Scoop

Overdoing It? K. Michelle thinks she can “Speak Nigerian” in these Videos

BellaNaija.com

K Michelle

Singer K. Michelle thinks she can “speak Nigerian”.

The International star posted a video clip on her Instagram page and she captioned the video with “Speaking My Nigerian”. Her Nigerian followers immediately attacked her on Instagram saying there is no such language as Nigerian with a few pointing out that she sounded more Jamaican than Nigerian.

Not one to back down, she posted another video and informed her followers “All you school teachers who nobody loved calm down. Nigerian ISNT a language but it’s Nigerian Pidgin English. Stop talking to me. I promise I’m smarter than you”.

?????

A video posted by K. Michelle (@kmichellemusic) on

To end the conversation, K.Michelle tagged Nigerian-American rapper Wale in her third video using a Nigerian phrase “How far my guy?”

Speaking. Love Nigeria. @wale how far my guy? I’m killing it huh?

A video posted by K. Michelle (@kmichellemusic) on

In the third video, which her fans have called disrespectful, she says “Look at me, I’m oga at the top. Look at you, mumu just gossiping and blogging. Shine your eyes”.

*A previous version of this article stated K Michelle said “I’m a god”, but it was “I’m oga at the top.”

Do you think she nailed the Nigerian accent?

1. Pra

June 15, 2016 at 2:05 pm

What an idiot! I am not even Nigerian and I think this girl is an idiot with her “Nigerian Pidgin English “. I wonder why she is shouting when I am sure when Nigerians use NPE, they do not shout. It is like how people ask me to speak Ghanaian and I look at them like,” Kwasia, American y3 kasa ana?(Idiot, is American a language?).

• Abz

June 15, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Lmao! I love your comment

• Pra

June 15, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Abz, well thank you. I have been insulted by African Americans in the past because of my language and culture but those same people are now eating things like Banku, Waakye, and listening to Fuse ODG and Sarkodie. It is ridiculous!

• le coco

June 15, 2016 at 3:09 pm

@pra. I kinda love you right now… lool @kwasia I sware calling someone an idiot kn English doesn’t quite compare to just straight up saying.. KWASIA.. looool

• Pra

June 15, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Haha, thanks! It is much funnier saying it in one’s native language than it is in English.

• Edu

June 15, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Naa. This shit is actually funny. Happy they beginning to recognize their African brothers

2. Titus_Salmon

June 15, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Some Americans are just a bunch of ignoramuses. They ask you if you’re having hippopotamus for lunch, if you’ve been to auto repair shops — since we all ride on camels and donkeys in Africa. God will remember K Michelle and upgrade her brain’s Operating System to Android Marshmallow, someday.

• ATL's finest

June 15, 2016 at 3:02 pm

@ Titus my dear Amen to the brain upgrad . I don’t blame some of these folks & their ignorant life after all, they have never left their Counties let alone been on the ✈ out of the Country. They ask the dumbiest questions I tell U. Honey like one said to me Nelson Mandela is African American really?? Na only him waka come.
      K. Michelle darlyn U have always been on my green light book so pls don’t land yourself on my red light book & Miss me with this foolishness of yours.

3. Tutu

June 15, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Why did she keep saying suffering?

4. Opium

June 15, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Bloody retard!

5. Benson Ossai

June 15, 2016 at 2:33 pm

sometini dey worry you K.Michelle.You dream about naija?.Sorry to disappoint you dear you don’t sound Nigerian.

6. Ben

June 15, 2016 at 2:35 pm

She said oga at the top not I am a god oo… people need to chill… African-American comedians have been roasting us for years no one said anything, she on the other hand is trying to embrace us but you want to attack her…kilode

• nene+

June 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

I think she tried.
      It is not easy imitating other people’s accent

7. anonymous

June 15, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Bellanaija, in the last video she said “look at me I am OGA AT THE TOP”, not “look at me I am god”, quite rude either way but the former seems a little less arrogant.

8. Dtruth

June 15, 2016 at 3:07 pm

All na packaging…She is just hustling for a check from Nigeria…Soon our inferior complex organisers will reach out to her and pay her an outrageous sum her fake bum ass can’t even get in America to come do a half minute wack ass performance in Nigeria…mchewww

• le coco

June 15, 2016 at 3:56 pm

aswr… she shldnt try that shit.. if there are any organisers r promoters on this blog.. walahi if i hear say this bbe deh come naija ehn… it will be official.. our inferiority complex no be here… nobody cares much for this babe and if we are honest with ourselves we know its true.. she will now go on that her ratchet show.. and be claiming she has found a Nigerian prince.. like that mumu kenya..

• Pra

June 16, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Eiii, haha you’re too funny!

9. bn correct yourself

June 15, 2016 at 3:13 pm

I am oga at the top not i am a god

10. Tunmi

June 15, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Oh dear goodness. She’s too cute and talented for this

11. Aderonke

June 15, 2016 at 3:32 pm

If she wants to embrace us, we have no issues with that but she should do it well with respect!

12. Lol

June 15, 2016 at 3:39 pm

You make ONE song with these American artists all of a sudden they think they have found their roots. Girl bye.
    Again if you can pronounce Como estas and Swarovski they can damn well speak common pidgin English correctly.

• le coco

June 15, 2016 at 4:01 pm

YOU BETA PREACH!!

• AtL's finest

June 15, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Amen !!!! Like my aunt told someone at work if u can pronounce “Obama”, U can pronounce my name. All those Italian & French designers that will almost cut your tongue off just trying to pronounce it yet, they know how to say it. Like someone said she’s just trying to hustle some $$$$ from Nigeria with her fake body parts mtchew.

13. queenbee

June 15, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Black Americans r just shocking. I recently had a guy on twitter call me a liar when I said Barack Obama was half Kenyan. No seriously a lot od them dont even get that it had to take an african to become the first black president. Theres a reason for that. As I have always said they r still traumatised from the effects of slavery. A lot of them are deeply insecure and have a very sad self hatred and u can’t blame them. I see them as babies who are still learning where their eyes and noses are. They spew such ignorance on social media. Even their highest of high celebrities can barely speak English as the rest of the world knows it. A beg. Fogive this girl and pray for her.

• le coco

June 15, 2016 at 4:00 pm

ehn.. bt thats why there are books and libraries tht they can make use of… how many people in Nigeria are still traumatised from the effects of the civil war? how many people in rwanda are still traumatised from the genocide? i have met many ppl frm different countries, and some with terrible hiistories.. and NONE have displayed such ignorance..

lets not make excuses for ppl that have an opportunity to learn but choose not to

14. Shola

June 15, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I have a lot of Black Americans friends, who will tell you they do not know anything about their history. Not because they are ignorant but they were not raised orexposed to their history the way we were. Rather than abusing and getting angry at them. Why don’t we just teach them and let them into our world. Expose our culture to them. Imagine if we done a series K-Michele African tour. And we filmed her documentary of visiting various parts of Africa? I do understand there are many black American who disregard our African history. Nevertheless why don’t we teach and equip them. Not everything needs to be a fight from us. This could of been an opportunity to create a change.

• le coco

June 15, 2016 at 4:44 pm

this has nothing to do with knowing ones history.. this was jst plain disrespect… there are times it is funny.. and i disagree with anyone who says tht Nigerians are picking fights over issues so small… Nigerians are the first to laugh with a foreigner who does our accent, and does it right… when trevor noah did it.. we laughed.. when that british comedian came to Nigeria with basket mouth and did our accent as part of his act… did nigerians boycott his show? Nigerians were cracking up and laughing so hard..
      but the issue with the black american comedians… and this k.michelle, is that they dont get it right.. nd they dont even try… if you want to make a joke.. let it make sense abeg.. that american comedian who was making a joke about Nigerians , and was now trying imitating our language by adding clicks to it? how was that funny? it was completely innacurate. had they opened book… or used the internet for anything other than twitter maybe they will know that there is no language in Nigeria that makes use of clicking sounds…

when anthony anderson called DR.sid’s AGBADA a garbage back.. how was it funny?

nobody is attacking k.michelle for doing the accent, but its the way it is done.. and she even wants to tag wale in the post, and insult the very Nigerians tht she is trying to imitate? really?

• Pra

June 16, 2016 at 1:03 pm

It ridiculous but you’ll hear of her planning a trip to Nigeria very soon. Most African Americans could care less about Africa as a whole continent—some even fail to realise that Africa is in fact NOT a country and Africa in fact does NOT have one language, culture, dance, etc. They will gladly take tribal clothes, jewellers, foods, dances, music, etc then turn around and insult the same people who they’re trying to “connect with”. I am sorry to break the news to them but the continent has moved on and they should to.

15. mabel

June 15, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Let queen Bey, Jada, Oprah, Michelle Obama help their case. Lazy ass people. If it were a white girl, you would just see her pack a small bag, oya one time move from one country to another searching. Showing interest after so much Internet search. Their brains working 24/7, legs itchy looking for where to go no matter how dangerous. These black ones *yimu* you think they care? Dull brain people.

16. Ona

June 15, 2016 at 5:34 pm

You guys should chill now anh anh! The babe was obviously trying to learn. Will it kill people to correct her and educate her in the process? Why do we have to be on the defense all the time? Im pretty sure all of us have made some ignorant assumption at one point or the other. If she was making fun of the language/culture then thats another thing…but she’s clearly trying to embrace it, so why not teach and correct her with love instead?

17. Nystyle

June 15, 2016 at 5:54 pm

TOO MANY SAD MISERABLE PEOPLE OUT THERE ALWAYS ATTACKING EVERYTHING…
    YOU GO GIRL K MICHELLE, YOU NAILED THE 3RD VIDEO…OGA AT THE TOP ALLOW ALL THESE MUMUU WITH THEM MISERABLE SELF TO DEY YAN RUBBISH!!!

18. Tolu

June 15, 2016 at 6:05 pm

What do you want from us again?

• Somtoo

June 16, 2016 at 11:41 am

lmao! this right here is the shiznit! When they want something from you, they start seeking your attention. Make una no worry, you will hear this girl is coming here to Naija very soon.

19. Ugougo

June 15, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I can see that all them silicons be affecting your brain!!!!! There are better ways and words to use to do what you just tried to do… we see the shade hun and trust me, Nigerians are the queen of clap backs….. Imagine! calling us suffering and smiling! is it your suffering or smiling abi you bin wan make we begin commit suicide because say country hard?
    Abeg go do some more reduction on your silicon/chinco body parts…. who you epp?. Senseless anuofia!!!!!!!
    A million dollar advice, no go try comedy as a calling cos hunger go wire you no be small.

• Pra

June 16, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Haha ?

20. LOL

June 15, 2016 at 7:58 pm

she tried it!!! ( in tamar braxton’s voice)

21. Tgi l

June 15, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I love k and I think she tried! Can anyone speak chinko fluently

22. nnenne

June 15, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Calm down people. Am pretty sure she doesn’t mean any harm. She picked up some pidgin English and wanted to connect.
    Most Nigerians actually shout/ scream when they talk.

Am not offended. .

23. Lou

June 16, 2016 at 2:43 am

Why is everyone so upset?

24. Lou

June 16, 2016 at 2:45 am

By the way I used to get offended when i heard of people asking if we see wild animals in Africa, till I got to Charlottesville Virginia and people will proudly show me pictures of bears and Deere in their backyards, it’s all part of discovering new culture

25. whocares