Career

“From College Dropout to Corporate Sellout”! Steve Harris is This Week’s #BellaNaijaMCM

BellaNaija.com

The #BellaNaijaMCM is a new column on BN where we highlight men -from all walks of life – whose stories are an inspiration to us.

Not many people in the world today can boast of dropping out of university, and then going on to become successful in their field of endeavour, but here is a man who did not just drop of out of the university once, but twice!

That was not a deterrent to him, as he is now leading a successful life as a Management Consultant, and a Life Strategist.

Because his grades were not up to par he was “advised to withdraw” from the University of Benin in 2004.

He enrolled in Madonna University that same year but left after 7 months because of the embarrassment. Wrong move you may say…. yes it was. Steve even agrees.

Steve came back home and was depending on handouts from his younger sister who was now working in one of the airlines in Nigeria. One day, the sister got fed up and told him there was no more money for him.

Steve had gotten the card of one of the leading Motivational Speakers – Fela Durotoye – who was the CEO of VIP Consulting at the time. He met up with him and told him of his challenges.

Fela encouraged him and began mentoring him.

Steve said at the time, he was working as an office assistant on a N10,000 per month salary. He later resigned to volunteer in Fela Durotoye’s firm.

He says he volunteered for 5 months without pay, but he gathered enough experience.

He also, out of his own volition, drew up a marketing strategy for sales of Fela Durotoye’s information products – Fela Durotoye’s dire need at the time.

He began working in Fela Durotoye’s firm, learning all he could until his opportunity came; Fela Durotoye had a training engagement in one of the banks, but he hadn’t completed the training with another company. He called a couple of associates but they were busy and could not make it for the training scheduled to start in less than 24 hours.

After much deliberation, Steve stood up and said he could do it. He had been taking notes from Fela’s sessions and practising with his mirror for months. Here was the opportunity, and he had to step up to the plate.

After a fountain of fear and a wind of pep talks, Steve was prepped to take on the role of training new recruits (graduates) of a bank. He went on to deliver an excellent speech and was greeted with claps and a standing ovation. That was the end of being an office assistant. This was in 2006.

Today, Steve is the author of two books; “From College Dropout to Corporate Sellout“, and “From Friend to Fiancee“.

He’s a highly sought after motivational speaker and turn-around expert who guarantees high performance for individuals and organisations in 90 days or less.

In July 2011, he was recognized by the United Nations/YFP as a Young Ambassador For Peace due to his increased impact, inspiration and selfless service to the Nigerian youth.

His podcast has been rated among the Top 15 in the Training category in iTunes and has been downloaded over 200,000 times.

He was also honoured as one of the “Ten Outstanding Young Persons Award” by the Junior Chambers International (JCI) Nigeria in September 2015.

Steve Harris is our Man Crush Monday today!

1. Wow

January 9, 2017 at 11:41 am

God is wonderful. Who God has blessed……….

2. Big Tee

January 9, 2017 at 11:59 am

I like his story….. he inspires me….. more grace bros….

3. BlueEyed

January 9, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Ok I thank God for his story, but one time I listened to him I thought he was a Nigerian who had lived in the states or grew up there, but he’s lived majority of his life in Nigeria and this brother speaks with an American accent, that to me seems a little bit fake.

• Oh Wow

January 9, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Wow, if you keep digging for the negative side of every story you just might find it. Welldone.

• Steve Harris

January 9, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Honored and humbled.

• me.com

January 9, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Lol. You can buy accent at the airport sef didnt you know

• Steve Harris

January 9, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Lol.
      Yep, lived out of the country for several years.
      Junior high and some High school.
      So, that’s about 5 years.
      That’s as fake as it gets.
      Lol.
      Thank God for helping a brotha out.

4. me.com

January 9, 2017 at 3:04 pm

wow. this is inspiring.

5. nene

January 9, 2017 at 4:52 pm

these days some people don’t even want to know you, or even mentor you for free. he’s one of the lucky ones.

6. nene

January 9, 2017 at 5:00 pm

does anyone know why he couldn’t graduate from university twice?

• Steve Harris

January 9, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Hi Nene,
      Got kicked out in my 2nd semester of my 3rd year. Had issues with my lecturers and I guess I wasn’t cut out for my course of study – Industrial Math.
      My do over ? Kicked myself out cause I was mentally fagged out and emotionally drained. But hey, since then, I’ve invested in excelling in my field via certifications and coaching and tonnes of grit and grind.
      Hope this helps?

7. Dee

January 11, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Steve is sooo good at his job… really inspirational and engaging guy, he led retreats at my workplace twice and each one was awesome.

8. Engr. Isaac Aigbokhai Okogie

June 12, 2017 at 10:00 am

I attended his executive section yesterday in Port-Harcourt, Steve is good at his job.
    Though he was dropped said to have out of the University of Benin, where I graduated in a bachelor degree – B. Eng. Mechanical and Master – M.Sc Engineering management., I paid money to listen to his lectures yesterday, Steve specializes in coaching and displayed great expertise and competence in the tactics of growing business. I will like to see him again. – Engr Isaac Okogie, PE SPDC

9. Oty Emmanuel

November 2, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Welldone, i’m inspired

10. Goke

April 14, 2018 at 11:24 am

It’s good to listen to Steve Harris every time you need a lift in your spirit. Trust me, you will get that desired lift. So much emphases on certification and college degrees have hindered a lot of people s’ confidence to show case their gifts because of the criticisms of not having the certificates to get jobs when actually they can deliver better than those who have it. He knew what he was doing and he had the plan mapped out all along before that opportunity presented itself. And when it came, he went for it and here he is. Good inspirational story of a man that many can learn from.

11. Saheed Soneye

December 1, 2018 at 7:40 am

This is inspiring. We are not limited by our past but by our vision.

12. oroe

March 22, 2019 at 9:06 am

wow
    i am so much inspired
    this world is really complicated