Style

BN Beauty: 4 Surefire Ways to Make Your Old & Rough Braids Look Brand New!

BellaNaija.com

Box Braids - BellaNaija - January 20160078jpg

Image via @NaijaNaturals (Instagram)

Let’s face it – braids can be hard work. When you first get them done you feel and look good, but once you loose a few strands and your hair starts to pop out of the attachments, it’s all downhill from there.

But what if there was a way you could give your 1-month-old braids a reboot? Take those tired looking & rough strands and give them a revamp that’ll last another 2-3 weeks?

Today, we will be sharing those tips with you. So you don’t have to drag your friends home to help cut off and loosen the braids, or sit for hours to get them out.

Here are 4 ways you can revamp your braids.

1. Give it a Hot Bath & Gel Treatment
One thing you should know about attachments usually used for braids is that it melts when it comes in contact with heat. So, you see those strands that have come loose? You can get them to lay back down with some hot water, gel and scissors.

All you have to do is take your scissors and trim some of those loose stray hairs on the strands off. After you’re done, place the strands in a bowl of hot water (preferably with the assistance of a friend) and leave them in for a few minutes. After you’re done with the hot water bath, let it dry a little, rub some styling gel on your hands and fingers and run that through your hair. Then let it dry completely.

The hot water steams and relaxes the strands, and the gel dries with the hair giving it more hold and therefore a neater look.

Krochet Culture by Stephanie Coker - BellaNaija - January2016003

Image via @StephanieCoker (Instagram)

Box Braids - BellaNaija - January 2016005

Image via @MarcyDolapoOni (Instagram)

2. Re-do the edges
If you’re like me and have a small brush at the front of your braids, this is a great alternative for you.

If you have some left-over attachment from the original pack of attachment, you can use this to replace the old ones you have on now. Just head to the salon, take out the braids around your edges and have them weaved again.

However, make sure you follow that with the point in number 1 so all the strands, both old and new, match.

3. Switch Up the Style
This is a combination of point 1 and 2. Instead of replacing some parts of your braids, you can switch up the style to something different and then give it a hot bath & gel treatment as well.

You can try cutting the braids and burning the ends for a bob; twisting 2 or 3 strands together and dipping it in hot water for curly strands; or loosening the braids half way  and securing them for a fuller and more natural look. The choice is yours.

Box Braids - BellaNaija - January 2016004

Image via @BlckGirlMagic (Instagram)

Box Braids - BellaNaija - January 2016002

Image via @StylesbyShawne (Instagram)

4. Play Around it with Edge Control
One thing I love about edge control is it offers great cheat options for our hair. If your hair starts to look a little rough in front, you can use edge control to play around with the loose hair or baby hairs for a more feminine and playful look.

Take some edge control and use a small brush to create cute styles on your forehead and around the crown of your head, while sweeping the rest of your hair back towards the braids.

If you’ve ever had problems with your baby hair staying put minutes after using some edge control, try using it at night and tying them down with a silk scarf. In the morning those babies will be well behaved.

Box Braids - BellaNaija - January 2016

Image via @BlckGirlMagic (Instagram)

Box Braids - BellaNaija - January 2016006

Image via @BlckGirlMagic (Instagram)

5. Stick to Edge-covering Styles
If all else fails, cover your edges. Hairstyles like these are great when it comes to hiding rough edges because all that roughness is tucked under the jumbo crown braid, or twist or faux bang. Just pick a style that you like and cover your edges up.

Box Braids - BellaNaija - January 2016003

Image via @BestLaceWigs (Instagram)

Box Braids - BellaNaija - January 2016007

Image via @Donedo (Instagram)

***

Did we help you out or what? Don’t forget to share your tips of revamping old braids if you have some.

Photo Credit: @BlckGirlMagic | @StylesbyShawne | @BestLaceWigs | @BlckGirlMagic |  @BlckGirlMagic | @NaijaNaturals | @Donedo (Instgram)

1. j'suis belle

January 29, 2016 at 3:09 pm

i love braids and locks like crazy be new and mostly old

2. j'suis belle

January 29, 2016 at 3:10 pm

i love braids and locks like crazy beit new and mostly old

3. isaid!!

January 29, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Oh you are God sent!! Was planning on loosening my old braids. Now i can rock them longer. Thanks again!

4. miss rouge

January 29, 2016 at 5:30 pm

very timely, saves me the dreaded trip to the saloon. thanks a bunch

• ms_anonymous

January 29, 2016 at 9:06 pm

lmao!! isn’t it funny how we dread going to the salon? sigh!! wish it was the opposite!!

5. Miss Mo

January 29, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Great article. Love the pics. Beautiful women. I have braids from Dec and will keep it for anoda month or 2. 😀

6. mz titilitious

January 29, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I love braid too much! Easy to carry and stress less lol

7. o

January 29, 2016 at 9:11 pm

i have natural hair, and no amt of edge control can help, it works for a few hours and then back to my takoko edges…lol

• Idomagirl

January 30, 2016 at 3:04 am

I have natural hair too and it works for me…
      I guess it depends on texture sha….

• o

January 30, 2016 at 11:33 am

What brand? I have Ecostyler, the green one

8. BijouxthisBijouxthat

January 30, 2016 at 2:55 am

Unless I’m out of my country and it’s very expensive to go get new braids…. Then I would consider these options… Yea it’s cool to be financially prudent but please on top braids? Cheapest hair to do… Why stress?
    Aintnobodygottimeforthat

• o

January 30, 2016 at 11:33 am

It’s not even abt the money. I actually hate going to d salon and getting my hair done for hours. But a gals got to do what a gals got to do! So I have it in for as long as possible

9. Idomagirl

January 30, 2016 at 3:05 am

Wonderful tips. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarked.

10. revamp

January 30, 2016 at 7:20 am

Oh yeah! I recently used 1,3&7 and my old kinkh braids is now d talk of d office. I’d give it a little touch next week again.
    Oh my! I just love braids

11. what can i do to my hair in yankee???

January 30, 2016 at 11:11 am

Help BNers, i’ll be going away to the US for almost a year for studies, and i’ve been thinking about what i would do to my hair there, that will be cheap and not warrant me going to the salon too much as i heard it’s quite expensive there.

Options are to cut my hair and go on wigs, but i know i’ll get tired of wigs, and don’t wanna really cut my hair. My mum says i can try jerry curls, but i think that is old school. i also thought of dread locks but mehn i’m confused.

I like braids but mine gets rough easily and don’t know how affordable it will be getting it there.

Pls help out? any ideas?? Are there any vlogs that have something on this?
    thanks xoxo

• Reply to Yankee girl

January 30, 2016 at 1:05 pm

You could try locs, I think they are the most lasting hairstyle but then I read online that “–Eventually, the locked hair will mesh so tightly that it will be nearly impossible to unmesh, at which stage the locks become permanent and must be cut off if loose hair is desired.–” meaning you would have to cut it off afterwards to get your hair back.

I live in London, have relaxed hair and do my washing /conditioning at home myself every 2 weeks, I’ve got a hair dryer bonnet and it works fine. Also cost effective

12. naya

January 31, 2016 at 5:04 am

Ditching direct braids and switching to braided wigs. My scalp needs a rest

13. Missy

February 2, 2016 at 9:38 pm

great tips….nr.2 and 5 works wonders…but nr.2 is me all theeee time when i have my braids on…

14. Ruth Kabau

June 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm

OMG talk about saving lives!! Thanks so much. Now I won’t have to look like I slept without covering my hair lol