Our local Ankara fabric is something of an African icon, representing the diversity, creativity and versatility of African art. It’s no wonder then that the vivid and sometimes chaotic patterns that are a part of our heritage have become a fixture in the contemporary fashion scene, in the form of dresses, shorts, jumpsuits, dungarees, bags, shoes and jewellery.
So how do you take care of your Ankara fabric to keep them on point?
- Always hand wash your Ankara in cold water. Ankara is made from cotton and warm water will encourage the colours to run.
- Go easy on washing. Try not to wash Ankara clothes every time you wear them. Avoid stains when wearing Ankara and hang them in a cool place to air them out.
- Turn your Ankara inside out before washing
- Wash your Ankara with detergent that’s suitable for coloured clothes, such as the new improved Sunlight 2-in-1 detergent.
- For lower grade Ankara fabric, add a little salt to the final rinse to keep the colours in.
- Think Sunscreen. Always spread your Ankara in the shade
Like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @SunlightNigeria for more tips and goodies Sunlight Detergent has to offer.