Career

British-Nigerian Actor David Oyelowo, Oprah Winfrey, Others Partner to Create Leadership Scholarship for Girls affected by terror in Nigeria

BellaNaija.com

'Selma' Photocall - 65th Berlinale International Film Festival

David Oyelowo

Selma Actor, David Oyelowo is partnering with Oprah WinfreyJanus Funds, Participant Media and NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon to send young girls from Nigeria who are victims of terrorism and gender-based attacks to school.

The David Oyelowo Leadership Scholarship for Girls aims to ensure that the girls are armed with the right tools to excel in society.

Speaking to The Huffington Post, Oyelowo said that the scheme was inspired by the Oprah Winfrey Scholarship for Girls in South Africa. He added that the tragic abduction of 276 girls in Chibok community, Borno state in 2014 propelled him to action.

“For me, being of Nigerian descent myself, being a father to a daughter, I just feel so drawn to this particular group of girls in Nigeria who have been disenfranchised, who have been attacked, and having their very basic rights stolen from them.

And so, forming this partnership to start this scholarship that is going to have actual direct impact to girls who have been displaced through these acts of terror, is something that was kind of a no brainer for me, because I’ve been looking for places to be effective rather than just be angry about some of the injustices that I see in the world,” Oyelowo told The Huffington Post.

Three recipients for this year, will attend Anglican Girls Grammar School in Abuja that is well-known for its emphasis on Science and Mathematics.

Learn more about the scholarship HERE.

Photo Credit: Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

1. Damilola

August 7, 2016 at 4:03 pm

God bless Oprah. I have enormous respect for her. Ms Folorunsho Alakija, do you see what another billionaire is doing in your country.

2. isaobi

August 7, 2016 at 4:47 pm

@Damilola. Why are you making David Oyelowo invisible ? This is obviously his project. Oprah is only supporting him. Give credit where it is due.

• Damilola

August 7, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Thank you, David Oyelowo. I just admire how Oprah gives and supports girls in general. She’s a true humanitarian in every aspect. And a wealthy Nigerian woman can easily partner with David on this project.

3. Ibex

August 7, 2016 at 5:28 pm

God bless David Oyelowo

4. dupsy

August 7, 2016 at 7:59 pm

God bless you David!

This is what I am saying if you have the money or connection please show mercy to those who are less privileged in your fatherland. I am tired of seeing pictures showing how rich or how connected are without reading of how they are using their wealth and connection to help the less privileged in Nigeria.

5. Ndidi

August 7, 2016 at 8:13 pm

I’m here for this !!

6. Tosin

August 7, 2016 at 9:54 pm

kai, i’m so impressed i’m ashamed. God bless you all o. Wow.

• bree

August 8, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Tosin, what is shaming you lol… just take a cue if u can afford to or play your part where you can.