Sweet Spot

“Don’t covet the seeming perfect lives you see on social media… Live life on your own terms” – Genevieve Magazine Publisher Betty Irabor

BellaNaija.com

Betty Irabor

Genevieve Magazine Publisher Betty Irabor shared some inspiring words on her Instagram page this afternoon.

She talks about how you can be true to yourself and not covet the seemingly perfect lives of others.

Here’s what she had to say

“Don’t put plaster on what needs surgery” it’s such a great day to be alive and behold the goodness of God. Remember that you cannot filter reality So remain true to yourself and don’t covet the seeming perfect lives you see on social media. People have scars that are masked . People put a plaster on what needs surgery. Live life on your own terms. It’s ok not to have it all figured out.

1. Oloye

October 20, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Point on! Tell her..:)

2. Fashionista

October 20, 2016 at 2:59 pm

We have hear aunty Betty!

3. Bella

October 20, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Preach Aunty!

4. madman

October 20, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Its like someone whose wedding anniversary is today who posted pictures of self and partner on social media. I read the messages of people “tapping” into that anointing…. “I wish for a relationship like yours.”

LMAO ~ The anointing of “side chicks,” “STDs” and “fighting.” This guy cheated on this wife only 3 weeks into his marriage and continues to do so.

So yes – don’t tap into anything just ask that God’s will be done in your life. Face your front and F.O.C.U.S. Don’t allow people try to make you jealous with their so-called perfect lives.

5. Oma

October 20, 2016 at 3:38 pm

BellaNaija, what is all these adverts popping up on my desktop nau? I am not interested in MTN 4G warreva bikonu!

Preach Aunty Betty!

6. tunmi

October 20, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Hmm I get it. I do. Being content and loving oneself cannot be overstated. Yet it keeps sounding like a pacifying message. Y’know some people do have darn near good, if not great lives. Some people don’t have scars.

7. Butterflies in the afternoon

October 20, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Okay guys I have gist ( I want to say it online to people I don’t know so I can fully express myself).

I had a meeting with a partner and when he walked in upon sighting him, my heart skipped. He isn’t all that handsome. He is tall, dark, masculine but he isn’t all that handsome, yet my heart skipped.

I stylishly asked him how much he earned ( he’s replacing someone so I framed the question like I wanted to know if pay was the reason his predecessor left) and it’s okay.

And he kept asking questions that we a bit informal ( we weren’t flirting, he just reached out a bit more like we both knew there was something but it will be unprofessional to follow it through).

He had that I’ll hang out with you at a club, be that charismatic head of department, support your dreams and give you great sex.

I felt kinda wow so I can still feel something for guys ( I’m at that stage where I smile a lot, laugh a lot and I’m so warm because I’m like I’ve seen it all jare, just be happy single) and then he isn’t extremely handsome ( he is fine oh but not extremely) and he is young and not very rich (people in his position earn between 700k-1m and he’s less than 35. I’ve always liked way older men) but I liked him; not the butterfly type ( okay I admit, butterflies and my heart skipped a bit but it was the peace and safety I felt in his presence like I could depend on this person, be protected, trust him to deal with my cray cray and respect him wholeheartedly because of the person he is). All these I felt in just 2 hours.

Just had to gist someone.

• Pam

October 20, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Hahaha… i know that feeling! If you’re colleagues u’ll need to watch it tho b4 it turns sour and ur seeking advice on the aunty bella column.

8. Rose

October 20, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Great advice…but perhaps people like her can also stop with promoting this seemingly ‘perfect life’ on social media, magazines etc?

9. Awiase

October 20, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Tell em.Someone was saying on another blog that Tonto’s hubby has bought her several gifts including cars but her husband has bought her nothing and is not affectionate.And that she is thinking of leaving and some wise’ ones on the blog were blaming her for marrying a stingy poor guy.I was sad ?.Because of material stuff you thinking of leaving?Lfe is not a competition and I am saying this again,never believe all that you see on social media.Do you know what goes on behind closed doors?What work does your hubby do and what does the other person do for a living?Is the person born of rich parents or family?Because I know some here who are grown,married and have kids yet get financial support from their parents,do you?.Some men buy expensive gifts for their wives after cheating on them.Would you want that to a poor faithful man?.Also some would buy with their own money and come out to say hubby did .No matter what,no one has it all in life.Most peep put out a perfect life pic on social media but honestly how many wont?.It doesn’t mean they have it all.At times I look at some pics and some spouses look like they’ve been forced to take the pics especially the men.hmmm.We are all favored if you think you haven’t,look at yourself in the mirror and what do you see?Life!!!Jtst think of how many peep died today.Be content.All fingers are not of the same size.And also never wish bad for anyone having more than you do.Pray over it if it’s your weakness and for thinking good for such ones God would bless you too even if it’s not with riches,there are far more invaluable things in life.

10. Wits end

October 20, 2016 at 5:40 pm

It’s easy for Aunty Betty to give such advice. She is doing well. Got married to a good man at an early age and has a comfortable lifestyle. Alot of people are struggling out there and need serious help as to how to figure life out.

• Idomagirl

October 20, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Did you even read what she wrote?

• Anonymous

October 20, 2016 at 9:17 pm

@Wits end it’ll be well in the end. Just trust God and obey his commands. Have faith. Also stay true to yourself. Really true to yourself not Social media truth.

11. Alariwo

October 20, 2016 at 6:12 pm

This teaching is why people will NEVER be content. If you need to tell yourself that the other person’s life is not perfect to be content, then you will NEVER be truly happy. Face your work and be content because guess what? Some people are happily married, sexy and rich, and so what? Some of you inspecting whose husband is cheating are married to much poorer men that cheat, so what is your point. Or the Ines who judge bleachers but filter all their IG pictures to look yellow. Why must you inspect whether the woman’s husband is cheating to make yourself happy? She sha still has the gorgeous picture perfect family and the expensive whatever that her bae got her. Face your own life, work towards better and be happy. Because no matter what you do in this life, someone out there has a better marriage, body, bank account, travel itinerary, cuter kids, finer face etc than you, but that doesn’t mean that yours isn’t great either. And if yours isn’t great, work towards it. If people spent less time looking for flaws in other people’s lives, they would have more time to improve their own lives. I’m not a celeb and I don’t even live in Nigeria, but the truth is bitter and you people should stop this bad belle preaching in the name of being “content” or making yourselves feel better. You’re all able bodied adults for goodness sake.

• Idomagirl

October 20, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Exactly! You don’t have to look for the problems in someone’s life before you can be content with yours.
      God bless you for this comment.

12. Minimalism pays

October 20, 2016 at 6:36 pm

As if she is speaking to me I live in a very very small space in VI …. attend all the events I can afford everyweek especially the free ones… I go to work on the island …never spend a day in traffic and yes I use keke na pep and uber…. I get my very cheap massage deals on Dealdey.com ……my ghana weaving hairstyle fits me great … I know how to shop for the coolest deals in Balogun market……..my minimalistic lifestyle is sweet and effortless and I even have even received a better job offer but lately…..I have learnt never to try to keep up with the Jones or Kardashians …. Thanks for this article !

13. chic wen sabi

October 20, 2016 at 10:52 pm

@minimalism pays, wise way of living. To my friends they think I earn so huge of a salary. Me that know all the places that I can get affordable things that will look as if I just stepped out from a magazine. Anyways, live right and be true to yourself and you will find out that life is easy.
    Never envy or compare yourself to any person.
    People know how to ‘PACKAGE’…..make I drop my pen for here…..

14. gbemieO

October 21, 2016 at 11:02 am

She didnt start out living this fancy lifr yoi see….she has grown her marriage…grown her bisiness and grown every othrr thing in life…lofe is in stages dont comapre your chapter 1 to another persons chapter 100