News

How Inspiring! Nigerian-American Teenager Accepted into All 8 Ivy League Schools & 4 More

160406-augusta-uwamanzu-nna-super-student-yh-0130p_6b260e1fd006a530a99c67f06cb10571.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000

17-year old Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna, the Valedictorian for Elmont Memorial high school has been accepted into all eight Ivy League schools and four more! She sent applications to Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University and Yale University, as well as Johns Hopkins University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New York University, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and gained admission into all.

Last year, another Nigerian, Harold Ekeh also from Elmont Memorial High school accomplished the same feat. Ekeh was born in Nigeria and relocated to the US at the age of 8.

Uwamanzu-Nna, born to Nigerian immigrants has until May 1st to decide which of the schools she’ll like to attend.

“I am humbled by all of the college acceptance letters that I recently received…. I am reminded that I have a responsibility to be a role model for others and use my experiences to encourage and inspire others, especially young women.” she said in a press release

She owed her success to her parents and teachers in Elmont Memorial, sayin she is “elated” and “thankful”.

“My parents have always taught me the value of hard work, and I am very thankful for that. My teachers at Elmont Memorial have also played a major role in my development. Elmont Memorial is a very special place, where teachers start their days at 7 a.m. and leave very late in the evening. It is a school where teachers love children and are dedicated to academic achievement. My recent accomplishments reflect the hardworking ideals of the town of Elmont, my supportive parents and my dedicated teachers. I am elated, but most importantly, I am thankful.”

Uwamanzu-Nna also told WABC that her success did not come easy, saying “I’ve struggled with numerous classes in the past, but I guess what allowed me to be successful … is my persistence and my tenacity.”

Uwamanzu-Nna who was a finalist in the 2016 Intel Science Talent Search for her research on cement also received an invitation to the White House Science Fair on Monday.

Watch her interview with WABC here:

1. Anon

April 7, 2016 at 10:07 am

Congrats, egghead.

2. Tru

April 7, 2016 at 10:08 am

…but she isn’t Nigerian. She was born in the US and has lived there all her life. Her inspiring story simply exemplifies the opportunities that are available when you have a good educational system in place that allows you to explore your potential and soar. Nigeria has nothing whatsoever to do with her success and should not be credited at all.

• 'Deola

April 7, 2016 at 11:58 am

She is of Nigerian parentage though. It is splitting hairs to say she is not Nigerian. Also to add to what you mentioned, it goes further to explain what determination, discipline, good upbringing and a family support system can achieve.

It has nothing to do with the opportunities per se, but the willingness of the individual to exploit those opportunities. There are many African Americans that are rooted in those societies that have not taken advantage of those opportunities. I think her High School is a public school, not private. And prior to her achievement, there was another Harold Ekeh that achieved something also similar. I know the Ekeh family come from modest means, but I have little information on this particular family.

This a f-cking big deal anyway we dice it. There are many spoilt brats that come from wealthy Nigerian families and that have also gone on to private boarding schools that can’t match this level of success. This should mean a lot and that it is possible to those aspiring to great academic achievement.

• E.A

April 7, 2016 at 12:51 pm

loool what are you talking about because she wasn’t born in Nigerian it doesn’t make her Nigerian, guessing she’s also not igbo any more, no matter where you are born heritage stays with you because she’s igbo ethnically that means she has every right to be called Nigerian.with your view all the Europeans and blacks, Asians and so all no longer can claim Irish American, Japanese american and so on because only their parents or grandparents were born abroad. You cannot dismiss someone’s bloodline. Nigeria played no part in her education but does not stop her being Nigerian

• Yvonne

April 7, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I don’t think Tru meant that she isn’t Nigerian as per heritage. I think she meant Most Nigerian teenagers can’t relate to this story. The guy with the 4 point gpa is relatable but not this beautiful bright lady, due to their different circumstances. When you have the right resources in place, with supportive parents and all, getting into Ivy would not be daunting. I got admitted into UPenn and Cornel only back in 2009. My parents were not impressed. All my friends both Caucasian and Afro-American had at least 4 ivy acceptances and more in tow. I had only completed grade 12 in the states. I had majority of my education in Nigeria. So I understand what Tru is saying. Calling her Nigerian is like calling Afro Americans solely Africans which would be unfair. Same skin colour, different story.Shes actually Afro American with Nigerian Heritage. You won’t call Barrack Kenyan, would you?

Congratulations dear! Getting into ivy is great. Brace up for the work ahead. It’s crazy competitive and you can loose yourself trying to define your worth by your grades. Don’t! Grades are only a part of you. There are many others things in your life which are just as important. Balance is key. I hope you choose the one that suits your personality.

• AbegPark

April 7, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Where is Nigeria taking credit? Her parents are Nigerians and only her reserves the right to determine her future and she says her future lies with Nigeria. What’s your problem with that? Abegi park jare.

• Ann

April 7, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Did you even read this article? She was born in Nigeria and relocated when she was 8. How Nigerian does that get? She wasn’t born in the us!!!

• yewi

April 7, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Aunty Ann, if you watched the video, you would know that she mentioned that she was born in the US but has visited Nigeria several times. BN is too blame for the misinformation tho.

• ify

April 8, 2016 at 4:46 am

Nope, it says Harold Ekeh was born in Nigeria, but moved to the US at age 8. Augusta was born in the US. Just thought I should correct that.

• anonymous

April 7, 2016 at 2:55 pm

But the article says she was born in nigeria, and relocated to the US when she was 8.

• Dee one

April 7, 2016 at 10:46 pm

The article didn’t say that, that part of the article was referring to the boy who also achieved the same feat last year.

• Logwu

April 7, 2016 at 3:03 pm

The scammers too shouldn’t be called Nigerians too because Nigeria isn’t responsible for their failure, so Dilly Umenyiora is an American and should never be tagged a Nigerian afterall he wasn’t born here also.

• Logwu

April 7, 2016 at 3:04 pm

kai make una no mind my tautology!

• Noname

April 7, 2016 at 8:52 pm

American wey no fit enter America fa. He ain’t American.

3. keke driver

April 7, 2016 at 10:10 am

Good to know that there are Nigerians out there that aren’t putting us to shame.

4. Person

April 7, 2016 at 10:11 am

Awesome job

5. Nwa nna

April 7, 2016 at 10:27 am

A very well deserved congratulations young lady, wishing you the best in your academic pursuit & life..

6. Wow

April 7, 2016 at 10:31 am

I am super impressed, I pray same for my children. I am going to put it all in God’s hand as I put in my human efforts to support them

7. wow.

April 7, 2016 at 10:32 am

God bless you! WOW!!! You are a star!! May your light keep shining…Amen

8. Stephen Igbikis

April 7, 2016 at 10:43 am

9. Cika

April 7, 2016 at 1:01 pm

good job!!! i definitely wants kids as well behaved and intelligent as her.God bless you child.

10. nnenne

April 7, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Congrats girl.
    This is just the beginning!

11. Iphee

April 7, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Very inspirational. So happy for her

12. chiclero

April 7, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Go girl!! You’ve done a great job! Nigerians making us proud all over the world.
    BN pls could you do a feature on “Dr.ROTIMI BADERO” he’s the only ‘CARDIONEPHROLOGIST(combined heart+kidney doctor)’ in the world. Here’s a link to his most recent interviews:

You can email me if you need more details.

13. Kkay

April 7, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Congrats, girl!
    Thank you for being such an inspiration to other teenagers.
    I am proud of you, your parents and your teachers for this excellent achievement!

14. NG

April 7, 2016 at 6:00 pm

She is Nigerian and we can celebrate her as one. If her parents lived here, forget it, they would have imparted some African values into her. Those values make all the difference which is why not all kids like her in the US are Ivy League materials.

15. lady

April 7, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Lol you people just make me laugh. You can’t compare her educational standard to what we have here. It’s true determination pays but most of us that study in nigeria know how fucked up the system is. Even the private schools and before you defend private schools to say we have AUN and similar unis, remb that they are tied to white people.
    Our environs also affect us o. Some of ya’ll already saying they instilled discipline in her; that’s not the point here. The point is if we had a strong education system, nigerians would literally have great world strenght. Because i know how brilliant a lot of us are. But the system is not helping. There’s a lot to say on this but oh well.

16. naijagem

April 7, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Golly!!! Can we just focus on this young lady’s achievement instead of fussing over whether she’s Nigerian or not. She was presented with a wonderful opportunity, she embraced it and worked hard and got accepted into prestigious universities. Congrats to her

17. Sweetbae

April 8, 2016 at 3:19 am

Ada bekee, nwaoma pls carry go. Keep making us proud…

18. Cuppy

April 8, 2016 at 3:30 am

It was Harold Eke and now its Augusta uwamanzu-nna..thanks for making us proud . But some say its only drugs we do. How some people make generalisations baffles me. Abeg somebody should send Baba this link so he knows Nigerians abroad are also known for positive things too….

19. Uyai

April 11, 2016 at 9:30 am

This american guy’s take on this is hilarious and insightful m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzhuKs2GbjY