls Abeke kindly tell your PA not to respond to every comment, it leaves a very bad taste and does more harm than good.

2. Somto

September 22, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Your idea and execution is fantastic but we should learn to celebrate our own. We have worthy celebrities and highly accomplished people in Nigeira whose names you would have named your geles after. Just my thought.

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 4:46 pm

it does not matter if she used foreign names. Afterall Abeke, Ayinke ……. are yoruba names. #Ignore the names and appreciate the creativity. Thank you

• Angry entrepreneur

September 23, 2015 at 4:33 am

Madam, have you considered how your repetitively annoying comment can potentially drag your business through the mud?

Zero etiquette
      Poor communication
      Cannot handle criticism
      Heightened sensitivity

Biko, calm your tities. It ain’t that serious. Must you respond to everything in a harsh tone? I’m already uninterested in your collection.

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Its her choice in the first place. Afterall she used orikis- those are yoruba names.

3. Abeke

September 22, 2015 at 3:23 pm

The collection looks good. What’s wrong with just the orikis( Apinke etc) by themselves? Was it really necessary to add the boujie celeb prefixes? I don’t think I’ll see Rihanna or Madonna and think of Gele.

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 4:39 pm

appreciate creativity for once. giving the gele ,celebrity names is all about the fun and ease to identify what the client want.

• Kili

September 22, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Excuse me, who the hell are you?
      What’s with the voltron attitude, if you are a member of staff of abeke or a friend even, how does that mean you should reply everyone in her defense. Everybody has an opinion. Just back off.

4. mrs chidukane

September 22, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Well done, the Kim k gele is really pretty.

5. lala

September 22, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Whats the difference in all of them? they all look like the ties of a sweet/candy wrapper turned to the side or front of the head.They look good somehow, but might be heavier to carry than the regular gele.Weight distribution on the head, how come the regular gele was not given oriki names?

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 4:37 pm

though they look alike but it makes it easier to know client’s preference.

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 4:57 pm

not heavy at all. I have tried it once and it turned out good. I even prefer it to the regular gele.

6. anon

September 22, 2015 at 3:36 pm

ppl sabi complain sha. I bet if they use naija celebs, ppl will start complaining that they are too tribalistic

7. anonymous

September 22, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Nigerians and inferiority complex! I’m sorry I can’t deal. It’s sooo annoying. I can’t buy those geles for the fact that she named them after western celebrities. Whatever happened to our Nigerian celebrities.

I live in the UK, and when I speak to people in Nig, I hear comments like ‘you’re a big girl na, you live in Jand…’ excuse you? what’s the big deal in living in the UK. Seriously!

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 4:50 pm

ur bad. if u don’t buy,others will buy. check nigeria’s population figures ,you re just one (1) out of millions. learn to appreciate. # see the fun and creativity side of the work.

• anonymous

September 22, 2015 at 5:23 pm

please get out. Like seriously, do not be a nuisance! Thanks

• Benny

September 23, 2015 at 6:45 am

If you are from the company or a friend or the owner, you are doing a terrible job at convincing people with this silly confrontational approach. Tha hell???????

8. bb

September 22, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Nice concept, wrong labelling…. Oriki to Madonna, Selema Gomez, Beyonce, Rihanna, etc living outside your self. Embrace your history and impact the future generation through your work…

Stop giving people reasons to insult your creativity.

• iwalewa

September 22, 2015 at 5:02 pm

they choose and want to. # let them come out with their own creations .

• Mz Titilitious

September 23, 2015 at 1:31 pm

hanha u no dey tire? chai! u ignored all the warnings you should welcome criticism! Who will buy it? Beyonce, Kim etc ba? smh

• anonymous

September 22, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Thank you! Absolute nonsense.. Would these celebrities even wear those geles? I wonder what she was thinking!

• Nnechi Spicy

September 22, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Just watch out, Iwalewa the voltron is coming for you.

• Abi

September 22, 2015 at 7:38 pm

She already did. Voltron of life. If u don’t want constructive criticism, then hide you gele abeg. Nonsense!

• anonymous

September 22, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Hahaha. Voltron of life. Maybe we should name Solange-Iwalewa like they did their geles?

• Engoz

September 23, 2015 at 12:30 am

When you write it like that… Oriki to Madonna etc, I just can’t help but see the shortsightedness of whoever came up with the idea. As powerful as orikis are to yoruba culture, it’s madonna, Kim, Rihanna, Selena Gomez, lol you are singing oriki for. Damn what a disgrace! You have madam tinubu, funmi kuti, efunsetan, the so called creative team bypassed them so that they can probably hashtag Kim on Twitter and sell their product, lol. Before you know it we would start hearing Kim popularized the gele, something we have been wearing for ages.

9. PD YOUNG BILLIONAIRE

September 22, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Really nice but it may not look nice on everyone. #mythoughts

10. Tosin

September 22, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Super Cool!

11. brown-ice

September 22, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Who else thought that the black gele would go with a black lipstick on the model? And what is iwalewa’s deal though? Always in people’s responses. Are you their manager abi media consultant? Let people air their views abeg

12. Engoz

September 22, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Hmm what if you had named the collection in respect to female Nigerian greats- Funmi Kuti, Margeret Ekpo etc, you would have used it to highlight the great work they did for Nigerian women. Won’t Nigerian women still buy it? When did Nigerian women ever needed foreigners to revitalize or showcase our traditional fashion? We did it stupendously well because we are fashionable in our own rights! No help needed thank you!

How is a Madonna and the rest of any influence on the average Nigerian woman? Unless you are trying to tell us we should go naked any time we are in front of a camera to sell our music or something?

13. Serendipity

September 22, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Madam Iwalewa aka Voltron……please stop prancing about the comments section. It’s not that serious. You’re welcome!

14. Bee

September 22, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Very nice concept! for people like me that cannot tie gele. I have spent several hours, days and weeks watching YouTube videos I still no sabi.

Also, are there customized options? because most Naija women hardly use gele more than once because each Aso ebi comes with its own gele, but maybe you can buy the standard primary colors that will go with most Aso ebi colors. Love it.

15. Siggy

September 22, 2015 at 7:25 pm

This Iwalewa is ABEKE Makeovers herself because the way she’s replying all the comment in a harsh tone, no wahh oh. Please allow people to make their comments about the gele, it’s their opinion,you don’t have respond to it all. Accept criticisms, it’s necessary for growth…

16. Abys

September 22, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Iwalewa, please take some panadol. You must be aching real bad.
    Too bad if you cant deal with other people having an opinion.

17. Ladonna

September 22, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Totally put off by the ‘names’ seeing as i’m not a pop culture enthusiast, patron of these in ANY form. The collections are beautiful,even if only ‘one note’..but yeah I won’t be buying because ‘their’ attitude is without couth ,probably influenced by those behind ‘their’ inspirations

18. Kili

September 22, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Excuse me, who the hell are you?

19. Yomi

September 23, 2015 at 1:10 am

LOOOOOOVE this! I think everyone who is so worked up on the name oriki or not is missing the whole concept I’m sure you wouldn’t have bought the gele if it was called apinke or Sally!

20. Benny

September 23, 2015 at 6:49 am

Because of these silly, myopic and completely lacking in creativity pop culture references, I won’t be patronizing nor supporting this product. The branding is atrocious

21. Nuna

September 23, 2015 at 11:27 am

Iwalewa you have just done yourself and Abeke makeovers a huge disservice! How you can come on a public forum like this and attack potential customers for constructive criticism like this is just beyond me! There is such thing as being civil and you need serious lessons in that!

22. Annienonymous

September 23, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Emotan, Tinubu, Idia, Manuwa, Efunsetan, Amina, Moremi – These names would have done your collection justice. Heck! even Genevieve, Omotola, Rita, Joke (our nollywood actresses) would suffice. I’m not a fan of these ‘avant garde’ geles anyway, so I wouldnt have had any plans to buy or tie, but a set of lovely indigenous african themed names for the collection may have swayed me.

PS: Iwalewa, do yourself a favour and go and learn about business etiquette. #noteverytimeyourespondtocriticism

23. Funmilola Irantiola Olurinola

September 23, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Hello everyone,
    My attention was just called to the comments section and what has been going on here. First let me thank you all for stopping by to read this post in the first place. Secondly anyone who knows me will tell you that I am open to constructive criticism and i believe everyone has a right to their own opinion and as such I’m sorry to disappoint you but i am not Iwalewa. As a matter of fact i feel that that person is trying to mess up all our hardwork by pretending he/she is fighting for us and attacking people. But it is alright whatever you sow you shall reap.
    To your issues with the Gele naming. I have taken note of all of them and I’ll strive to keep them in mind for future consideration. Do note though that most of the names suggested have been used by an indigenous makeup company on their products. I feel there would have been complaints that I copied them. Also Naija celebs may say we are selling with their names and give us issues and that’s why we thought to stay safe and use influences that are in the true sense of the word fashion icons for most people. Thank you for understanding. May your labour not be in vain.

24. Olabisi

September 23, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I’ve known Abeke since childhood and if there’s anything I can vouch for, it is her openness to constructive criticism and correction. I am sure she is taking note of all these corrections and will take heed.
    Funmilola, God bless the work of your hands and increase your creativity because this is your passion and I’ve watched you nurture it and seen you grow. Keep doing what you know to do best and making people beautiful in every sense of the word.
    To Iwalewa, whoever you and whatever is your motive, I plead and strongly advice that you stop sabotaging Abeke’s work with your unguarded and harsh responses.
    To every one that has commented so far, thanks for your observations and constructive criticism. This indeed will help her serve you better.
    Let us all celebrate Abeke and encourage her. Thanks.

• Lolz

September 24, 2015 at 1:55 am

Welcome back Iwalewa. Seems that you took a deep breath and decided to come back positive.

Hope this experience trains you to better understand market relations, constructive criticism and customer service. Customer service doesn’t only apply after goods purchase.

Hope you do well in your business.

• Mc Abbey

September 24, 2015 at 9:43 pm

I guess you got it all wrong because Abeke is not iwalewa,she just responded after all the positive and negative criticisms.

25. TheLadyWithTheAfroLocs

September 23, 2015 at 3:48 pm

i dont think Funmi/Abeke is Iwalewa…the Abeke i know has manners, she is good natured, she is humble and open to criticisms..omo daada ni(not said in a derrogatory way)….that said, weldone Funmi…
    this gele isnt for everyone sha…u require the right amount of “swag” to carry it…but i love the fact that you have been able to do something outside box, something unique and different from the normal way of tying gele…
    Weldone !!

26. Mc Abbey

September 23, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Nice one Abeke,very creative and relative.I think people raising negative issues on the name should learn to be appreciative first and let your criticism be constructive instead of the negative vibes..*Abeke has her story behind the names and characters hence the names so please don’t hate …appreciate. Kudos Abeke.

27. Jummy

September 23, 2015 at 5:42 pm

This is a welcome idea! The fact that you can look retro wearing gele and also be able to put them on and off without having to tie them is great, considering that I am a total flop at tying geles myself. I sure hope this easy styling can also be applied to our regular gele styles, as I am totally up for buying.
    That said, people, let’s appreciate the beautiful work of art for what it is as well as celebrate the brave attempt to stand out of the crowd, and stop the criticisms. It’s not meant for everyone.
    Keep this up, Abeke. The sky is your stepping stone.

28. Bisoye

September 24, 2015 at 9:18 am

Abeke oni gele ara……#breathtakingTransformation. Yea to everyone who love swag n desire to standout this surely is for you. I have seen it on so many celebrities and nonceleb it make sense gan ni. And the names of d geles are not actually bad…. I see d likes of Beyounce Rihanna Kim etc rocking d geles. Gele to badt…… Excellent

29. Tunmi

September 24, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Aren’t you doing the same thing by using the names of foreign/international celebs?

30. Lolade

September 25, 2015 at 7:10 am

Thanks to you all for your opinions. its really important to be criticised. Funmilola of Abeke is one that is open minded, open to constructive criticism and corrigible. She’s really playful and hearty. She’s passionate and this artistic skill has she nurtured with all diligence, she did this as a birthday gift to herself, she’s been able to think out of the box, she’s got a story to this as well.. She has also taagged the gele to the colours these celebs wear, kim/jlo do nude, Bey does gold a lot too, no one is perfect but shall learn through all the critics to get better. She has done her bit by not being idle and so she shall be blessed. Let’s celebrate her. It took us midnight to get home this day!!!

31. Mrs oki

September 27, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Looking forward in the nearest future to partner with you…..weldon my sister.

32. Mrs oki