News

Sadiq Khan Becomes London’s First Muslim Mayor

Sadiq Khan

Sadiq Khan

Sadiq Khan was officially declared the first Muslim Mayor of London Friday night after defeating rival Zac Goldsmith. Khan amassed a total of 1,310,143 votes, claiming victory over Goldsmith who got 994,614.

Khan whose father was a Pakistani-born bus driver, said:

This election was not without controversy and I’m so proud that Londoners have today chosen hope over fear and unity over division. I grew up on a council estate a few miles from here. Back then I never dreamt someone like me could be elected mayor of London.

I want to say a thank you for making the impossible possible. I have a burning ambition for London. An ambition that will guide me everyday: to give Londoners opportunities not to survive but to thrive, the opportunities to build a better future with a decent and affordable home. More jobs with better pay, not just being safe but feeling safe, cleaner air and a healthier city. Londoners to fulfil their potential.

I’ve been thinking about my late dad. He was a great dad. I am so proud to say that the city he chose to call home has now chosen one of his children to be mayor.

Goldsmith who, together with Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron raised allegations of  Khan’s ties to extremists said after he lost, “I wish him well as he sets out to build on the success seen under Boris Johnson”.

Source: Daily Mail

1. Fashionista

May 7, 2016 at 11:27 am

Goldsmith is just a sore loser. Well done Sadiq, I think you’ll do well.

2. babgiwa

May 7, 2016 at 11:45 am

Congrats Khan. The world is becoming more liberal.

3. FasholasLover

May 7, 2016 at 11:54 am

Zac ran a very divisive campaign. I am glad he lost.

4. Ephi

May 7, 2016 at 12:14 pm

The Tories should have chosen a better candidate. I watched one of Zac’s interviews yesterday where he mentioned he is a Bollywood fan yet he couldn’t name a single Bollywood star when asked (why lie if you’re not a fan?).
    Neither did he know where the museum of London was located even though according to him he visited there recently.

He also didn’t know which stop was next after Bond Street on the Central line.

For someone aiming to be Mayor of London, those were big time gaffes.

5. Tee

May 7, 2016 at 2:57 pm

wow ! what an outstanding speech, see how he avoided bringing his religion in to the fore. instead he gave honor to his dad; if he were a naija man he will start calling for praise worship and thanks giving, though the campaign was marred with smears and overt racism by the other candidate, in the end people saw through their shenanigans. well done Mr Khan , yes you can! ki omo rere ko gbeyin wa o Amin

6. Anon

May 7, 2016 at 4:18 pm

If you know the Goldsmiths you will know Zac never had a chance. Congrats to Sadiq Khan, triumphant for a man with very humble beginnings. We can all hope…

7. Mary