Sweet Spot

BN Travel: From the One Africa Music Fest to the Beautiful Sights of New York…Read All about Makida Moka’s FUN Trip!

Hello BellaNaijarians!

I’m Makida Moka, model and actress. I was recently on BellaNaija duty in New York for the One Africa Music Fest. I had such a fantastic time!

I did a diary for the week to show you and let you know what I got up to out and about in New York.

So, here it is.

Day 1 – Monday 18th July 2016

The sun was rising right outside my window seat and it was gorgeous! I had to take a picture.

Sun Rise Monday 18th July 2016

On the flight | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

On the flight | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

I was on the Arik Air flight from Lagos to New York for the One African Music Fest on BellaNaija duty all week.

It was a 10 hour flight. We (the One Africa Music Fest team and I) finally landed, got our bags and headed to where we were going to stay for the week. We stayed in New Jersey. It was rush hour when we landed so it took us nearly 2 and a half hour to get to New Jersey from the JFK airport in New York. It felt like a trip on the 3rd Mainland Bridge.

Classic New York Yellow cabs at JFK Airport

Classic New York Yellow cabs at JFK Airport

The New York Times

The New York Times

We finally got to the hotel and settled in; I spotted the New York Times building on the way back and also spotted a Chipotle around the hotel. I had always wanted to try a Burrito, so I thought why not? I had it for dinner.

Day 2- Tuesday, 19th July 2016

Tuesday started off with an airport run. Interestingly, I wasn’t Jet lagged! The trick I did was to stay up past my Nigerian bedtime and wake up at American time and I was fine.

I had to let you know about all the interesting things going on during the week so I went to the airport to pick up Sound Sultan and Praiz who were performers for the One African Music Fest.

Outfit of The Day was this Frankie&Co dress from Grey Velvet Store | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

Sound Sultan & Praiz

Sound Sultan & Praiz

My outfit of the day was a shift dress by Frankie&Co from Grey Velvet.

After the airport run, I was exploring the area of the hotel and I spotted the DJ Khaled “Keys” Tour Bus. Of course I had to take a picture!

Spotted DJ Khaled's tour bus | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

Spotted DJ Khaled’s tour bus | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

Then Tiwa Savage, the only female performing at the concert, was landing in the evening so I had to do another airport run to show you when she arrived. We drove through the Lincoln Tunnel and by the Empire State building on the way.

Empire State Building during the day

Empire State Building during the day

Empire State Building at night

Empire State Building at night

JFK Picking Tiwa Savage up | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

JFK Picking Tiwa Savage up | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

Day 3 – Wednesday, 20th July 2016

I woke up pretty excited about Wednesday. I was going to actually see “The Wendy Williams Show” and a bit of New York City. I watch the show all the time in Lagos and to actually be at the taping was so awesome.

My outfit of the day was this Frankie&Co dress from Grey Velvet.

Outfit- Frankie&Co from Grey VelvetRight After recording Wendy Williams Wendy Williams Ticket

I took the subway and walked around New York City and saw the United States Post Office building and the Fashion Institute of technology building.

Fashion Institute of Technology

Fashion Institute of Technology

United States Post Office

United States Post Office

It was such a great day!

Day 4- Thursday, 21st July 2016

This was the day before the One Africa Music concert. It was quite a busy and interesting day. We had Media rounds in the morning at Channel 11 Pix News and then Revolt TV in the afternoon. Fun fact, Revolt TV is owned by Diddy.

Combs Enterprise. Revolt TV | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

Combs Enterprise. Revolt TV | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

At Pix Channel 11 News

At Pix Channel 11 News

Walking out of the news building | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

Walking out of the news building | Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

My outfit of the day was this Isi Brown Striped top and trousers from Grey Velvet.

I also got to meet one of my favourite comedians from the internet, Chief Obi.

With Chief Obi

With Chief Obi

The Pre Party for the One African Music Fest was also on Thursday evening at a place called Milk River. I couldn’t stay too long because Wizkid was getting to New York that evening and I had to go to the airport.

Nigerian DJ Crowd Kontroller was keeping the party alive!

DJ CK at the pre party

DJ CK at the pre party

It was such a busy day.

Day 5- Friday, 22nd July 2016.

The Day of the Concert!

I got my All Access Pass for BellaNaija and we made our way to the Barclays Center. The Barclays Center is also home to the Brooklyn Nets basketball team.

All Access pass for BellaNaija

All Access pass for BellaNaija

Barclay's center is also the home of the NETS Basketball Team

Barclay’s center is also the home of the NETS Basketball Team

Barclay's Center All set up

Barclay’s Center All set up

I got to meet AyoJay backstage and also see the dressing rooms of the performers for the concert.

Backstage with Ayo Jay

Backstage with Ayo Jay

The stage was all set up and the show started! There was no dull moment. The energy of the concert was electric. Over 17 thousand people came to the concert.

The Highlights of the concert for me were Tiwa Savages‘ performance with Don Jazzy coming on stage to perform with her.

I loved that Wizkid performed his old hits as well as the new ones, and when Swiss Beatz came on stage during Wizkid’s performance it was quite amazing.

DJ Crowd Kontroller was also great at keeping the energy levels up in between performances.

I totally loved Jidenna‘s performance. I really liked that he brought up a masquerade on stage.

I was able to talk to Jidenna right after the concert and he did a shout out to you BellaNigerians. It was a pleasure talking to him. He’s so cool.

Outfit for the concert. Frankie&Co Jumpsuit from Grey Velvet

Outfit for the concert. Frankie&Co Jumpsuit from Grey Velvet

With Jidenna

My outfit for the concert was this Frankie&Co Jumpsuit from Grey Velvet.

Days 6&7 – Saturday and Sunday (23rd and 24th July 2016)

Saturday and Sunday were days for resting and reminiscing on how epic the One Africa Music fest was. It was historic and I was glad that I was able to be part of history.

Had pancakes for breakfast and during the day, I had another Burrito but this time from Taco Bell. I also did a bit of shopping on Sunday.

Breakfast on Sunday Morning

Breakfast on Sunday Morning

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

Day 8- Monday 25th July 2016.

It had been a fantastically eventful week but it was time to go back home to Lagos. We (One Africa Music Fest crew and I) headed to the airport to catch our Arik Air flight. On the way to the airport, we drove past the Yankee Stadium.

The Yankee Stadium

The Yankee Stadium

NYU

NYU

Arriving the airport

Arriving the airport

On the flight back

On the flight back

It was a very eventful weekend for me and I had such a great time in New York being on BellaNaija duty. Thank you BN for the wonderful opportunity. I can’t wait to represent you again in the future ;).

***

I hope you enjoyed all my updates during the week on the BellaNaija Instagram Page!

Thanks for keeping up!

1. Victor

July 26, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Enough fun all the way! New York never bores!

2. Faxie

July 26, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Beautiful pictures and of course DJ CK didn’t disappoint. He is definitely one of the best dj’s In Nigeria. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Lovely pictures btw. Thanks you Bella Naija.

3. Mo

July 26, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Looks like it was all so much fun!! Nice travelogue Makida – love your outfits too.

4. Dee-USA

July 26, 2016 at 9:32 pm

The Knicks do not play at Barclay’s Center. They play at Madison Square Garden.

5. Nonso

July 26, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Interesting travel diary…
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us Makida!

6. wonder

July 26, 2016 at 10:01 pm

nice – what did you put in your burrito from chipotle? ew – taco bell. glad you had fun!

7. lily

July 26, 2016 at 10:24 pm

makida why did you cut your hair?

• Californiabawlar

July 27, 2016 at 12:46 am

Omfg!! I hate this question with a passion!!! ?????????????

8. Krystal

July 27, 2016 at 12:34 am

Oh God
    When shall..
    When will I travel to US atleast for sight seeing
    God even if it’s just 2days for excursion .
    Enough of seeing all this on TV and Internet

Oluwa Pick my call

9. Ola

July 27, 2016 at 2:44 am

@krystal, I used to pray and hope like you. One day, I changed my prays to: God I want to be able to bless people in dollars, pounds and so on. He did pick my prays I am now traveling all over the world and I kept my promise to bless

• Kiiki

July 27, 2016 at 6:44 am

Haahaaaaaa. @Ola, Ngwanu, please bless me with part of my tuition at NYU????.

Lovely pictures Makida. Though, for clarification, that is not NYU. The building holds an office occupied by an adminstrative unit of NYU. All buildings or locations where NYU has a representation “of some sort”, have the NYU flag hung. ??????

10. Moyo

July 27, 2016 at 5:44 am

Awesome,. See enjoyment, see groove, Makida, I wish I was in your place. Bella don’t forget to call me next time you need someone to do this. I know that you forgot so I forgive you.

11. Chinenye

July 27, 2016 at 9:08 am

One day, I will travel the world. So help me God.

12. ifeoma john

July 27, 2016 at 11:08 am

God please pick my darling husband’s call so we all shall be traveling and experiencing good live abroad…….Baba God oya pick up the call…..na abeg i dey beg ooooo……i love good life

13. queenbee

July 27, 2016 at 11:16 am

What’s not to like about this girl. Her acting was on point in gidiup. She does natural like a queen. Her sense of style is just flawless. And she actually smiles by moving her face unlike the countless insecure contoured Nigerian women celebs who are too busy trying to create the right photograph to look human in their photos. Love these pics. Between her and dorcas shola fapson youve got some truly credible celebrities worthy of news platform. NEW YORK IS AMAZEBALLS. I hope the trump era doesn’t ruin the little good left of US of A.

14. Prince

July 27, 2016 at 12:44 pm

I wasn’t there but will all these pics and updates, i can say that the show was awesome. thanks BNTravel.

15. Oh please

July 27, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Makida is just a beautiful girl! Igbo+Jamo blood = beauty. Jamaicans of African descent are believed to be mostly Igbo slaves anyway

16. Adio_Braimoh

July 27, 2016 at 1:31 pm

So narrative and picturing. I’m not left out in the prayer to tour the world. Baba God answer my call!

17. Expert

July 27, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Well done MM. Brief, concise report with clear/explanatory pictures. I have never been to NY but really felt familiar with pictures due to the good narrative, Felt very proud to see the signpost of Arik Air in the Airport. We need more of Nigerian-domiciled brands in the global space. Well done Nigerians. I am very pleased with the efforts of Naija entertainment industry in selling Nigeria to the world. In the Naija entertainment industry, there is no tribe, religious, political divide neither there is GEJ, IBB, PMB, OBJ, Avengers, IPAD abi IPOB, Herdsmen, arms/padding gate……All are one. Lesson for the all and the younger generation. We do not have any other country but Nigeria. I love this country and the labors of our Heroes past shall never be in vain. Kudos to BellaNaija Team for this concept. I suggest you make this a monthly affair and I am sure you will have corporate sponsors.

18. Ndidi

July 27, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Lovely pictures and insights Hun!

19. new bride

July 27, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Excellent write up!

I wish I went to the show.

Now I wish all Nigerian show promoters/concert organizers will learn a lot from this concert! Notice how there were no banquet VVIP tables and all those razz things they do here. And I can bet all my money that the show started on time and the artistes actually did sound check and didn’t just get on stage to mime and shout in our ears!

May God save us from mediocrity.

20. Dee one

August 10, 2016 at 5:05 am

BN I’m offering myself for these kinds of assignments in the future… Abeg. We your readers are capable.