News

“It is all about women advocacy at the end of the day” – Pretty Mike on Why He Puts Ladies on Dog Leash

BellaNaija.com

Lagos nightclub owner Mike Eze-Nwalie Nwogu, popularly known as Pretty Mike, finally opened up on the events of the last couple of days.

In an exclusive interview with PUNCH, he said there is a mission behind his action, and was very much shocked as Nigerians had already crucified him before hearing his side of the story.

I have done it twice and let us not make it look as if it is something I have been doing all the time. The two times I have done it were weddings where I was part of the groomsmen which means that I have a personal relationship with the bride and groom. The overall reason I chose to do this was because of the mission statement behind it. It is just unfortunate how people are so quick to jump into conclusion without actually finding out what is going on. All they think is that it is an abuse, or a form of slavery or perverted thoughts.

For me, there is a mission statement. I would give you some examples to explain the mission statement behind my action. I would not call any names but I am sure we all know about an Emir that was given a 15-year-old as a wife. To me, that is putting women on a leash. We talk about traditional rulers that marry underage women, that is putting women on the leash. We talk about boyfriends and husbands that beat their spouses and abuse them physically, emotionally and spiritually, that is putting women on a leash. I needed to get the world’s attention first to be able to pass across my mission statement. It is all about women advocacy at the end of the day. It is all about empowering the women. These women have no voice. I refer to the girls I use as super heroes and we had to do something drastic in order to be heard and get the world’s attention. Now they are talking about it.

Yes, there are other ways I could have gone about it but there has to be a new way all the time. This is the era of social media and if I come up with a good write-up about women advocacy, nobody would pay attention to me. I would not even get up to ten ‘likes’. We are in the era of social media and if you pay close attention, something drastic has to happen to get the attention of people on social media. Most of the people that have become popular on social media did so by doing something drastic, different and unique.

On the rumors surrounding the payment of N30,000 to the girls, he said;

I did not pay those girls! they are a part of my team. I am the owner of Club Uno and I have a team of people who I work with. I sat down with the team and we discussed this before I embarked on the action. When we did it at first, the level of curses we received was incredible. I was the one that suggested that the girls put on a mask so that we don’t deviate from the main point. If the masks were not on and their identities were revealed, you can imagine what they would have been going through now.

He said he would allow his daughter go through the act if it was for the right cause.

“A lot of people have done dramatic and extraordinary things even as far back as the civil movement and women have stood up for what they believed in, so if I see a picture of my daughter on a dog leash, knowing full well that I have trained her to the best of my knowledge and in the way of the Lord, I would simply pick up the phone and give her a call. I would ask if she is okay and if she replies that she is, I would tell her about the picture I saw and ask what is going on. If she tells me that she is doing something in terms of women advocacy and she is trying to liberate women, I would tell her to ride on. If it makes her happy, I would tell her to go on.

I have been in this business for about 10 years and all through those years, I have been very controversial. If you go through my Instagram page, you would see that these are things that I am used to. I am a bit surprised that most of the people that have been bashing me are women between 35 and 50. I understand that they are upset but I was expecting that they would act more maturely because when I went through their Instagram pages, I realised that they have kids. How can a mother tell me things like I would die and my mother would perish? It only lets me know that this country is so backward that we have a long way to go. Most of the ladies that said things that were so mean were mostly mothers. I am not upset because I was already expecting it and I decided to put myself through the pain, abuses and curses because I am trying to achieve something,” he said.

1. Nene'sMa

January 15, 2017 at 12:31 am

Chop slap**?**

2. Madman

January 15, 2017 at 12:39 am

Smart man. Lmao~

3. vim

January 15, 2017 at 1:00 am

……what won’t we hear

4. Joker

January 15, 2017 at 1:22 am

The Nigerian police force have reset his brain.He’s now talking sense, continue reading from the script of your lawyer.

5. Author Unknown

January 15, 2017 at 1:35 am

Lie! Posing gone wrong. It’s not a craft again? Lol. Let’s even say the craft is your cause, While I believe in freedom of expression, had you pulled this stunt in Alausa, or in Abuja, while Senate was meeting, your ‘craft’ would have been taken differently. Having said that, I think Lagos State Government’s priorities are misplaced by coming after this guy.

6. ireti

January 15, 2017 at 1:54 am

Ori e o pe, stupid mike

7. iou

January 15, 2017 at 2:41 am

Hunger is a terrible thing…..what else would have led these young girls to agree to this level of dehumanizations

8. Ottawa Queen

January 15, 2017 at 2:54 am

Shldn’t this guy be serving his jail time already according to the Lagos state govt investigating this as a criminal act? Why’s he still here talking shit?

9. kay

January 15, 2017 at 3:38 am

That the ladies were not nude might be a good way to see from his own point of view/narration.

10. Cocobutter

January 15, 2017 at 3:45 am

Pretty mike all you have said is hogwash to me, you just wanted attention and you got it!! You wanted controversy and you caused that too, so run along dirty dog!! Kmt!!

11. Nk

January 15, 2017 at 4:16 am

Damage control gone wrong. Your PR people are so dumb and for the records, sometimes silence is golden! Just shut up! Enough said!!!

12. Lolz

January 15, 2017 at 5:12 am

I don’t know who told this guy to talk, you need to leash yourself and I’m happy the govt nipped it in the bud! So many impressionable pple out there.

13. Anne

January 15, 2017 at 5:30 am

I don’t like putting my mouth i what I don’t understand. Women’s advocacy- Pretty mike you should have been the one on a dog leash, then truly we will know those ladies are superheroes.

• keechi

January 16, 2017 at 6:00 am

Lol exactly what I was thinking. It should be the other way round, he should be the one on the leash if the point he’s tryna get across is women empowerment. Mschewww lol

14. MJ

January 15, 2017 at 5:34 am

Advocacy oshi wo????, please who is this man’s PR? @ prettymike Even if you want to lie pls do it with common sense and make sure your PR goes over that lie with you. IN 2017 YOU’RE ADVOCATING FOR WOMEN ON A LEASH??? YOU MUST REALLY BE UNEDUCATED/IGNORANT. SHAME ON YOU, go back to school!!!!!! OR AT LEAST IF YOU WANT TO WASTE ALL YOUR MONEY ON NONSENSE, WASTE IT ON GOING BACK TO SCHOOL TO GET EDUCATED. TO CUT THE LONG STORY SHORT, THIS SPEAKS OF WHO YOU REALLY IN PERSON. WHEN BLACK PEOPLE ARE FIGHTING TO END SLAVERY, YOU “ADVOCATING” TO BRING IT BACK. IS THIS NOT THE SAME WAY SLAVERY STARTED? CHAINING PEOPLE ON A LEASH (WHO WAS YOUR SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER)? #ITSNEVERTOOLATETOGOBACKTOSCHOOL #PRETTYMIKEGOBACKTOSCHOOL #GETEDUCATED. ABEG you guys should HASHTAG #PRETTYMIKEOLODO, why? because i feel somehow this guy will get away with the law, yet again! The law will cover his ass, yet again! By the way, OLODO means someone that is DUMB, STUPID/UNEDUCATED. please you don’t have to go to school to get educated and differentiate right from wrong. THIS WILL BE A WAKE UP CALL FOR PEOPLE LIKE HIM #PRETTYMIKEOLODO #PRETTYMIKEOLODO #PRETTYMIKEOLODO

15. Star

January 15, 2017 at 5:49 am

The hospital is looking for this psychopath that ran away while the security guard was out of his post. Please help us to catch this evil, before he causes mores damages on this earth. Lord have mercy on us.

16. MJ

January 15, 2017 at 5:56 am

#LAGOSSTATEGOVERNMENT #SHUTDOWNPRETTMIKE’SCLUB #ONLYGODKNOWSWHATGOESONINTHECLUB YOUR PR TEAM DID NOT TELL YOU TO ADVOCATE IN THE FORM OF A CAMPAIGN??????? YOU HAD THE AUDACITY BECAUSE OF YOUR MONEY TO ADVOCATE WOMEN LIKE THAT AT A PUBLIC PLACE, AND IT LOOKS TO ME THAT YOU ENJOYED THE ATTENTION. I PITY THE BRIDE AND GROOM OF THE WEDDING YOU WENT TO. YOU MIGHT JUST HAVE PUT THEM IN TROUBLE. #PRETTYMIKENEEDSAPRTEAM #PREETYMIKEOLODO #PRETTYMIKEOLODO PLEASE TAKE A CUE FROM YOUR BIG SISTER, CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE AND ADVOCATE WOMEN WITH RESPECT!!! i am sure very soon he’ll make the girls come out to make a video that he asked their permission and that they consented to it. The poor girls who need to make a living would obviously do as thier #OLODOBOSS says. #DONTUNDERESTIMATENIGERIANS #PRETTYMIKEOLODO #PRETTYMIKEOLODO #PRETTYMIKEOLODO

17. Ebi

January 15, 2017 at 6:45 am

Stop granting interviews up and down. Can you just let people forget this issue? Try using your sisters for the advocacy or are they not women?Please don’t question our intelligence

18. EC

January 15, 2017 at 7:52 am

Bella why are you giving this guy a platform

• Stephen

January 15, 2017 at 8:39 am

Why not. His a gud guy

19. Stephen

January 15, 2017 at 8:39 am

Big up pretty mike

20. May

January 15, 2017 at 9:03 am

He got the attention he wanted…

21. Susie

January 15, 2017 at 9:08 am

is this the same guy who was said to be Bobrisky’s secret bae?

22. funmilola

January 15, 2017 at 10:05 am

does he know the meaning of the word ” advocacy”? this guy is delusional,which girl in her right senses will do this for free…. big time mumu

23. Bam

January 15, 2017 at 10:40 am

This guy should just shut up abeg. Why didint you suggest this your brilliant idea to your mum or sister or cousin? Just apologise and forget about it.

24. stephen

January 15, 2017 at 11:10 am

Girls sometimes enjoy intimidation ok he never gave them a dime and he should not
    the girls simply love it that’s it ok they enjoy his company simple ok he runs a club is part of the fun these girls are cute girls and they love it ok please everyone just shut up

25. soulsuit

January 15, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Oh Pretty Mike .. What a pitty!

And for Idris Okeneye ( Bobrisky) , i thought lagos state has a law in place against lesbians and guys. : 14 years imprisonment for violators..

Please lawyers, has he not contravened this law. He is becoming a source of wrong influence to innocent children..

26. Blueberry

January 15, 2017 at 4:22 pm

This guy is stupid. Women Advocacy abi?!

27. Mo'Diva