News

Did “Scandal” Go Too Far Last Night?

BellaNaija.com

Olivia Pope ABC Spoiler Abortion*Spoiler Alert*
Please stop reading if you do not want to know what happened in last night’s episode of “Scandal“.

Hands up, who watched “Scandal” last night? We know many BellaNaijarians are hooked on the show which features Kerry Washington in the lead role.

Here is what happened…One of TV’s favourite heroines Olivia Pope had an abortion.

The entire episode was mainly focused on Mellie’s defence of Planned Parenthood funding by filibustering against a bill to make Planned Parenthood funding discretionary.

We never had a clue that Olivia was even pregnant and BAM, she was suddenly having an abortion.

The episode has divided Scandal fans. Some applauded the “realness” of it while others slammed it for promoting abortion.

People Magazine shares viewpoints from the 2 sides;

Planned Parenthood says;

“Tonight, the millions of people who tune into Scandal every Thursday night learned that our rights to reproductive health care are under attack. Never one to shy away from critical issues, [showrunner] Shonda Rhimes used her platform to tell the world that if Planned Parenthood lost funding for contraception counseling, STI testing, cancer screenings and safe, legal abortion – millions of people would suffer. And this episode wasn’t the first time one of Rhimes’ characters had an abortion, yet tonight we saw one of our favorite characters make the deeply personal decision that one in three women have made in their lifetime. We applaud Shonda Rhimes tonight – and every Thursday night – for proving that when women are telling our stories, the world will pause and watch. We just hope those in Congress – and throughout the nation – who are steadfast on rolling the clock back on reproductive health care access are taking note.”

Conservative organisation Media Research Council (MRC) stated;

“Hollywood’s liberal values permeate movies and television. Last night’s episode of ABC’s Scandal was pretty much an hour-long advertisement for Planned Parenthood. In the most disturbing scene, the main character has an abortion to ‘Silent Night’ (a hymn celebrating the birth of Jesus) playing in the background. This is Hollywood’s moral depravity on full display.”

We also had a chat with 2 BellaNaijarians on opposite sides of the debate and here is what they said;

Against
I am quite liberal but I was disturbed by last night’s episode. Olivia Pope is a grown woman who should have been responsible enough to use contraception such as the pill, condoms or even the morning after pill if she slipped up. I found it very distasteful that she had an abortion for no concrete reason. If she was sexually assaulted or if she was a confused teenager, I may understand but this just seemed like gratuitous liberal promotion of abortion.

For
While we may not have official statistics like they do in the USA, I know that millions of Nigerian women have had abortions. Seeing it on screen shows women who have been in the same position that it is not a taboo. We have a right to choose.

***
We will love to hear your thoughts.

1. Rolybaby

November 20, 2015 at 7:09 pm

“I found it very distasteful that she had an abortion for no concrete reason”

How about, I dont want a kid? That seems to be reason enough.

Its ideas like that, that cause women to have kids they dont want, aren’t (financially or emotionally) ready for, dont have time for and dont particularly like. Imagine your mother thinking of you as a burden she wished she could have gotten rid of, not the best environment to be raised in.

To those who say: they can have the child and adopt it out. Are you going to pay for the hospital visits? Perhaps you will be there during morning sickness, will you find her a doctor, pay her her lost income? Will YOU adopt the child. Or is that 20 years from now you will begin to shake your head at how many prostitute/ armed robbers/ unemployed people we have.

• swizzle

November 21, 2015 at 2:25 am

just to make a seemingly intelligent comment you conveniently left out where she said she should have used contraceptives.

• Rolybaby

November 21, 2015 at 9:06 am

Contraceptives aren’t 100% full proof and not everyone can afford an IUD.

• Anon

November 21, 2015 at 3:32 am

If it’s a case of NOT WANTING the child how about thinking of that when you decide to have unprotected sex!! It’s like when you get a job on the Island and live on the mainland….most mornings I’m sure you’ll sigh and say I don’t want to go through crazy traffic but then again you know YOU HAVE TO or else you might get the sack letter! Bottom line, there are consequences for actions and adults should take responsibilities for them.

• Rolybaby

November 21, 2015 at 9:16 am

You’re right, one of the consequence of unprotected sex, or just sex in general (mistakes happen) is pregnancy. But taking responsibility isn’t just having the baby or dropping it in an orphanage. Its looking at your life and analyzing yourself, the kind of person you are and whether or not a child is really what you want to bring into this world. For example: do addiction, anger issues, weird diseases run in your family? Are you mentally ready to have a child, would you make a good mother? Personally, no. Which is why I don’t have sex and advise others to use goddamn protection. But when mistakes happen, its not my place to preach, as its not my shoe hurting.

To continue with your analogy, thats why some people quit their jobs (abortion) until or unless they can move to the island and have a shorter commute (have a kid if and when you’re ready).

• Aghast

November 21, 2015 at 4:00 am

I’m sorry but this is madness? Not want a kid???? How can that ever be a legitimate reason? You don’t want another human being? A full fledged human being? A living breathing soul like you?

I’m done with people right now. We’re truly monsters.

On no grounds should ANY life be terminated.

• Rolybaby

November 21, 2015 at 9:22 am

O.o. Many people dont want children, many people shouldn’t have children AT ALL. It takes a patient, calm and responsible human being to teach a child to be a positive addition to society. To people who know themselves and understand that they dont have the traits to raise children, congrats, you saved yourself and some poor child years of suffering.

Should these people have children?http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/11/18/couple-keeps-nigerian-teenage-house-boy-as-slave-for-24-years-in-uk/

Can I ask a question (not just to you but to everyone)? Why do people seem to take it as a personal insult when others dont want kids? I know people who dont want children and when others find out they feel like its their place to convince them.

• Advocateeve

November 21, 2015 at 5:29 am

This comment is so disturbing using abortion as birth control is horrific. Those who are for abortion haven’t seen abortion. And yes people who adopt do pay for medical expenses. Giving life is better then giving death to your baby. bTW read row v wade the case still could not decide when a life is formed. According to God life is formed in the womb.

• Rolybaby

November 21, 2015 at 9:54 am

I’m not saying to use abortion as birth control. And to people who do that, they need some serious councelling because thats not normal.

I do know about roe vs wade. Its the reason crime rates went down 17 years later. When a woman wants an abortion, she’s not doing it for fancy, she has concrete reasons WHY. Once abortions were made legal majority of the abortions were from poor, single women who wouldnt have been able to take care of children anyway. They would have just slid deeper into poverty, taking any children they had with them. The children they aborted wouldnt have had the same opportunities and would have been more likely to be criminals.

From the bible Exodus 21

12 “Anyone who strikes a man and kills him shall surely be put to death.

22 “If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows

Even the bible has different levels of punishment for the death of an adult and that of an unborn fetus. I know that someone will say that the passage is being misinterpreted bit isnt that part if the point. If we cannot between ourselves, agree on the interpretation of a holy book. Should it really be the basis of civil law that affects ALL people.

• Rolybaby

November 21, 2015 at 10:00 am

The giving birth prematurely can also be read as “has a miscarriage in NIV”

• Just wow!!!

November 21, 2015 at 5:36 am

Yay for the 35 people who have murdered!!! They also liked Rolybaby’s comment! Thou shalt not kill, repeat after me: Thou shalt not kill.

• Rolybaby

November 21, 2015 at 9:55 am

Please see my reply to Advocateeve, specifically the lower paragraph.

• swizzle

November 21, 2015 at 1:46 pm

@Rolybaby, I really do not know what you are championing but people that are really serious about birth control have been know to use a combination of contraceptives methods: pills AND condom, condom AND withdrawal, IUD AND condoms etc. The pro-choice option breeds laxity and carelessness. Your argument isnt entirely wrong but it is not fool proof either. I salute your beautiful mind though.

• swizzle

November 21, 2015 at 1:49 pm

• gurl_wendy

November 21, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Errrm, an IUD is actually cheaper than you realize, in government hospitals its not up to 2k at all, it’s subsidized, fitting one in in total might not even reach up to 4000, and it lasts for 5-10 years and you can always have it removed when you want to start having kids again.

2. Ebere

November 20, 2015 at 7:39 pm

I like for once for us to look at in terms of abortion not being an option. What if once u got pregnant you just have to have the baby? Will women not do everything possible to make sure they don’t conceive if they are not trying to have a baby. A grown ass woman will take absolutely (sometimes) no precaution against conception because she can run into the next clinic and abort it. That’s the height of carelessness and irresponsibility. What if abortion was not an option? What will the 1 out of every 3 women that had an abortion do? Have the baby or guard against taking in! People just like to take the easy way out.

• anonymous

November 20, 2015 at 7:56 pm

In answering your question, they would still find a way to abort the baby. Unfortunately, I don’t see your scenario has making people more responsible. Before abortion was made legal, there were still backdoor abortions. Many women died.
      For some abortion is an easy decision for some it is very difficult and traumatic. Whatever the reason a woman should be able to choose her outcome and trust the ‘procedure’ will be done safely in a safe environment.
      AIDS, HIV, and any STD is enough reason for people to wait before premarital sex, no cheating while in marriage, and being responsible when they do decide to have sex but obviously even that has not decreased numbers of sexually transmitted diseases.

• funmi

November 20, 2015 at 8:19 pm

If you think having an abortion is an easy option you have to think again. All contraceptives will tell you that it is about 97%effective. There is still a chance that you will get pregnant. Even if you are on the pill you could forget to take one and that is enough to make your chance of getting pregnant high.
      How about a campaign for men to wear condoms and be careful in order not to impregnate their partner. I haven’t seen it yet. Better yet come up with birth control for men. We all know if men could also get pregnant this would not even be an issue. My body, my choice. You cant impregnate me and expect me to have the baby just because you’re pro-life. Its time we stopped shoving our ideas down other people’s throat. Religion fanatics, pro-life groups, anti gay groups, etc. Let God judge us all at the end of our lives.

• Nata

November 20, 2015 at 9:57 pm

thank you funmi, I can tell you from experience that even the most up to date method is not 100% accurate. I got pregnant with the IUD after 6 six long years so all these people saying Olivia could have use contraception are missing the big IF here., meaning what IF you are among the unlucky 3% or 1% in my case. So I stand on the camp that a woman should always HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE I DON’T CARE WHAT HER REASONS ARE!!!!!!!!!!

• Kenechukwu

November 21, 2015 at 11:01 am

I’m sorry I disagree with you. Telling men to wear condoms doesn’t solve anything. It is a woman’s responsibility to ensure that she doesn’t get pregnant in a consensual relationship

• Ibi

November 22, 2015 at 9:24 pm

But in Nigeria, the less than 20% of sexually active women are on contraception. It’s like abortion has become the contraception. Actually, the 2013 NDHS report placed modern contraceptive usage in Nigeria at 10%, We need to take charge of our reproductive health and our actions. It’s almost like people want to say “I don’t know how it happened. If you are active and not planning to be pregnant, stock condoms, give your partner, get norplant, whatever, do something. Your body is yours but life is life even if you choose to take it. Not judging or anything, but most abortions aren’t as a result of contraceptive failure and that is the truth

• Mabel

November 20, 2015 at 8:20 pm

@Ebere..There are many countries where abortions are illegal today, and women still try to have abortions through taking strange concoctions or even trying to pull out the fetus with various implements, jumping off tall places to induce a miscarriage and ending up dead in many instances. This is why the US was forced to change the law because so many women were ending up dead from back alley abortions. On the flip side in many countries with a social healthcare system abortions are completely free and part of the national health plan.

I do not know why so many ppl think it is teenagers who are the only ones getting abortions. Many married women get them too, and not always behind their husband’s back. Many couples have to make the hard decision together to abort a pregnancy because they just could not financially afford another mouth to feed. Another thing, do not automatically assume that a woman who has a child or children has never had an abortion, all the women I know who have had abortions are mothers today.

3. Me

November 20, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Yes to abortions!

4. Akpeno

November 20, 2015 at 8:19 pm

The act itself(Olivia getting an Abortion) was not shocking or offensive to me….

What was offensive and borderline blasphemous was using the hymn depicting the birth of Jesus during an Abortion. While her father(Papa Pope) ranted about family being bad and is a burden and calling the men he trained to be killers his son…. All this happening while Olivia was having an Abortion.

If you want to advocate women rights there are ways of doing it without being offensive or insulting people’s beliefs and religion. That was distasteful of Shonda, her editors and producers.

They could have sent the message RESPECTFULLY.

• G

November 20, 2015 at 10:12 pm

whoa very insightful and attention to detail on the irony,
      well i wasn’t surprised by Olivia’s actions she is power hungry, Huck actual detailed her character.. she,s a product of her parents, if only Fitz listen to Abi. Men seem to forget you attract what you got and if you attracted bc of her mind. Keep her mind working.. she’s not a housewife. Rem Olivia always found a solution meanwhile Melly kept digging a hole. If you afraid of competition find a solution for you all to work together. But the fact is this Olivia like Power i want to be with the big boys. all of them are selfish..

• Idomagirl

November 21, 2015 at 2:11 am

I found that very distasteful too. Shonda Rhimes (like most of America’s liberals) just loves to demonize and portray Christians as kooks (on her shows).
      I find it a tad hypocritical because they constantly preach a message of tolerance or respecting people’s beliefs but they have no problems with disrespecting Christians. And they like to accuse Christians of hypocrisy, the irony.

5. Le Bae

November 20, 2015 at 8:44 pm

So people still watch scandal?
    surprised *

• The real Dee

November 21, 2015 at 3:47 am

As in. I grudgingly stopped watching the top shows. Scandal, HTGAWM, Empire. I couldn’t stand the homosexual sex scenes and I was tired of Olivia screwing Fitz. It’s hard cos the shows keep staring at me on Xfinity on demand but I have to keep my spiritual sanity.

6. Tea

November 20, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Having an abortion isn’t an easy thing at all. Most women who have had one will tell you this. I once went to a hospital to get treated for malaria. From d scenario I gathered a couple or rather d woman just had an abortion. She was married like early 40s and came with her hubby,not only 16yr old school girls have abortions. It must be tough emotionally, plus anythn you even go under anaesthetics for isn’t child play. I’m not going to judge anyone for having one. Being a single mother in dis country, they get so judged. That feeling of shame and even how disappointed your parents will be with you, ur extended family,people at church etc. some ppl just decide to have an abortion bcos of d stigma of being a single parent. If people were more accepting I’m sure some single women will opt to keep their child, so far dey are financially stable

7. Marvel

November 20, 2015 at 8:50 pm

In the US where abortions are legal, some extreme anti-abortionists burn abortion clinics, intimidate patients to scare them away from having abortions, harass and physically assault doctors of those clinics.
    I believe it is the right of the patient to carry or not to carry. I teach sex education so the idea is to assist women prevent unwanted pregnancies.

8. Joke

November 20, 2015 at 8:54 pm

American media thrives on shock value because it brings the much desired ratings. Aren’t we all discussing it now? If they did it respectfully, it wouldn’t be being discussed all over today. I don’t even watch much TV anymore because too many bad values are being promoted. I appreciate the need for abortion, but it’s nothing good. There’s too much trauma associated with it, physical, emotional and psychological, so I really can’t support it no matter how it is “dressed up.”

9. dami

November 20, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Abortion is murder…murder is a sin. U castigate Isis&Bokoharam for killing, yet you support killing of a new life….such hypocrisy. May God have mercy on us all

• Truth

November 20, 2015 at 9:53 pm

A fetus is not a baby. As long it is not human yet. I support abortion and the tissues from the fetus can be used for medical research.
      Boko goats are trying to enforce their ideology on people by killing them. Abortion is an option and those involved are the only one responsible for it.

• Damseldami

November 21, 2015 at 11:47 am

My dear fetus IS a baby it IS a living creature

• Becca

November 20, 2015 at 11:00 pm

JEALOUSY is a SIN (Galatians 5:19-30)

LORD your God, who is among you, is a JEALOUS God – Deu6:15
      The Lord…is a JEALOUS God – EX34:14

Therefore-
      GOD is a SINNER

Such hypocrisy Dami, don’t you think?

• Me

November 21, 2015 at 6:24 am

????

• Sigh

November 21, 2015 at 9:24 am

Becca the atheist is here again.
      It is fine if you choose not to be a Christian, but you really do not need to be antagonistic about it. It is a free world darling, do you and let others do theirs.

• dami

November 21, 2015 at 6:41 pm

……….mind your interpretation of the bible…..need I say more?
      and Oh…….fetus is not a baby?……u wea once a fetus Ma.

• molarah

November 22, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Miss smartypants, in your haste to stir up controversy you conveniently or ignorantly mixed up 2 points:
      1. Galatians 5 does not have 30 verses, only 26.
      2. Nowhere in that entire chapter (Galatians 5) is the word “jealousy” even mentioned.

10. Olayemi

November 20, 2015 at 9:51 pm

People still watch Scandal? It promotes everything wrong. I stopped a long time ago.

11. Dean

November 20, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Personal opinions are subjective in nature, but the TRUTH is always OBJECTIVE in nature; whether religious, morally slanderous or sexually bias , unprescribed abortion puts the female folk in serious dangers; and that is after escaping the initial threat of STDs. Pls, don’t be deceived by hollywood’s satanic ” Alice in the wonderland” schemes.

12. Lol

November 20, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Honestly here is my reason for abortions.

If the baby has a defect and the birth of the baby will affect you or the baby.
    If you were raped.

If your are opening your legs for sex( which as a grown woman you are allowed to no judgment).
    1. You should be using condoms.
    2.if your actively having sex and you Dont want a baby from pls take birth control. CONDOMS BREAK THEY BREAK THEY FREAKING BREAK!
    3. No point in aborting babies for no reason that’s just cruel and murder to me.

Its always good to talk about it. Scandal opened the way from it.

• Lol

November 20, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Oh yea there is such things as adoptions. And there are people who will kill for their children just give it to them. The baby deserves a family.

13. Person

November 20, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Yes to abortion. A fetus is not a child. #end.

• Aghast

November 21, 2015 at 4:03 am

Is this a joke???? A fetus is not a child really? So I guess you weren’t really a human being yet when you were 3 weeks old still in your others womb. You were just a fetus. And a fetus isn’t a human being yet. I feel bad for you. Your ignorance is so upsetting

• Person

November 21, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Your ignorance is actually astounding. A fetus IS NOT a child. No matter how much you want a collection of cells to be a child, it isn’t.

14. niyoola

November 20, 2015 at 11:44 pm

How do people even still watch Scandal? Shonda is over-hyped abeg. I think because she did well with Grey’s Anatomy (which has been very shitty lately, without Cristina & Derek; and Bailey not getting enough screen time), she thought she could do it all. I am a die-hard Grey’s fan, I still watch because I want to see it to the end.
    Her shows are just too melodramatic …… ahn ahn, Unnecessary rollercoaster storytelling.

I don’t watch How to get away with murder because I’m almost sure it will descend to such levels also. She starts out good, but loses the plot quickly.
    Scandal is just filled with bullcrap, abeg. Unnecessary curves in the plot, irrelevant characters etc. I can rant forever abeg.

Shonda needs to do better with the plot of her shows. The idea behind the whole thing is usually nice, but wrong execution.

Scandal & Olivia Stans, please don’t jump on my comment. God bless you

• Tari

November 21, 2015 at 8:50 am

Please come over here, I owe you a good wet kiss. You could not say it any better.

15. Iris

November 21, 2015 at 12:11 am

First of all, after all the hype the episode was still as boring as mouldy bread. Borrrrrrriiiingg. Lol I didn’t even know I was watching an abortion. For some reason I thought it was a hysterectomy.
    Now, I don’t care for abortions but I don’t believe it is an easy decision for a grown woman to make so I won’t judge, especially in cases such as rape. However, when it is done please don’t hide behind the ‘it’s not a human’ argument. It is a human. You’ve killed it. Make your peace with it and move on.
    That being said, I think it is double standards. For a TV show it is fine because it is obvious that Olivia will always be a twisted ho who doesn’t want to or know how to be happy. For people in the real world however, how could she make the decision by herself when there was a father around who was capable of raising the child? If she had wanted to keep the baby we would have all said it’s joint responsibility because it takes two. Now that she doesn’t want the baby it’s suddenly solely her choice?

16. Chi-e-z

November 21, 2015 at 12:16 am

Dang I just had to read on. Thursday night schooling sucks ugh. Totally spoiled it for myself . My opinion on abortion is simple if that baby is going to die a far worse death like starving on the streets please take the most pain free method before pain sensory fully develop and set the soul free. If you haven’t had to walk 45 miles for three days each on a fully empty stomach you won’t get me but after I have I’d never wish a rough childhood of hard life and starvation on any soul.

If you would be the best parent or can find great parent/s to take of he/she/being go that route

but do not selfishly chicken out of what could be the best blessing you ever get. Kids are always blessing I only consider abortion because some parents are not so 4 the child’s right to be loved

• xta

November 21, 2015 at 5:38 am

Buh i’m guessing u turned out ok

• Dee

November 21, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Stop saying or typing “buh”.

It takes the same amount of effort to type the correct word. Plus you sound re****ed.

17. S

November 21, 2015 at 2:05 am

It’s the reality of most women, unfortunately. And only a man and a woman who has never been petrified by the possibility of an unwanted pregnancy will say it is a sin. Also, it is by no means an easy decision; and it is possibly not the easier course in the long-term.

That said, anyone who has studied the growth cycle of a foetus would be inclined to be against abortion. At 12,weeks, give or take, when many abortions take place, the foetus is pretty much a complete human. It has a heart beating away so those who see it as a blod clot to be suctioned are definitely wrong.

18. Idomagirl

November 21, 2015 at 2:07 am

The abortion added absolutely nothing to the storyline or the character’s development. It felt like an afterthought (oh let’s throw this in to bolster the debate).

The writing this season has just been off for me, the way the impeachment moves were called off and the American public didn’t react, Fitz sitting around basically doing nothing, receiving Foreign Policy advice from Liv, Cyrus or Abby. Doesn’t he have a cabinet or Secretary of State? Doesn’t he ever travel anywhere? Why is he so idle?

The whole show is becoming more and more cartoonish & unrealistic.

19. Marc Francis of Chelsea

November 21, 2015 at 2:10 am

These comments make me cringe. Cannot believe a scene showing an abortion is being talked about as offensive in 2015. People have abortions. Olivia Pope is a character on a tv show, not your aunty Nkem. As a woman, it is HER CHOICE whether or not she wants to raise a child. A woman is not obligated to raise a child because she got pregnant. A woman does not have to carry a child for 9 MONTHS of her life because people will kill for children. Go and adopt the ones already on offer. It is not a do or die affair.

Plus, abortion is NOT just for “confused teenagers” and the “sexually assaulted.” ANY WOMAN can abort a baby provided it is done early enough. If a woman in Ajegunle has 5 children and gets pregnant again, barely able to feed the 5, I will drive her to the clinic myself. Some people just don’t want a(nother) child. They are not evil for it.

OAN, did you not watch scenes in Nigerian movies years ago where they used bloody hangers for abortions? Please rest. For the religious people claiming blasphemy, Silent Night is a Christmas carol and not a book of the bible or one of the ten commandments. It is an obvious juxtaposition as she is losing a child with the song used to rejoice the most important birth in history. Do you even know what blasphemy is?

• Me

November 21, 2015 at 6:29 am

Sends biggest e hugs.?

• Person

November 21, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Many more e-hugs for you. You are the real MVP.

• DD

November 21, 2015 at 4:29 pm

She wasn’t ‘losing a child’, it wasn’t a miscarriage. While obviously a difficult choice, it was a very deliberate decision to end the life of her child.

20. Me

November 21, 2015 at 6:29 am

Sends biggest e hugs.??

21. ElessarisEllendil

November 21, 2015 at 6:44 am

Did Scandal go too far last night? Nope, there’s nothing as too far for fiction. Once I’m done typing this, I headed back to post apocalyptic America to continue ratcheting up my kill count, plus you know Hannibal’s one of my favourite T.V shows and it makes Scandal look JV in comparison.

Was Mellie right to defend Planned Parenthood from being defunded, obviously!! The Republican Party(Which I must say is a disgrace to Conservatives the world over) is throwing the baby away with the bath water. ‘Planned Parenthood’ is not a bad thing, the organisation itself I’m told provided Pre&Ante natal advice to aid Pregnancy, plus sex education et al.

However since its turned into an argument on abortion, abortion is obviously terrible. You’re snuffing out another human being’s life, there’s no argument around it. I should know, 50% of my gene pool wanted me aborted too and the fact that I was a ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ away from not existing makes me by default Pro Life.

With that said, in my view(Something The Republican Party does not seem to get), should it be an all or nothing proposition. Certainly not!

Should a Mother have a choice in whether to abort a Pregnancy that threatens her? Of-course, if she chooses not to place her life at risk, the child should be aborted.

Largely, Olivia’s abortion is an avoidance of consequence, you intrude on another woman’s marriage without giving a hoot about the damage to her(your friend) or their children. Taking the consequences of your actions like a Man is I’m told the very definition of adulthood. Personally, I wouldn’t want to live in a society, with children willing to do anything even resort to murder in order to avoid consequences. Chin up, ain’t the end of the world.

Being Pro-Life isn’t just about heckling would be ‘aborters’, its also about creating systems to lend support to poor single Mothers to help them raise upstanding members of society, creating a structure to take children off the hands of Women who do not want Children and catering for these children by channeling them to Parents who do or raising them as wards of the state, the above entails sacrifice on the part of all of us ofcourse e.g higher taxes e,t,c but personally, I don’t view any sacrifice made to guarantee Innocent Human Life as too much to make. A society in which the rights of children at their most vulnerable cannot in any way claim to be egalitarian and isn’t equality what we all seek?

P.S Gametes, have unique DNA from their parents. the Government already tells you a hell of a lot of things to do with your body(Including lay down your life if necessary), No, Human life is just not defined by an ability to respirate or else people with Artificial lungs or on ventilators would be untermensch? and finally outlawing abortion(except in EXTREME cases) is not an attack on a woman’s body, its preventing her attack on another human beings body, the fact that it is resident within her for 9 months(or less) does not change the fact that the embryo is human i.e a “UNIQUE UNREPEATABLE INDIVIDUAL” created from the building blocks of the parent’s DNA.

Sorry, ended up longer than expected.

• ElessarisEllendil

November 21, 2015 at 6:50 am

“society in which the rights of children at their most vulnerable is not protected”??

Allow me to use this opportunity to shift away to the less weighty topic of

Dear BellaNaija Team and Engineers, will we ever get an edit button? Will we ever get the ability to further bants by using GIFs? Will we ever get ‘Italics’ and ‘BOLD’?

Is to be or not to be………..truly “the question”??????

Sincerely

‘Oxford Word of The Year’?

22. Tari

November 21, 2015 at 7:38 am

Shonda Rhimes is a very good writer but as a person she seems to be full of shit. Was there no other background song to be used?
    My view on abortion is irrelevant. All I continue to advocate is the use of a condom outside a monogamous relationship.

While Shonda is a good writer, I find this series hugely overrated. I stopped watching in season 3 or so. Very unrealistic show in my view. Fitz is the most unrealistic president in the history of TV. All he does is f- Oliviain all positions and in all enclosed spaces and all she does is fix every dodgy situation. If nollywood wrote this script I doubt we will be applauding. While the acting is top notch, I find the storyline silly. Maybe now Shonda can start exploring her personal views therein to make it more realistic.

• Idomagirl

November 21, 2015 at 10:05 am

Fitz is the worst president in TV history, it’s such a shame how that character had been reduced to a love sick puppy, Tony Goldwyn is a fantastic actor and he deserves a stronger role than that.

23. Idomagirl

November 21, 2015 at 10:07 am

Please who watches HTGAWM? Can we talk about that finale? BN can we get a separate post? My edges were snatched last night & I need a support group???. Annalise is insane….

• Ms.b

November 21, 2015 at 10:07 pm

I did o, u can catch up on Hulu. Analise is a sick woman, I’m kinda getting tired of the show. The twist and turns and betrayals r getting boring.

24. Zee

November 21, 2015 at 10:56 am

After watching the episode, I wondered whether anyone considered that those aborted kids would have loved to be born if there was a way to hear their opinion .And if they wanted so, why then should a “liberal” adult deliberately deny them that request.
    Same as people who do not wish to get married but want kids. Don’t you think your kids will prefer a complete family setting where there is a daddy or mommy to come home to? Do you ask their opinion before you make these decisions?
    People are selfish these days! All about I I I! And they had to frame a Christmas setting to soften the real message? Except her viewers are passive then she has achieved her aim.
    Always wanting us to believe the opposite is right. Giving them side chicks hope since 19kokoro.

25. Dee

November 21, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I wish they would try that with the “other” religion and watch their cast and crew being blown up to smithereen. Nonsense!

• kadara

November 21, 2015 at 8:38 pm

@ Dee, you are sounding just like a terrorist

26. mz_daniels

November 21, 2015 at 5:00 pm

I am pro choice and totally support abortions. Better to abort than to birth a child into a loveless existence. Most of the people who scream pro life will demand the death penalty if that child is born, thrown away, raised on the streets and becomes a hardened criminal because he never felt value and love.

That said, I do not like Shonda Rhimes stories. She seems to be on a mission to show warped, ill adjusted human beings and glamorize them. Olivia pope is a loose, disturbed woman. The star of HTGAWM is a woman with so much issues.
    Shonda should either give us stories that are not unrealistically melodramatic with well adjusted xters or just retire. Young ones are watching

27. honesty

November 21, 2015 at 8:34 pm

i didn’t watch the abortion scene but having had an abortion a couple of years ago i know first hand what the experience is.

Yes women do have a right to choose…. and I chose not to. Not because i didnt want him/her but because the gentleman involved told me point blank that if I went ahead, i would have to go it alone.

So I chose not to….. not to bring a child into the world to suffer, not to be pitied because i couldn’t raise the child on my own, not to have a child who would grow up wishing his/her circumstances were different and not to be a disappointment to my parents, friends and more importantly myself,

Was I selfish? YES! Do I regret it? On occasions when I let my thoughts drift, Sometimes YES, Sometimes No…. but one thing i know for sure, if i had that child, i would not be the person I am today….. i would be bitter and resentful at the child and the opportunities i would have had to give up in catering for him or her.

Please feel free to judge….. but people do have a right to choose….. and I chose not to.

• Ttt

November 21, 2015 at 8:40 pm

But you also had a right to choose not to have unprotected sex.

• ElessarisEllendil

November 21, 2015 at 10:52 pm

I empathise, I truly do but here’s the thing.

Was I pitied because my Mother raised me alone.

Did I occasionally wish my circumstances were different, ofcourse, more often than it seems my Mother and I are communicating in different languages.

Thing is I got over it and learned to be appreciative for the gift of life I was given and through 21 years my Mother and I have managed. You never gave the poor kid a chance to prove himself.

You ofcourse aren’t solely to blame, there’s a matter of the waste of space that put you in such a difficult situation, but please in case of this next time. This random stranger is begging you to give the child a say in their life.

28. The Buttery Hotness

November 22, 2015 at 12:17 am

I actually did a drive-by on this post, but I had to reverse to come and drop my 5 kobo.

Yes, as a human being, you have been given the “gift” of freewill, so you can make whatever choice you want. Some choices we make are selfish, such as saying that you want to abort your child because a it does not fit into your five-year plan (which should have been considered before the spreading of legs like butter on Agege bread. Lol). Some choices are selfless, such as choosing to sacrifice your Christmas clothes so your children can eat. Any which way, as a human being, God has given you the right to choose. But please, let’s not trivialize abortion. The moment an egg and a sperm collide and said sperm fertilizes the ovum, life is formed – beautiful, wonderful life. Life that has value, life that can change the world, life that God meticulously knit together (Psalm 139: 13 – 16 (Love those verses, btw)).

So while you are exercising your right to choice, you are taking another’s right to live. There are many preventive measures…take advantage of them.

And if you are saying that the child will turn into a nuisance in the society because his parents did not love him, that argument is flawed. There are many kids from love-filled families that go on to be criminals. There are also street urchins and “unwanted babies” that go on to become successful in one field or the other. So you never know. You will never know what that life taken away could have gone on to become.

Whether you want to have, or have had, an abortion is entirely up to you and your God (I’m not here to condemn you as a person, but I condemn the act itself, for the record)…but let’s call a spade a spade: abortion is murder’s cousin. Good thing is, not even that can stop God from loving you.

As for Scandal as a show, it has terribly lost the plot. Let me not even get started with what a weak-ass president Fitz is. I don’t know if Olivia’s vagina is laced with platinum.

P.S: Darling BN, if you are going to swallow my comment as you did the other, endeavour to wash it down with a cold bottle of coke. x

• molarah

November 22, 2015 at 9:36 pm

“And if you are saying that the child will turn into a nuisance in the society because his parents did not love him, that argument is flawed. There are many kids from love-filled families that go on to be criminals. There are also street urchins and “unwanted babies” that go on to become successful in one field or the other.”

Words on marble, right there.

People keep giving this perfectly illogical excuse for abortion and I wonder what kind of vacation they’ve sent their brains on. Abortion = Murder. Plain and simple. Standing around to justify this would turn you into a beast soon enough, and and assign you to moral corner with Hitler, terrorists and other mass murderers of history. If you’ve had an abortion, own up to your wrong – don’t make excuses. Confess to God and make your peace with Him, and make up your mind to henceforth stand for justice. Stop buying the propaganda that’s trying to sear your conscience. Life is precious, at every stage. Never loose sight of that.

29. Emi

November 22, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Ok so we are all NEVER going to agree if abortion is murder or not so how about we agree to disagree? If its a Sin, is it your Sin? Let the individual deal with the Sin with their creator. Who are you to judge or force someone to sin or not sin. Nobody else made a choice in whatever sin you (Pro life folks) have sinned (And we have ALL sinned) so why are you trying to force your own idea of what a sin is or isn’t on someone else.

Only God can judge so why cant anyone chose whatever path they want?

• molarah

November 22, 2015 at 9:46 pm

You are being contradictory here. There’s no relativity on issues that concern life. Is murder wrong? Yes or no. No midway answer will do. It is hypocritical of us to be flippant about whether some other person deserves to live or not, when we cherish our own lives – imagine an armed robber pointing a gun at your head and telling those around you begging for your life to shut up and let God be the judge of his actions. Yes God is the Judge, but “woe to those that call evil good, and good evil”. We are to take the side of justice, and speak out against wrongdoing. That’s not judging, in fact, that is loving.

30. Mabel

November 23, 2015 at 1:58 am

All pro-lifers should exercise the highest calling of their belief and just go adopt children. Why the hell is it that these pro-lifers are never adopting. If you want these women to bring the child, then do your part by adopting the children or shut the hell up with your ideals, if you ain’t bring shyt to the table. You see these churches, mosques and synagogues filled to the brim with pro-lifers and walk the aisles and ask how many have adopted one child in their family, if you find ten in one congregation you have found many. Ask how many are even sponsoring a poor family, nothing. These bishes turn to you and tell you they pay their tithes, so the hell what? Ask how many are volunteering at the hospital, schools, orphanages, girls and boys clubs..crickets. Yet, they will sit there with their full guts, living well in the world and look at a poor woman with not even toilet paper to wipe her azz if she shyts, and maybe she don’t even have a pit to shyt in and tell her to bring her child in the world and they ain’t doing one blasted thing to assist her in any way. Maybe they will end up in the village one day and take her child and entice them to come work in their home and take care of their kids and say they have done something for the child, while the child is little more than a slave.

Ladies, don’t let anybody guilt you into anything, because the ones living well are the ones who have the most to say and none will be their to assist you in your suffering. Nothing worst than a wasted life and ppl with beliefs who cannot put their beliefs to use, but have one bag of argument to lay out why you should go their path. Get off your sorry asses and start doing something about the children already here suffering, of which there are many, and stop worrying about ones not yet born. If abortion is wrong then adopt a child today, adopt a poor family, send a child to school, dig a well for a community, go volunteer with needy children and do something to make it better than sharing you ideals which helps nobody and has no impact on anybody’s life or better the world in any way.

31. olah

November 23, 2015 at 12:49 pm

if you think you are not emotionally matured enough or ready to have a baby then you are not matured enough to have sex i do not care how old you are if you do not want a baby DO NOT HAVE SEX protected or unprotected. It’s that simple.

32. Aleesha

November 23, 2015 at 6:02 pm

If abortion is permissible when a woman is unable to care for the child, whether because of financial or emotional considerations, then what obtains when a woman/couple lose their source of income and find themselves unable to provide for their children? Kill them? Sell them into slavery?
    The truth is that sex and the possibility of conception are inseparable. You need to decide whether you are in a place to deal with the potential consequence of a sexual relationship BEFORE you engage in one. We know that life happens, and people will always have sex regardless, but that does not change the truth.

On the other hand, someone commented above that it is the woman’s responsibility to prevent pregnancy in a consensual relationship. Err mister, how is it that one person has sole responsibility for something that requires joint effort? So the man’s own is to chop, enjoy and clean mouth until he decides he wants children?

In several ways, abortions and contraception have done very little to liberate women, in the sense that it has placed an undue burden on them where sexual relationships are concerned. You alone have to worry about the possibility of pregnancy, you alone have to deal with the issues that come with contraceptives: finding what works for you, dealing with side effects like delayed return of fertility, weight gain and acne for some, possibility of life threatening blood clots and cervical cancer… the list goes on. The guy gets to ‘jolly’without a care in the world. If he is nice, he might follow you to go and get the abortion, but is he the one who has to undergo a procedure with serious emotional consequences?

Ladies, we need to be intentional about guarding our wellbeing. Popular culture might sell us something, but we owe it to ourselves to look critically before buying.

33. Melanie Watson

November 26, 2015 at 5:09 am

Yes, Scandal went too far, and I won’t watch the show again. I don’t need that kind of evil in my life.