Style

BN First Impression Series: First Date Ideas!

My-Style-Mife-and-Etty-Dale-BellaNaija-Januray2016007

Hello BellaNaijarians!

I’m BN’s Jadesola and I (with some help from my friends… i.e. Eki Ogunbor) will be bringing you the “First Impressions Series”.

Basically, the first impressions series is all about how to make good impressions the first time you’ll be meeting people you hope to build great relationships with. Style tips, etiquette tips and all the things you need to do to make a remarkable first impression.

Because, we know you like to look good and you like “love” as well, the first in this series is all about ‘How to Make a Good First Impression on A First Date’.

A good first date allows for conversation but at the same time takes some of the focus off you so that you’re not under pressure to talk incessantly. It should, above all, be fun. And a great way to do that is by doing some sort of fun activity together.

@Iamgalla

Starting from the choice of location, the impression the other person has matters a great deal as it will determine if you’ll be getting a second date or not. It won’t be fair to take a very “girly girl” to a paint ball arena or force an artsy person to go see your favorite team in action. Totally uncool!

Let’s start with suggestions on where to go for a first date and what to wear after you’ve made a choice.

Go-Kart Racing
For those in search of the adrenaline rush, you could race around and take turns behind the wheel to prove you don’t “drive like a girl” and make sure you have as much fun as possible. Don’t get too competitive though.

@stephaniecoker

@stephaniecoker

Brunch
For a first date, why not suggest brunch instead of dinner? A weekend brunch has a much more casual, easygoing vibe, which means you have the rest of the day ahead of you and you can decide if you want the day to go on or you’ll cut it short and just head home.

Steven Onoja 4

Tracy Iddrisu

Tracy Iddrisu

The Beach
Yes, some people might not like this but as long as you understand that the first date is about getting to talk and bond. You’ll get time to talk and do amazing stuff, so you should definitely take a blanket and a picnic lunch for a guaranteed fun time.

Patricia Bright

Patricia Bright

@Dejonmarquis

Bowling:
This is an old-school date idea with an effortlessly casual vibe, the two of you can have drinks or share some fries while engaging in a friendly competition. The background music remains at the right level so there’s less pressure for either of you to have to think of non-stop interesting things to say. It’s a low-stress environment, so your date will feel relaxed and comfortable, which is very important.

My-Style-Mife-and-Etty-Dale-BellaNaija-Januray2016007

@Dejonmarquis

@Dejonmarquis

Check out a live show or play:
This is more original than a movie and it’s definitely classier. You can both dress up and enjoy yourselves. There’s also more room for talk during intermission, unlike a movie, where you’ll spend the entire time sitting in the dark. Choose a show dependent on your date’s — and your own — taste.

@moashystyling

@moashystyling

Live gigs are also great for a first date as you’ll have plenty of time to grab a drink and get to know each other. Best part is, you won’t have to fill hours with incessant talking. You’ll also get to know what music your date is into, and have a talking point of reference.

Natasha Dlovu

@NatashaDlovu

Tips for a Remarkable First Date:

• Ladies, make sure you have your “vex money” especially if you don’t have a car! It is very, very important!
  • Guys don’t take her to where you can’t afford. What’s the point of taking her to a place only for you to slip out of the back door when you can’t foot the bills. If she doesn’t like the fact that you’re being honest she is obviously not the girl for you.
  • Don’t order what you don’t know! No matter how adventurous you might seem and what not, you don’t want to run off to the toilet every 10 minutes. I can assure you that the second date will not happen.

@yagazieemezi

• Guys,remember that  not every first date idea will work for every type of girl. So before you plan an adventure, make sure she’s down for it. You don’t want to take someone to a museum if it will bore them.
  • Ladies, don’t be afraid to speak up if you don’t like the options on the table, always pick a place that will be comfortable for you.

@highmenstyle

• Most of all, remember to put your phone down! Snapchat can wait
  • The end goal of every date should be clearly stated, whether you’re going to just have fun or you’re single looking for a companion or to get married. But we think this should be a good end goal…

@theduke of excravos

Thank us later!

Photo Credit: Style Society Guy | Style Pantry | Dejon Marquis | Patricia Bright | Fisayo Longe | The Duke of Escravos | Natasha Dlovu | Moashy Styling | Steven Onoja

1. Riri

July 12, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I had so much fun reading this Jade. I def took note!! Keep this up!

2. God's baby

July 12, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Vex money is importanta

• Ayana

July 12, 2016 at 4:39 pm

VERY VERY!!! Just in case he decides not to pay for dinner….Lol

• Jadesola Odujole

July 12, 2016 at 9:10 pm

You know this! ?

3. bruno

July 12, 2016 at 3:33 pm

dear miss jidesola, who is going to pay for all these things. nigerian babes and their long throat.
    go cart riding
    brunch
    beach
    bowling

pls who is going to pay?

• Cindy

July 12, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Bruno, it is really not by force to ask a girl out. You can stay single all your life. No one will complain seriously.

• Tiana

July 12, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Aba Bruno it’s you na… I will bring my bestie just to make sure you spend well well.. hehe he

• Pretty girl

July 12, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Sorry Tiana uncle burno is gay and he doesn’t like nig women

4. H.O

July 12, 2016 at 3:39 pm

BN, thanks for this post o.. Sincerely, a lot of guys really need this tips. I remember a guy my sister hooked me up with about two years ago. On our first date, he invited me to his house.. I agreed to visit only because he wasn’t a stranger to my sister. 20mins after I arrived at his place, bros asked me to get into the kitchen and make semo for him. That was the last time I stepped by foot in his house. 2nd experience – my friend hooked me up this guy…. after two weeks of chatting via bbm, we finally agreed to meet at Ikeja City Mall.. 1. He arrived late.. I had to wait for 20min at Spur . When he finally showed up, he kept chatting, trying to convince me to see Star Wars (which wasn’t my kind of movie) with him at the the cinema and totally forgot to even offer me a drink. But thank God I had cash on me…. Right there, I knew there wasn’t going to be a second date.

• Keeky

July 12, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Wait! What?? Lmao.. I can’t get past the “semo date”.
      You literally made my morning. 😀

• Meah

July 12, 2016 at 4:09 pm

From making semo all the time you would be wifed
      You would have gotten the ultimate Ring and become a MRS which is not easy to come by
      See your self?

• Krs

July 12, 2016 at 4:50 pm

I wish that semo ish was tried on me. I would have made the semo very rough and half cooked and I’ll make sure i pour plenty salt in the semo just to buttress my point.

• Joke

July 12, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Why even cook it then? Is passive aggression the only way to go? Just saying, “NO” is another.

• nwa nna

July 12, 2016 at 4:56 pm

@H.O,Bros is trying to see if you are domesticated & wife material! LMAO!! I am a dude and that has to be one of the craziest stuff ever 😀

• bebe

July 12, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Your semo experience, reminds me of a date I had a while back. Got introduced to this brother by a mutual friend, we chatted for like 2 weeks on BBM. Fear people that never post full body pictures, brother was extremely cute facially, but spotted a huge 9 month pregnancy.

First date, he takes me out to watch football, how he swung that one I dunno, then goes on to say he wants to collect something from his house not too far away. On getting there, I insist on staying in the car. He says he wants to show me something, like a mugu I follow, Brother man takes me to his house and smiling sheepishly and points to his kitchen and goes “that’s the kitchen, shey you know you’ll soon be using it to cook”. Let’s just say that was the last time he ever saw me.

• ElessarisElendil

July 12, 2016 at 5:53 pm

That was a lowkey marriage proposal right there.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

July 13, 2016 at 12:12 pm

?????

It’s like those job interviews that end with HR giving you a mini-tour of the building (“If you get the job, you’ll be working on this floor, our canteen is on the next floor, parking is underground….”). Did he also show you the master bedroom you’ll be moving into? ??

….But at least we can’t accuse these brothers of not being honest. No coyness in their game ?

• Kadara

July 12, 2016 at 6:46 pm

lmao asked you to go to the kitchen and make semo on a first date! he he he the dude was clearly looking for a free maid

• Joke

July 12, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Kadara you are so right. But can one blame him when our women have become doormats just to snag a man because they desperately want to end up being Mrs. Somebody, but they just end up being MISERABLY MARRIED. I have seen that happen too many times…

• Joke

July 12, 2016 at 7:51 pm

HO guys don’t need tips. They are not dumb. They just know what they can get away with. The solution is that women need to be less desperate. Do you think you were the first or last girl he did that to? Hell NO! I’m in the US and I used to be surprised when 9aija guys approach me and the next question is, “When can I come to your house so you can cook for me.” I can’t count the number of times I have been asked that and I’m yet to cook for one. And yes I’m single and love it that way than be a used doormat. My friend that was “cook of the year” for men got married and is divorced already because she realized that once you sign up to be a doormat, the man will expect you to continue being and even be a bigger doormat for life.

• Kadara

July 12, 2016 at 9:54 pm

@Joke, Gbam

• Jadesola Odujole

July 12, 2016 at 9:12 pm

You’re welcome H.O… Thank you for sharing your experience as we have all sorta learnt from it… ??

• Lucinda

July 12, 2016 at 10:29 pm

You don’t know your worth, that’s why you followed him to his house. Something in his body language from the first “hello” would have made you know that you were going to make semo for him in his house that day.

Best first date activity for me is cooking together. In clearer terms, teaching him how to cook. This is good if you’re both looking for something serious and you’re down for some fun and a good chat. Both of can display your wife/husband materialness with this activity. Let him give you the money to shop. If you’re a woman, this date will make you learn about him stuff like:
      1. How generous is he? Did he ask for the price of each ingredient?
      2. How fast of a learner is he/ good he is at following instructions (wink: bedroom tins)
      3. How much he can own up for his mistakes? How does he act when he makes mistakes?
      4. Ability to help with chores
      For men, you will learn:
      1. How responsible is she with money?
      2. How clean and organised she is
      3. How good a cook is she? (of course)

Dazall.

5. Tife

July 12, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Ngwanu

6. me

July 12, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Ladies bring your confident woman money and try splitting the bill in half.

7. Ade

July 12, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Hey guys, please I need serious advice. I would make this short as I can. My best friend introduced me to her now ex boyfriend’s brother during one of my trips to Nigeria. We got talking, exchanged numbers and back to England I went. Communication was good and all until he told me how much he loved me which I also affirmed that I felt the same way until he stated that he could not be with me because he is a Sickle Cell carrier which I had always known and that secondly he would love to marry a Muslim girl as he was one?. I should state here that I am AA and I am not necessarily a Christian but I believe in God and I believe in been kind to one another. So according to him, he would not want to end up selfish by tagging me along. It was a very hard conversation to have but we did and just decided to still remain mutual platonic friends. Honestly, I was madly and still in love with him but it killed me that he never gave our love a chance. We kept talking but it never seemed like old times. He however went on to date two different girls afterwards which I knew about but never worked out for him. I on the other hand went on to focus on my academics and I am happy I came out top of my class, so I never had time for a relationship. Three years down the line, he is back to asking me out and now wants us to give the relationship a shot. I never stopped loving him all these years and I would love to date him but I cannot seem to get past his utterance three years ago that we would never have worked out any ways because of the differences we have. I have not given him a definite response but I said to him that I would love him as long as he lets me. Bella naijirians please do advice a girl who is hopelessly in love??. Aunty Bella please feature me in one of your post. I really do need honest and genuine advices.

• ElessarisElendil

July 12, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Simple do you want children of your own?? If no, go ahead,go crazy. If yes, drop him like he’s hot.

• Kadara

July 12, 2016 at 6:51 pm

She’s AA so how does that stop her from having children of her own? all the children will be AS which is just fine. I’am more concerned by the fact that you are 3 best for him on the other hand he’s a decent guy for not stringing you along. some guys will date you for years only to tell you the bottom line later. Concerning religion hmmmm

• ElessarisElendil

July 13, 2016 at 5:32 am

Ohh, that AA…………..when I saw it next to “not necessarily a Christian” I was confused, thought it stood for atheist or agnostic something that starts with an a.

I am occasionally an idiot, ignore me.

• Clancy

July 12, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Please don’t abeg, he’s not worth the stress, after marriage , lots more decisions to make . Sisteh commot eye for there. Cut him off like hot akara

• Joke

July 12, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Time may have helped him mature more, so his criteria may have changed. So, give him a brief chance, but have back up plan. If he goes back to his old criteria, or wants to change you into a muslim etc, dump him like a bad habit and follow your back up plan.

• Bola

July 13, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Hi! My own two cents is that he’s matured over the years. And since you’re clearly and obviously still in love with him, why suffer? Give it a shot! Remind him of the issues that made him leave initially, his response is very important! And if it doesn’t work it won’t be because anyone gave up, it most likely was not meant to be.

8. Obi

July 12, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Sincerely, im fed up of movie dates and stuff. I like this brunch and beach chills idea. Kart racing can come subsequently. Thanks writer.

9. joor

July 12, 2016 at 6:00 pm

@ade if u can handle marrying SS , I have seen it work #true story ,then him being a muslim, ain’t a problem since you are ,and I quote “not necessarily a Christian” whatever that means * (this is me joking)
    Slaps sense into ur head
    Ok..what is wrong with you pls, first he rejected ur love , then 3yrs after, after being dumped by two other girls, he remembers a left over(which is u btw… I love you but),SS, then u want to forsake ur religious beliefs for his… Going by what you said ..”not necessarily a Christian”. I can’t deal.. sweetie what exactly do you mean by that..cos as far as I know there’s no middle ground in Christianity, either u are or u are not. So plssss do explain

10. Sisi

July 12, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Nice ideas. One quick thing, this vex money that people talk about is strange to me. Feminism or chivalry or whatever, just think about it. You go out on a date at the request of a (gentle)man with the (grounded) expectation that he will pay. Nice! None the less do my fellow women go out without their purses whether date or no date? Even if you don’t want to take the whole purse just a debit card/some cash just in case anything happens more generally not because you must carry vex money? Maybe my diaspora thinking is not understanding something here?!

11. Ade

July 12, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Thank you to everyone who gave advice, I hope to get more opinions and I can only hope Bella naija feature this. Thanks once again. Xo

12. Meah

July 13, 2016 at 12:10 am

she thought of marriage and all of a sudden she realized she wasn’t “necessarily a Christian “?
    May God help us oh
    Marriage is difficult,then add different religion
    Well …

13. Mz_Danielz

July 13, 2016 at 12:34 am

Dates, take me shopping.

Tbh dears, dating bores me, it doesn’t excite me at all. I’ve never been one to gush about a new guy or anything. It’s one of those things a beg and after dating a while and realizing a lot of Nigerians have unique behaviors, shopping on a first date is a good option at least if you have a horrible xter, the materials purchased will be worth my time.

14. Yummychickcummummy

July 13, 2016 at 10:36 am

R u willing to sacrifice for an SS, do u know what it takes? Have u seen pple that are married to them? Do u know u r just an option because things didn’t work out with the other girls? do u think he would v considered if things worked? What do u mean abt ur religion? R u saying that because of d relationship? deep down what exactly do u want? May God lead u.

15. Mahka

July 13, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Thanks so much jade! First impression dates can be so exhausting. You know,having to sit across a stranger n answer those generic questions n same time maintaining eye contact…too much,too bland. Guys ist dates musnt be at your house, outdoorsy activities sometimes help break the ice. I played badminton with a guy on our ist dates n we were sweating n hugging like some 4years old couple… Thanks again BN, I believe we are getting closer to ‘highly requested match making series’, any Amen in the house.??.lol.

• Ibinabo

July 13, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Amen to ‘highly requested match making series’ lol