News

“Our citizens must realise that the change they want to see begins with them” – President Buhari

BellaNaija.com

Change Begins With Me8President Muhammadu Buhari, while delivering a speech at the inauguration of the national re-orientation campaign tagged, ‘Change Begins With Me’ in Abuja on Thursday, has called on Nigerians to change their attitude and behaviour if they want to see change in the larger society.

“Our citizens must realise that the change they want to see begins with them, and that personal and social reforms are not a theoretic exercise. If you have not seen the change in you, you cannot see it in others or even the larger society.

In other words, before you ask ‘Where is the change they promised us?’, you must first ask, ‘How far have I changed my ways? What have I done to be part of the change for the greater good of society?’

The campaign we are about to launch today is all about the need for us to see change, not merely in terms of our economic, social progress but in terms of our personal behaviour on how we conduct ourselves, engage our neighbours, friends and generally how we relate with the larger society in a positive and definitive way and manner that promotes our common good and common destiny, change at home, change in work place, change at traffic junction, change at traffic lights, etc,” he said.

The president decried that the level of lawlessness and degeneration in our national life has almost fizzled out honesty, hard work and godliness.

Buhari noted that students prefer to embrace cultism rather than face their studies because of eroded values, adding that it is for this same reason that pipelines are being vandalised in the country.

He called on Nigerians to shun corruption and other social vices.

President Buhari said the disintegration of social values encouraged impunity and corruption in the public sector which ultimately led to the current economic recession.

The event was attended by ministers, state governors, and members of the judiciary.

See Photos from the Launch:

Change Begins With Me1 Change Begins With Me2 Change Begins With Me3 Change Begins With Me4 Change Begins With Me5 Change Begins With Me6 Change Begins With Me7

Credit: PUNCH

1. Prince

September 8, 2016 at 4:18 pm

People are hungry Oga Buhari. Some people have lost their jobs and families dissolved. I don’t think those people are ready or in the mood to listen to you.
    Put the right things in place and tell us to change some certain things and we will listen. You don’t give drugs to a dead man. If you can’t provide more jobs don’t let us loose the one we have already. Change starts from the top and you should give us the change Nigeria expects of you.

• Uberhaute looks

September 8, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Change should start with Lai first…he should start speaking the truth!

2. Toke

September 8, 2016 at 4:44 pm

How will the jobs u requested for be managed properly if there are corruptiion is still within us? we need a solid foundation of trust, honest, diligence to work, team leader etc in other to move foward as a person and a country as a whole. #iStandwithBuhari #cbwm

3. EE

September 8, 2016 at 5:09 pm

“Buhari noted that students prefer to embrace cultism rather than face their studies”.

Guy just casually slandered the millions of students that did not, have not and will not embrace cultism. Seriously obodo a na agwu ike.

4. Bodunade

September 8, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Yes change.

When you and your senators slash your salaries and start to collect minimum wage then change has truly started.

They have spent tens of millions designing Logo and coming up with mumu slogan.

It is finished!

• tunmi

September 8, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Honestly this will probably do the most to restore public confidence. Take a pay cut.

• Iris

September 8, 2016 at 5:34 pm

It also starts with you. Stop travelling. Cut allowances. Not salaries o, allowances.

5. ejiro

September 8, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Yes, it begins with us until the govt gives 24 hours notice to demolish buildings that house said change. #iveheard

6. Nene

September 8, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Truth. Nigerians need to change their ways. I’m also looking at you lot in the diaspora.

7. Mabel

September 8, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Roll eyes

8. nne

September 8, 2016 at 8:03 pm

After you Mr. President. First, sell at least half of those Aso Rock private planes, then cut allowances for yourself, your cabinet & publicly challenge your APC Senators and Reps to vote to cut their allowances, Then, sit down with your team or hire a proper economic team to come up with a real plan to get us on the right footing. Only then can you come to me and tell me that change starts with me.

9. Marian

September 8, 2016 at 10:12 pm

All you corrupt politicians,contractors, yahoo yahoo boys… change your ways!!!

10. justpassinthru

September 8, 2016 at 11:07 pm

There are some truths to what he said. However…
    1. “Change begins with me or you” I don’t know the man personally but I will say he needs to practice what he preaches,,,change begins with you….I mean come one i feel he needs to stare harder at the mirror..but then again I don’t know the man and can’t claim to no the “changes” *wink wink* that he and his cohorts are currently enjoying
    2. It’s nice to know that he or his subordinates read the papers…unlike his predecessor

11. Jamce

September 9, 2016 at 2:38 am

1. Has Buhari changed from being a military dictator with a feudal mentality?
    2. Has Buhari changed from being nepotic despot with disregard for human rights and constitutional processes?
    3. Has Buhari changed from being a supporter of Boko Haram and the murdering lawless herdsmen? Has Buhari changed from being a religious fundamentalist bigot?
    4. Has Buhari changed from being a liar to show us his secondary school certificate? Has Buhari changed from new found profligate life of “Alhaji Travel” all over the world?
    5. Has Buhari changed from blaming past govt for his lack of solutions to the problems he campaigned to fix?
    6. Has Buhari changed from his lawless disobedience to constitutional court orders?
    7. Has Buhari changed the FAMILIAR SPIRITS of KWARUPSHIAN he appointed in his government?

12. Anonymous

September 9, 2016 at 4:23 am

My people, I was driving at Airport road when this police/politician convoy turned sharply and hit my car. The police men came down with guns oh and people started signaling at me to move that my car was fine. When I drove 2 miles later, they told me my bumper was falling off. Had to hold it with a wire and will drop it at the panel beater. It was those same people signaling me to move that told me they noticed my anger and where afraid for me that I’d do something drastic and the police men had already cocked their guns. Change begins with me, when a salary of 250k monthly isn’t enough. I have my GMAT exams next week and I can’t register for it yet you October cod of the exchange rate. Bugatti, stop talking, the rate this nation is going, there will be wide spread anarchy.

13. nnenne

September 9, 2016 at 11:28 am

Oga Buhari, a hungry man knows nothing about change.
    Let’s star with your promises!

• nnenne

September 9, 2016 at 11:30 am

Oga Buhari, a hungry man knows nothing about change.
      Let’s start with your promises!