Scoop

“Netflix being in Nigeria has zero impact on iROKO” Jason Njoku shares his thoughts

BellaNaija.com

Jason Njoku - October 2013 - BellaNaija

Founder of iROKO, Jason Njoku, has shared his thoughts on the fact that on-demand internet streaming media, Netflix is not available in Nigeria.

He wrote on his official website:

So here’s me in Paris, cold as cold can be, working with my partners on 2016 plans when a bunch of internet folks starting writing the obituary for iROKO (again). Sigh. What reason this time? Netflix announced they had expanded to 130 countries. This wasn’t a surprise to anyone who actually lives in the streaming universe. The accelerated timing was. But hey, Netflix is here to eat the food from the bowls of my children.

I use Netflix pretty much every week. My wife uses it pretty much every week. I have been a subscriber since 2012 and have never churned out. It’s amazing. I have blogged and generally been smitten by the company and their internet style market share grab. Where possible, I even try to emulate it. But Netflix irokotv isn’t. irokotv is irokotv.

But as I have mentioned before, there is only one Netflix of Africa. And that is Netflix. Why? People fail to remember that Netflix is an 18 year old company. 18 years they have been refining their skills at getting people to subscribe for content. They are just awesome at it. But Africa is a little different.

What iROKO is, and has largely always been known for, is the home of Nollywood. Home and abroad. The strange thing about the mourners of iROKO is they always mention how most of our subscribers are in the West. Yup US and UK represent ~55% of our subscription base. And it’s grown (not break-neck) but steadily over the last few years, in Netflix’s back yard. Folk in the US and UK ( the top 2 Netflix markets) have been happy to pay YoY for the little service we provide.Building subscription business’ are hard. Heck we are only 4 years old. So why people think we will suddenly die now they are in Nigeria is totally beyond me.  I remember when Deezer came to Nigeria (and Africa). I have been a subscriber there for almost 3 years. I use it, without fail, daily. But when they released their IPO documents, Africa wasn’t even mentioned. It represented nothing. And thats 3mb mp3 files. Not 300mb movie files which require a continuous connection for streaming. But Netflix is in Africa!

In 2015, across our YouTube channels, we saw 313m streaming video views. 185m of that was largely long form 2nd tier Nollywood content. What % was Nigeria? ~6%. And it’s free. YouTube = Free To Air Internet. Nigeria has consistently seen around 50% less engagement in Africa than comparable markets in Western Europe. Today streaming is just difficult. I have no doubt it will get better. But it’s not today. The ISPs have improved immensely, but of the tens of millions of internet users, 99% are mobile. Remember Nigeria is the most mobilised country in the world and the average person buys 105mb. The ISPs cater to the 0.5%. Around 7 months ago, we actually started adjusting our product, pricing and content around these cold hard realities. As things would have it, on Monday we actually put our new Android app into the playstore. It’s still beta and in testing mode, but it definitely put into perspective the new focused direction we are headed. We are currently testing our new web platform (Western markets) too. You can check it out at http://test.irokotv.com/ .

So Netflix being in Nigeria has zero impact on iROKO and our vision for the future. If it’s Nollywood fanatics, you know those guys can watch 3-5 hours per day, so Irokotv is still the only place they can find most of what they are looking for. Considering we are one of the biggest actual producers of Nollywood, I don’t see that changing anytime soon. In time, we will be able to produce 200 movies a year ourselves, no shaking. And with the evident collapse of the DVDmarket, this only makes us stronger.

But this is all grammar. iROKO is dead. Netflix is here to fix our FX issues, improve the petrol prices and pull us through our post colonial poverty.

In the mean time, I will be heading off to sleep and dreaming of creative ways to make rent and settle school fees.

1. Abena

January 7, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Enjoyed reading it actually…He is a cool writer. W

• Iroko and netflix fan

January 7, 2016 at 7:02 pm

He is right to some extent. But also wrong. The reason why iroko tv existed in the US and UK while netflix did is because netflix never focused on the iroko market which is nollywood.

now they are in nigeria, they have to focus on nollywood content which is in direct competition with iroko tv.

So here is the question

if iroko charges ten dollars a month and netflix charged 10 dollars a month, Would you subscribe to netflix that will give u nollywood + hollywood or iroko that will give u just nollywood?

Hmmmmmmm

• Nahum

January 7, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I love Iroko but Netflix gives me more for my money

• hmmm

January 7, 2016 at 8:57 pm

This is actually not true, or at least to a certain extent, Netflix has been offering Nolywood movies for over a year now in the US, UK, etc, and iROKO TV still remained ahead of that market. Now will more movie marketers allow Netflix to carry their films? That is the question to ask, to determine whether or not Netflix being in Nigeria, or showing Nolywood films in general will affect IrokoTV’s market.

• fleur

January 8, 2016 at 1:27 am

I was hoping nobody would point this out. that is the next maneuver from Netflix – bite into the Nigerian Nollywood market and they can become producers and bring their tech to bear if that is what it takes. Note, i

2. Abena

January 7, 2016 at 1:37 pm

The write up was fun to read and informative at the same time.Why are people soo eager to see his business dead? the PHD syndrome in most part of Africa is just ridiculous! You wont establish a business,yet when others do ten you wish them evil.. SMH

• Damilola

January 7, 2016 at 4:56 pm

@ Abena

I enjoyed reading it too. Good write up, Jason. Jason, business is difficult and full of errors, failure but the most important part is learning what works and what doesn’t. Successful businesses, Netflix, youtube, apple. Amazon, Microsoft and many others didn’t get here overnight. We are enjoying the finished product but then they are still working hard to keep the finished product steady by coming up with different strategies, adding and subtracting. Stay focus on your vision. See this as a challenge, listen to complaints, constructive criticism and learn from it. I pray, God’s blessings upon you.

Why are people so eager to see his business dead? African backward mentality. Africans are always eager to see their own fail. The kissing ass of the west, inferiority syndrome is part of it. However, Africans in general are wicked group of people. The lack of support, wishing badluck, etc towards one another is quite disturbing. It’s very crippling too. My sister moved back to Nigeria to start a business. An acquaintance, in similar business promised to help her once she moves to nigeria. When she arrived, her attitude changed, so my sister had to go out to hustle by herself. Through God’s grace, her business was able to pick up but once this acquaintance saw the progress. All hell broke loose, from doing spiritual fetish things to physically hindering her. It was very scary. It discourages you, to even want to make small or big change unless you are connected to some top power or ready to use juju to fight each other.

Here in the U.S, I’m amazed at the healthy competition between businesses who deliver similar product. And the interesting part is, you will see these companies on the same block, next to each other they go about their business. They add their own perks and uniqueness. In Africa, once someone sees the other doing something similar, the goal is to destroy the other person’s business spiritually and physically. They can’t think outside the box except to see the other person fail, as far as dead so they can be the only one succeeding. I admire, bella naija and linda ikeji supportive of each other while doing similar business. I hope many younger generation can move pass such evil mentality.

3. bigfoot

January 7, 2016 at 1:43 pm

I concur.

4. June

January 7, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I’m all here for iROKO !!! May you grow from strength to strength ! #allAboutSUPPORTINgNIGERIANbusiness#

5. Adaeze Ibechukwu

Adaeze Ibechukwu

January 7, 2016 at 2:06 pm

His last line actually made me smile ‘rent and school fees’! Yeah, those are stuff we have to struggle to meet up with in Nigeria. I love his writing too…

For amazing stories, head on to adaezewrites.com

6. Mz Socially Awkward...

January 7, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Jason, I think you could have pulled your big-boy pants up and addressed whatever online comments you’re clapping back at with a bit less peevishness than what you’ve typed up above. And I’ve been subscribing to IrokoTV for longer than your site deserves so, it’ll be nice to think your ego is capable of handling conjecture from paying customers.

To be honest, I’m hailing the arrival of Netflix in Africa if it’ll pursue some of the market share and create new reasons for IrokoTV to pull its socks up, since the introduction of IbakaTV didn’t do that. Competition is a good thing for you to take your company further and prove that the money spent on registering to watch “Hottest Nollywood releases” remains worthy of your collection. Focus on that, stop vexing and telling us of all the streaming you do on Youtube because Netflix isn’t here to compete with you on that platform, it’s more interested in people like me who are thinking of where to get valuable Naija entertainment (in addition to all the variety they host) in return for a subscription fee.

Plus… this thing with RocStudios is starting to seem like you’re focusing a lot on hosting more of your own productions (400 in a year, though? Isn’t that why we started avoiding the Iweka Road industry?). I don’t mind some of what RocStudios have brought out as they did a great job with season 1 of “Husbands of Lagos” (that series was hands-down hilarious, I’ve been recommending it to everyone – Livinus for president!) and I’m not sure if the “Desperate Housemaids” series is their creation as well but this is where it might get a little sticky. I’m noticing a lot of appearances by Mary Remy in movies and series on the site (particularly the RocStudio ones) and even though I love the idea of supporting your wife’s career (go team!), it’s not her name I’m on the lookout for when I search the titular cast of a Nollywood movie. Apologies, this is not meant knock her hustle and I’ve decided to give the “Festac Town” series a cautious try after completely abandoning the “Lonely Hearts” series midway through episode 6 (what a total waste of a good story that went totally south)… all I’m saying is that we need more variety and talented acting in your content, even if you’ve decided to go ahead with producing your own movies, series, etc. Let it all result in worthwhile entertainment.

IrokoTV isn’t dead and I can see why you might get a bit upset about people saying that but it’s getting more disappointing with its not-so-hot Nollywood offerings. If Netflix truly starts hosting good Naija entertainment (with a good dose of ratchedness provided in the form of Jenifa’s Diaries), I’ll be very interested in seeing what they have to offer.

• Ayomide

January 7, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Jason, cool down. Not everyone wants to see your business die. I followed some of the links in the article and one took me to Iroko at 4. I thought I could just read an innocent celebratory “we thank God” style message, you know, seeing that the title was so innocent, but in the very first paragraph, I was already greeted with “From toiling in obscurity for years, to every move tracked and picked over with equal awe and ill will…” Ill will? Abeg o. We are just looking for somewhere to stream nollywood movies. It is not that serious. Don’t overlook the goodwill that is coming your way for being bold enough to do what you are doing.

• KeepingItReal

January 7, 2016 at 10:07 pm

7. Olutt

January 7, 2016 at 2:36 pm

It’s a nice insight into the world of producing internet based contents backed up with stats, the only way Netflix will compete with Iroko TV is if our ISPs make data cheaper for the average consumer which i don’t see happening in the foreseeable future, but Mr Njoku should also remember that brand matters, and most movie or content producers will want to make their content available to the company that offers most return. Netflix in Africa will make African contents readily available for fans, which is what i have been praying for.

8. Uju

January 7, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Netflix has nothing on Iroko
    I love both as a matter of fact
    They are not mutually exclusive

9. Jagbajantis

January 7, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Very informative, Jason.

To be fair, nobody needs to get their knickers in a twist over the “arrival” of Netflix in Nigeria, as there is enough of the market for all providers. If anything DSTV is also at risk of losing customers. In the USA, Hulu Plus, Sling TV, Amazon Prime and Netflix all thrive and compete for customers – and guess what? Many people I know have a combination of 2 or 3 of them at the same time. The reason being is that they are priced competitively to attract viewers who want to cut the cord (drop cable subscriptions) . Hulu Plus and Netflix cost less than $10 each per month for their streaming services which is quite reasonable, and Amazon Prime is about $100 a year including free 2 day shipping for goods bought on Amazon.com.

Another reason they are thriving together is because of the individual original content you may get from one and not from another. I have had my Netflix subscription since 2011, and the reason I had kept it on in the past few years is due to House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Marco Polo which are all original Netflix productions. Amazon Prime I hear now shows Downton Abbey (can someone people confirm) and Sling TV has a HBO bundle included ( for Game of Thrones addicts).

Iroko TV can keep its edge by thinking outside the box a little bit. Nigerians are very creative and there are lots of stories that we tell that can interest the outside world. What about helping producing web dramas like “Fat Skinny Girl” which are relatively inexpensive to produce. Hire some excellent and hungry eager to prove unknown actors and actresses, and one or two well known names. Choose a nice setting showcasing Nigeria’s geographical splendours. Hire a good writer to come up with a wonderful and engaging storyline. Produce it with very good dialogue. Give it a catching name.

IrokoTV can also do podcasts as well. The sky is the limit. There are graphic artists and cartoonists in Nigeria. Look at the guys who do the Buny TV caricatures. I really love their content, as it is fresh, funny and engaging. Get them onboard. Hire a presenter like the amiable Odunayo, and ask her to interview all sorts of personalities and engage the silent majority who do not make our red carpets.

These are a few suggestions, Jason. The sky is the limit if we can get things right. Netflix as you said has been there for a bit, starting off posting rented DVDs to punters. Then they started streaming older movies and cut off Blockbusters and the likes. But it was when they started producing their own content which won them awards and nominations, that they went to another level.

• Ceetoo

January 7, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Excellent very very intelligent response… I watched this comedy of four flatmates once on our local TV (funny bone was in it the only known face there) My husband who does not watch TV (only football and when i force him) loved it to bits and so did I. it was so interesting and fresh but as usual underrated and after a while it was no longer aired (no sponsor I assume or no more funds to fund for content production) Jason look at those kind of options like Jagbajantis mentioned, i wish you the best. i believe in Nigerian business /SME to jump start the economy. we must leave this oil behinde as we go to 2017, if oil prices rise again let it be a bonus.

• Emilo

January 7, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Jagbajantis, how can I contact you?

• Jagbajantis

January 7, 2016 at 4:07 pm

My email address is [email protected].

10. Aso Oke

January 7, 2016 at 3:38 pm

It’s only a matter of time that Netflix will eat into iRoko’s revenue. iRoko is not dead. Netflix will setup shop in Nigeria at some point, and as they increase their library for Nolloywood movies, it will become a one stop shop for most people who already subscribe to Netflix. This will reduce the hits for iRoko. It will be interesting to see the number of customers have both a Netflix account and an iRoko account.. Jason is a smart guy, I’m sure he will come up with ways to diversify iRoko’s business model. If they do nothing, Blockbusters said the same thing in the US, where are they now?

11. Hoover

January 7, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Good for him, I am more into downloading movies/series on torrent. I also watch nigerian movies on youtube for free like Mr Iroko in Paris said. I believe Iroko would survive but i doubt iroko is as dominant as it is made to be. There are also tonnes of Nigerian Movie channels on youtube that are absolutely free and show latest movies, I cannot remember watching any irioko movie last year maybe because i am more into yoruba movies. Unless Mr Iroko owns some of those other youtube channels by proxy, I doubt irokotvs survival unless of course from youtube ads which every other major channel already does at less cost et la not pr0ducing 200 movies per year but partnering with movie producers and focusing on just publishing the movies online.

12. DD

January 7, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Jason always writes well, I enjoyed reading this and learned some things too.

13. Jackter

January 7, 2016 at 4:30 pm

The difference is that I Pay 7.99 Canadian dollars for Netflix and then pay 7.99 US dollars for Iroko, due to the exchange rate of the US dollars to the Canadian, I get charged about 11 Canadian dollars for Iroko. So If Netflix offers as much Nigerian content, then I might be forced to drop Iroko. But right now, I still subscribe for the 2. naijavariety.com

14. Duchess Maria

January 7, 2016 at 4:33 pm

I subscribe to IrokoTV and will cancel soon. I think that Iroko needs to step its game up, long gone are the days when you could find truly interesting Naija movies. They need to start uploading recent stuff, and not all these randoms. I think the shows/series are currently what is tiding the site over but even those need to be updated e.g. Why are we still on Lekki Wives season 1 when there are way more seasons that have aired.

15. Prechi

January 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Oga netflix will attract more Nigerian independent film makers… because unlike iroko that pay measly money for content.. they’ll pay better… and all the good Nigerian stuff will be on netflix…. u say zero impact? I don’t concur… give it time

16. Speak

January 7, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I am not an iroko fan, however Jason dont be beating on your chest like some proud Lion like you are irreplaceable, cos you are sadly mistaken. The tone of your write up sounds like that.

For your iroko to grow – does not depend you Jason, nor on Iroko Business, It depends 100% on the nollywood industry and the movies they put out and ones you pay to acquire.. Evidently 99.9% of the movies they put out are crap and mediocre and THAT IS A FACT that everyone wants to beat around the bush on.

The irokostudios movies are just “ok”” nothing to ride home about and like someone said, enough of letting your wife Mary star in all irokostudios production – edon do. there are many other better actresses who can star in your movies. If she stars in oa couple of movies thats ok, but not 80% of your movies.

The bigger discussion that needs to be had is why 20 plus years in the industry 99 percent of Nollywood movies still suck and mediocre. its like no one wants to talk about the elephant in the room. In the past 7 years there is not a single Nollywood movie i will repeat watching,. I watch it once and thats it. So that means classics are not being produced anymore. Just one mediocre and buffoonery after another

This is the discussion that needs to be had around the round table instead of everybody beating round the bush and priding self of being 2nd to Hollywood. 2nd to What? abeg, Let fix this deteriorating industry – Movies and Script have not gotten any better, they have become worse.

The only difference i see is picture and sound quality change thats it other than than the scripts are craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp! and dont get me started on the new recruits (actors and actresses) – errbody wants to act these day, and for the actresses , its now a gateway for you know what…..

we know 🙂

• D1

January 11, 2016 at 1:39 am

If you don’t have anything nice to say…don’t say anything at all. You can’t call peoples effort ‘crap’. Give better constructive feedback or better yet write a script and produce it!!! #EP #gerrraaaofhere I enjoy naija movies and we are improving!! Stay with netflix…iroko continue your good work!!

17. gerrarehere

January 7, 2016 at 6:10 pm

who needs all this when i can watch all for free on YOUTUBE. 🙂

18. Kool

January 7, 2016 at 6:11 pm

We should learn to encourage and promote our own, not wish them evil. I like the guy’s spirit.
    Find interesting news/stories @ iiconnected.com

19. Tincan

January 7, 2016 at 6:23 pm

All MzSA said. Oga Njoku, I admire you a lot (loved your TED talk btw) but you need to pay attention to your clients. My entire reason for registering with Iroko was to be able to watch the best and most up- to-date Nigerian/African flicks, So far Iroko is not satisfying me in that regard. I am watching 1 or 2 movies in 3 months – that, to me, is not value for money. If I have a more efficient alternative, I’ll be gone, that’s the truth. Y’all need to sit up.

20. Efe Nonso Irubor

January 7, 2016 at 6:25 pm

For this brilliant write up, I’m going to playstore to download his app.

21. slice

January 7, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Its the way of the world. Iroko took food away from pples mouths when it came on the scene. All these little folks that were uploading movies on YouTube n getting advert coins were shut down by iroko. Not saying the producers didn’t benefit. Just saying if those same producers now get a better deal from netfix, the tide will change again. I see Netflix or similar making iroko a buy over offer. I wld think we’ll before saying no

22. molarah

January 7, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Guy sounds smart – I truly hope he is. Stopped my irokotv subscription ’cause I could not find ANY popular recent release. The rule of this business is innovate or perish. It’s not by beating your chest and declaring yourself undefeatable, don’t let what happened to Polaroid, Compaq and other fallen enterprise giants that refused to move with the times happen to you.

23. Angel

January 7, 2016 at 7:52 pm

I hope Jason reads BN, some constructive criticism on here! And hey, competition is not always a bad thing, it can take your business to new heights if you know what you are doing. Reason owning a business or being self employed is not as easy as most people think, it keeps you on your toes day in, day out trying to devise way to improve, diversify, grow and be on top of your game, It’s no child’s play man!

Nigerians are so everything mediocre, that I feel these big foreign ventures infiltrating our market is not such a bad thing, if nothing else, atleast they will show us how ‘ it’s done’ and get more businesses to sit up. Africa need to move forward.

24. O~Intuition!

January 7, 2016 at 8:17 pm

#DataThings

25. Amaka

January 7, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Yes Netflix will buy Iroko in due time and he’ll have no choice but to say yes 🙂

My thing with Iroko is they make more mmoney off of movie makers. And the article by Ghanaian movie maker Leila Djansi wrote about how he makes off of nollywood and ghana movie makers was very true. But then again he’s an igbo business man with great sense and in to make money which every entrepreneur is so I can’t knock all his hussle . If Netflix will offer great movie makers more money ofcourse dude will loose revenue cos every one is in for money too and they’ll move to Netflix

26. Fix it

January 7, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Jason I could care less about Netflix really if I am able to watch Iroko TV movies on my smart tv. Hubby and I just loathe to watch it on our laptops. In fact I did not renew my subscription because of this. If anyone is able to log on Iroko Tv on their smart TV do tell! I no dey tech savvy at all. I am tired of scrounging for Naija movies on Netflix. Any Nigerian movies on Netflix to watch? Apart from October Ist??

• MsMak

January 8, 2016 at 4:50 am

I have the same grouse with Iroko TV! I thought they would have developed and launched apps by now that would allow people stream directly to their Smart TVs, just like Netflix and Hulu, HBO Go, etc.

There are a couple of workarounds to to watch on your TV, though they might be a little clunky:

a. TV Browser: newer generation Smart TVs have a built-in browser. You can use it to go to Iroko, Ibaka, etc, login and watch. However this works using Flash, which a lot of OS are moving away from due to malware and virus vulnerabilities. So if your TV browser software has been updated lately, chances are this won’t work anymore.

b. Screenshare: some Smart TVs have software that can be downloaded to your laptop that lets your TV mirror what is playing on your laptop.

c. Direct Connection: if all else fails, simply connect your laptop directly to your TV using an HDMI cable. Whatever is playing on your laptop is fed to/shown on our TV. Of course it means if you need to rewind/pause, etc, you have to do it on your laptop.

27. Jj

January 7, 2016 at 9:16 pm

God bless you. Arrogance can be perceived from his statement. I love competition because it makes people sit up. If I were you Jason I will channel my talks and strength in improving my brand. Netflix is new in naija but they are giving people value for the money they paid by uploading new movies. Iroko TV takes forever to upload recent movies and have a lot of technical issues. I have been an Iroko TV customer for more than 3 year’s now and I will be glad to switch over to Netflix if they are giving me double for the price of one. I mean who no like awoof?
    Jason just improve your brand and leave and school fees money go come.

28. Ezi

January 7, 2016 at 9:21 pm

A friend just said she watched ‘fifty’ on netflix…. Already. Forgive me, im not very aware of netflix even though im very aware of what it is. My point is will the arrival of netflix to nigeria introduce nollywood(or more nollywood) to netflix, or is this something that has already being happening? if the former is the case, theeeennnn oga Njoku might want to consider a little more shade and take them as ‘buckle up’ suggestions otherwise …but he responded well to the comments made regarding iROKOtv

29. KeepingItReal

January 7, 2016 at 10:05 pm

@Mz Socially Awkward…,very good and quality constructive piece of writing you put together. I hope Jason/Irokotv team reads it and makes the appropriate adjustment and accomodation.

30. Lanre A

January 8, 2016 at 12:22 am

ehm Dear irokotv, please make it easy to watch your videos on TVs. For example, allow the support of things like chromecast and so on. Not everybody likes watching movies on laptops. Thank you.

31. Ms A

January 8, 2016 at 12:42 am

@ Mz Socially Awkward.
    I loved Husbands of Lagos, didnt even realise that Livinus could act that Good. There are a few good ones , poisned bait , losing control ,Cougars, Jenifa 2 & festac town which you already mentioned. In fact quite a few of thier TV shows are really impressive, kept me enterntained all thru the xmas break. And thier subscription charges are quite affordable too.
    The only point where I sort of disagree with your points raised is that , I see no harm in Mary Remy featuring in most of the TV shows on there; reason being that it shows that marriage and motherhood has not slowed her down, She keeps getting better in all roles played. I was never a Mary Remy fan until now. Anyway, Iroktv management what I think you need to work on is providing season 2,3 and more consistently. Stop realeasing one season of a TV show and take Another year to produce a follow on season. This has been major complain from a number of people I Know. Please work on that.
    All the best.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 9, 2016 at 4:08 am

@Ms A, that’s the series I meant – “Losing Control”, not “Lonely Hearts”. I was maybe subconsciously pegging all the lonely hearts in it…. But I got intrigued by how it started (the 1st episode was good) and saw 5 episodes until the plot took such a silly twist (key feature – Koko crying hysterically in hospital to suitor who reveals inheritance tied to condition of finding a wife, while Uche becomes best pal and live-in house bud with boss) and that just … let’s say I couldn’t take it seriously again.

I’ve not seen “Cougars” & will try it on your recommendation. Regarding Mary Remy, to be honest, I have no doubt that her acting can develop with the right direction (Joseph Benjamin in “A Few Good Men” for instance, was an impressive turnaround from everything else I’d seen him in and proof of what a good Director can do). Currently, however, she’s not at that point in her career but I’m mindful that she’s headlining a lot more content which the site hosts, which is fine if I was watching for free on YouTube. It becomes very questionable in my mind when I’m visiting IrokoTV for recent big-screen releases from Nollywood (which they impliedly promise customers) and that category’s lacking but they’re trying to fob me off with this new catalogue of lower-budget releases instead.

32. Tata

January 8, 2016 at 1:40 am

Jason I say a prayer for you today…God will continue to direct you, give you ideas and all that is needed to stay in the business. You will remain a market leader (as long as nollywood movies is concerned ) . Your ingenuity shall not die..The arrival of Netflix in Nigeria will never bring about the end of irokotv. Your hard work will never be in vain. May God bless the works of your hands….May God cause your enemies and haters to take back their evil words in no time in Jesus name ……Amen ….stay focused I see you achieve greater heights. And for all BN positive minds may all your dreams come alive in 2016……Amen

33. ATL's finest

January 8, 2016 at 1:56 am

Lmao! THANK U. Ain’t no fan of IrokoTV either. They pay too much for that junk

34. nnenne

January 8, 2016 at 4:05 am

I believe you Jason. Iroko Tv will be fine. Very many of us admire your hard work. Iroko TV is unique in its way and will survive. Just keep improving on your movie collection and content.

35. MsMak

January 8, 2016 at 5:02 am

Big ups to Mz Socially Awkward and Jagabantis for their comments. You both just downloaded my mind for real.

As for Mr. Njoku, I am disappointed. This is not the first time I’ve read a response from him to some perceived competition or less than positive comments, and he always responds in this childish, defensive mode, like many Nigerians do (the drama a while ago with Michael Ugwu is one example). Ain’t nobody got time for that. This is business, simple! Oyibo do the same all day, every day – analyzing businesses and their competition on their news shows. Can you imagine Bill Gates, Steve Jobs or Zuckerberg back then dropping sarcastic twitter comments any time critics had negative predictions for their lines of businesses?

Stop releasing sarcastic “haters-wanna-see-me-fall” statements and concentrate on improving your business and taking it to the next level. You know, like well written and produced original content. Or maybe paying the few good Nollywood producers and directors (Afolayan, Kelani, Okwo, etc) a fair wage so we can watch their latest movies on Iroko. Otherwise, they will go to Netflix and guess what? We will follow them there. I mean, “Confusion Na Wa”, “The Meeting”, “Phone Swap”, “October 1st”, “Ije” and on and on – why can’t we watch them on Iroko, which is supposed to be the premier avenue for Nollywood content?

Please spend more time trying to improve quality and content for your customers, instead of trying to throw shade at random commenters on the “interwebs”.

36. Jadore

January 8, 2016 at 7:58 am

I just recently cancelled my Iroko TV subscription this January. I have had my membership since September of 2012. . I enjoyed it while it lasted. I left because I want new and latest Nigeria Movies like October 1st and all, But Iroko keeps giving me Iweka road type production which I don’t have a problem with. I noticed I could watch those types of movies on YouTube for free, so Why pay monthly for Alaba productions. My goal is to open Neflix tho, cos I watch plenty of American movies and Nigeria movies, so I want to subscribe to where I can enjoy Both and for less too. sorry Mr., Jason, but I wish you the best tho with your business.

37. Olajide

January 8, 2016 at 10:15 am

Jason should try and accept this is a big challenge to the industry. Netflix has won many customers through their one month free subscription and on the other hand Iroko is not rebranding plus their poor customer service. Here in Australia, all our family members subscribed to Iroko but the payment method and upload of exclusive igbo/English movies discouraged us so we opted out. Try and see the introduction of Netflix to Nigeria as a challenge for you to step up your game.
    P.S. Imagine “Fifty” which is still hot in cinema but already on Netflix.

38. Susan

January 8, 2016 at 10:43 am

The arrival of Netflix isn’t just ‘an issue’ for Iroko Tv alone but also for Telecom companies, Cinemas and the Likes. What network will provide the best data bundle to Netflix and chill?Instead of going to the cinemas,can I just Netflix and chill at home? I like to see how these dynamics will play out. I understand Mr Jason’s point but Netflix is coming for the BIG PIE in Nigeria,Iroko TV what are you gonna do?

39. Naveah

January 8, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Typical Defensive Egomaniacal Jason Njoku response. NOBODY WANTS YOU TO FAIL BUT my guy, Pepsi and Coke all exist in the United States doing what they do for their particular market, we don’t hear the CEO of either company bashing each other in the media and defending themselves. They indulge in friendly competition via their advertisement, innovative new ideas, spokespersons etc.

You actually did the opposite of whatever you had in mind with this write up, you sound scared, you sound SHOOK, bruh! You would have done better to ignore any side comments but of course you couldn’t resist saying something because of your gigantic Been To ego. Stop talking and commence putting action forward to improve on your business. I hope that Netflix will force you to put out better offerings for people’s hard earned money that your wife is using to buy 10 pairs of red bottoms. Start listening to your clients who have been complaining for years of being offered stale movies, you ignored them because you knew they didn’t have other options but NOW Netflix don come put sand sand for your garri. Get your life, bruh and stop writing long winded articles.

Actions NOT Narrative.

40. Geoggy

January 9, 2016 at 10:39 pm

I have read through all the responses and have concluded that the interest of the African/Nigerian movie owners is not being properly considered in the whole arrangement. As it is, Netflix coming into Nigeria is to further starve the Nigerian movie owners of some customers and by extension some revenue especially if the movie owners still remain confused.

Remember that Iroko Tv just like other online movie solution platform providers is just a middleman between the movie makers and the movie viewers.

Who will rescue the movie owners from piracy when they ( Movie Owners) willingly dump their movies on YouTube and could be watched and downloaded for free with the hope that some day one fellow somewhere will wake up and help them fix the piracy puzzle they have created for them selves?

Nigerians as a people need to put their eyes on the big picture especially if we desire to grow our nation.

Nigeria and Nigerians already has a very High tech online Video streaming company and a perfect match for Netflix in the name of NollyLand. NollyLand streams movie free of add and they are not in anyway linked with YouTube. But the million dollar question is, will Nigerians ( I mean movie viewers and Movie owners) support or encourage them?

NollyLand could be located at “nollyland.com”. NollyLand has several very beautiful apps for all mobile devices ( apple, Android, blackberry and Roku Modems) check out “http://nolly.land/apps”

Nollyland has her media player just like Netflix which enables viewers watch movies on NollyLand right from their Television set and not just from the laptops and mobile devices. (Lookup shop.nollyland.com/cart.php?gid=1 )

NollyLand is embedded with adaptive video streaming capabilities which enhances the viewers experience irrespective of the quality of bandwidth.

I will encourage you all to explore NollyLand especially movie owners because it might just be the perfect saviour for the entire industry who knows? Netflix already has content they are only opening those content up for the Nigerian views and not much business for the Nigerian movie owners yet.

In a similar development, in the auto business, a Nigerian Company named “Innoson Group of Companies” (See the links 1 and 2 below) has been rolling out very classical products. They need to be encouraged. At your free time check out the range of cars in their catalog ( See link 2 below)
    innosongroup.com/innosonmotors/buses.php

google.com.ng/search?q=innoson+cars&biw=1366&bih=634&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjvkd-u0Z3KAhVJNhoKHcajANQQsAQIKg&dpr=1

Having said that, Nigerians in the last election voted for change, I will love to encourage us to change the way we view our own product. This is the only way we can grow our economy and empower our own people. And guarantee constant employment for our citizens. Nigerians in the diaspora also have a lot of work to do in this regards. Let us keep our flag flying for the good of our people while encouraging healthy competition and constructive criticism.

Good night

41. papi

January 11, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Iroko tv and Netflix re both good online movie platforms but has anybody checked out NollyLand.com, its purely Nigerian and you can watch Nigerian and African movies on any device: smartphone, tablet,TV, computer….you can download the App for FREE on all major Apps store- IPHONE/IPAD, ANDROID, BLACKBERRY, ROKU TV, APPLE TV, GOOGLE TV AND CHROMECAST via this link at nolly.land/apps

42. papi

January 13, 2016 at 3:20 pm

lets encourage and use made in Nigeria product, Apps like NollyLand will blow your mind…am endorsing it.

43. NR

January 23, 2016 at 4:17 pm

I agree that it’s a bit ridiculous to think that Netflix coming to Nigeria is going to lead to the demise of irokotv. This is because even though Netflix does have some Nigerian titles, it will never have as many as irokotv does. Maybe if Netflix came to Nigeria and starting adding Nigerian movie at about the same time irokotv was created, then I could accomodate the possibility of a demise for irokotv.

However, the simple truth is that irokotv has built up a reputation not just with audiences but filmmakers alike. Now they also make their own movies, and most of their movies are becoming as or more competitive than that of the average nollywood filmmaker. For Netflix to ever overtake irokotv they would need not just a dedicated nollywood section, but also to start producing Nigerian movies.

Looking at it from the scope of other industries, Netflix has Indian movies and Korean dramas as well (so yeah it is a better alternative if you are a light nollywood watcher with varied interests who can’t afford both at the same time, yes) but if ever there was an internet space dedicated solely to those sorts of entertainments, they would still be doing much better in their category than netflix for that category.